To launch a thousand faces! (IC)

Supercape

Observation: Providing medical assistance has earned me status in group 'Flag Street Gang.'

Query: What is 'Flag Street Gang'? Maps of area do not indicate any Flag Street in immediate area. Earlier name of an existing street? Or is it reference to something else?

Draping of flags over street signs as territorial boundary marker?
    Could Flag be an acronym? Freedom League Appreciation Group?

Can examine dynamics later. Other matters require immediate attention. I have information from Kelly Print on other 'safehouses,' but these youths may know more.

"This should hold until you can get professional medical treatment," the floating head said as it flew back to rejoin its body. "I must pursue 'Handsome' Harry Print, and determine how he is duplicating himself, and stop him. What do you know of him? Do you know where he may be running to?"

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GM

"I must pursue 'Handsome' Harry Print, and determine how he is duplicating himself, and stop him. What do you know of him? Do you know where he may be running to?"

The Youth, who already looked somewhat better (whilst still having a thin film of cold sweat over his paled body) gave Protectron the thumbs up.

"Yo, dude!" he said, slightly delerious from the pain and blood loss.

"Print, man, he is a hard nut! handy with his hands, if ya know what I mean...he got a top reputation in that department. Face like a motorway pile up, but hey I guess you seen his ugly mug already..." he said, waving weakly at the two copies on the floor.

"He hangs out at the gym sometimes, ya know? pumping, pumping, thats his full time occupation, always pumping! None to popular down there - hell none to popular everywhere, but Harry, he got a way of looking at you that freezes ya blood, I don't mind telling you, no sir!"

Searching local maps for nearby gyms...

Several located. Mapping out most efficient search pattern...

"Thank you for your assistance, organic citizens," the now re-capitated robot said. "Please continue your cooperative nature with the medical and law enforcement personnel who are en route."

Once the officials arrived, Protectron gave its report of the recent events, making sure to keep the two "Harry Prints" from contacting anyone else. It asked for some zip-ties from the police officers to bind the two, then radioed ASTRO Labs.

Lab-Friend Gossamer is the most knowledgeable of the Lab founders in regards to biological phenomenon, particularly where shapeshifting is concerned, due to her familiarity with Grue biomaterials. She should be able to assist in finding out what has happened with these two while I pursue Prime!Harry Print.

Once it was satisfied ASTRO would take care of the two, Protectron waved goodbye to the Flag Street Gang members as it flew off to begin searching for the real Harry Print.

GM

The back window of Harry Print's abode was smashed, clearly indicating the villain had made a getaway. From his Arial position, Protectron could easily follow the short distance to the local Gym, only one block away. It was a shabby, run down and seedy place. The kind of place where steroid abusing youths went to sweat and pour testorone.

Outside, two cars had collided, steam rising from both bonnets. A number of onlookers - six in all, were watching the scene, with one man crawling out of a car.

As Protectron approached, all the onlookers looked up.

All with the face of Harry Print!

"Harry Print's the greatest!"

"We love Harry Print!"

"Harry Print for president!"

Observation: There are multiple Harry Prints.

Pro: Trail of Harry Print Doppelgangers makes tracking Prime!Print easier.

Con: If let unchecked, all humans may become Harry Prints.

Hypothesis/Query: Print-Doppelganer emerging from car unlikely to have made direct physical contact with Print-Prime. Has phenomenon become an airborne mutagen?

Protectron radioed the police dispatcher again, Be advised, multiple Harry Prints located on street in front of Don's Gym, at site of vehicular collision. Seven Prints spotted, six onlookers and one emerging from one vehicles; other vehicle's occupants unseen. Will investigate.

"Please remain calm, citizens," the golden robot announced as it hovered near the scene. "Assistance is on the way to tend to any injuries and assist in filing insurance claims." It hovered down to the other car, the one that did not have a Harry Print crawling out of it, to get a better look inside.

GM

As Protectron landed, the robot could see the damaged car was unoccupied. The man crawling on the pavement looked injured, but not critical. Fortunately, he also wore a face that was distinctly not like Harry Print.

That face was at least rather distinctive.

The six onlookers scowled at Protectron as he landed, grabbing makeshift weapons - clubs, stones, and a fire hydrant, and descended on the golden hero. The rocks bounced of his impenetrable hide, and the blows left not a scratch on him.

