Twilight Tag(IC)

Ari

GM

One of the other Agents stepped forward to speak to the Queen, with regards to a recent rise in Otherworlder sightings. It had only been one or two, but that was still a worrying trend.

Medraut nodded shortly at Blodeuwedd's suggestion "That would be best, we cannot risk him endangering himself and the Afanc along with him if he tries anything foolish..." He looked at her with a sudden idea "...and who better to go and keep him cool-headed than someone he already knows and trusts? Agent Blodeuwedd, you will accompany the small team sent to 'check up' on Subito. Nisien, Cigfa" he said louder in the direction of the two agents, who stepped quickly over to him, still watching the lolling Queen. "First though, let us see..." he gestured to Branwen, who passed her hand over her eyes, which caused the Supervisor to blanch. Quickly donning the goggles he glanced around the lake, drawing in a sharp breath at what he beheld, handing them back discreetly to Blodeuwedd as he muttered angrily "We are being set up for a trap here. This is almost the worst thing that could have happened. And the rising ghost..." he shook his head "Nisien, Cigfa, you and Blodeuwedd will go and reconnoiter the Queen's palace. Locate Subito and the Afanc, determine any and all escape routes, and wait for the opportune moment to make a breakout if a deal cannot be struck" the lean woman and stockier man made their own signs of agreement. Approaching the water's edge Medraut called out politely to the Queen "Most majestic sovereign, we wish to make sure for ourselves that our friend is well. To this end, and to negotiate a proper bargain for his life and return, we wish that these three," he waved elegantly to the agents elected "would descend with you to your grand estate. They will do their best to discover a way to end this regrettable misunderstanding in a way that will give everyone something that they desire" he declared with an incline of his head to the inhuman Queen, who after a moment's careful thought grinned openly "We agree, this is most agreeable to us. They may not descend with us" she said with a note of steel "we must make our castle..pleasing to your eyes first. Wait a while, and then throw the ring into the water." She raised her left hand, and the barge shot away from the shore at incredible speed, sliding noiselessly and without a ripple into the lake.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Suppressing a smile, it was a serious situation after all. With only a small flourish, she wasn’t one to show off especial among her betters; Blodeuwedd put Dyrnwyn back into its scabbard and offered it to Medraut

“Probably best not to bring Cold Iron to their home, it might be seen as impolite.†She checked that her other equipment was in working order, luckily her knives were ceramic. “Whilst they might not be the enemy I don’t trust her majesty either.†She looked expectantly at her Supervisor “I assume you have a plan if thing go wrong, and an extraction point hopefully.â€

GM

"Ah! Well thought, you're a credit to your instructors agent." Medraut said approvingly, taking Dyrnwyn by the hilt and looping its belt around his arm, danging it from that limb. "Yes, I do have a back way out for you. Now that we know which Fey Queen this is, we can warp and bend the spells that surround this lake, and get a signal down there. We've managed to fix that teleporter we recovered from those ruins under the White Horse, but I do not want to risk any chance that the signal will be disrupted by magic, so the mages we called here will need time to unravel the enchantments over the lake. You will get a call on this transmitter" he handed her a small plastic device that looked like a jewel on a slender chain "It will pulsate twice when the time is right. Press the button on the underside if you want to get out quickly. Of course, leaving by the front door with the Afanc, your friend and agents Cigfa and Nisien would be the optimal result, but that is hardly likely when dealing with the Otherworlders" he smiled glumly "As for that skeleton above the water...ask about that if you can. This must have something to do with that old giant Bendigeidfran. But what would they want with his bones? That cauldron was broken and melted long ago..." he scowled at the now-invisible apparition that hovered above the water leering dully into the distance.

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst inside Blodeuwedd was chuffed with Medrauts compliments she didn’t show it, it was how she had been trained to deal with the world.

