Cutting off the Supply (IC)

Brown Dynamite

Well, at least the woman seems reasonable enough to hear us out. Net Fly thought. Of course, it could just mean that she's confident enough that they can take us. Oh, well, a positive attitude goes a long way, I guess. Still, Net Fly had to admit, it was a delight, watching Foreshadow work the gang members. Oooohohohoho, he went for the criminal record and the cardiac arrest blows. Nice. The sooner they realise the gravity of the situation, the more cooperative they'll become. He thought, having to stifle a small smirk. "For what it's worth, we're very sorry for what happened to your boys. Especially the concussion guy-that kinda was my fault; I only wanted to remove him from the hostage he had taken, but wouldn't you know it, I underestimated my strenght and knocked him down in less than a second. If it helps you any, that meant that he didn't stay conscious long enough for the drug to take its toll on him, so that's a bullet dodged. So, yeah, sorry about that, and you're welcome." Net Fly interjected, as an aside, giving a knowing wink and accompanying finger-pointing at the finish.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alden hadn't heard a word of what was going on with the Cuckoos. He could tell that things were so far still in the 'tense' rather than 'hostile' stage, and breathed a silent prayer of thanks that his present comrades were keeping things so calm. 'Blokes can get awful jumpy if they think they're in trouble' Osprey thought, scanning the building's windows, noting one where the Cuckoo inside was talking to somebody else 'This lot seems pretty-hold it!' the other figure had caught his superhuman eyes, his profile oddly familiar.

Leaning forward, Osprey concentrated, focusing on the silhouette instead of the stark features outlined in the harsh yellow light. 'Is that...yeah, that's his hair, his smirk, his movements. It's him.'

"Mitchell" his voice a soft, guttural whisper. In a second he had dashed to the end of the building, rappelled noiselessly down the wall, and was running around the back of the flats next to his former lookout. Without hesitation he shot across the street in a white-brown blur, nearly invisible in the night. 'They'll be fine without me' he told himself, glancing fleetingly at the two other heroes before he vanished behind the rough brick building adjacent the Cuckoo turf. As he slipped quietly up to the back door, he wondered anxiously if he oughtn't to have made some kind of sign that the plan had changed...

Dropping down in a crouch next to the entrance, he tested the handle and sighed as it failed to turn. "No. This won't take a minute." He muttered drily, taking out a set of lockpicks, and settling down to a long, painstaking session of breaking and entering...

GM

'Manuel', the aggressive member of the Cuckoo's almost leapt off the couch.  Clearly wanting to show Net Fly how he felt about what the interpreted display of disrespect.  Relenting almost immediately once the Cuckoo member paying more attention to his cell phone cleared his throat.  "Tried to warn you Manuel.  Look chulo, we ain't know nothing about no volt.  People always want to pin all their problems on us.  Cuz they're jealous y'know?  If someone wanted to impress, they might've thought it smart to be stupid and show off on their own initiative.  Found a guy and stuck a needle in their arms to do their business.  Doesn't mean we gave them to him."

Finally interjecting the man staring at his cellphone would speak momentarily.  "Xeds, The Reds, Manta Maulers, and so on.  There are any number of organizations whom could have taken it upon themselves to slander us.  What you two have is accusatory hearsay.  And nothing more."  Soon after his attention returned to the cellular device without giving the heroes a second thought.

Osprey continued working on the door seemingly unseen as he positioned the lockpick into place.  The cover of darkness allowing him to operate slowly, but surely without yet drawing attention to him.  He could see into the house from his location as he worked on sneaking past the barricade.  Which would give him a heads up in case someone soon after decided to travel to the rear entrance.  What he couldn't see was the going ons.

• 3 weeks later...

Foreshadow rolled his eyes.  Listing off a bunch of rival gangs to pass the buck was cute and all.  But they wanted actual answers not to be given the run around.  "Maybe you're telling the truth and you guys did have nothing to do with it.  I can go and find out how many details our captive songbirds have let slip.  I mean it's easy to act tough when you're looking all cool on your fancy couch on your lawn.  But, wonder what it's like inside an interrogation booth with the law breathing down your neck after seeing what they all saw tonight.  Hardened gang members might keep a tight lip.  But fresh meat, can't say they wouldn't end up sniveling and letting a few details slip.  Want to test your luck?  By all means.  I wouldn't want to be the gang that didn't help out with an ongoing investigation come time for your inevitable trial though."

Foreshadow scowled fiercely as he stared the trio on the couch.  Looking them over one by one sneering with an upturned look to signify how unimpressed he was.  "Just know before whatever problems anyone with a badge comes bringing for you.  I'll dedicate every night to being that cold wisp of air breathing down your necks.  You won't even have a bowel movement that I don't know about.  Every illicit deal, every violent confrontation I'll be there and I'll put and end to it.  And then I'll put an end to your little clubhouse.  How's that for hearsay?  Now let me ask again.  Are you going to tell us what we need to know, or are we all about to become best friends?"

• 3 weeks later...

