To launch a thousand faces! (IC)

Supercape

GM

Saturday 25th February, the Lab...

She was six foot, blonde, and beautiful.

Her clothes were well cut, and had that look that bordered between elegant and sexy, but were a hairs breadth from being indecent at the same time. But at the moment, they were ruffled and ill worn. She had big, green eyes, with that wet look of fear, sadness, or anxiety. He hair was long and permed, but somehow didn't look too cheap.

Her looks would be impressive, although not outstanding, but it was marred by a huge bruise on her left cheek, a black, red, and purple monster that reached up into an impressive black eye.

And she was carrying an infant.

She ran into the Lab in a distraught state, rushing right up to the receptionist.

"Help me! Protect me! He has gone mad!!! Somebody's got to do something, or - I don't know what! He said he wanted every human on the planet..."

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the three months since Protectron's security clearance had been upgraded, the strange robot had been even more visible throughout the building. It still went on the occasional patrol through the city, lending aid wherever it could, but its increased responsibilities at The Lab meant it had to run around to more places. It helped that it could be in two places at once; many a day was there when its head was seen zipping through the air over Lab visitors, delivering some vital component for one of the other Lab founder's experiments, delivering small snack baskets to the scientists working long hours, or bopping along through the air playing a merry tune as it gave younger visitors an animated tour of the facility, all while its body remained in some semi-isolated spot to perform fairly routine tasks. When the woman ran in, Protectron's head was zipping along, a small basket of trail mix, jerked meats, and energy drinks in its maw, to be delivered to Dragonfly.

Observation: Female Human, with baby (gender undetermined). Woman shows sinistral buccal and periorbital hematoma; potential for zygomatic fracture.

Hypothesis: Assault.

Primary Goal: Investigate.

Secondary Goal: Calm organic.

Tertiary Goal: Preserve as much organic life as possible.

"Greetings, organic," the gold-and-chrome head said in a mostly flat tone. (Dragonfly and Miss Americana had tried working with Protectron to give its voice more inflection, but its self-repair nanites had thus far undone any hardware work they attempted.) It set the basket down on the receptionist's desk, "I am Protectron, a mechanoid devoted to preserving life. You are safe within these walls -- The Lab has excellent defenses. Is your facial wound the only injury which needs attending?"

The woman tried to console her infant as Protectron sped to meet her. And, to her credit, she was fairly successful. The infant soon quietened down under her loving affections.

As Protectron approached her eyes widened.

"Greetings, organic,"

She gulped at the sight of the robot.

"...greetings..." she whispered,thunderstruck.

"I am Protectron, a mechanoid devoted to preserving life. You are safe within these walls -- The Lab has excellent defenses. Is your facial wound the only injury which needs attending?"

She examined the golden robot more carefully.

"Yeah, I got hit...it's, well, it's my husband..." she started.

"Organic?" she interjected to herself.

"...he's never been a good guy, I know, mixed up with the mob, armed robbery, assault, a real bruiser. But, well, he treated me nice. All he ever wanted was a son - and I tried to give him want he wanted. But the doctors said he couldn't have children. Well, if you knew him, he's not the kinda guy who takes no for an answer, least not while he can answer right back with his mitts..."

She touched her injured cheek lightly and winced.

"So he got help, some kind of science thing, not legal, experimental he said. Kept going on and on about how he wanted to leave his mark, live forever...that kind of thing. Well, I guess he has a big ego, to tell the truth. Real big..."

"After the treatment, well I got pregnant, sure enough, but he...well, he ain't been perfect, I admit, but he started getting more and more wrapped up himself, like he was the only thing in the world. Then, this morning, I gave birth, to a daughter..."

She showed him the young infant.

"Then, he went crazy...real crazy. Laughing hysterically, angry, cackling to himself. Like real nuts, y'know. Gave me a real shiner, then ran off...and said he would leave his mark on the whole world...."

She paused for a moment...

"Organic?" she asked "What kind of name is that? What are you calling me? Are you for real?"

Observation: Disturbance appears to be domestic in nature, though with elements of super-science.

Hypothesis: Father went into psychotic rage at discovery of having conceiving a daughter when he had desired a son; rage exacerbated by whatever hormonal treatments he had undergone to improve fertility.

Contacting police and social services...

Protectron accessed the Lab's phone line to call the respective authorities while continuing to engage the woman. "Apologies, madam," it continued, remaining in the exact same relative position to her, "I meant 'organic' as in 'living being, composed chiefly of carbon atoms.' You are Homo sapiens, human? May I have your name, please?"