“If anyone can unravel this puzzle then those from the Order can do such a thing, I assume this poses a threat to if not the country then at least Conwy.†She waved her team to her side “If all fails I will attempt to escape to those who are friendlier to the order, though I doubt I’ll be able to free the Afanc in such a case. But I’m thinking of the worst case scenario, let’s hope fate is on our side.â€

GM

Whoever's side Fate was on, it probably wasn't El Heraldo's. He awakened finding himself bereft of his powers, wearing the clothes he had taken with him into the lake before transforming and lying on a cold stone floor, pinned to it by a series of intertwined chains shaped like the heads of fish. Their very presence made the ever-present voice of the Blue Dame distant, and the power he could otherwise sense as being right at hand felt like it was being blocked. The ceiling above held the Afanc, now wiffling miserably in a similar straight as the young paragon. The place was bright, but cheerless, looking like crystal and dead polished coral hewn into a vaguely medieval castle dungeon, the bars shimmering with the coils of snakes that had wound around them. Outside and after a short twenty meter drop the Queen's throne room was a bustle of activity, slender fairies flitting about and forming the multi-hued room into the picture of elegance with the help of draperies and long sheets. The Queen herself stood in the center of the room, quickly murmuring orders to courtiers that strayed close to her, giving her a thousand bows in a second as they hastened to obey. She glanced up at the weird(and now rather pitiable-looking) Afanc, and smiled openly as she surveyed the young human. With a rustle of steel-lined robes she wore, she vanished through one of the hallways, followed by the courtiers like a swarm of brightly-clothed bees.

Heraldo didn't have long to wait, as only a few minutes later several armored Redcaps stepped into the cell, creeping through the bars with distressing ease and holding thin golden and lead restraints that they quickly attached to his hands and feet, a narrow circlet of brass closing around his neck with a soft clink that banished her voice wholly from his mind. At a snap of one of their fingers', the chains rattled away into the floor, and the Redcap grinned down at the boy "Rise, human! The Queen needs a good companion for her meeting with those above. Follow! We will get you the clothes of state. The lake beast will serve as the appetizer for tonight's banquet" so saying they walked out of the cell, the chains moving of their accord to drag Subito after them...

The ring was tossed, summoning a small boat that when entered swept the trio under the water of the lake, which in the Otherworld could be breathed by all within it, bringing them into view of a beautiful castle beneath the reservoir that glittered with enchanted lights as they approached, sliding gracefully into harbor before the front gates, where they were welcomed and guided to the throne room, where the Queen greeted them warmly "Hail, well met! Please come forward, and speak freely! We shall do our best to bring this to an amicable conclusion" she said, smiling and rising from the throne, chained to which by his ankles was El Heraldo, who thankfully at least had half his clothes still on him, although these ones didn't look like they'd last a day in the woods, being made of worryingly thin fabric.

The redressing hadn't been exactly to Subito's favor, and he had only suffered through it because of the manacles that prevented him from beating the inclination to take his clothes out of the Fey, grumbling and glaring at them sullenly.

Reclining beside the throne at least put him in the eyes of the impassive Fey and their courtly sneers at his predicament. Blushing angrily at the attention he rested against the smooth and oddly soft marble of the Queen's seat, ignoring its occupant as best as he could, hunching his powerful shoulders and leaning his head forward defiantly.

'This wouldn't be so bad if I could just talk with the Dama Azul. But I can't hear her at all! Hopefully Blodeu gets he-oh damn, then she'll see my like this. GREAT.' his ears perked up as he heard the approaching Order agents, waving at Blodeuwedd with a weak smile, calling out "Sorry I didn't get you that Afanc, Blodeu! These guys got me, I'm pretty sure they're magic. And they hate my pants." he added with a dour look at his captors. Starting at the sight of the two more senior agents he added "Hey guys. How's it going?"

It was easy to forget that Blodeuwedd had never been trained primarily to be a fighter. Her main training was for infiltration either by stealth or through social interaction. As she walked she changed her entire stance, adopting that of someone with noble bearings.

At Claremonts she often surprised the fashionista with her knowledge of fashion trends. Especially as she rarely bothered to dress fashionably at school. This discerning eye for fashion trends, also part of her training, allowed her to pick out fine details of the courts clothing. Starting with a simple generic Medieval style dress with cloak as she approached the queen she subtly altered her clothes until they told of noble elegance. But of cause not finer than of the queen.

She gave a deep elegant curtsy “You honour us by allowing us to visit you court. I am Blodeuwedd of Caer Dathyl.â€

GM

With a slight inclination of her head the Queen acknowledged the gesture "Welcome, Caer Dathyl" Nisien and Cigfa made their own introductions, and the party was soon seated upon spindly chairs that were much hardier than they had appeared. Having returned to her throne, the Queen asked brightly "So, what have your willfully ways led you to bring in exchange for this spinely beast?" she almost smiled outright "I trust it is something that does not hurt you to lose."