Crouched in front of the door, pressed against it to keep the light off his back with one goggled eye next to the lock, Alden fiddled with great care with the lockpicks. By now his teeth were clenched and a trickle of sweat was running down his chin.

'Gah, yeh bastard thing, unlock will you...there!'

With a soft clicking noise, the last of the tumblers slid into the door, and testing the handle, Osprey grinned as he felt it give at last. 'Can't believe it took me that long to open a door. Need to get myself some more practice before this gets us in trouble on a mission' he thought, rolling his eyes and slipping noiselessly into the building, letting the door shut behind him on its own. 'Eh, can't be too bad. not around here.'

Edited by Arichamus

GM

Osprey had managed to cross into the threshold silently.  At least until the door creaked behind him.  As if the door hinges had never known a day of grease.  The frame's cry carried throughout the entire estate.  Making no secret of the fact that the door had opened.  It wasn't any matter of actual security.  But it did wonders for killing the mood.  It had to be a matter of absolute fortune that there was no sound of nearby furniture shuffling through the hall.  Giving off the potential idea that perhaps no one had yet to be alerted by Alden's presence.  Leaving the opportunity to close in on Mitchell.

• 2 months later...

GM

The loud roar of a muscle car ripped through the air as yellow automobile with fully tinted windows pulled up.  A skull and crossbones with an odd alien shaped skull on the hood laid prominent.  Foreshadow flipped forward tilting the entire couch with him his precognitive instincts alerting him of what was to come.  Soon the street was welcomed to a hail of gunfire.  Some of which even managed to ricochet near Osprey. Mitchel and the gangbanger sprinted out of the room at the sound of gunfire coming face to face with Osprey much to their surprise.

The one called Manuel leapt forward firing off a bolt of electricity towards the rear window.  Only for it to seemingly freeze in place before hitting the car dissipating soon after.  Net Fly took off in hot pursuit of the vehicle.  The airborne hero was being kept back with some well placed gunfire as the chase began.  Foreshadow exhaled after examining the holes in the couch.  It was an act of pure luck that neither he nor the the three on the coach had been hit.  As the commotion began to die down aside from the two remaining on the couch Manuel was only one Cuckoo in the immediate area whom hadn't sprinted away to find cover.

He had, however, managed to clutch his stomach tightly.  The crimson hue on his fingertips after turning telling more than its fair share.  "Manny.  No!"  The female lieutenant of the gang screamed out.

• 2 weeks later...

Stealthily creeping among the shadows, Alden had fallen into the same mindset he had when stalking the rooftops of London: that he would see without being seen, and follow without being followed, that his presence would be unknown to his enemy until the critical moment when at last he struck.

So he was partially hunched-over, crouched against the wall, and totally unprepared for the explosion of bullets, his would-be prey to come barreling out of the door and screech to a halt mere feet from him, staring in understandable shock at the nutter in the cape. For a second, all Osprey could think of was how much better it would look if he had already transformed...but there was work to do.

Recovering quickly from the paralyzing shock, he jumped at Mitchell with all the force his tensed legs could give him, hitting the smuggler head-on, the two rolling head-over-heels as he bound the man's arms and legs with his own, steely muscles soon wrapping the startled arms dealer like sapient chains. At last, breathing heavily from the burst of effort and adrenaline, he said very low and softly "Well now, Mitchie. Been a while. What's a bloke like you doin' in a place like this?" 'Argh, if my ears weren't ringing from those gunshots, I could think of something less bleeding obvious.'

Edited by Arichamus
  • 3 weeks later...

GM

Mitchell was knocked clean off his feet and pinned to the ground.  Struggle as he might Osprey clearly was in full control of the hold.  While Mitchell continued to strain himself squirming under Osprey's weight, the Cuckoo whom he had been conversing with ran past to pair.  With only the words.  "Not my problem" made audible before Osprey heard the sound of the door slamming behind him.

A look of recognition settled on Rupert Mitchell's face as he stared up at his assailant.  A sigh of exasperation exiting his lips before he managed to speak in a relatively calm demeanor.  Clearly attempting to maintain a somewhat respectable image.  "Bloody Yanks.  Soon as you find yourself arse up they show how dodgy they all are.  Can't trust the lot of them. I don't suppose you'd fancy letting me go on this one Osprey?  Give ya a healthy quid to forget all this ugliness for your trouble.  Let's settle this like businessmen."

It was a dance of course. Mitchell didn't expect Osprey to actually take him up on his offer. However, he addressed the avian themed hero without actually answering his question. Not yet at least.

Snorting a little, Osprey eased up just enough to keep from suffocating his enemy. "Think it's the gun business, Mitchie. Grabs the worst sorts of bastards, makes 'em scared to stick around in case they get murdered. Just a theory." Wrestling Rupert around so their faces met, he went on "And a 'quid'? That's just insulting. Tell you what, I give you a free not-beating, you tell me what all this **** is and how you're involved."

The altered vigilante tilted his head to the side, for a second looking more like a monstrous bird observing a field than a man talking to another. "I get the feeling this might be important, so pipe up. Quick as you please."

• 2 weeks later...

