"Well, we can't just take things without telling anyone, so we do need to speak to someone... but we could take you to the Hunter Museum, yeah."

Stronghold was... torn.  On the one hand, this guy didn't seem to have done anything wrong... no, stealing from the Curator didn't count, it was the Curator.  "At least see if this rock can help you, right?  Then, we can see if you can't at least get a sample of it."

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will sighed inside of his mind when he saw they weren't going to take the reasonable route. And then he remembered he was a psychic who could talk to people with his brain. He only just managed to avoid smacking his forehead. They were a bit far out from the school, but he could just manage it...

It took him a moment before he found the staff member assigned to "watch duty" for the night, and sent a brief mental message giving an update and asking that the Freedom League be contacted quietly about the matter. Externally, he seemed to just be hanging back and nodding his head slightly.

"Okay, fair enough. To the Museum we go! But, uh, buddy? You might want to stow the giant space gun first."

Ah, right, the kid was a psychic too. Mind-Set mentally chided himself for the lapse of memory. It was like somebody forgetting he could turn invisible.

That aside, Thoughtspeed raised a very good point about the crashed spaceship's weaponry. No sense in just leaving it lying around to go off and kill some harmless animal or unsuspecting hiker.

Walking over to the Ochre Defender, the ephemeral psychic nodded politely to her "Hey, Stronghold, could you give me, Maelstrom and our space-buddy a lift to the museum? I saw you flying around earlier, and you're quite a bit faster than," putting an arm around his sister's shoulders and sighing dramatically, Nathan said "my frail flower of a sibling. And with your protective forcefield we'll be safe from bugs, too. She always steers me into bunches of flies, I swear. You gotta quit that, Maelstrom, it isn't funny!"

Nathan turned his illusory head to Haukea and shook it in mock exasperation.

"Um... I'll see what I can do, but I'm not that fast."

Stronghold smiled slightly, as she started to build up a platform to carry everyone to the museum.  "And I'll be sure to keep flies off the windscreen as well."

The platform build itself up into an inverted dome-like shape, with a flat bottom- it would be a bit of a close fit, but everyone who needed a ride could get on.  And there was even a stepladder to get on.  "Right, Air Stronghold flight 1 now boarding, please keep you arms and legs onboard for the entire flight."

Thoughtspeed shot a sloppy salute toward Stronghold, but didn't make a move toward her construct. 

"Tempting, but don't really need it. I'll see all of you slowpokes at the Museum!"

He crouched for just a moment, like a runner at the blocks...and then was gone! His black-clad form quickly moved out of sight, a mere blur of black with a couple bits of green here and there where his Morphic Molecule costume let that strange kinetic energy build up and then discharge safely (to both Thoughtspeed and those around him). 

As he ran, the world seemed to slow down. Objectively he knew it wasn't like what happened with his father; time was still moving the same. Will was just going very, very fast. In fact, some days he worried if he'd ever be as fast as his father; when he went all-out right now, he occasionally had to struggle to keep his mind going fast enough to not face-plant at 200 miles an hour. 

Whoops, almost tripped over a poodle. He needed to stay in the zone right now...

Maelstrom sniffed at her brother’s reliance on Stronghold’s platform. “I have never dropped you more than once per flight,†she said haughtily. The alien somehow folded his weapon down into a hand-sized device that he slipped into an inside pocket, and climbed onto the orange platform. The quartet rose into the air together and made a beeline for the Hunter Museum on the edge of town.

They landed without incident and after a quick conference the heroes were let inside without paying. The rock in question was in a displayed in an exhibition that cheerfully announced it was about “PARTICLE PHYSICS -- THE SCIENCE OF THE FUTURE!†Diagrams of the Large Hadron Collider and of the structure of quarks and leptons decorated the walls. Plaques talked about how sub-atomic particles interacted and the strange ways quantum physics said they could work. The sentences were active and single-subject, but the halls were empty.

the rock in question wasn’t much to look at, being an oblong chunk of dark rock with silver-white veins running through it. The alien approached the rock and pulled out his folding tool again, running it over the front of the rock. “Oh, my yes,†he said. “I think this will work nicely!â€

In the museum, Mind-Set's large frame was dwarfed into normalcy by the high ceiling and sweeping exhibit, which he took an avid interest in as the heroes reached their final objective. Physics wasn't Nathan's strongest suit, but the telepathic twin could at least appreciate the dizzying complexity that the exhibit hinted at. In a way, the interaction of invisible, momentary flickers of particles that went on without anyone aive really understanding it, and only recently knowing it existed at all, reminded him of synapses. 'And someday we'll be able to grasp both. One by one, all the mysteries of the universe will be solved. Where there was ignorance will instead be wisdom.' Just the thought put a sparkle in his too-blue eyes as he inspected one of the plaques.

