A Friend in Need

Lone Star

"Things did not go well, of course. Just my luck, I guess. Or something like that." Right now, he was just trying to get over the shock that his girlfriend kicked him out of her apartment. It had been one hell of a night, and he would have to a lot to tell Corbin. He wiped a tear from his eye, and sniffled a little. Blake closed his eyes for a moment, and knew that things couldn't get any worse than this.

Blake was sitting on a park bench outside of his girlfriend's condo. "Would it be cool if I stayed over tonight? I can totally cook breakfast or give you some money whenever I can hit up a bank...I think I've got a little bit in my checking account. Or I'll do some housework. I know this totally sounds like I'm squatting, but it'll just be for tonight."

He needed to get his life together. Blake realized he was homeless now, without a job, or even a degree from Claremont. It was time to stop being so reliant on others. His relationship with Jessica, although fun, did not teach him anything about fending for himself. Since his "ghostbusting" company had sunk, he was completely reliant on Jessica until tonight. God forbid I have to get a real job.

Corbin blearily rubbed his eyes as he listened to Blake, positioning himself so he was sitting on the floor, back against the bed. His frown deepened a bit as Blake spoke, before he sighed.

"Blake, you're one of my best friends. You're my first friend at Claremont, and the dude who helped me dig up the courage to ask my girlfriend on a date. Not only do you not have to pay money, do housework, or cook, you can stay in our really big house for as long as you need. My parents will understand. Crap happens, dude. But you're getting a room a couple doors down from mine, fair warning."

He looked at the clock.

"How long before you get yourself over here?"

Blake smiled in relief. He had the best friends of his life, and they were only a phone call away. "Thank you so much, Corbin. You don't know how much this means to me. You don't know how much you mean to me, man." His voiced hitched a little, and he quickly corrected this by clearing his throat. If nothing else, Blake didn't want Corbin to hear him crying over the phone. He was his best friend, but Blake was too proud to have that happen. "And I am totally okay with having a room away from your bedroom, preferably as far away as possible. No offense, but I heard enough of that at Claremont, hahaha." It felt good to laugh out loud, especially after tonight. He wiped away his tears, and stood up. "I can be there in a couple of minutes. I totally got teleportation with my new powers, so that makes moving places a lot easier. I still like the wings...they're a bit more dramatic. I'll see you in a few though!"

Blake held out his arms, and shouted triumphantly "Cthulhu f'thagn!" He didn't care who he woke up at this point. Mystic sigils lit up the dark street for a moment, and Blake was on his way.

He arrived at Corbin's house in a few minutes, and Blake resumed human form. "hey man, im outside" he texted Corbin.

Eric got a similar call soon after. He'd just gotten in after a night of ghost hunting, and had been in the middle ground between getting out of costume and preparing for bed when the phone rang. He'd been keeping Blake in his mind all night, hoping that he'd managed to work things out with his girl. But when he took the call, he found out that hadn't been the case.

"You've got the Parkhurst, if you need it," he said. "We helped settle it as a safe space for research, but there's no clause saying you can't crash there. The ghosts will understand." He paused. "Blake... I'm sorry. It really sucks to have something like this happen, especially after a change like that. If you need someone to talk to... you know I'm here. You want me to come over? I can do that. I... may need to bring coffee, though."

"Yeah, yeah, laugh it up squid-face. But hey, we're brothers in arms, really. It comes with the territory."

He hung up the phone after a few moments, and cast his gaze around the room, before standing and walking over to his dresser. It took him a few moments, but he ended up wearing some gym-style shorts and a tank top. He glanced at his bed before padding out of the room, phone still clutched in his hand as he made his way to the front door. It was reflex to adjust the alarm system to not go off when he unlocked the front door in preparation for his friend's arrival. When he saw Blake's text, he opened the door, still a bit bleary-eyed, but with a slight smile on his face.

"Come on in, man. Do you have any bags or anything?"

"You've got the Parkhurst, if you need it," he said. "We helped settle it as a safe space for research, but there's no clause saying you can't crash there. The ghosts will understand." He paused. "Blake... I'm sorry. It really sucks to have something like this happen, especially after a change like that. If you need someone to talk to... you know I'm here. You want me to come over? I can do that. I... may need to bring coffee, though."

"Thank you, Nick. Your hospitality means a lot to me, but I'm actually crashing at Corbin's place tonight. I may take you up on staying at the Parkhurst for a little bit, at least until I can get back into Claremont. Oh, here he is. I do appreciate the offer, Nick. I'll give you a call tomorrow. Get some sleep, man."