Cigfa carefully adjusted herself in her seat before answering <"We bring to you the gift of an agreement. We do not have anything as a proper gift to counterbalance the Afanc, but we can bring you some thing of great worth, if you will grant us the favor of allowing us more time and to leave with the boy and the lake creature."> the Queen frowned "That is hardly possible.I have something and must have something in return for giving it up. I will grant you more time to decide what you three will give in trade for them, however." she said, gesturing to an attendant who stepped forward from behind one of the hanging drapes that hid the walls, holding a sprig of parsley. "Parsley will guide you once our audience is done." she settled further back in her throne, tapping the arm rest slowly as she partially closed her eyes, which suddenly flicked over to Blodeuwedd "Tell me, Caer Dathyl, what could you give in exchange for them?"

Blodeuwedd gave a few moments thought about what to offer the Tylwyth Teg, too many magical creatures symbolic items were worth as much sometime more than a physical item. Then she remembered something she’d learn at Claremonts, the only school that relayed important information for time travellers.

<â€I can offer you two days. When the United Kingdom went from the Julian to Gregorian some days were lost. Those from the UK are already taken, but Caer Dathyl never officially joined the UK, so can offer you these day’s for the return for the two of them.â€>

It was a risk, she couldn’t guarantee that the Order would or could agree to this, it it would however buy them time and hopefully release Suito and the Afanc.

Subito stared very hard at Cerys when she made her bizarre offer. He had total faith that she knew exactly what she was doing, but suggesting that he and the lake monster get released in return for..two days? 'How does she plan on giving any proof that she can do that? How..how can anyone do that? Dama Azul, do you-? Oh right! Blocked off by these stupid chains' he thought irritably, rattling one of them experimentally and giving it a dirty look as it rang more like a clear bell than shackles, before returning his attention to the proceedings. He wouldn't have bothered to hide his bafflement if he had known how, or that it was unwise to show his emotions in such places. He edged away from the gowned Queen nearby, not trusting her for an instant, and not just because she'd captured him for no reason. He tested his bonds surreptitiously, searching for a weak spot so he could bust out and clobber one of the big ones over the head before they stabbed someone.

He was certain that fighting was inevitable, and if not that he was going to make sure it was.

GM

The Queen looked first surprised, then delighted at the offer of exchange, bursting out into laughter with a silvery sound that echoed throughout the throne room, lolling back onto the throne and tugging Subito closer to her as she answered between her peals "It is countless eons since We have had such a generous offer, and still more since such a charmingly ingenious one! You give us two extra days, days our enemies do not have, and in return you get this darling little boy that we so look forward to learning about" she plucked him into her strong arms to squeeze him briefly(though to the stocky teen it was far longer than he would have wanted) to herself in a show of affection before dropping him back on the floor with abandon, waving a hand at one of the mirror-like windows lining the pristine hall that shimmered and suddenly looked out into the vast kitchens of her palace, where the Afanc hung above a boiling pot made of some strange silvery metal, which was being stirred by several Fey wearing neat white smocks "and, along with him, the chief delicacy of our first hunt on this water, and a vanishing rare beast at that? This is better than we could have imagined!" she jumped lightly off her throne, the winding silver and gold chains making sure the Puerto Rican boy kept just behind her as she all but skipped up to the envoys of the Order, looking them over with much greater interest. She spoke again

"Such a spectacular trade, and We have not even moved all our treasures here yet! We will tell you what, Blodeuwedd of Caer Dathyl: We shall consider your offer, and make our decision before the sun has set on the next day in this, the Otherworld. We are favorable to this, but certain...precautions must be kept, of course." she smiled fondly down from her superior height at the three agents, at which Cigfa carefully looked at her forehead, and Nisien smiled as best as he could(which for the dour wizard was extraordinarily well). Cigfa answered quietly and serenely "Thank you, your most majestic presence, for this kindness. The Order is not wealthy, but there is much we can offer that no one else can. We shall prove it..over a feast?" the Queen's teeth flashed eerily in answer "We look forward to it. Do you have anything else that you wish, before we retire?"