"Get lost, Robo-freak!" screamed one print, in a woman's dress and hat. "You ain't stopping Print! And you ain't going to change into him either! Get lost!"

• 2 weeks later...

Revision: There are six Harry Prints, not seven. Injured organic unaffected by Print-o-morphosis.

Correction, Protectron radioed back as rocks pinged harmlessly off its futuristic metal shell, there are six Harry Print doppelgangers at the scene. Seventh individual is not a Print, but appears to have been injured in the crash. I am evacuating him to safety for treatment and study.

The mighty mechanical 'man' landed next to the injured man, largely ignoring the projectiles being hurled at it. "I am here to help, citizen," it announced as it bent down to carefully scoop up the injured form. Some of the Prints tried to grab for it and drag it down, but Protectron easily shrugged off their grips.

Once it had the patient in hand, it flew up and over to the nearest rooftop, so it could get a better look at him. "How do you feel, citizen? On a scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate your pain?"

GM

The citzen, so far unaffected by Print-o-morphasis, groaned as Protectron lifted him up.

"10!" he winced in answer to the Robot's question.

"Ah'm busted up bad man...everything hurts!"

The man was probably exaggerating, but he was injured. Bruised and battered by a car sliding badly out of control. His left hand really shouldn't have been that swollen. But, whilst there were some scrapes and cuts, and he was spitting a little blood, it didn't look like he would bleed out. Of course, internal bleeding was another matter.

Meanwhile, the roof of the Gym building, upon which the Golden hero had alighted, flew open. Three Print's burst out. These guys were dressed in boxing shorts and boots, moving with the strength and speed of fighters, even if not world class. And they were carrying weapons: a sledgehammer, baseball bat, and crowbar. Whilst the citizens on the ground had been ineffective, these Print's looked like the knew how to put a dent in the robot.

"There he is! get 'im!" roared the first as they ran to the robot.

Warning: Incoming threats detected. Taking evasive maneuvers.

The mighty golden robot easily dodged one of the two Prints, but in so doing left itself wide open to the other two!

Hypothesis: Development of hive mind among victims, leading to better coordination in combat.

Hypothesis: Print-amorphosis may be more than physical, there may be a psionic component.

Hypothesis: Use of countermeasures employed on Conquering Mind to sever psychic links may be required to restore altered organics.

The baseball bat and crowbar both landed on Protectron's head, but while the crowbar dinged against the thick plating on the front of the robot's skull, the bat hit the robot where its cheekbones would be, and left a noticeable dent.

Damage Assessment: Negligible.

Tactical Assessment: Aikido throw to redirect Prints into one another.

Protectron's hand darted up and grabbed the baseball bat, redirecting it slightly downward so that its other hand struck the Print's jaw as it shot up. As the man crumpled it released the bat and brought that hand up to the man's torso, lifting him off the ground enough to toss him at the sledgehammer-wielding Print. The force knocked the second Print out, and the robot's immense strength sent both sliding back to the door from which they'd come!

Tactical Assessment: Must end confrontation quickly to get injured organic to medical attention.

Attention, it radioed back to the dispatcher, gym has been compromised, multiple Prints within. Injured but un-Print-ed citizen is with me, I shall attempt to locate a safer spot for him.

GM

The last Print swung wide with his crowbar, his face contorted with fury.

"You...ain't...ever...gonna...get...Harry!" he grunted, between wild and ineffective swings.

Over the radio, the Police Co-ordinator answered Protectron...

Roger Roger Protectron...Emergency Services already en route...Police have established a perimeter...we are awaiting...

Hold on!...

Reports of Police car being subdued just north of gym...wait...

Its Harry Print!...It's lots of Harry Print! Please Advise! Print seems to be wearing Police Outfits...Firing heard...

• 2 weeks later...

The gleaming golden figure continued to dodge and weave for a few moments, then suddenly crouched and swept the third Print's legs out from under him, timing it so when he fell he landed head-first on a ventilation exhaust shaft, knocking himself out.

Tactical Assessment: Three Prints neutralized, no lasting damage from assaults.
    Lasting damage from Print-omorphosis still unknown.