He smiled at Corbin, and rushed over to embrace the big guy. "Thanks, man. I do so totally owe you one. And no, unfortunately all of my crap is still at Jessica's place. It might be a little more than awkward to show up again. I think-" he reached in his pocket, and showed Corbin his empty hand. "I don't have anything on me. Oh wait." Blake reached down and picked up a stick, and held it in his hand. His hands flickered with eldritch power, and the stick was transformed into a toothbrush and a travel-sized tube of toothpaste. "I like to think ahead."

Corbin shook his head at the magical toothbrush.

"Yeah yeah, very fancy, get on in here."

Once Blake was inside, Corbin closed the hefty wooden door and locked it, turning around with a pensive look on his face.

"Let's see...which room to put you in..."

He glanced at his friend's still-empty hands.

"Um. Maybe I should go by her place tomorrow? To get your stuff, that is. Might be better if you two don't come face-to-face so soon after a fight like that one. This'll give you a couple days to calm down and cool off, at least."

Corbin was personally hoping Blake and Jessica would work things out; they really seemed to like each other, despite all their faults.

"Anyways. I'll get you over to a room, and point out the bathroom. We can explain things to my parents in the morning. They might be a little surprised, but I'll smooth things over, don't worry. I just hope Quo-Dis didn't get totally woken up..."

"Having you go over would probably be the best...if I showed up there again, she'd probably shoot me on sight. I would greatly appreciate that, buddy." He scratched the back of his head with the toothbrush. Blake was split between wanting to get back with her and moving on. On one hand, she was his first girlfriend and certainly the most supportive person he had ever had in his life. On the other hand, if she broke up with him because he made a mistake, things probably weren't meant to be. He also realized that Jessica, during their relationship, had been supporting him financially. It wasn't that it wasn't nice, but he was ready to live his own life.

"Hey, uh, Corbin?" Blake said. "Do you think Claremont would take me back? If I explain that I was just being a stupid kid, maybe they'd understand. I was being a stupid kid. If I wanted to go into entrepreneurship, it would have been a smarter move to at least wait till I was out of college."

"You didn't wreck the school or put lives in danger. I think there's a good chance Summers will let you back in, especially if you apologize. I'll vouch for you, if you promise to not slack off or ditch again. I figure my word has at least a tiny bit of weight to it.

And yeah, it's no trouble going over there. Worst case, she shoots at me. I've had worse, probably will just tickle. Anyways. This way. Oh, and make sure you don't have your game face on, and walk quietly."

With that, Corbin started to lead Blake through the Hughes home, which was quite large, with several extra bedrooms and bathrooms. Still, the decorations had a somewhat cozy feel to them, so it wasn't like some big gloomy mansion from the movies.

For his part, Corbin was trying to figure out the best way to talk to his parents about this, the best way to convince Summers to give Blake another chance, and the best way to not make things worse between his best friend and potentially-ex girlfriend.

They turned a corner in the big mansion, and there by an open window was a beautiful blonde floating in the air, wearing the scanty costume that pushed the limits of Claremont's dress code without actually breaking them. With her arms folded and a well-groomed eyebrow raised, she did not look happy to see them. Ultiteen was technically restricted to the Claremont campus at night on the weekdays, but with her regular nightly patrols that more often than not turned out to be in North Bay, it wasn't that surprising to see her. "Blake Salazar, you told Corbin that you had abandoned your eldritch powers," said Quo-Dis imperiously, focusing on her boyfriend's friend rather than Corbin for the moment. "But I saw you fly here in your old form. What have you done?"

Blake paused for a moment, trying to think up the most diplomatic solution. If he said the wrong thing, he had no doubt in his mind Quo-Dis would hang him from the highest flagpole in the city. "Uh, first off, let me say it's nice to see you again, Quo-Dis. It's been a while! And secondly..." He looked around for possible exits in case he upset her. "It wasn't my fault. I didn't actually want them back. During the...event two months ago, The Unspeakable One tried to use me as a weapon against the city. The attempt failed, but it left me with my weird powers once again." Blake figured the story about how he kept it from Jessica for two months could wait.

"And you told no one of this? You simply walked around with this dark corruption inside you?" Her hands were glowing as she talked, something Corbin knew to associate with strong emotion. "For vril's sake, Salazar, you and Corbin are friends! You have all those little...magic friend people," she added with a little wave of her hand. "Why didn't you go to them, or to us, and have them help you?" She balled her hands into fists and added, "I have some knowledge how to purge the Unspeakable One myself, but haven't yet mastered the manipulation of vril energies. You would be killed." She frowned, then added, "...Or is it because you like it?"

He felt his fists ball up in sudden anger, but he thought better of starting a fist-fight with Corbin's girlfriend. "I realize my mistake, Quo-Dis. It's hurt Jessica a lot. I don't know if I can repair our relationship." Blake leaned against the wall, and ran a hand through his hair. "I know what I've done wrong. My indecision and deception of my best friends could have hurt a lot of people. I guess I just assumed that I had them under control." He looked at Quo-Dis, his eyes tearing up. "I screwed up, okay? It's already tough enough that I don't have a home or a job or a girlfriend. Sympathy is the last thing I need right now. I dug my own grave, and now I've got to pull my way out."