The ease with which they'd been allowed entry had helped a lot to relax Mind-Set. Good cause or not, just taking the priceless stone was entirely out of the question to his mind. Smiling at their guest as he expressed his satisfaction, the psychic said "That's good news. Be a shame to come all this way just to be let down. Sorry there aren't any spaceships around here not owned by the Freedom League at Freedom Hall, there used to be a company for them but they turned out to be in league with evil or something. Big mess."

The towering man shrugged, "Still, glad we could we help you this far. Anything else we can do for you, space-buddy?

• 2 weeks later...

The alien was engrossed in his study of the rock, to the point where Mind-Set had to repeat his question in a louder tone. “Oh, no no no. This is a beautiful little piece of spaceship fuel.â€

“Spaceship fuel?†Maelstrom repeated, dumbly. “I thought it was a rock they dug out of Antarctica. I thought it was millions of years old!â€

“Oh, tens of millions, maybe,†the alien agreed. “This is what an expended Preserver fuel rod looks like, when it’s had time to sit for a couple of geological ages. But I’ve seen stuff like this, well, a couple times before.†He stepped forward and carefully lifted the rock reverently, almost cradling it. “Oh yes, this takes me way, way back.â€

Maelstrom shook her head. She didn’t understand what this alien visitor was going on about with his past, but one thing was clear to her. “If that’s a Preserver artifact, then it shouldn’t be in a museum, it should be in the hands of the Freedom League.†She reached out towards the alien, stepping forward quickly. Her fingers came into contact with something in the middle of the air, sparking and burning her as she quickly pulled back.

She glared at him suddenly, rubbing at her blackened fingertips, while the alien just shrugged. “I’m afraid I can’t let you do that,†he said. “You’re all just going to have to sit out there while I finish this.†He paused and gave a half-shrug. “Or you might want to get everyone out of the building. Your choice.â€

Thoughtspeed's eyes narrowed behind his helmet.

"Wow. What a shock. I am shocked. So shocked at this turn of event. Hear the shock in my voice."

Well, it could use work, but that was at least mildly scathing sarcasm. He definitely wasn't surprised. The other young heroes would hear his voice in their minds.

--I'm going to start getting people out, but I'm also sending a warning to the Freedom League that we have an alien intruder threatening mass property destruction and death.--

He spoke one last time out loud.

"Well, I guess the initial thought of mine that you were a thieving coward proved correct. Good to know my instincts were right."

And with a *whoosh* of displaced error, he was gone, racing to help get people out of the building while also using his telepathy to send an urgent warning toward the HQ of the Freedom League, which shouldn't be overly far...

Edited by KnightDisciple

~I-! Yeah, good idea Thoughtspeed, I'll try and...and get him talking. Hurry.~ With that unnecessary exhortation, Nathan went into action, heart pounding with horror.

This wasn't supposed to happen!

Mind-Set had stepped forward at once when the cranially-enlargened extraterrestrial had said "This takes me back", alarm bells belatedly ringing in the telepath's mind as he realized with a lurch what Thoughtspeed and Stronghold had seemed to find so odd about their strange visitor.

Pushing Maelstrom behind him, Nathan's eyes flickered as he activated his own forcefield, reaching out with a placating hand to the alien. As his fingers drifted just a fraction too far, the shield crackled and flashed as it hit the opposing barrier. Standing firm, Mind-Set resorted once again to trying to talk things out.

"Pal, I don't think you've thought this through at all. I mean, really? There's no other way this can go down? You just gotta stand there and use space-magic? Look, Stronghold can make a platform miles in the sky, the League can put you in space, you've got options! Look at me." Mind-Set's voice got a sharper edge and his real eyes filtered into view, looking imploringly at the alien "Is this really how you want it to go?"

