First Day Jitters

"I uh...don't have any powers." She said a bit nervously. She wasn't sure what all powers these guys hand, but it was becoming increasingly clear that people like her were rare. She wondered if there were any other students that didn't have powers.

She looked at the other two with a bit of apprehension and nervousness. She hoped they wouldn't judge her for it.

• 2 weeks later...

Morgan's head spun so fast towards Mali that it looked like he had whiplash. The teen stared with wide eyes at the girl, then a very, very warm smile creased his face, and he looked about ready to hug the girl. Keeping that expression, he quite carefully shrugged out of his runic coat, folded it over, and slung it over his shoulder. And put a comradely hand on the newcomer's shoulder.

"Same here, Mal. Only diff is that I cheat; can't even sling a basic spell myself, it's all in the mojo-powered gizmos. Take that away, and I'm just a tough hombre with a helluva right hook. But hey, a hero's a hero, right?"

The warm smile turned to a warm grin.

"Doesn't mean we can't kick any superpowered bad guys's collective butts up between their ears, tho'. And makes it soooo much more satisfying, amirite?" Wink.

She chuckled, feeling a bit relieved. Apparently, my great grandfather was a superhero, and that's how I got here. It's kind of interesting. Does pretty much everyone else in the school have powers?"

She was glad that he didn't seem upset or judgmental. Though, he could perform magic? That was odd. She'd never seen someone who could use actual magic. Then again, she'd only ever seen people with powers on the news. This was going to get interesting.

John had noted Malis' nervousness when she had answered and was confused as to its source until Morgan had stepped in. Ah. Fear of being judged an outlier.

"While it is true that there are exceedingly few students without powers present at Claremont, it does not mean at all that your presence here is unwanted or unintended. Bearing the weight and responsibility of a legacy is a great honor irregardless of all other factors. They chose you to continue their work, and that carries a weight all of its own."

John glanced at Morgans' coat before coming to some sort of decision. "I am unlike Morgan and you, Miss Mali, in that I do possess powers. However, they would be rendered nigh useless without the proper training and technique required to maximize their potential." He held his hands palms open to the sky, and he rotated through a veritable cavalcade of weapons until stopping on a shock-staff. He gestured for Mali to take the weapon. "They merely provide me with the capability to maximize my natural abilities, like any tool." The weapon itself was perfectly balanced and after she had looked at it he dismissed it, causing it to fade into a mass of voxels before disappearing.

"I however am in the minority in that my powers require training to use properly. Without them I am merely just a man, albeit one who specializes in a narrow field of expertise."

Mali nodded.

"I've been training in martial arts since I was a little girl. At first, it was for fun. Then it was for fitness, after that? I started training on my own to become a superhero. I've been training on my own for...four years now? Five? I can't remember. Either way, it's been intense, but, I like it that way."

She shrugged. She was sure these guys had done some intense training before. She was also relieved to hear that nobody would judge her based on her lack of powers. It would still be a strange and interesting experience.