Settling In (IC)

Griffalo

Evander Levinson set the last cardboard box on the bed that would be his during his stay at Claremont. It'd been a long day; inductions, paperwork, orientation, guided tours... he was a fast learner, but his head was spinning. Maybe by tomorrow some of it might've settled in his head.

His clothes had been distributed amongst the shelving and rails of his closet, a handful of books on the shelf above the bare desk. Everything looked so spartan, so unlived in. He sat down on the bed, suddenly at a loss. No home comforts, he didn't know anyone... not much to do until classes the next day. He'd taken the time to unpack at least one memento from home - a small silver frame containing a picture of his mother and him together. That went on his bedside table, next to the regulation issue angle lamp.

As he reached down to undo his shoelaces, he noticed a cat observing him from about five feet away. It seemed more like a kitten, in fact, only half-grown. The collar he was wearing suggested he had an owner, at least. Not a stray, then. Belonged to one of the students maybe, or the staff?

The weird thing was, he noticed, was that the door to the room was definitely closed.

He stretched a hand out, cautiously.

"Hey, cat."

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Noticing the regard, the cat gave Evander a level look, seeming to take the young man's measure in a way that seemed somehow more cognizant than the typical feline. He then hopped up onto the bed next to the student as though he owned the place. With a yawn that showed plenty of sharp white teeth, the cat stretched luxuriantly and made himself comfy on the standard-issue bedding. He butted Evander's hand imperiously, as though to ask why it was taking so long for the petting to commence.

He laughed. At least he'd made one friend, even as one as fickle as a cat. He was okay with fickle. After all, it was a synonym for mercurial, and that was definitely something he knew.

"Okay, okay." He began to stroke the cat down the back of his head, a repetitive and calming motion. "And who are you, huh? Who d'you belong to?" With his free hand, he reached for the small copper tag that hung from the kitten's collar.

The cat purred, stretching again, then settling into a comfortable meatloaf-shape with his tail wrapped around his back feet and his front legs tucked under him. Petting the cat made Evander feel oddly comforted, a strange sense of relaxation despite the long day and unfamiliar surroundings. The copper collar tag identified the cat as "Oliver," and listed a phone number, with the address of the school embossed on the back.

It was almost trancelike as he continued to pet the cat. Oliver, like the cat in the movie.

"Hey Oliver." He sighed. "You come to see what the new guy looks like, huh? Well... here I am. Not much to look at."

He had to admit, he did feel strangely at peace now. Maybe this really was the best place for him. He looked down again at the cat.

"So who belongs to you, Oliver? Can't imagine they'd let a little cutie like you wander far..."

Oliver purred louder, boofing Evander's hand with his head appreciatively, then got up from the bed and hopped down. He went to the door and waited, looking over his shoulder and obviously expecting the human to come over and make himself useful. It was possible that Oliver had been somewhere in the room when Evander had entered, and now needed assistance to get out. It certainly made more sense than most other explanations for the locked-door cat mystery.

The orange cat sauntered out the door casually, stepping into the hallway as though he were the owner of the building. Pretty much like a typical cat, really. He headed down the hall and up the stairs another flight, casting the occasional look over his shoulder to make sure Evander was following. Evidently Oliver was a regular around here, for although a few students acknowledged his passing, no one seemed surprised to see the cat.

On the third floor, Oliver headed across the floor to the other wing of the building, where the girls' dorm rooms were. Evander knew from the intro packet he'd been given that students weren't allowed in the opposite sex dormitory wings, but that restriction didn't seem to bother the cat, who sailed through the open door and headed down the hallway.

The orange cat sauntered out the door casually, stepping into the hallway as though he were the owner of the building. Pretty much like a typical cat, really. He headed down the hall and up the stairs another flight, casting the occasional look over his shoulder to make sure Evander was following. Evidently Oliver was a regular around here, for although a few students acknowledged his passing, no one seemed surprised to see the cat.

Evander shrugged. He'd little else better to do other than unpacking, and that could be saved for another day. Gamely, he followed Oliver through the hallways. He gave shy smiles to those few students he passed, feeling very much like he was the unfamiliar human guest of this experienced orange feline.