Protectron knelt down by the injured non-Print from the car crash, preparing to gently lift him up with both its mighty arms. The incoming dispatcher's words sent a small shiver through its circuits, advise containment: subjects may be highly contagious. Can the officers present tighten the perimeter around the area to keep Prints from escaping into the city?

Tactical Assessment: Injured organic requires medical attention. Infected organics require containment and medical attention.

Attempting to reconfigure internal components....

The gleaming golden robot raised both its hands over the injured man, and tiny blast ports irised open in its palms. Whirs and clicks could be heard in its chest and along its arms,

"I must remove the burden of carrying this injured organic."

followed by soft beams of energy coming off its hands and washing the man in their multicolored hues. His wounds began to close up, bones reknitting and flesh healing over as the strange beams boosted his body's natural healing abilities to their utmost capacity!

"Sir? Sir, are you feeling better?," it asked in it flat electronic tone.

GM

"Sir? Sir, are you feeling better?," it asked in it flat electronic tone.

"Nooo...the pain...my legs busted up...the pain..." he winced, his eyes clammed shut.

He opened one eye and looked around.

"Wait...I'm better! how the hell did that happen!" he exclaimed, full of surprise as he wiggled his feet without discomfort.

Over the Radio, Protectron picked up the Police Bands...

We got that, Protectron...but I'm not sure how we can contain this...every Print we subdue, we get two more springing out from nowhere...it's an epidemic...we are going to have to call in everything on this...but...

The voice paused briefly.

Its looking bad...I don't know if anybody can contain this unless we stop this right now...and any person can turn into another Print! Nobody is safe!

Acknowledged, Protectron replied over its comm, I am en route to the area.

"Sir," it said to the newly-healed man, "I must go and attempt to aid the police in controlling this new threat to organic life." It walked over to the three Prints it had just knocked out, and knelt beside each. One of its hands had been shifting again, and now had hypodermic needles coming out from each finger; it carefully drew blood from each of the three, storing the samples in vials within itself. It turned back to the man, "I am going to carry you, and these blood samples, to the nearest medical facility." Before the man could give any protest, the needles retracted and it scooped him up, and the two flew off to the nearest doctor. The golden robot quickly explained the situation, handed off the three samples, and was off again before any thanks could be given, to the area the police were desperately trying to contain.

Tactical Assessment: Containment and immobilization required.

Assessing... plotting trajectories...

Flying over the scene, it raised its hands out to the mob of Prints, hands which had reconfigured themselves once more into large-barreled cannons. It shot out scores of thin but strong cable bolos, snaring many of the Prints. But where was Print-Prime?

GM

The Print's were almost a swarm now, pouring out of cafes, shops, and homes, shouting their undying love for Harry Print.

Whilst many yelled threats and abuse at the Golden Robot, and a few took pot shots with thrown objects (including, on one occassion, a bucket of bright pink paint thrown from a rooftop - that did no damage but gave Protectron a bold new look), they could not harm the hero, and within a short time the steel cables had trussed up a goodly proportion of the Prints.

"You will never find him! hahaha" laughed one tied up Print, dressed in a fetching red dress. 'His' sentiments were echoes by the laughter of Print's all around him, mocking Protectron.

As they laughed, Protectron picked up another radio communication.

Calling Protectron...Calling Protectron...

Police Station has been overtaken! Its full of Print's! Our command has been overtaken! What do we do?

Fall back, secure selves in armors or cells, Protectron told the dispatcher as it jetted over to the station. Prints appear mainly interested in conversion and general mayhem; keeps selves separate from Prints, I shall do what I can to subdue them.

Tactical Assessment: Containment and immobilization becoming more unwieldy. Must find some way to stop generation of new Prints.

Query: How to locate Print-Prime? Where would he go?

Hypothesis: If appearance of clusters of Prints coincides with where Print-Prime is, then following clusters should indicate path of Print-Prime's travel; should be able to extrapolate future heading based on past appearances and information from Kelly Print.

Hypothesis: Print-Prime homing in on Kelly and Junior?

The robot shuddered a fraction, though whether this was due to the thought of the Lab staff which it considered its friends being turned into Prints disturbing it, or damage to its stabilizers caused by his earlier fight affecting its ability to fly true, none could say. Soon it was at the station, firing off more volleys of steel wire bolos at the mass of Prints.