GM

"A'hm Kelly Print" replied the lady, obviously more happy with the designation homo sapien than organic, although she didn't know what it meant.

It sounded more official.

"And this here is Junior" she said, waving her fingers in front of the distracted infants eyes.

"And my good for nuthin husbands name is Harry. 'Handsome' Harry, they call him, 'though he's got a face like it's been through a mangler, if 'truth be told. Guess its kind of a joke, huh? you can't miss 'im, bald, mean, tough, and a face like a bulldog...'ere a'hve even got a photo of him!" she added, bringing out her handbag and passing Protectron a grainy black and white photo.

"You gotta stop him, mister!" she said, looking scared once more "that treatment, it did something to him...something...I don't know what, but it warped his brain, mister, not that it needed much of a push, I got to admit..." she said, more thoughtfully.

"You gotta stop him now! He's down in the Fens, I can give you his hideouts..."

Transmission of preliminary report received by police station and social services offices.

Observation: Photograph shows bone deformation and dermal discoloration inconsistent with known hormonal treatment therapies.

Hypothesis: Discoloration caused by hematomas due to burst capillaries caused by spike in blood pressure, indicative of stimulant use. Which would also explain rage.

"I will be sure to forward the information," it intoned, "to the proper authorities, so they may investigate and act on the situation. Did your husband exhibit any manifestations of metahuman ability since receiving the treatments? If so, I shall need to contact the STAR Squad as well as the standard police."

GM

"I will be sure to forward the information to the proper authorities, so they may investigate and act on the situation. Did your husband exhibit any manifestations of metahuman ability since receiving the treatments? If so, I shall need to contact the STAR Squad as well as the standard police."

"Metahuman ability?" mouthed Kelly, a few times, unaware that she was actually saying the words out loud.

"Oh, you mean, like super-powers, like Doctor Archy-villain, and Day-Dealers, and Pussoodo?" she asked, saying the names carefully and inaccurately.

"I don't know. He...looked the same, I guess...but there was something about him. I know him, and, well, he was always tough, y'know? guess that's how a gal like me fell for him, more fool me...but something about him now...I can't put my finger on it, but trust me, I know him, there was something about him. It was like he was, well just more of him, like he was even more real, than normal, like nothing could stop him, like it was him, times twenty. I know it makes no sense, but I know him...and that's what he was like..."

Observation: Woman [Kelly Print] is slurring certain words.

Hypothesis: Cerebral trauma.

Amending reports to police and social workers.

The head continued to hover above the reception desk. "'More' of him? 'More' real? Please explain. Did he manifest an ability to duplicate himself? To grow to an increased height? To increase his density?"

Observation: Woman [Kelly Print] providing unclear description of events.

Primary Goal: Investigate firsthand.

Secondary Goal: Provide adequate report to law enforcement agents.

Calling Body Unit....

"Madame, I would like to assist you, but it seems I can only do so by interacting with your husband directly. Please give me his location. An agent from social services should be here shortly to see to you and your child, and The Lab has staff capable of treating your wounds."

GM

Later, at the Fens...

31 Flag Street

Flag Street was not the worst part of the Fens. But it wasn't far from it. Drugs, prostitution, gambling, alcoholism, poverty. They all had a residence here. This was deep in the heart of tough street life, so tough that even the organised gangs usually didn't directly deal with it. Sure, police and social services did there best, but all but the most optimistic felt like it was a loosing battle.

31 Flag Street, that was the address Kelly Print had given. One of her partners haunts. Probably his favourite, and probably were he was right now. Truth was, Handsome Harry Print didn't have many friends, they were more what you would call people he intimidated into doing what he wanted. Intimidation and fear was something Harry was good at.

And dishing out on the promises of violence if need be.

Well, even if not be. That was Handsome Harry Print for you.

A Police Car was already outside the building, it's sirens flashing.

The Fens round here was more a warren, an Olympic stadium for freerunners who could dash and jump through and over the tumbledown old and concrete new. Harry's apparetment here was bigger than most, almost a storehouse.

Some youth's were already eyeing up the police car in a suspicious way when Protectron arrived. They shuffled back a few steps when the Golden Robot arrived, looking at him carefully.

Observation: Police presence already in effect.

Primary Goal: Investigate.

Secondary Goal: Secure "Handsome" Harry Print.