"Hey. Hello. Hi." Short waves of greeting as he walked. The other students seemed friendly enough, returning those smiles and waves. Okay, so it wasn't going to be like his high school comedy fears. No hulking bullies stuffing him into lockers or down toilets... yet.

On the third floor, Oliver headed across the floor to the other wing of the building, where the girls' dorm rooms were. Evander knew from the intro packet he'd been given that students weren't allowed in the opposite sex dormitory wings, but that restriction didn't seem to bother the cat, who sailed through the open door and headed down the hallway.

He paused with fear just outside the stairwell, frozen like a rabbit in the headlights as Oliver sauntered down the hall.

"Hey... wait! You..." He hissed urgently at the animal. "I'm not allowed down there!" Naturally, Oliver paid no mind.

Evander sighed heavily. "Oooh... I'm gonna get expelled on my first night..." And a moment later, he's crouching down in what he thought looked like a good approximation of a stealthy run, following his tour guide.

As Evander was getting ready for a stealth run towards the girls dorms, the wind seemed to carry a strange sound. It was only a second later that Rift suddenly appeared in a burst of sound that could best be described as someone strumming a guitar, though the sound itself seemed muffled somehow. "Well, that was one hell of an uneventful evening." The Guitar Genius muttered as he slung his guitar over his back. You would think some common thugs would be better at fighting in a city overrun with Superheros.

He looked around for a moment, trying to get his bearings. With a sigh, he moved to the closet window with a quick click of his fingers and popped it open that lead into a corridor. OK, this looks different...Ah damn, wrong floor. He turned and started heading down stairs when he spotted Mercury trying to hide. "Uh...Dude. Whats with the hiding act?" Rift asked as he hovered in the air. He studied the kid for a few seconds, his brain in overdrive trying to remember who he is. "You new here or something?"

Evander instinctively threw himself to the ground as Rift appeared. "S%$t!" He looked up and down the hallway, scared that someone might have heard that, Oliver momentarily forgotten.

"Dude, you scared me! I'm not up to anything," He said defensively. He looked in the direction that the cat had disappeared. "There was this cat and... I... followed it." He finished lamely, realising what he was saying sounded just what a perv looking to spy on girls would say when he was caught.

"Anyway..." He stood up, whispering. "Yeah, I'm new. First day, and about to get kicked out for being a Peeping Tom."

Oliver sauntered over as Rift appeared, coiling for a moment around the other student's legs companionably before returning his attention to Evander. Looking mildly disgusted at the new guy laying on the floor, he gave Evander a headbutt in the shoulder to encourage him back to his feet, then headed down the corridor once more. Surprisingly, no one appeared to have heard the quiet commotion in the hallway yet.

Evander waved at the cat. Despite it's haughty attitude, at least Oliver was kind of backing him up now.

"See? I think this guy wants me to follow him. Want to come with, see what he wants?" He looked up and down the corridor again.

"At least let's get out of here before we get caught."

"Oh, you ran into Oliver." Rift said, not sounding particularly surprised now. "He always seems to show up when new students appear. Dunno why." He explained as he adjusted his mask a little. He signed a little at the guys panic. He did wonder if he was this flighty when he first showed up here. "Dude, relax. Its not official "lights out" time...At least not just yet. Besides, you need to do more than that to get kicked out." He explained to the nervous demi-god. He looked down at Oliver. "Him to Erin I'm guessing?" He asked with a raised eyebrow. He pretty much accepted oliver might be smarter than the average cat. He did wonder if he could understand English though. Would be fascinating to find out.

"Erin? That's the girl that owns him?" He continues following the cat, not waiting to see if Rift was following. He too had seemed to accept without question that Oliver was a sentient and intelligent being with a purpose, rather than an animal on the hunt, wandering aimlessly. He seemed much calmer now that he knew he wasn't breaking the rules. He walked confidently, his voice still quiet, though no longer whispering.

"Do you think she'll mind if we go visit her?" He looked back at Rift. "Oh, I'm Evander by the way. But people call me Mercury."