Dispatch, I am here. What is your status? Has there been word from the doctors, have they found anything useful in the blood samples?

GM

Dispatch, I am here. What is your status? Has there been word from the doctors, have they found anything useful in the blood samples?

"We got some blood samples...damn difficult. One of the Doc's got infected too, had to be sedated. Seems like at least the infected aren't infected. Its only one guy doing this...but its mayhem..."

"Blood samples indicate that nothing changes there, only provisional analysis so far though. Blood groups all remain the same. Seems only like the mind and the face change..."

"Here, giving you our data for 'incidents'..." he added, as a stream of encrypted files flew across the airwaves to Protectron.

The Golden Robot had been half-right. There was a 'flow' of incidents, all heading one direction. With a bit of cross reference, one possibility shone above all others. The registered home of Kelly Print's parents...

Many thoughts raced through the golden robot's mind as it flew towards the home of Kelly Print's parents.

Assessment: Mental state and external appearance only change; change is not on genetic level, at least not yet. Prolonged 'infection' by Print may result in genetic damage, lingering mental trauma even if change is reversed.

Hypothesis: Change is initially/primarily mental, causing infected to believe they are Print, or are some aspect of Print. Secondary effect of infection makes physical form malleable, responsive to infected's altered self-image, and reshapes itself according to the new mental template.

Knocking out infected should release conscious mind's influence on malleable body, but this is not the case, as seen in prior three organics I rendered comatose on roof of gym. Implies mental 'infection' reaches down to subconcious/autonomic level.

Rendering Print-Prime unconscious may sever whatever mental link exists between him and the infected, releasing them.

Alternate Hypothesis: Trauma, even nonlethal trauma, may cause Print-Prime's mind to 'jump' to another host, giving Print a form of immortality.

Query: How did Print-Prime become such? The vast majority of illicit enhancement programs, such as those run by the Power House, are physical, not mental. Is an existing enhancer branching out into other fields? Or is this a new supplier? One with acces to mentally-susceptible metamorphic biomaterials, possibly of Grue origin?

In short order Protectron's thrusters brought it to the home it sought, and as soon as it was in range it opened fire on the Prints, snaring those furthest from the home. But where was Print-Prime?

GM

There was a trail of Print's leading directly to Mrs and Mrs Bell, an elderly couple with no criminal record as far as Protectron could see. The home was small, but quaint in its own way, located on the outskirts of the Fens, half-dragged out of the "bad neighbourhoods" but with one foot still in it.

Circling the house, Protectron could see ten Print's. Five were dressed as police officers, and five more in assorted "street" or "urban" wear. These lot seemed big, strong, and powerful - as if Print had selected his more dangerous cronies to push ahead. Not that the others en route had not caused havoc prior to Protectron's work.

But this was the vanguard.

"Hold off, Robot!" sneered one.

"The woman was unfaithful...." said another.

"Didn't want to be with Print...", yet another.

"...so she cane become one! hahaha!"

"And junior too! hehehehe! he is Print's!!"

And with that, one Print kicked down the front door...

Protectron hovered, scanning quickly over the Prints.

Assessment: Superior physical specimens used by Print-Prime in this assault, indicating a calculated move by Print.

Query: Why does Print thinks Kelly and Junior are here at Kelly'sparents? Is she not still with protective services?

If protective services saw no need to hold her, they would have released her, not knowing of Print's new ability. And when released, she would have gone where she felt most secure: not her own home, in which she was attacked so often by Print, but in the home of her parents.

Observation: Anomalous Print detected; subject appears to lag behind other Prints, but closer examination of gestures and microexpressions indicate that Print is subtly directing the others. 87% probability Print is Print-Prime.

The mighty golden robot tilted towards the apparent orchestrator. "Harold Print," it announced in it flat electronic voice, holding up one hand, palm out, "please cease these criminal activities."

GM

"Harold Print," it announced in it flat electronic voice, holding up one hand, palm out, "please cease these criminal activities."

The "real" Print was a little startled at Protectron's "Guess". His eyes shifted left then right.

"How didja...How...?" he mumbled, angrily.

