Psy Strike (PL 10) - Bisexuhell

Bisexuhell

Psy Strike
Power Level: 10 (150/150PP)
Unspent Power Points: 0
Trade-Offs: None

In Brief: Psychic girl discovers her mother's superhero costume after her death, decides to use her powers to help people. Fast and strong, but not smart.

Alternate Identity: Rose Callux (Secret)
Birthplace: Freedom City

Residence: Southside, South Freedom, Freedom City
Base of Operations: Southside, South Freedom
Affiliations: None
Family: No living close family; Amy Callux (Mother, deceased), unknown father

Description:
Ethnicity: Caucasian
Height: 5 ' 9 “
Weight: 190lbs
Eyes: Green
Hair: Short, scruffy and dark brown.

Standing at roughly 5'9”, Rose looks a little bulkier than your average 18-year-old. She's quite attractive in appearance, marred only by a couple of little scars, a small one on her right cheek, and one just above her left eye, from the scrapes she's gotten into during her heroics (there are more on her body, but she's not in a rush to show everyone). She tends to dress quite casually, in t-shirts and jeans and trainers, usually in non-branded ones (they're cheaper, after all).

Her costume is a fairly simple spandex bodysuit covering everything below her neck. It is a deep purple colour on the body, with a lighter purple on the legs, and comes with a purple domino mask. It's a little worn out, and the colours have faded slightly.

History:

Raised by her mother, Amy Callux (her father left when she was a couple of years old), in a small house in Southside, Rose's powers started to manifest at age 6 when she levitated the tv remote over to her when she wanted to change the channel. Amy couldn't afford to send her somewhere or pay for someone to train her power set, so she decided to do it herself, in her back garden or wherever she could find space. Rose was far more interested in training than any academic study, but she was never good at that anyway, so it didn't bother her. In school, she used her powers subtly and tried to go unnoticed (but couldn't resist using them to get on the gymnastics team). She was also naturally very sociable and outgoing.

Her life changed when, one night, local mob boss Eddy Garcia broke the front door down and shot Amy right there in front of poor Rose. She tried to fight back using her powers, but he shrugged off her punches and threw her to the ground, laughing as he just walked away. Orphaned at age 12, the police came to take her statement and agreed to put her into foster care, but nothing happened. Maybe a file went misplaced, maybe something worse happened, but they didn't come back to put her in another home. She quietly dropped out of school, and still no-one came to even check on her. She was well and truly alone.

Over the next few years, she did what she could to survive. She spent a lot of her time during the day begging (and pickpocketing if she really needed it), and on a night she'd train hard. When she was 16, she managed to get a job at a fast food place. A little later that year, looking through her mother's bedroom, she pulled the right book out of her bookcase and the whole thing span around. An awestruck Rose discovered that, on the other side was a superhero costume! Alongside it was a note, addressed to her.

“Dear Rose, if you're reading this it means you've discovered it by accident. I planned to give you it for your eighteenth birthday, along with an explanantion. See, back in the day, I was a superhero. I didn't do much – I mostly operated on Southside, helping random people and foiling the odd robbery – but I helped people. I think you could take on that legacy too, help those who can't help themselves, which is why I took the time to train you. I think you should be the next Psy Strike. I love you more than anything, Rose. Signed, Amy.

PS: Try and act surprised when I show you the costume, please.”

Overcome with emotions, she did the only thing she thought she should – try the costume on. It fit her well, and from then on, she did the same thing her mother did – help those in need of it, even if it was just in the little corner of the world she knew.

Personality & Motivation:

Rose is a cheerful, outgoing girl with an optimistic outlook on life and humanity as a whole, despite her childhood being stolen from her. She's very confident in her abilities (almost to the point of cockiness), and will use them however she can to protect the average person. She enjoys a good fight, and is motivated by a strong moral compass and desire to help and save people. She tends to be distrusting of authority, however, especially the police, and can be far too quick to rush into battle when she sees wrongdoing.

Powers & Tactics:

In a fight, Rose tends to hit hard and fast. When fighting a group, she'll use stealth and intimidation to her advantage before knocking down as many of them as she can as fast as she can. One on one, she'll charge in and start smacking people around before they can fight back on any real level. While she does have ranged options, and limited usage of her telepathy, she prefers to fight up close and personal, unless the situation absolutely needs her to hang back.

Power Descriptions:

Her psychic powers are mutant in nature, but her movement, dexterity and strength come from her using her psychic abilities rather than due to something inherent to her genetics. When she's not using her powers subtly, they have a golden look to them – for example, her Blast is a ball of transparent golden energy, and using them to carry something heavy gives her a golden aura around her.