She’d hoped she hadn’t over stepped her authority, but it did seemed to have a positive effect. It might e pushing her luck but she wanted to make sure Subito was all right and understood exactly what was going on.

“If I may ask of you a small favour? I would not think to tell such a wise and noble Queen how to conduct her affairs, but may I ask that you release your human prisoner from his bounds and allow him some freedoms? I will take care to explain to him the proper forms of behaviour and ensure that he causes no harm. If necessary I shall act as his ward.â€

GM

The Queen smiled "Of course!" came the instant reply, and turning to her left she said crisply "Chains, sleep." at which the links slid out of the narrow collars, falling to the ground with soft clinks. "He may be free for half of an hour, then the chains will awaken and seek him out, wherever he is, and bring him back. Do not take too far" the Queen added brightly, nodding graciously at the other two humans before turning on her well-shod heel and exiting the room through a small portal made from amber, a silent train of attendants following her as they left their hiding places, one stepping out with a laugh from behind Cigfa, apparently having been hidden by nothing but thin air.

Nisien glanced around the now nearly vacant throne room, obviously itching to use magic and try to figure out if any had stayed behind to watch them. Parsley tapped him on the shoulder, smiled at the trio and quietly beckoned them to follow as he ran on tip-toe out the main brass door.

As the fairy royal strode off Subito glared after her until she was out of sight, tugging irritably at the bracelets still clinging to his limbs and neck. Turning to Blodeuwedd he muttered gratefully "Thanks a lot for that. I don't think I could've stood bein' around her for a minute longer before clobbering her." he scowled at the entrancingly beautiful floor for a second, getting to his feet and folding his arms over his chest, asking quietly "So, what's the plan? If y'need somebody to punch out walls I can't help there, these things" he gestured to the bracelets "they break my connection to the Dama Azul somehow, I can't transform." he looked at her hopefully "Please tell me we're getting out of here soon, I can't stand listening to these guys talk." he added, pulling a wry face.

Blodeuwedd offered Subito a hand to bring him to his feet, offering up a weak smile.

“At least no one is trying to blow us up this time. Next time you get to choose.†She let her smile fade as she went on to more serious concerns “In case you didn’t know you’re in the lands of the Tylwyth Teg, a clan that claims this area. There are four important rules to remember about them, Don’t accept any gifts, Don’t touch any food or drink, Don’t dance with them and Never sleep.

"

With that she gave her best explanation of exactly what had happened after he had captured the Afanc.

“I’m afraid we stuck here until the Queen sees fit to let us leave.†Her face suggested that the truth was quite the opposite “We’ll have to show a little patience.â€

The stocky manacled teen blinked at the litany of forbidden actions. "W-wait, don't eat or drink? But, what about that feast? Are we just supposed to sit there and be all "No thanks, none for me"?" he asked in bafflement, scowling at the room around them, hating the place all the more. The lake shimmered outside the windows, and he suddenly realized that they were at the bottom of a lake "...Well, alright then, you know what you're doing in stuff like this. Ugh, hopefully there won't be after-dinner dancin' or gift-giving. These Twylyth guys sound like real killjoys, if that stuff kills you or whatever." he frowned at her again, blowing hair out of his face "I'll try to be patient, but I dunno if I can stick out for as long as we need to. I hate that Queen" he said with feeling, clenching his fists and dropping his voice to a savage mutter.

Taking a second to regain his much reduced composure, he added quietly "Anything you want me to do where I am? Or do you guys already have a plan and I should just stick with not eating, dancing with or accepting gifts from people here, and not sleeping? Also hi guys." he added with a tense smile to Cigfa and Nisien.

“We made the offer so we get to choose the location, either back home or that of our allies. So you can eat all you want.†She gave a guilty little smile

“The Fae may have all there rules, and with it are a little fickle, but they won’t hurt you in any way. Unlike other Fae the Tylwyth Teg have no Unseelie, that all thanks to all our hard work.†There was a note of pride in her voice.