Corbin had somewhat meekly stepped to the side when he saw Quo-Dis floating there in all her power and glory. He felt torn between standing up for his friend, and acknowledging some of the legitimate points his lover was making.

'I hope she's not too angry at me...Crap. Mental link.'

He managed not to facepalm at that thought. But then Quo-Dis mentioned purging and killing, and accused Blake of liking his powers, and Corbin didn't like where this was going. So, ringless that he might be, he stepped in between the two other teenagers.

"Whoa there darling. I get where you're coming from. I do. And it's good to know there are options available. But let's not talk about options that leave one of my best friends dead."

He looked between the two of them and sighed.

"How about a truce for the night? I really would like to sleep at least a few hours tonight. I'm sure Blake would too. And I'd rather not wake my parents up in the middle of the night. So, those of us who are going to sleep, let's sleep, and in the morning, we talk this over, a bit more calmly. Is that good with both of you?"

Quo-Dis rubbed her temples, squinching up her pretty face as she bit back what would have been a bluntly critical comment. "It's your house, Corbin Hughes," she said, sounding fatigued of the conversation as well. "But I will have to tell Mr. Summers about this," she added in a tone that brooked no argument. "I am sorry if this is a shame for you, Blake Salazar, and if it has kept you from having any further relations with Jessica, but this is a secret too important for us to keep to ourselves," she added to Corbin, her big blue eyes fixed on his. "I will be back tomorrow." She leaned in and kissed Corbin on the cheek, giving Blake a sad look in the process, then turned around and flew out the open window.

Blake watched her fly out, his eyes full of sadness as well. He slumped down to the floor, and put his hands over his face. "This moment, Corbin. This moment is the lowest point of my life. If it's alright with you, I think some sleep would be helpful." His hands fell down to his side and he looked up at his friend. "I do appreciate you letting me stay over, man. Maybe we can see if Nick's available to discuss what my options are for the future. Then I should head back to Claremont with my tail between my knees. Or, tentacles, as it is." Blake chuckled a little and smoothed his hair back.

"At least this is happening now, and not a few years down the road. I'm still young, and I know I've screwed up. There's still plenty of time to put myself back on the right path. Right, Corbin?"

"Well. If this is the lowest point, you might count yourself blessed. The world can be a mean place, Blake. Just remind yourself it'll go up from here.

And like I said before, you're one of my best friends. Kind of like a brother. One who's a bit boneheaded sometimes, but that's the way it goes. And I think talking options with Nick is good. But for what it's worth, I'm sure we can house you for more than a day here. Might be better, actually. Parkhurst is a good place, as I understand it, but most of those folks are past schooling. I'd wager it's busy enough there it'd be hard to study. Here, we have more quiet space, and my parents are already in the mindset of keeping my keester on track for school. Up to you.

How about you make a call to Claremont tomorrow while I get your stuff. Then we move from there."

He clapped one huge hand on his friend's shoulder.

"And yes. There's plenty of time to make things right. Go get some sleep. It's what I'm doing. You can stay there."

He points to a room 3 doors down the hall from his room. He points to another door on the opposite side of the hall.

"Bathroom there. Night Blake."

And he quietly slipped into his own room to collapse into sleep for at least a few hours.

Blake nodded and headed towards the bedroom. "Goodnight, man. I'll talk to you tomorrow. And thanks." He turned back and smiled at his friend.

------

He tossed and turned in the large bed. It was a rough night, and Blake kicked the covers off of his bed while he slept. His anxiety and the issues of the previous night caused him to have terrible nightmares, and he awoke the next morning looking more tired than before. It was at least good to have a plan for the day- he knew he would have a lot more things on his mind had he not been able to stay over at Corbin's place. For now, he sat on the bed, and stared at the ceiling for a moment. "Better get today started." he said, and made his way into the hallway to brush his teeth and get ready.

Not for the first time, Corbin woke up with a voice in his head that sounded remarkably like his girlfriend. "" Quo-Dis had found his sleeping mind and jostled him awake that morning. When he'd had time to realize exactly where he was and what was going on, Ultiteen filled him in on what had happened the night before: maybe she was mad at Blake, but she was still on the side of her friends and especially her boyfriend. ""

Corbin groaned as he slowly woke up. He'd slept fitfully, the rather busy day having left his mind rather full of random thoughts and even fears. He privately shared Quo-Dis's hesitation about Blake's powers, but he still sought to try and support his friend.