Complications:
Wealth – Struggling: Finds it difficult to make ends meet, but at least she still owns her home.

Responsibility - Job: She has a job, and it is quite important to her that she keeps it considering her financial situation. If she keeps disappearing on the job, she's gonna get fired.

Mistrust of Authorities: Due to her past, and the way she fell through the system, she's gained an apprehension towards trusting authority figures, especially police officers. If someone tries to pull rank or speak from a place of authority, she's going to be openly wary of them.

Enemy – Eddie's Mob: Rose has a reputation amongst the Southside crime syndicate that killed her mother as being dangerous to their plans, mostly by virtue of operating in the exact area they work. They know her secret identity, too, as they were familiar with her mother, who used the same costume.

Can't Drive: Growing up poor, her mother didn't have a car, so she hasn't the faintest clue how to drive one.

Abilities: 2 + 6 + 2 - 2 + 5 + 5 = 18PP
Strength: 18/12 (+4/+1)
Dexterity: 22/16 (+6/+3)
Constitution: 12 (+1)
Intelligence: 8 (-1)
Wisdom: 15 (+3)
Charisma: 15 (+3)

Combat: 8 + 12 = 20PP
Initiative: +10/+7
Attack: +10 Unarmed, +8 Melee, +4 Base
Defense: +10 (+6 Base, +4 Dodge Focus), +3 Flat-Footed

Grapple: +16/+11/+21 with Telekinesis
Knockback: -3

Saving Throws: 5 + 5 + 3 = 13PP
Toughness: +9 (+1 Con, +8 Defensive Roll)

Fortitude: +6 (+1 Con, +5)
Reflex: +11/+8 (+6/+3 Dex, +5)
Will: +10/+6 (+3 Wis, +4 Enhanced Will, +3)

Skills: 40R = 10PP
Acrobatics 4 (+10)

Bluff 2 (+6)

Climb 2 (+6)

Concentration 6 (+9)

Intimidate 4 (+8)

Knowledge (Streetwise) 4 (+2)

Language (English [Native])

Notice 5 (+8)

Sense Motive 5 (+8)

Stealth 4 (+10)

Sleight of Hand 4 (+10)

Feats: 21PP
Attack Focus [Melee] 4

Attack Specialization [Unarmed] 2

Defensive Roll 4

Distract [Intimidate]

Grappling Finesse

Improved Initiative

Improved Trip

Luck 

Trance

Takedown Attack

Weapon Bind

Dodge Focus 3

Powers: 6 + 6 + 4 + 4 + 10 + 4 + 10 + 24 = 68PP

Enhanced Strength 6 [Telekinetic] [6PP]

Enhanced Dexterity 6 [Telekinetic] [6PP]

Enhanced Will Save 4 [Mutant] [4PP]

Enhanced Movement Array 1 [2PP Array, Feats: Alternate Powers 2] [4PP]

• BE: Leaping 2 [x5, Running Long Jump 100', Standing Long Jump 55', Vertical Jump 25', Telekinetic] {2/2}

• AP: Speed 2 [20 MPH / 250' per Move Action, Telekinetic] {2/2}

• AP: Super Movement [Slow Fall, Telekinetic] {1/2}

Super Senses 10 [Mutant, Danger Sense [Mental], Mental Awareness 2 [Mental], Uncanny Dodge [Mental], Accurate 2 [Mental], Extended 2 [Mental], Radius 2 [Mental]] [10PP]

Super-Strength 2 [Effective Strength 28, Heavy Load 1200lb, Telekinetic] [4PP]

Telepathic Array 4 [8PP Array, Mutant, Feats: Alternate Powers 2] [10PP]

• BE: Communication 3 [Mental, Feats: Subtle 2] {8/8}

• AP: Illusion 5 [Psychic, (Mental, Visual, Auditory), Feats: Progression, Flaws: Phantasms, Limited (one subject)] {6/8}

• AP: Mind Reading 8 [Mental] {8/8}

Telekinetic Array 10 [Mutant, 20PP Array, Feats: Alternate Powers 4] [24PP]

• BE: Move Objects 5 [Telekinesis, Strength 25, Heavy Load 800lb, Extra: Range [Perception], Feats: Precise, Subtle, Split Attack] {18/20}

• AP: Blast 9 [Telekinetic, Feats: Precise, Split Attack] {20/20}

• AP: Deflect 6 [Telekinetic/Mental, All Ranged Attacks, Extra: Ranged] {18/20}

• AP: Trip 10 [Telekinetic, Extra: Range [Perception]] {20/20}

• AP: Strike 9 [Telekinetic, Feats: Mighty] {20/20}

Drawbacks: (-0) + (-0) = -0PP

Total: 18 (Abilities) + 20 (Combat) + 13 (Saving Throws) + 10 (Skills) + 21 (Feats) + 68 (Powers) – 0 (Drawbacks) = 150 PP

