GM

May 8th, 2019

7:15 PM

The Doyle Theater

The Doyle Theater wasn't exactly a big place, but it was nice and had a certain charm. The place had just two screens, and they were rarely full, even on the best of days, but still, the place made enough money to keep running. The building had once been an actual theater, but about ten years ago it had been converted into its current form. Much of the decor still showed its past, and it was honestly part of its charm.

And on this particular evening, Gauss and Forever Boy of Claremont Academy had decided to pay the theater a visit. There was one movie in particular that Gauss been talking about...

Selena walked along the sidewalk with her friend and schoolmate Pan, "I still can't believe you hadn't seen Star Wars before last weekend.  Especially with as many nerds are in our school.  Anyway, I heard about the Doyle playing this movie when I came out for Alien Day two Fridays ago.  After your reaction to Star Wars, I feel showing you the other great science-fiction franchise is a must.  And The Wrath of Khan is frankly the best movie of the bunch."

As they strode down the sidewalk, Selena reached into her pocket to pull out a few bills to pay for the tickets and snacks.  She felt something of an obligation to cover the costs since pitched the idea for this particular outing.

Forever Boy

Walking. Always walking. Even if Pan did not see the need for secrecy of identities, he would at least respect his friends' needs, and so, he was walking, rather than flying. It took longer, and it was not quite as fun as flying, but that was how it was. "I imagine there are a great many movies I have yet to see, nerds or not." He leaned in a bit closer, flashing a grin. "After all, we did not have movie theaters back on Neverworld. Many other wonders, sure, but no moving images on giant screens." He decided to leave out the part about only having been on the Earth for less than a year so far. He had not exactly been shy about being from somewhere else, after all.

And of course he had loved Star Wars, so this, Star Trek? Now that should be fun to see. Honestly, both being Star somethings made it a bit confusing, but he was willing to brave the confusion! And while Selena might be paying the tickets, he insisted on the snacks. Including lots and lots of popcorns. Ever since his first visit to a movie theater a short while back where Danica had introduced him to the wonders of popcorn with butter, he had been hooked.

Selena picked up box of Raisinettes and a medium soda for herself as Pan ordered the biggest bucket of popcorn the theater sold.  As the duo made their way to a pair of seats in the sparsely populated theater she quietly commented, "Speaking of which, you've seen the Disney movie loosely based on you and Neverworld by now right?  Because if you haven't, we're adding it to the list just so you can pick apart what they watered down for kids."

Taking a sip of her soda, the young magnetokinetic relaxed into her seat while the pre-movie slideshow of ads, mostly for local businesses, ran on the screen.  As the advertisement urging people to pre-purchase their season passes to Ocean Heights came on she leaned over and whispered, "That reminds me, after this, want to fly over and check out the park while they're setting up for the summer?"

Forever Boy

"Yes, a few insisted I watch. It was... strange. Like a funhouse mirror, I suppose." A pause to chew some popcorn, while he leaned back in his seat. "At least Captain Hook was more entertaining than the Hooked Man. I find it stranger still how much the book and movie has right, than how much is twisted." It was a bit difficult to explain, really. The girl and the family having the right names was so strange in the first place.

He had to admit, he did enjoy these ads more than the rest of the theater seemed. Maybe it was just the fact that they did not have anything like it at all on Neverworld, or maybe it was nice to relax with what was normal in this world, just for a short while? He honestly wasn't sure, but these commercials did show him a different side of this world.

Pan was brought out of it by Selena's question. "Ocean Heights? That is the amusement park, yes?" His smile twisted a bit, growing wider. Maybe just a tiny bit wider than that of a normal human. "Time for some mischief and unsupervised fun? I am, of course, in." An amusement park! And after hours! Oh, he could not resist that!

Setting her chocolate covered goodies in the seat's cupholder she stole a couple pieces of Pan's popcorn and leaned back into her chair, "Now, imagine if you were able to pick up royalty checks from that...  Weirdness factor aside, you'd have a steady source of income after graduation."

"Honestly, I just like sitting on top of the Ferris wheel or one of the other tall rides and looking out at the city.  It's incredibly relaxing," Selena commented.  Taking a sip of her soda she added, "It's a nice little break from the, if I'm being honest, insanity that is our school.  I wouldn't trade it for the world, otherwise I'd have abandoned ship my first winter up here but sometimes you just need a quiet place away from it all.  Well, as much as you can without leaving the city."

Forever Boy

Pan frowned at Selena's comment. Get away from the insanity that was their school? But why? Even with everything that had happened, he had to admit one thing: He had rarely been bored. Except for during classes, of course. Now those could be boring, dragging on endlessly at times. "Honestly, I quite like it at the school, insanity and all. If anything, it is a grand adventure. There are few things worse in the world than being bored, and aside from the classes and homework. Besides, I have done many things, but I do not believe that I have ever attended a school before." He honestly couldn't remember. Maybe he had spent some time in a school at some point back on Neverworld, maybe he had not, but nothing like Claremont, at least. He did like being up high, at least. 

He slowly chewed some popcorn, savoring the flavor, while he looked up at the screen. Now that Selena mentioned it, there was actually something he remembered that he wanted to ask her. "Why did you decide to come to Claremont? Everyone seems to have their own answer to that."