Settling In (IC)

Griffalo

"Sure," Erin said, not seeming bothered by the paradox. "People make a superteam because they want to be part of something bigger than all of them. That's why it doesn't matter that nobody really knows who you are when you save the world or do whatever. The team doesn't depend on who's in it, so long as they believe in the same things and stand up for the same stuff as the people who started the team. And most of the people who make up the team, even if they graduate, will still be part of it, even after they go do other things. If the team you build isn't durable enough to last beyond the founding members, that's kind of too bad."

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Warren nodded. "Some things change dramatically to the point that it's different, other times its the same but with smaller differences. Circumstances and such. Hell, look at the Freedom League now then compare it to back in the 70's." He said. as his mind shifted though the questions offered by Evander. "Biology dictates that I am the same person at the moment barring unexpected mutation of cells, being turned into goo or anything that can radically change me. The corporations question is pretty much the same as the supergroup answer provided by Erin." He said with a nod in her direction and a small smile. "And guns 'n Roses technically doesn't exist anymore and is replaced with Axle and friends who play under the GNR name and spend years making just one low quality album." He looked especially bitter with the reply to that last answer. He took a deep breath and tried to calm down.

He chuckles. "Sorry if I touched a nerve, man. For what it's worth I didn't like their new album either."

He then turns back to Wander. "I guess you're right, the mark of a good team is its ability to keep going even after the founding members are gone. That'd be a pretty impressive achievement though, wouldn't it? Be recognised as the founding member of a well-known team that lasts for a long time."

"So, uh... how do your parents feel about you having powers? Are they cool with you coming to Claremont?"

Erin's expression closed up a little, becoming more distant. "They've been gone a few years," she told Evander coolly. "Since before I got my powers, so it's not really an issue. I was a ward of the state and of the school till I turned eighteen in November. What about you?" she asked, turning the question around. "It sounds like your folks sent you to Claremont to try and get you out of trouble. They might not want you taking up all the superhero training."

Mercury might have been no good at talking to girls, but he could at least sense when he'd broached a sensitive topic. "Uh, sorry about your parents."

"Well, it was my dad that wanted me to come here. Initially I was going to learn from him, but..." He shrugged. "He said I obviously needed 'more remedial training' than he could give me."

"My mom didn't want me to leave home so soon, but she appreciates I can't really learn by myself and there's nowhere like this even near to where I live. I think Dad would want me to be a hero, my mom... I'm not so sure about. She wants me to do well, but she worries a lot. I guess most mom's would."

He looked over at Rift. "What about your mom and dad?"

"Right now, my parents don't mind too much what I do. So long as I don't get killed in the process of course. Did take a bit of convincing to let me come to Claremont in the first place." Rift said as he tugged and adjusted the straps of his guitar strap. Chaffing was not something a man should endure for too long. "Then again, they are still preoccupied with their own troubles. Hopefully some of the cash from the album the band released will help and let them relax a bit more." The though of still seeing his mother tired all the time was something that brought Warren down when he thought about it.

Mercury nodded with a smile.

"Well, I guess making our parents proud of us wouldn't be the worst thing ever, whether they're still with us or not." He nodded to Wander. "I don't think I actually asked, but what's your talent? I hope you don't mind me saying, but it looks like you can handle yourself in a fight." He grins. "Think you could show me some moves some time?"

Either way I can't lose, he thought. Either I learn something useful, or I get some really impressive looking bruises that I can say I got kicking some villain's ass.

"Mostly my talent is fighting," Erin told him with a half-shrug. "Extra speed, strength, stamina, things like that. When I take a hit, I heal up really fast, and when I hit something, it pretty much stays down. I wouldn't mind doing a training round with you sometime, but unless you've got powers that are like that, besides the transformation stuff, I don't know if my style would do a lot for you." There was no false modesty or pride in her voice, just simple truth.

"Well, my speciality is mainly slinging fire. If I'm honest, I barely know how to make a proper first. Any pointers at all would be helpful, really."

He stands away from the door, his legs slightly apart. Obviously he intended to demonstrate what he already know.

"I mean, I've been taught to stand like this..." His feet were about a shoulder's width apart, and his hands were balled up into fists, raised to the level roughly in the middle of his chest. "And then pretty much just punch. That's all I really know." He smiled sheepishly.

"I guess that healing quick is going to mean you'd learn this stuff quicker though, right? I haven't even attempted healing magic, I think it's quite complex. Really different from assuming another identity, I mean."

Erin stared at him for a moment, looking, despite her best efforts, slightly appalled. "That's... a start," she finally said. "We'll work on the stance." She moved in to stand in front of him, then began physically turning and pulling his arms and shoulders into the proper position. "You're obviously a righty, so right side goes forward, turn your body to present a smaller target and present your strong side. Bend your knees," she told him, giving him a light kick in the back of the shin with her toes to reinforce the command. "Get your weight over the balls of your feet, distributed evenly."

Moving around to the side, she turned his head to bring it in line with the new direction his body was facing, then dragged his arm up so his fist was just below his eye level. "Fist up to protect your head, elbows in close. Shoulders back, spine straight, head up. You always look at your opponent, and never lean in towards them!" When she was satisfied, she nodded and took a step back. "Better," she decided. "You'll want to practice that stance awhile before you start trying to actually use it. It should be like breathing."