DC Block

ATTACK              RANGE      SAVE                           EFFECT
Unarmed             Touch      DC 19 Toughness                Damage [Physical]

Blast               Ranged     DC 19 Toughness                Damage [Energy]

Move Objects        Perception +5 Grapple                     Pinned/Bound

Trip                Perception DC 20 Strength/Dexterity       Trip

Strike              Touch      DC 23 Toughness                Damage [Physical]

EDIT: Now that I've sorted the formatting and a touch of bad math, I'd appreciate a little bit of feedback (especially on my math. Her powers haven't been trained formally or properly, only by her mother, so she's not the best at using them (hence the lack of Flight and Force Field), and they're a little bit weaker than the normal psychic to reflect that.

Edited by Bisexuhell

The backstory and personality look good. I'm just going to point out that this character is under caps pretty much everywhere. Defensively she is PL 7.5 (Def +8/Tou +7), offensively her biggest attack except for the Trip is at PL 6.5 (+3 DC/+10 Att on Unarmed) so Psy Strike is going to punching well below her weight class. There's also a few math errors and rules anomalies that I think should be pointed out.

Combat: 8 + 6 = 14PP
Initiative: +10/+7
Attack: +10 Unarmed, +8 Melee, +4 Base
Defense: +8 (+3 Base, +3 Dodge Focus, +2 Defense), +1 Flat-Footed

Grapple: +16/+ 11/+21 with Telekinesis
Knockback: -3

Saving Throws: 5 + 5 + 3 = 13PP
Toughness: +7 (+1 Con, +8 Defensive Roll, -2 Toughness)

Fortitude: +6 (+1 Con, +5)
Reflex: +11/+8 (+6/+3 Dex, +5)
Will: +10/+6 (+3 Wis, +4 Enhanced Will, +3)

I don't think you can actually remove from Toughness and add to Def directly like that; at the very least I've never seen it.

Telekinetic Array 10 [Mutant, 20PP Array, Feats: Alternate Powers 3] [23PP]

• BE: Move Objects 5 [Telekinesis, Strength 25, Heavy Load 800lb, Extra: Range [Perception], Feats: Precise, Subtle, Split Attack] {18/20}

• AP: Blast 9 [Telekinetic, Feats: Precise, Split Attack] {20/20}

• AP: Deflect 5 [Telekinetic/Mental, All Ranged and Mental Attacks, Extra: Ranged] {20/20}

• AP: Trip 10 [Telekinetic, Extra: Range [Perception]] {20/20}

I'm not entirely sure Deflect would work with Mental attacks, my image of it is always like Captain America's shield. I'm not entirely sure how it would work with a Mental something.

17 hours ago, Bisexuhell said:

DC Block

ATTACK              RANGE      SAVE                           EFFECT
Unarmed             Touch      DC 25 Toughness                Damage [Physical]

I don't know how you got this number. The character has 16 Str (so +3) and Toughness saves start at DC 15, so it should be DC 18 for the Toughness save.

The +/- Defense/Toughness comes from the trade off at the top. Since it confused you, I removed the bits you'd highlighted, and it should be obvious from the top bit where it's come from. The Deflect thing comes from the core rulebook (at 3 points per rank, you can deflect mental attacks), but I was imagining it as a telekinetic barrier so it doesn't really make much sense, so I got rid of it. I added the actual attack bonus to the Toughness save, which comes from misunderstanding what was said in chat, so that's altered too now.

On the topic of being underpowered, I shoved some numbers around - alongside fixing some really bad maths (6 ranks of a 1pp/rank power makes 4pp, apparently) - and it should look a little better now, I think. A little more feedback would be appreciated, however.

8 hours ago, Bisexuhell said:

The +/- Defense/Toughness comes from the trade off at the top. Since it confused you, I removed the bits you'd highlighted, and it should be obvious from the top bit where it's come from.

Trade-offs aren't numbers you directly add or subtract from your values, they just affect your caps. So a +2 Def/-2 Tou trade-off on a PL 10 doesn't mean the character gets +2 Def and -2 Tou, it just means that their Def cap is now 12 and their Tou cap is now 8.

he Deflect thing comes from the core rulebook (at 3 points per rank, you can deflect mental attacks), but I was imagining it as a telekinetic barrier so it doesn't really make much sense, so I got rid of it.

But by definition, attacks with the +Mental extra are Perception range and can't be blocked with Deflect; Perception range attacks don't need an attack check, so they can't be affected by Deflect.