Side Note: Ask Friend-Dragonfly's romantic partner to set up meeting with her brother, to discuss concepts behind 'nicknaming'

The mighty golden robot landed next to he car, and turned first to address the onlookers. "Please back away, citizens," it said in its flat, efficient monotone, "there may be a dangerous and unstable man with metahuman abilities within this dwelling."

(GM)

"Holy schmizzle!" said one of the trio, a thin black youth with a moehican "Its that Protectatron cat!"

The other two, both with Mexican complexions and accents nodded. They might have been brothers, one muscular and bald, the other short and snake like, with long hair brushing over his leather jacket.

"Yeah, and the dudes made of goooooooold!" He said, drawing out the word with a slow whistle.

All three nodded.

"Check out Da blinging Bling! Man, we are outta the ghetto, my brothers!" Said the large brother.

"Hold up" Replied the thin black youth "He is one of Dem heroes, right, super powered stuff!"

The smaller, shifty brother paused.

"You right. We needing heavier stuff for this gig, send the word, guess there's enough to share..."

He called out to Protectron.

"Yeah we seen some dude in there, golden boy! Totally safe though, you don't need no blasters or ray guns or force fields or anything!"

The strange golden robot regarded the three youths with unwavering green optics, "thank you for your information, citizens. For you own safety," it turned and began marching towards the building, "please evacuate the immediate area so the law enforcement officers will have adequate room to work."

Observation: Trio of organics do not have similar or matching outfits or other signifiers of gang membership, despite latest police reports indicating gang membership in this area is significantly higher than in the rest of Freedom City.

Hypothesis: Youths are not member of gang, but merely a random collection of organics.

Threat Assessment: Negligible.

"Harry Print," it announced in its electronic monotone, "aka 'Handsome' Harry Print, please come out with your hands up. You are wanted for questioning in regards to injuries sustained by your wife, Kelly."

GM

There was a long pause after Protectron's request, until eventually the door flung open, and Harry Print himself flew out. His features were unmistakable. Just like the photograph, he was a rough, tough, man with a bald head, scars, boxers nose, and a face that looked like it had been beaten up a dozen times.

He was also wearing an official SWAT vest, and carrying an official submachine gun too.

"I'm Harry Print!" he yelled straight at Protectron's face.

"Yeah, It's me!" he added.

"And what are you going to do about it?" he asked, still shouting straight at the golden robot. He seemed quite furious, red faced. He was not actually pointing his gun at the robot hero, but he looked like he had a trigger finger.

Observation: Harry Print armed and armored. Status of metahuman abilities unconfirmed. Status of police officers remains unknown; possible that the vest he is wearing was taken from them after he subdued them.

Tactic: Monitor radio frequencies to note when police backup will arrive, presuming it was called in. Verbally engage 'Handomse' Harry, distract while awaiting backup. Disarm and subdue if necessary.

"Do? That is entirely up to you, Mister Print." Protectron neither advanced nor retreated, but it did hold its hands up, palms outward, to show it held nothing. "Your wife, Kelly, came to The Lab seeking aid, for her and her daughter. She was quite distraught, and seemed to believe you were going to severely injure her, beyond the periorbital hematoma -- or 'black eye' -- that you had already given her. The police and social services have already been contacted, and her wounds are being treated. I have come to make sure you cooperate with the authorities, and to learn if and why you did this."

GM

"Harry Print is going nowhere!" came the defiant reply. "He is the greatest! the greatest! soon the whole world will know Harry Print!"

The reply come with a cacophony of insane laughter.

"And you..." he continued, jabbing Protectron's golden chest directly with his finger "can't do a thing about it, mister! Harry Print is going to rule. His face is going to be everywhere!"

With this he almost collapsed in hysterical laughter.

"I love Harry Print!" he said, looking up at Protectron from his doubled up pose "and Harry Print ain't going nowhere with you, you shiny faced robot! what are you going to do about that, eh?" he asked, clicking the safety off his submachine gun menacingly.

Observation: Subject referring to self in third person. Possible indication of mental damage from hormonal treatments.

WARNING: Submachine gun safety disengaged.

Threat to Self: Minimal
    Threat to Others: Non-Trivial

Revising Tactic: Disarm, subdue.

"This."

Protectron's left hand shot up and grabbed the barrel of the gun, jerking it out of Print's grip, while simultaneously rearing back with its right hand and delivering a precisely positions piston-like open-palm strike to Print's chest. The force was great enough to knock the wind from Print, and he folded like a ragdoll. Protectron dropped the firearm and caught Print by the collar of his SWAT vest, then repositioned him so it had one arm around the man, pinning one of his arms.