-Rachel,- Nathan's mental voice rang through the twins' indissoluble link -Can you and Stronghold get something around me and the alien? I might be able to keep him busy long enough to try something, but if it goes bad we need to protect the museum. Please, sis. I'll be fine.-

Malestrom frowned as her brother began talking to the alien, but she knew well enough that there was no changing his mind when it was set. So instead she gestured dramatically, ripping up tiles and moving cabinets through the air, until there was a heavy cocoon surrounding the alien fugitive, the white-clad telepath, and the floating psychokinetic as well. Not going to get out to that so easily, brother, she thought back at him. If it happens to you, it happens to me, too. “Stronghold,†she called out, “put up what reinforcements you can and then help Thoughtspeed get everyone away from here.â€

The alien sighed at Mind-Set’s words. “Listen, I did not come to this planet looking to cause trouble. Trouble followed me. I’m obliged to all of you for dispatching the wardens that the Curator sent after me, but I do not intend to leave a trail for more of those robots to follow.†He hefted the chunk of rock. “This will make sure that the energy is dissipated enough that no one will be able to track me.â€

“Dissipating energy,†Maelstrom said, narrowing her eyes. “Like with an explosion?â€

The alien shrugged with one shoulder. “Explosions spread things around pretty well, yes.â€

“I think we need to find the Curator,†she stage-whispered to Mind-Set, “and apologize for blowing up his robots.â€

"So, you're doing something that's likely to get people- innocent people- killed?  All to keep running?"

Stronghold scowled for a moment, before the Orange Ring shone, and a dome of orange energy rapidly formed over the cocoon.  A dome that rapidly started looking like a vault in its construction, as the Ring-Wielder used her abilities for what they were arguably made for.  "Well, if I can help it, this explosion isn't spreading anything around.  I'll layer as much protection on it as I can- if I could, I'd move us all underground, but I haven't figured out that trick yet."

Haukea frowned at Maelstrom's words.  "I'm better suited to holding this- I'm not sure what range I can keep it up at, and when I build up stone walls, they aren't as strong.  It might be a better idea for me to stay and keep building this up."

Edited by horngeek

"Keep them tough as you can, Stronghold!" Mind-Set called over his shoulder, eyes flashing with gathering power as the muscular psychic placed his fore and middle finger on his illusory forehead, sighted down his outstretched left hand for a bare second, and pushed.

An invisible bolt of raw psionic energy lanced out from his brain, sparked by the computerized neurons interfacing with the organic matter inside his skull and directed right for the core of the alien's psyche. It was badly-thrown, and Nathan grmaced inwardly as he felt its erratic flight, but he couldn't waste a moment. This man was determined not to be caught and was willing to risk as many strangers as necessary to ensure his own safety.

Dropping his hands to his sides, Mind-Set's eyes fixed on those of his quarry's and forced himself to look past the profane flesh to the true spirit it carried, pulsating beyond his vision and sovereign beyond his own will. For the moment.

With an electric *snap* Mind-Set hurled his own mental web against the alien's, struggling to overmatch him, and force one thought to dominate his brain. If he could manage it, they just might succeed, but if he didn't...well, he didn't like the odds of persuading a giant explosion that it couldn't hurt him.

'Whatever else happens, those shields have got to hold! We can't let the museum get destroyed and who knows what it'll take with it!'

• 2 weeks later...

Mind-Set's power rushed into the alien's brain, white static filling his mind and temporarily disrupting his train of thought. The extraterrestrial gave a pained grunt and squeezed his eyes shut, as the sudden migraine-levels of pain pounded down on him without remorse. "You... Damnable backwards fools! The Curator just sent a bunch of scouts... What do you think is going to come next?!"

"Nothing Earth hasn't faced before." Most of Maelstrom's power was focused on keeping the barrier intact, but if they could just get him to drop that rock... She reached out with a trickle of her power and tried to separate them. It started to slip out of his grasp, but once he realized it the alien turned, curling around it protectively.

"You've never faced anything like what the Curator can do!"

"That's nothing you need to worry about, space-buddy! What you need to worry about..." Mind-Set locked eyes with the treacherous alien, a deep scowl of concentration gouging his chiseled face as he forged a mental channel from his psychic web to that of their once-welcome guest. Even as he tried to force the alien's thoughts to bend his way, Nathan felt a twinge of revulsion in his stomach: Domainting others, forcing them to act how someone else wanted, was the kind of thing he heard on the news all the time. Whether it was fanatics brainwashing impressionable young men, politicians manipulating public opinion or supervillains like Mastermind outright altering peoples' entire personality, it was never to anyone's good.

Thrusting his doubts aside, Mind-Set unleashed a torrent of psionic force into the alien's brain, struggling to take control of the flow of synapses and bend the already beleaguered psychic web to his will "...what you need to worry about is me!"

The struggle was fierce, though the brawny telepath barely moved. Like a wall he stood, gazing into the eyes of the man he sought to defeat...only for the alien's will to force him back!