"Pretty much." Rift replied as he floated after near Evander. Might as well make the new guy welcome after all. Besides, he hadn't talked to her in a while. "I don't think she will mind that much. She's usually fine with people. So long as you are not rampaging through the city. Then things go south pretty quick." Rift explained, though by the sound of it he was joking.

"Nice meeting you man. I'm Rift. Real name Warren Wilder. Or just Warren since saying the whole thing is a mouthful." He said with a smile.

Evander looked impressed. "You mean you guys regularly go out fighting bad guys and the like? You're actually allowed to do that?"

He smiled. "Best keep on my best behaviour when I'm around her, I suppose." He smiled, playing along with the joke. He then frowned slightly.

"Do I... know you from somewhere? You seem really familiar." He shrugged. "Don't want to offend you or anything... you're kind of the first person I've talked to here, besides Mister Summers." He walked with him, following Oliver.

"I dunno, maybe we'll have a class together or something. I haven't checked my schedule yet."

Oliver stopped near the end of the hallway, in front of a plain wooden door with a whiteboard tacked to it, much like most of the rooms in the hall. There were no messages on this one, though it bore signs of long use, and the door was otherwise entirely unremarkable. The cat sat down just to one side of the door and wrapped his tail around his legs, waiting patiently for the boys to catch up and take some action.

Evander reached the door indicated by Oliver, and set about examining the whiteboard. His fingers reached out to brush the surface, as if he might see past messages there. Who knew, perhaps he could.

He muttered, either to them both or neither of them.

"So this is what you wanted me to see?"

He then looked over at Rift.

"Guess there's only one thing left to do." And with his eyes still on the other boy, he knocked several times against the door.

"Just relax man." Rift said just as he looked down at Oliver. OK, maybe you don't understand English...Or I'm not important enough for you, you highness. He thought. He shook his head and unslung his guitar.

"Worse that could happen is she's not in the mood to talk to anyone." He said, adjusting and tuning his guitar.

"Come in," called a somewhat distracted voice from inside the room. The door swung open to reveal an older teenage girl, probably a senior, with auburn hair and faded-looking jeans and t-shirt for the local baseball team. She was sitting at her desk and concentrating on whatever she was doing on the computer, and had obviously reached out an arm to open the door without really paying attention.

After a moment, she turned to look and her focus suddenly sharpened. "Who are you?" she asked, her brow furrowing. Oliver stepped into the doorway and rubbed up against Evander's leg. Erin sighed. "Oh great, you really did bring one home this time, didn't you?" she asked the cat.

"Uh..." He was momentarily lost for words. Okay, cute girl in front of you. Take your foot out of your mouth, genius.

"My name's Evander, but people call me Mercury. I'm kind of new here. It's my first day here, in fact." He tried a smile, then gestured at Oliver. "I think maybe your cat wanted me to find you." A nervous scratch at the back of his head. "Does he do that a lot?"

He had to take his eyes off the girl so he could compose himself. He moved so she could see Rift.

"Anyway, I just wanted to say hello. I can go, if you're busy..." He pointed down the corridor, a questioning look on his face.

"No, it's okay, just trying to get my homework done." She shoved aside the little netbook and stretched, revealing very well-defined arm muscles, then finally gave Evander a friendly-enough smile. "My name's Erin. I see you already met my cat. Oliver likes meeting new people, and then he likes me to meet them too. You living downstairs?" she asked. She noticed Rift beyond the doorway and gave him a half-wave. "Hey Warren, Oliver pick you up too?"

He nods cheerfully. "That's right, yeah. Boy's floor... obviously." Real smooth.

"I think I have a roommate, but I can't tell what he's like from his stuff. But most of the people here seem really friendly." He couldn't help noticing her arms, the sinewy grace of her body as she stretched. Watch your step with this one, Evander. One false move and you could be wearing yourself as a hat.

He steps aside to reveal Rift. "Oh, yeah. Kinda. I met this guy in the hall."

"Hey" He replied with something that looked like some sort of cross between a wave and a salute. "Yeah. Took the wrong window getting in, found him worried he was going to get kicked out if he dared set foot on female section of the dorms while following Oliver here." Warren said with some Faux drama added. "But yeah, sorta got dragged along for the ride." He finished, slinging his guitar over his shoulder with a quick click from his fingers.