“Normally they’d try to trick humans to stick around for a while, but I suspect the Queen’s enjoying playing with us to much to try that, but keep your wits about you.â€

The stockier boy shrugged his broad shoulders, pulling a wry face "Pretty sure my wits won't do us any good here. I'll do my best though, keep my eyes open and stuff. I bet I won't have to worry about overeatin', if her majesty has anythin' to say about it." he added with a dark look at the door the Queen had vanished through. Subito looked slightly mystified at the mention of the Unseelie, venturing "Wait, they don't really have a..I dunno, a more evil faction? That is..." he shrugged and added in bland udnerstatement "...I have no idea just how big a deal that is. But if your family managed to do that, I've got a heck of a lot of respect for you guys. I'm sure I'd never be able t' do that." he said with a cheerful smile.

He glanced around at the glittering palace wavering in the watery light "So...anything you want me to do specifically, or just leave to you guys?" he asked, nodding to the other two agents of the Order.

“Well Wales is small country…†she waved her finger around in a little circle “…and to be honest most of the wise one were able to listen to reason…†she pointed to her ear “…Most of the clan were quite willing to speak to us about potential trouble makers.†Finally she pointed to her mouth.

She hoped he was cleaver enough to figure out she couldn’t say exactly what was going on, as the Queen was most likely spying on them as they spoke.

“You remember the trouble with had with Madame Vapeur? How she managed to escape us the first time? Well the situation is just like that for us.†She gave one of her rare smiles “I’m afraid you’re just going to have to show some patience.â€

Subito had already had a suspicion they might be watched. He had heard a lot about the deceptive and secretive Fey, and doubted that they would treat them any different. He fiddled with the bracelet around his neck for a while, thinking over what Cerys had said before suddenly nodding vigorously, returning her smile with a warm grin of his own as he replied "You bet I remember that!" he adopted a parody of his heroic stance, looking into the distance somewhere over Blodeuwedd's left shoulder with his chest thrust out, hands on his hips as he proclaimed ""You guys go on ahead! I'll hold off the exploding zeppelin we're in!"" he dropped the act and doubled over as burst out laughing, nearly falling into the throne behind him, but managing to catch himself on one of the arm rests at the last moment, wiping a few tears from his eyes.

"Okay, okay, sorry, now's really not the time" he said looking sheepishly up at Cerys "I'll keep cool. Good luck Blodeu!" he said with another smile. He blushed and added quickly to the two agents "To you as well. Thank you so much for coming to help. See you guys later!" He watched them until they were out of sight, muttering as he sat down with a dour look at the chains nearby "I just gotta be patient..."

GM

Nisien raised an eyebrow at the word 'Blodeu', but besides a faint and slightly pitying smile he made no answer besides a grave "Good luck to you as well" and a nod before following Parsley. Cigfa gave him a slightly cold hug, awkward and a little perfunctory.

The rooms given to the agents were at least nearby to each other. They were 50 meters from floor to ceiling, roughly circular and of a gray-green stone in construction, and possessed of unreasonably massive windows looking out upon the dull grey lake. A small room with a table and chairs, lit with ensconced smokeless torches on the walls, was connected to each of them by a small passage. A meal of beautifully-cooked fish was set for them, its savor and the smell of the sweet wine drifting through the air of the apartments.

Nisien wandered around the rooms, growing visibly more unsettled as he found no signs of any spells placed to catch their words, or which could let someone spy upon them, mainly because that meant they were too well hidden for him to ever find. He glanced over at the junior agent, remarking casually "So, our host is clearly concerned for our comforts. Blodeuwedd, what do you think we should wear for the meal? We don't want to look scruffy, after all." he added, making the hand signs for "We must make our plans now, before it is too late..."

The feast was sumptuous. It was held in a vast hall with a myriad of colorful sheets and tapestries hanging from the ceiling over the excessively ornamented tables piled with delicacies unheard of on Earth, walking armor serving the discretely-chatting Fey lords and ladies in attendance. The Queen sat on a raised dais with the agents and her closest advisers, a thin curtain presenting a veneer or privacy between them and the rest of the party. Subito had been placed next to her throne, still chained, though changed into clothes a lot like his El Heraldo costume, though bearing the Queen's livery of purple and green, with a much narrower cap.

"What do you think of our hospitality?" she asked with a kindly smile "The Afanc will arrive shortly, it wishes to thank the court for its kind treatment."

Before the feast Blodeuwedd had pointed out that she should show a little patience, and pointed out that her time would flow differently and the other should show a little patience. She may have also made a comment about Agents today having no patience, even though she was youngest of them by about 5 years.