Nathan blinked and started backwards with an involuntary cry os surprise, his illusion flickering and reforming so quickly even Thoughtspeed might have missed it. That wasn't supposed to happen! Especially not when someone was all dazed and confused. Head pounding from the strain, the towering telepath tensed himself, glaring at the alien and mustering his own will for another assault.

• 2 weeks later...

Mind-Set's power battered at the alien's mind, but he wasn't able to get a hold on it. The alien threw the psychic out, then glared at them from inside his forcefield bubble. "Oh, you're right about one thing. Once I finish this, I'll never have to worry about this planet, or the Curator's bots hunting me down, ever again!" He turned back to the rock and started adjusting his machine; the rock started to glow with a purple light that hurt Maelstrom's head.

"If you had just asked," Maelstrom protested, "you could be off this planet already. You're insane!"

The alien whipped his head back around, his eyes glowing the same color as the rock. "You have no idea what I've been through," he sneered. "If you were in my position... you'd do the same thing."

Energy gathered in the forcefield dome, swirling around the rock, casting light in the dome and making everything purple. Maelstrom watched it, feeling powerless to do anything. It was all she could manage to keep the dome intact, as she felt the strange energies of the field the alien was creating pull at the materials she was using.

Even as she watched, the stone vibrated and a hole opened in the middle of the air, a swirling vortex that slowly grew and grew until it was a good four feet or so across. The alien manipulated something on his machine and the image beyond the vortex moved, landscapes flashing through too fast to follow.

The alien turned to the heroes. “This would be the point where I tell you to have a good life,†he said, “but that would be wastin’ time. So instead, I’ll just be takin’ my leave.†He ducked through the portal, taking his machine with him and leaving the portal behind him. After a moment though, it started to spin, slowly moving faster and faster, a sense of power and danger growing around it.

Maelstrom noticed that the stone was lying on the floor, vibrating slightly, pulsing at the same speed as the spinning portal. That gave her an idea. Still keeping most of her power in the dome that would, hopefully, contain at least part of the blast, she reached out and lifted the rock into the air. She paused, watching carefully as the portal spun faster and faster; she would have to time this just right…

The portal was full-on to them, and Maelstrom threw the rock. It sailed into the opening, and there was a terrible thundercrack and a blast of light. When the noise and light faded, there was no rock, no portal, no alien. Maelstrom let the dome fall, rubble piling around their feet. She looked around the museum; there was no more terrible building of energy, no more keening wind. “Did we… did we just save the world?â€

"That'd seem to be the case, in lieu of any more compelling interpretation." Mind-Set agreed, staring wide-eyed at the smoking, smashed section of tiled floor where the explosion had been contained, his own force-field sputtering and failing into nothingness. Shuddering, the towering telepath turned away, nodding gratefully to Maelstrom and Stronghold. "Good work, and good thinking. I wouldn't have thought to try that. And my TK's not exactly up for the job, either."

Placing his fingertips deliberatelyon either side of his head, Nathan closed his eyes and willed away the roiling mixture of relief, horror and exhiliration. Their erstwhile guest was gone, and the people were safe. With a burst of psychic energy, Mind-Set delivered that message to Thoughtspeed, showing him in a blur of images and sound what had happened.

His eyes still closed, Nathan asked mildly "So...I'm about ready to head back to school, how about you, sis? And Stronghold, could you help sort out a little of the damage before you go?" He smiled apologetically at the ring-bearer "You seem pretty good at this sort of large-scale stuff. My skillset is pretty much just tricking people, and you can't trick things back together." Nathan glanced surreptitiously at Rachel.

~Should we stay?~

Edited by Arichamus
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally, Thoughtspeed returned as more than a blur in the background. The young man was breathing heavily, and immediately leaned forward, hands on his knees, looking for all the world like an athlete who finished a two-mile run at a track meet. A quick shake of his head had the helmet folding back so he could run a hand through his sweat-streaked hair.

"Gonna...whew...gonna need a shower after that one. Um."

He took in the scene. No alien, no rock, but comparatively little damage.

"Let's call this one a narrow win, hey folks? Uh. So, rock's gone. Should have known. Hope he ends up on some armpit of the galaxy or something. I can...um. Tell you what. I'll call some...people I know-"

His parents.

"-and hopefully the whole "losing a major display from the museum" thing can be smoothed over, amiright? Hey, plus side, the evac went smooth! And the cops and stuff are just now getting here. So...go us."

In a slight blur he was sitting on the ground, leaning back and supporting himself on his arms as his legs sprawled out flat on the ground in front of him.

"I'm officially taking my post-day-saving two minute break. FYI."