"Never mind, no Robot is going to stop me. You can call me Blueprint from now on. The one and only!" he roared, pausing to laugh heartily.

"And let me tell you, ya no-good piece of scrap. No peice-a junk is going to stand between me and the new order, Print-world! Just think...no more wars, no more fightin', no more cruelty! Just everybody a Print! Bah! ya wouldn't understand, and yer can't be part of it, being just a pieca steel. Meybe that's why ya gonna try to stop me, eh? But trash like you probably don't have emotions do ya? Ya wouldn't understand the grit of livin', and livin' in the Fens at that..."

Whilst angry, he was full of spit and bile too, and apparently genuine horror at the world.

Prediction proved correct. Huzzah.

Assessment: Blueprint's motives appear well-intentioned, from his point of view, but argument contains several flaws.

Hypothesis: Given his alpha-male behavior and interest in his mate and child, pointing out flaws regarding those aspects may prove most effective at either getting him to stop, or throwing him off guard enough that I can swiftly subdue him.

The mighty golden robot kept its restraint-launching arm-cannon aimed at Blueprint, and its glowing eyes remained trained on him, but ti did answer back, in its typical electronic monotone. "You underestimate my capacity for creativity and empathy," it began, "but I can appreciate your desire to reduce wars and conflict for other organics. You wish to make the world safe for your son, yes? However, what you are attempting will stop more than that. It will stop all creativity, all innovation; if everyone thinks like you, no one is left to think like a medical doctor -- what will you do if your son gets sick, or injured? You also doom Print-World to eventual death: if everyone is a Print, then everyone is male. How will you reproduce and continue the species?"

GM

Print just laughed at the Robot.

"Get sick? Die? hahahaha!" he seemed genuinely amused by the concept.

"I don't get sick! I don't die! I don't age, If you cut me, I heal..." he laughed "yes, that's right. Before, I was just some boxer down on his luck, coulda been a contender, all that. Yeah, I had the skills, but I got beat up onec to often, turned my face to this..." he laughed, pointing and his battered profile.

"So I got improved...turns out I got some immunity or something, science never was my strength. Bashing people inna face, that was what I was good at. Still, turns out I could get improved real easy, take stuff would kill other people. I was the perfect test subject! hahaha!"

"Stronger, faster, I don't stop...now, the last thing I wanted was that serum in the wrong hands. By that, I mean anybodys hands. So I killed the nerd who made it, smashed up all the stuff. Only going to be one Harry Print, I said to myself...hahahaha!"

"But then I learned there was going to be a lot more of me, if ya get my meaning. A lot more. Turns out between my DNA, and the serum, I'm like a goddam infection. Like a goddam God...Print is so powerful, he pushes himself into other people..."

"And I ain't got anything to fear from getting old, or sick, or hurt. I'm to strong for that. And junior here, well, I reckon he got some of my DNA in 'im, ain't he. So, I'll be generous, lets see what he does with my power. He'll never get old, or sick, or die either!"

Fascinating...

Attempting new conversational track.

"And if it does not?," it asked flatly. "Metahuman abilities have proven to be extremely difficult to replicate or predict."

"And what about everyone else?," it continued. "Do they share your immortality, your toughness? I have managed to knock out several of your copies, so it would appear they do not. And if that is that case, then what will you do in a few short decades, when all the other Prints are gone, and you are the only sapie- only intelligent life form on this world?"

"And even if some of them are as immortal and tough as you, what will you all do with this world? Any conversations you could have would be one-sided, if they are all copies or extensions of your mind."

GM

"...I never was much of a con-ver-sationalist..." replied Blueprint, unhappy at Protectron's logic. Indeed, the Robot's words seem to be infecting him with uncertainty and doubt. Although perversely enough, that made him all the more angry.

"Well, maybe I won't infect the world, then..." he muttered "...just enough...enough...I guess I can disinfect people too...so there will be women...and...then..."

He shook his fist.

"Why are you trying to make everything so damn complicated! just trying to make me all confused, and stupid! Like everyone does...Harry Print, had his brain's bashed out, one fight to many...well, I've had a belly full of that talk. This is the day of the Print!"

He smacked his fist into his palm.

"I got given a second chance. To make sumthin' of myself. Give junior a future. It's my turn to spit at you! I'm done be-in' spat at!"