At the feast she sat they politely made light conversation, but of cause touched none of the food.

“You are a generous and gracious host, you’ve put one quiet a banquet for such humble guests. It is such a shame that we are required to fast on this day.â€

Both of them knew it was a lie, but by being polite and honest it hopefully softened the possible faux pas. If the Queen did find it in herself to be insulted they could be in serious trouble indeed.

The time between his second good-bye to Cerys and his being brought by the Queen into the dining hall had been infuriating for Subito, who stood stiffly and staring into the middle distance. The undressing and redressing hadn't been so bad, and would have been bearable if the Queen had decided not to linger in the same room talking to the courtiers while it was being done, observing the stocky teen with her usual unreadable cheer as he was measured and fitted.

So he plucked irritably at the elegant and body-hugging clothes, and struggled not to glare at her Majesty when he spoke politely "Your kindness is praiseworthy, your Highness. I look forward to the Afanc's words on this." 'Wait, are these pants that tight around...they are. Great.' he looked over everyone's head, looking deeply uncomfortable as he waited for this madness to start getting over with.

GM

The Queen gave a silvery laugh, raising a finger and crooking it gently as she took a large bite of the aromatic fish on her plate. The chains smoothly tugged Subito next to her chair, and with a sigh she slid an arm around his waist, resting her head against him while smiling sunnily at the three agents. "I am generous, with the rooms of my palace, and the bounty of my fields and flocks..." she gently pulled Subito down next to her, murmuring as she began carefully arranging the curls that stuck out of the feathered cap "..and with myself. Tell me, O emissaries of the Order, how would you like to play a little game while we discuss our bargain?" she asked with a sudden whirl and turning to the other guests a brilliant grin that reflected her odd eyes, pulling the Claremonter onto her lap with a giggle.

Nisien looked away with a vague look of politeness, examining the nearby curtain with fascination. Cigfa spoke up with a subtle roll of her eyes to Blodeuwedd "A game would do well to pass the time, but only so long as there are no stakes. We cannot make any further promises as of yet. As we are your guests, might we suggest where the game takes place?" she asked casually, which got a truly disconcerting smile from the Fey royal, who flashed her teeth as she answered "Of course!" With great care the agent gave every appearance of thought "What say you to...the surface of the lake?" The dining hall was suddenly very quiet as the last syllable echoed softly through it.

Tossing Subito off her without noticing it, the Queen rose to her feet, observing the agent with a terrible scrutiny behind the smiling eyes. With a flare of her magnificent aquamarine and silver gown lined with diamonds, she sat back down with a bright "But of course!" she clapped her hands and called out after chewing a hearty bite of the fruit that lay on her plate "Bring forth the Afanc!"

The doors to the hall opened, and six strapping young fairies entered, bearing on their shoulders a large silver board on which, bound in chains, the lake monster lay looking fairly miserable. Placed on a small dais in the center of the hall, the Queen's voice rang out once more "Give praise to the kindness of your hosts!" she said with a merry laugh, at which the Afanc twitched and shrank down, calling out in a deep voice "I thank you, O majesty, for the food you have given me, for the bed you have allowed me, and the life you have permitted me to keep." it burrowed its monstrous head in the board. None of the Fey that crowded the beautiful hall made any sign that they had even noticed it besides a look of cool triumph. "Tell me, agent" the Queen asked Blodeuwedd warmly "What game would you like to play?"

She’d thought she’d covered all the bases, all the trap falls of dealing with the Tylwyth Teg. But she forgot about their test of skills. She knew that in almost all ways the Queen would be physically and mentally superior to all of them. She needed some kind of win, but not something that would harm or embarrassed either of them. A wounded Queen couldn’t rule and her revenge would be terrible indeed.

Running through her options all she had was her knowledge of the 21st century, it would have to be something not to serious that victory or defeat would have no consequences, was it that easy?

<“If it pleases you my Majesty I have a game of skill and ability on a wondrous device the game is called Angry Birds. We’ll not compete directly, but decided who can score the best over several levels.â€> She’d never really developed the taste for such games so this part was a shot in the dark <“If it pleases you may I humbly request that we choose a champion for this test of skill, I beseech you to allow Subito to be our champion…â€>