Mercury's breath caught in his throat as Wander started to correct his stance. So confident, she put a hand on me just like that, he thought. Wish I could say the same if the situations had been reversed.

He kept his eyes on her as much as possible, regardless of whether she'd noticed. Just paying attention, he told himself. He barely even consciously noticed her light taps and kicks to correct his posture, though of course his body reacted.

"So, uh... just practice this in front of the mirror? Then I'll be ready to learn how to fight?" He looked back briefly at Rift, momentarily having forgotten he was there.

"Is this how you learned?"

Warren shook his head. "Nah man. I don't even do very well in hand to hand." He said while he was leaning against a wall with his guitar unslung. "Most of mine come from trial by fire like I mentioned before or secluded testing along with whatever tech I can throw together to experiment with high level frequencies. Most of that tech has been thrown into this guitar here. You can be surprised how, with the right frequency and decibel count, can lead to the complete deconstruction of some materials at an atomic level via sound vibration and projection... I haven't touched that side of things too much, along with mind manipulation via sound waves. I haven't hit the mad scientist area of research and I plan to keep it that way."

"I didn't," Erin told Evander, "but this is definitely the easy way to learn. I highly recommend it. Go ahead and relax," she added, returning to her chair. "You need to practice getting comfortable in that position, but you also need to improve your physical condition if you want to be getting into fistfights. Just because you can throw fire and turn stuff into metal doesn't mean you're not in trouble if your arms are too weak to let you block a punch."

He settled into the fighting stance. He could already feel his shoulders starting to ache from holding the position, but he persevered nonetheless.

"Improving my physical condition? So, you mean like... weight training maybe? Because I already do a bit of running." He bounced a little on the balls of his feet, imagining himself in the middle of a boxing ring.

"They've got a decent gym here, right? Maybe I should start working out, get muscled up." He grins. "Get a body like Centurion, maybe more people take me seriously."

"You're not going to have a body like the Centurion's, Erin told him, sizing him up and dismissing that possibility with a glance, "but cardio and weight training will do good things for any hero. You'll have gym class, obviously, but you have to put in dedicated training if you want to be good. I do thirty or forty hours a week outside of classes these days, just to maintain. If you want, I'll work with you at the gym sometime, give you some pointers. Mr. Archer, the gym teacher, he's the biggest jerk on the faculty. I'd steer clear as much as you can."

He drops his stance, raising an eyebrow at Wander.

"Wow, you'd do that? That'd be... pretty awesome, yeah." He smiled. "Gym teachers have never liked me much, I've never been great at sports."

He looked at his watch. "I'd probably better go, I think it's getting nearly time for lights out. Don't want to get caught in a girl's room." He kept up the smile, but a note of panic emerged in his thoughts. Okay, now we've got a 'Girl-seeing-you-in-gym-shorts' scenario. Better stock up on some bronzer for those milk-bottle legs...

He looked over at Rift with a raised eyebrow. "You comin'?"

"If its nearly lights out, I better." Warren said as he pushed himself off the wall and re-slung his guitar over his back. He gave Erin the same half salute/half wave as he did before. "I'll catch you tomorrow...hopefully. I don't think I have to worry about the internship then." He said as he started to follow Evander. "So, where's your room anyway man?"

"Sure we'll set you up," Erin told Evander. "You don't have to be great at sports to at least get used to running and lifting and jumping. After you learn all that stuff, you'll probably be better at sports, though. Later, guys," Erin added with a half-wave, returning to her work as she saw them out. She always had more than enough homework to keep her busy, even now in the last semester of senior year.

He gave Erin a wave as he headed back to his floor, then turned to Rift.

"Uh... down the hall. I think I'm on my own at the moment, the other end of the room doesn't really look occupied." He strolls a little further, hands in pockets.

"How about you, you got a room-mate? Like, do you end up getting your own room when you get older, or...?"

"I have a room mate. May have heard of him if you pay attention to stories about Kid Cthulhu...Though he's gone with traditional magic and sorcery since losing his more Lovecraftian powers. Still nice for a guy that could once upon a time break your brain if he tried." He replied with a sly smile as he hovered next to to him. "I've been told that most senors get their own room after a while along with juniors that start out. Though sometimes things might get arranged differently."

He nods. "Well, maybe they figure I need watching over or something." He laughs, a thought occurring to him. "Or... wow, maybe they think I'd be a good role model for an even newer kid! That's a frightening thought!"

He stops next to a door down the hall. "Well, this is me. I'd ask you to come in, but I've barely even unpacked, so it's kind of a case of 'seen one room, seen 'em all." He offers his hand to shake. "It's been a pleasure meeting you, man. Thanks a lot for showing me around tonight."

"The school staff and Administration are indeed strange, their methods inscrutable and their ways continue to be a mystery." He said, trying his best to keep his face as blank as possible...Though eventually that failed and he started laughing. "Just joking man. I don't think Summers would do that...I think anyway. Guy is actually that mysterious."

Warren nodded and shook his hand. "Eh, I understand man. If you have any problems, just find the room that has someone playing guitar like a maniac." He said as he slowly started floating backwards. "Welcome to Claremont."