Murder on the Victorian Express (OOC)

Supercape

Incidentally, if anybody has Medicine or Knowledge: Science, feel free to use them examining the corpse.

Jube will exploit the ever-lovin', blue-eyed heck out of his Jack of All Trades feat and Quickness, and Take 20 on both. Or that's the plan, anyway.

Medicine 'roll': 23

Knowledge/Science 'roll': 24

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to be "that guy", but I'm not sure that's a 2-Hero-Point situation. Since we're not in combat or something, having that complication activated is only brought out by, well, roleplaying it well. So "playing that well and being cool" is how we know she's undergoing the complication. Which means it's a singular HP. And yes, I'd expect the same standard to be applied to myself.

I'm awarding that for roleplaying something I found entertaining.

As an aside, I am getting weary of second guessing the rules here.

By all means put your points across, help out with rules interpretations etc, but If I am going to be arguing my way through GMing this, then im not prepared to GM it. Apologies if this is blunt, I dont mean it to be, but I wont do something I dont enjoy and this thread has already have enough quibbles over mechanics without even getting into combat.

EDIT: Also feel free to refer to refs for Abitration. I am quite happy to stand corrected on rules, I dont profess to be an expert on M&M (merely have a working knowledge). Its just about me not wanting to personally GM a thread with lots of rules queries. If thats how this site plays, I dont think I can GM for it and no hard feelings. :D

Thanks, and sorry for being a dick about this. I was probably in pain and irritable when I made that post. I have a short patience for rules arguments - normally not too short, but Im not full of reserves personally at the moment post op.

Enough winging!

Medicine: again, as Jube notices, the cause of death has been strangulation. It was stabbed once it had died.

Physical sciences knowledge: not much to garner, other than the room is full of high grades technology. Nothing suspicious in regards to the murder itself, although it is valuable stuff.

Jube will make one super-fast pass thru the entire train, running along the walls and/or ceiling so he doesn't have to fuss about obstructions, in order to see if anybody on the train has a scent that matches one of the scents on the body. He won't bother with a disguise, because even if someone does happen to see him, he'll be an indecipherable, momentary blur in their field of vision. This presumably calls for a Notice check for recognizing scents (1d20+9=15)... and I hope 15 suffices?

It does. The middle of the carriage carries three scents you recognise, as does the lounge. The three people are currently all in the Lounge (with Constable Singh). The other two scents are in the carriage next to you.

For References the train is thus:

[ Engine / Driver ]

[servants quarters / bed ]

[Kitchen / Scullery ]

[Lounge] - 3 Scents in here

[1st Class cabiins]

[2nd class cabins]

[2nd class cabins] 2 scents in here.

[brit Machine equipment, murder scene] - you are here at the moment.

[brit Machine itself]

Questions for the GM...

Of the five people whose scents Jube detected on the corpse, which ones look like they've got sufficient upper-body strength to be able to break someone's neck?

Also -- of those five, which ones had the corpse's scent on them? (this question assumes Jube managed to notice that when he was zipping thru the cars, which may or may not be a valid presumption)

The two "probably Sikhs": Were they wearing what Jube would recognize as appropriately Sikh attire? Turbans for sure, perhaps other stuff which Cubist is unaware of but might be covered by Jube's Knowledge: THeology & Philosophy (9) skill? And how about those traditional Sikh knives?

ok:

They would all have sufficient strength to commit the deed, being men of at least average build and prowess. However, Lord Willowbreak is in particularly good shape (even though more elderly). Baron Ramstein is in exceptional shape (even stronger) being a sportsman.

All of them have the scent of Sir Crane on them - in Donald, Willowbreak and Ramsteins case this is not unusual as they were probably together in the Lounge Carriage. It dosen't explain why the Sikh men have that scent on them.

With that Theology knowledge, sure, the men are definately dressed as Sikhs, including carrying the traditional Sikn knife, the Kirpan.

Scent-search of the train's outer surface: If Quickness-plus-Take-20 is applicable, Jube will Take 20 on this little feat. As noted in the post, there are some non-trivial negative modifiers on this roll, so feel free to just declare "nope, you couldn't smell anything other than the sharp tang of burned coal" or whatevder the engine's exhaust happens to be.

• 3 weeks later...

Good call.

The two Sihk men, Drumbridge (the engineer/businessman), and Ramstein (the German Aristocrat/Sportsman) have been pretty much throughout the train, including the Brit-Machine.

Willowbreak has not, however, staying in the first class quarters. He has left the train, but not entered the carriages with the Brit Machine in, or the murder carriage.

NB: Sorry for being away, internet was failing.

I wont post these findings, so all feel free to post away.

Okay, I caught Willowbreak's scent on the outer surface of the train. Coolness. Was the corpse's scent mixed in with it? (as in, if Willowbreak did the deed, his hands might have carried some of his victim's scent, and maybe he could have left that on the outer surface with his own scent)?

Also, *is* there sufficient clearance below the train for Jube to fit down there?

Posted:

Firstly Fenris indeed has no local money, although it would be easy enough to get some from Ms. Wells, or if he is feeling very persuasive, put it on credit!

Secondly, Carrie is searching the first class cabins themselves I guess? If so, search check.

Jubatus is all good for the moment, not posting in reply to that at the moment.