"Well, there's that old saying about roads to Hell and paving materials," Nick said as he looked over the downed ring bearer. "As you said, there's a lot going on with intentions in these things. There might be a way to purge the dark side from the ring... but if they're that tied to human nature, then you might as well try and purge that side from humanity. This man made choices; the ring likely made them easier, but they were his all the same."

He took a good, long look at the ring. "If you give me some time to study this... I can probably come up with a really effective container. To make sure this doesn't happen again. Of course, I can come to visit it at your leisure. Not like I'm going to put this in my dresser or anything."

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dusting off the sleeves of his jacket with brief, efficient movements, Midnight gave Cobalt Templar a look that probably meant to be reassuring but lost something being filtered through dimly gleaming ruby lenses and a featureless expanse of his mask. "Ever go mad," he promised the younger hero with a clap on the back, "put you down. Never see it coming." Although the sentence was delivered entirely is a toneless deadpan, Corbin knew his former classmate well enough to realize that that was more words than Trevor ever would have used on an actual threat. Clearly the black clad detective was not particularly worried about the possibility.

"Hm. I don't know if it'll need much more purging than just not being used. Both of these are going to be locked up for a couple decades, unless I find someone I think is extremely worthy. Still, having you and one or two other mages take a peek to make sure there's at least no 'outside influence' might not be a terribad idea, Nick. As for study, might be best if I brought them to you; today hasn't made me any less paranoid about someone wanting these."

He tossed the orange ring up for a moment before catching it and tucking it away in a pocket at his belt-side. He looked at Midnight with a cheesy grin.

"Whereas you'll have plenty of warning if all of this ever goes to my head. Well, that or I try wearing 2 or more rings; the colors would probably be visible from orbit. Thought if you do have to knock me out, mind not going for the face? I want a fallback plan in case history, business, and/or hero work all fail, and I figure 'action movie star' might work out for me."

Midnight shook his head sadly. "Already delusional," he lamented, his voice gravelly and flat through the filter in his mask. "Tragic." Placing a pair of fingers to his ears, he spoke into a build-in communicator. "Redbird. Status?"

The autonomic intelligence's voice came through a small speaker at the vigilante's wrist for the benefit of the other heroes. "If I had a fleshy head, I believe it would be best by a ringing sensation," she grumbled, obviously annoyed to have been taken out of the fight before they'd tracked down the true villain. "I will recover shortly."

"Good."