Observation: Harry Print does not appear to have developed any metahuman abilities from the hormonal treatments.

Once Print was secured, the mighty robot radioed the police. "This is Protectron. I have secured 'Handsome' Harry Print, the man wanted for questioning regarding the assault on Kelly Print. Police car is at scene, but I see no evidence of the officers. Print is wearing a SWAT issue vest; probability he stole it from them is high."

"Message received, Protectron! Sending a squad car over to pick him up. Thanks for keeping Freedom City Safe!" came the reply over the radio, a squarking, keen voice.

"Hold up a sec...I got note here about that SWAT patrol. They arrived about twenty minutes ago. Some local fight broke out, and Print, well he got a reputation...Holy Schmoley...are the other officer's ok? do you need medical assistance?"

As the voice continued, the thin black youth, complete with mohican, dropped down from the walkway above, right behind Protectron.

"It's payday, guys!" he said, excitedly, swinging the crowbar in his hands and jumping right at Protectron letting loose a mighty blow!

Analysis: As condition and location of police officers is unknown, it would be negligent for me to leave now with 'Handsome' Harry until their status can be ascertained.

"Status and location of other officers unknown," it continued flatly to the dispatcher on the other end of its radio connection, remaining audibly silent and thus appearing to not notice the approaching gangbangers, "advise sending medical personnel in addition to police officers. What is status of Kelly-"

Internal Repair Update
    Radar online
    Sonar online

WARNING: Threat Detected

The reflected pulses of radio and ultrasonic waves alerted Protectron of the attack, allowing the mighty robot to sidestep out of the way without even turning to face its attacker! "Change of plans," it continued 'silently,' remaining audibly silent and thus appearing even more aloof to the trio. "Due to assault by three youths, I shall bring 'Handsome' Harry to the nearest police station. Recommendation of sending police and medical personnel to this location remains."

Threat Assessment: Minimal, but time spent engaged may give Harry Print time to awaken.

Tactic: Intimidation

Finally it spoke aloud, "police backup is already en route. I have recorded your assault upon me, as well as your faces and voice prints, with my superior robotic sensors. Your attacks cannot harm me; my superior robotic body will not be stopped. Return now to your homes, and I shall not press charges." It was a decent threat, but would its flat delivery hinder it?

GM

The youth stumbled forward, his swing unbalancing him as the Golden Robot swiftly moved to one side.

"Hey how did you...stay still, dude!" he mumbled, angry with himself for missing an open target.

"police backup is already en route. I have recorded your assault upon me, as well as your faces and voice prints, with my superior robotic sensors. Your attacks cannot harm me; my superior robotic body will not be stopped. Return now to your homes, and I shall not press charges."

The young man frowned, looking at the unconscious man in the Robot's hand. He turned to look at the impassive face. He was vexed that his prize was resisting.

"There's enough gold on you to make me a millionaire, dude. Get me out of the Fens. I ain't leaving till I got me a slice..." he retaliated, hefting his crowbar once more.

"I ain't going to live all my life in this hell hole, living next to the likes of Harry Pri....whoaaaa!" he yelped, eyes open as he looked past Protectron to the doorway of Harry Prints house.

There, at the doorway, was another figure.

Dressed in a SWAT jacket, holding a Submachine Gun, was another Harry Print!

The same unmistakable face snarled at Protectron.

"You ain't see the last of Harry Print, Punk!" he spat at the Golden Robot, and cocked his gun...

"That is highly unlikely," the golden android replied factually, sidestepping a few more ineffective swipes, "as you lack the strength necessary to pierce my alloy structure, as well as the accuracy required to land a solid hit. I-"

ALERT: Movement detected at entrance to 'handsome' Harry Print's home.

ERROR 'Handsome' Harry Print detected.

Hypothesis #1: Kelly Print lied when asked about Duplication abilities.

Hypothesis #2: Viral Copying; 'Handsome' Harry Print is somehow turning other organics into copies of himself; re: 'Conquering Mind'. Police officers are not missing, they have been subsumed.

Further information needed.

Warning, the robot inaudibly transmitted to the police/EMT dispatcher, possible metahuman-generated biological contamination on premises. Advise not coming into direct contact with 'Handsome' Harry Print until further analysis is made.