"<Yeah yeah. I'm up, I'm up. Gah. Yeah, I know the look. I'll make sure Blake's up and around, and we'll get over there ASAP. I guess after that, I'll have to swing by Jessica's apartment. That'll sure be a fun time, yes sir.>"

Quo-Dis could almost taste the mental sarcasm in that sentence. Still, Corbin got himself up out of bed and began his morning rituals.

"<See you soon, darlin'. I'm thinkin' less than an hour, between getting ready and driving over.>"

Corbin was walking through the hall to the bathroom he typically used when he saw Blake heading toward the one next to it.

"Blake, head's up. Make it as quick as you can, Summers wants us at Claremont as soon as we can get there. I'll drive, but try not to daydream too much."

With that, he walked into his bathroom and shortly started his shower.

Blake mentally raised an eyebrow, but decided against saying anything. "Can do, buddy." He went back to his room and changed into what he wore yesterday, and tried to make some sense out of his hair. Why does he want to see me right now? I don't even have my crap back from Jessica's place yet. Is he aware that...I have my powers back? Agh, whatever. He ended up putting a bit of gel on his comb and slicking it back, because that was the only way his cowlick-ridden hair would stay in one place. "Ready when you are, man!" Blake called out.

He sat in his room, waiting for Corbin. Blake was bored, and summoned a ball of eldritch fire, and tossed it between his two hands. Why did The Unspeakable One want to give him his powers back? What purpose did it serve to leave him with his cthonian form again? These questions buzzed around Blake's mind as he waited glumly. Man, Summers is gonna be pissed.

Suddenly, a hand made of blue fire flared into existence, right over the green fire Blake was juggling. The hand clenched shut, and Blake's "toy" was snuffed out. The hand was almost immediately gone as well. If and when Blake turned to investigate, he would see Corbin standing in the doorway, wearing jeans, a white t-shirt, a denim jacket, and an unreadable expression.

"I gave my parents the 5-minute version. They're fine with you having stayed the night, and they're fine with you staying here as long as you need to, your pride be damned. But it would probably be best if we don't scorch the floor. Come on."

With that he straightened up from where he'd been leaning against the door frame, and gestured for Blake to follow him.

A couple of minutes later, they ought to be in Corbin's blue early 00's Mercedes sedan, and on the road heading to Claremont.

"Just so you're not going in blind...Summers knows. About your powers. Quo-Dis told him. I don't necessarily agree with her timing, but...It was going to happen anyways. Way I see it, right now we're getting over there as soon as we can. I'll do what I can to stand in your court, Blake. But any way you look at it, this is a bit of a difficulty. Just have to stick with it."

Blake's mouth opened a bit. What?! Quo-Dis told Summers? That little...snitch! It would have made things so much easier had he not heard it from a student. Dammit. He rose from the bed, a little embarassed he had been caught playing with fire, so to speak. It wouldn't have burnt anything had it accidentally hit the floor- Blake knew mystic fire didn't work that way. Still, he stood up, and tried to put a smile on his face. He couldn't tell, but it felt more like a grimace; a "let's-get-this-over-with" smile than a genuine one. "Alright, man. Let's hit the road."

OOC: He didn't mention Quo-Dis talking until they were on the road. Just FYI.

Corbin nodded mutely and led Blake to the garage, where they quickly set out on the road.

Corbin didn't push the speed limit; it seemed he was taking the time to compose his thoughts before eventually speaking up.

"While I'm sure you're annoyed about Quo-Dis telling Summers, it's not like she didn't warn us about doing just that. Again, honesty is going to be the best policy going forward. Because of course you weren't going to march over there at 1 in the morning and tell him. Now you're rested, and can talk things over with a clear head."

He glanced at his friend.

"I hope. Point is, let's just go in there and talk to him. Answer his questions. He's probably going to be blunt and aggressive about it; you've seen how he gets sometimes. We have to roll with it."

It was almost like he was talking to himself as much as he was Blake...

It wasn't much longer before they pulled up at the school and Corbin drove to the student parking. He hopped out of the car, glancing around.

"Time to face the music, brother-man."

Despite their mutual worries about the dire fate awaiting Blake, when Corbin and Blake Salazar got to the Claremont campus they found it going on about as it always had: evidently the spiritual welfare of one particular former student didn't get in the way of regular students going to classes, teachers going about their duties, or even the red and yellow leaves falling from the many trees on the lush Claremont campus to celebrate the fall. At the Summers administration building, Quo-Dis was waiting to greet them, looking serious in the women's business suit she wore when working her job as a student helper in the front office. Excusing herself to talk to the boys for a moment, she said, "Mr. Summers is ready for you, Blake Salazar," she said seriously. Turning to Corbin, she said, a little more warmly, "He said it's better if you wait out here, Corbin."