GM

Mitchell coughed as he hacked up for air.  A few seconds into his hacking fit the man actually started laughing.  "Oh my this is bloody rich.  You belong with these louts.  Trying to posture are we?  Rest assured I have seen scarier than you."  Mitchell looked positively unimpressed with the avian visage hovering over him.  In fact he even yawned momentarily to drive the point home.

"Now if you would be a good chap and get out of my way.  My business has been concluded and I have other engagements forthright."  Mitchell seemed oddly calm.  Far too calm for a man in his position.  "Be a smart man, take the payday and just go.  You won't live to regret this otherwise.  And I would hate to get blood on my shirt."

His emotionless gaze was directed dead center at the eyes of the monstrous bird like man.  An almost predatory hunger to them.  However, his body language remained loose and relaxed.  As if he had no illusions about trying to free himself.

"No one comes up and disrespects us like that.  Boys get the stuff.  No one comes back without a Harvester skull to mount on the mantle."  As soon as the group started pulling out autoinjectors it became clear they were not playing coy about having access to the drug in question.  

"Calm down.  Harvesters love their MAX.  They want us to come to them so they can be fully juiced when we attack.  They didn't know abou-"  The well dressed phone using member of the Cuckoos spoke up.  Stopping only when noticing Foreshadow was still alive and listening.

Foreshadow rolled his eyes perhaps a bit too noticeably as he now had the full attention of the Cuckoos yet again.  He could be threatening when he needed to be, that was a given.  But he relied on putting his ears to the ground and following whatever leads cropped up.  Which meant giving a little leeway every now and then.  "Tell you what boys.  Before you raise your hands and start a little bit of shock and awe.  Let me point out, I don't have a reason for breaking anyone's bones...yet"

The acrobat raised his hands to signal his nonviolent intent.  "In fact, Net Fly will probably deal with those other guys for you.  Seeing as he took chase.  Which means there should be a little give and take in this cooperative relationship.  About the VOLT?  Where are you getting the stuff."

Edited by HG Morrison

"I'll ask you later, then. Night, Mitch."

Osprey got a talon-fingered arm free, raised it over his head, and drove it down hard enough to crack the floor next to Mitchell's head. The very air seemed to still in quiet awe. He stared into the other man's soulless eyes "Not a word of that to anyone."

Drawing back into his human form, wings receding and beak twisting back into a human face, he hastily took a useful length of binding wire from his belt. Trussing the arms dealer up with any kind of security wasn't much of a challenge, considering the man wasn't even fighting by this point, but it still felt to the avian avenger like it took far too long. Leaving Mitchell behind a convenient sofa, Osprey leaped out the window and rolled onto the lawn below.

"What happened?" he asked Foreshadow bluntly, eying the wounded Cuckoo and wreckage.

GM

Osprey asked his question at the right time.  The female Cuckoo lieutenant who was clammering for a gang war took to answering for Foreshadow.  "Harvesters happened.  Loco gang of wannabe bangers.  They've been eyeing our territory for months.  And now that we comin' to be a real threat they think they can just off us before we come for them."  She then turned to Foreshadow as the explanation considered after the sharp dressed man allowed her too.  "But I don't know who is makin the goods.  Got a brit inside who comes once a week to drop off the VOLT once a week.  He used to come daily.  But he been wheelin round everywhere nowadays.  Makes everyone a little more eager to take out the competition of their favorite fix.  His two bodyguards are on some weird stuff too."

"Your friend has until tonight to take out the Harvesters.  Any longer, and we'll deal with them personally.  And sabes que?  It'll be messy."  She snapped her fingers and two cuckoos went to grab their fallen comrade.  "And if you're still here by the time we get back from getting our boy scrubbed.  You're gonna need a doctor of your own.  Ain't bout to get a reputation for being friendly to the roof jumpers."

"Oye, why are you telling them all this boss won't be happy."  Her glare was all it took to clam the sharply dressed Cuckoo up.

• 3 weeks later...

Alden regarded the ground for a while, mulling that over. It certainly explained how the stuff was getting around, Mitchell wasn't exactly lacking in the contact department, and a new power-drug would mean a real edge for anyone able to control it, which explained the demand. But where was it coming from? And more importantly, did these Harvesters have something to do with that?

"Right." Osprey looked up, eyes gleaming in stale streetlamp light "We'll see to 'em. Foreshadow," he nodded to the other crimefighter "the 'Brit' is inside the building, upstairs, tied up behind a couch. I'm thinking he's better off there than in plain view, or tagging along with us. Our new chums can make sure he doesn't escape. Or they can make a very big mistake, wouldn't dream of imposin'."

Suddenly, Osprey's eyes bulged, his muscles stretched along with suddenly-taut skin, and his bones began to twist even as feathers sprouted, his mouth elongated into a heavy beak and wings burst from his back. The man-eagle shook himself a little, testing his powerful new limbs with an experimental flick that sent a crushing backwash of air. Nodding, he told the prescient prosecutor "Lead. I'll follow from the air" and suiting action to the word he launched himself into the sky, wheeling in a wide circle as he prepared to follow Foreshadow's lead.