"Fascinating," it said to the doppelganger. It kept one optic on the youths, in case they started showing signs of metamorphosing. "But if you are 'Handsome' Harry Print, then whom am I holding? Also, are there any more of you?"

"But if you are 'Handsome' Harry Print, then whom am I holding? Also, are there any more of you?"

"I never said I was Harry Print" replied the man.

"I said you haven't seen the last of him!" he laughed.

"That's all you'll be seeing! Harry Print's face, everywhere!" he said, a grin on his face. "Nobody is going to stop him! Not you! Not nobody!"

"Because Harry Print's the greatest!" he shouted right at the Golden Robot. And with that his machine gun spat out a hail of lead, the shooter laughing as he whipped his weapon left and right.

"Aaaah! Harry Print Shot Me!" screamed the youth behind the Robot, caught be a stray bullet. He slumped to the ground in shock, holding out his hand, covered in his own blood. A damp red patch was seen on one side of his abdomen.

ALERT: Injury to organic civilian!

Tactical Analysis: Disarm and Subdue "Doppelganger" of Harry Print t prevent further harm, then tend to injured organic's wound.

Civilian injured, the mighty robot radioed to the dispatcher, by a second 'Handsome' Harry Print.

With surprising fluidity belying its large frame, the golden robot's free arm shot up and jerked the gun away from the second 'Handsome' Harry, dropped it, then shot back up to land an open-palmed strike right between his eyes. The shooter staggered, but before he had hit the ground the mighty robot had scooped him up with its free arm.

It turned to face the injured youth, a Harry Print slung over each shoulder. "Medical assistance is en route. However, if you will permit me," it said as its head detached and began hovering towards him, as tiny tool-wielding arms unfolded from its neck, "I may be able to provide some in-field medical care."

GM

"Hell, I'm bleeding, man!" said the youth, his hands over his rapidly dampening t-shirt. He looked pale (for his skin tone) and sweaty, and was clearly panicking.

Meanwhile, Protectron had neatly scooped up to "Harry Print's" in full SWAT geat under each arm.

"Help me Man...I didn't mean nothing...I swear..." said the youth to Protectron's floating head "I was just...messin' you know, jes messin'...oooh...I don't feel so good man...." he said, as he slumped further, still conscious but with laboured breathing.

"Protectron....Protectron...Come in!" came the Radio signal "What is your status? Do you require assistance? We have emergency services en route...."

From inside Harry Print's house came the sound of laughter.

"You ain't ever gonna catch no Harry Print! He's the greatest!" came the faint laughter, followed by the sound of smashing glass...a window being broken.

Observation: Gunshot injury to abdomen. Bullets have pierced spleen.

Analysis: Can use non-toxic insulating foam as temporary sealant.

Analysis: Comforting words often given by caregivers to recovering parties. Studies of impact of 'positive thinking' on wound healing inconclusive, but would not impede functioning.

"There, there," the floating head said flatly as it worked. "All will be well. Protectron is here for you, organic."

Civilian injured, Protectron radioed back to the dispatcher, along with a description of the injuries and the nature of its attempts to stabilize him. I have two 'Handsome' Harry Prints detained, but be advised, at least one more is still on the lose.

GM

"Message received, Protectron!" replied the officer of the radiowaves.

"Dispatch we have a....a...."

"...."

"...I don't think they have a code number for it, but we've got it! on our way, ambulance en route!"

Meanwhile

"....Man....it hurts...." whimpered the youth.

"You saved my life, dude! you saved my bleedin' life!" he wailed. "You are awesome...dude...." he continued, wincing with the pain.

"You are one awesome golden dude. Hey man, I'm sorry about bustin you up back there. You just be a meal ticket out of this hell hole, you know! But know, you saved my life. The Flag Street gang...we got your back dude...."

As he spoke, his two friends sidled up to Protectron from across the road, dropping their makeshift clubs as they did so.

"Jeepers! they shot Wild Willy!" said the other black man, who may have been 'Willy's" brother. "Oh man, this is some messed up day! I can't believe you shot Wild Willy!" he yelled at Protectron.

"Chill man, chill!" said Wild Willy "Mah Golden dude here, he saved me! Harry Print shot me, or at least somebody who looks like him. Don't dress like him, that's f'shure!" he said, wincing once again at the end of his sentence.

"But this here dude, he stitched me up. Saved mah damn life! So lay off him! I owe him my life, man, and the Flag Street Gang always pays its dues!"