Meteor - Punching!

Supercape

Righty ho chaps!

I would like to run a meteor-punching thread!

The idea isn't fully formed at present, but it will basically involve a large meteor/asteroid hurtling towards earth and the heroes have to stop it. It won't actually hit, of course... (unless people want a few tiny fragments to cause a few local problems)... we don't want any earth-shattering (literally) changes to the world! although it will be portrayed as a doomsday scenario.

Think Deep Impact or Armageddon... the "avert the meteor" bits, not the "disasters and tsunamis" parts. There are plenty other references of course.

This will not be a combat thread, but it will be hazardous. It will be in space, for one, dealing with explosives, nuclear fuels, drills, or any other stuff we need. With razor sharp rocks, low gravity, and various other threats like throwing in explosive minerals on the meteor, etc. And worse, we have to keep the civvies that come along as "experts" safe!

Also, it will start with a fair bit of expo in discovering the rock, and making plans to stop it.

EDIT: As its non combat (but hazardous as above) can accomodate more than "normal" heroes, but would like to cap it around 6.

This thread is primarily open to science heroes (Dok A has already expressed an interest and is a logical person to save the planet!) Lab members would be a good choice too.

Space-worthy heroes would also be helpful / appropriate.

Sign up for interest and suggestions. My only comment so far is that I don't want any "My power can stop the meteor" solutions. It has to be reasonably "gritty" in that a) the threat is real serious and B) we have to think up a solution outside of the (normal) parameters of our powers, one that will involve an adventure.

EDIT: As its non combat I can manage more than "normal" heroes in this, but would like to cap it around 6 or 7. And Supercape is the first!

Sounds good. I'll wait for any more interest but Blueshift sounds suitably scientific.

Just to clarify this is not open just for science-heroes, if you can come up with a good hook how to help, its good. And space suits and space craft will be available as PLOT devices (or bring your own!)

Hmm. Push is a master of kinetics, but he`s nowhere near powerful enough to slow the whole meteor down. Yet. He could work with the small stuff, deflecting bits and pieces or establishing the largest kinetic barrier he`s ever done.

Plus, he knows Supercape, and he`s been in space before, so the caped wonder might call him up as muscle for the operation. Count me in if you don`t get enuff people.

Perhaps Archeville, or some circumstance may arise that would convince Blueshift/Rachel to consider a "Career in Science"? (Can't find the venture brothers episode on youtube :( )

Do you want me to play as Rachel or as Blueshift? Rachel makes no secret of the fact that she's a great inventor, which still fits the bill for the "behind the scenes team" that works to try and SCIENCE! a solution rather than punching one.

Whatever you fancy, quote.

Its going to start with discovering the asteroid, and I'm open to volunteers for this, although Supercape would certainly be a candidate with his Radar ESP. People then need a hook in. I was loosely planning 3 phases:

1: Discovery, discussion, planning (and getting 'in on the action')

2. Travelling and Landing (this might be short)

3. On the asteroid.

Of course, all of that depends on how things play out!

Sounds good Quote.

Will set this up immenently: I am not entirely sure if it goes in "Skies above Freedom" or "The Lands Beyond". The latter is slightly more technically accurate, but I like the poetry of the first!

Also up for any suggestions on thread titles. Otherwise I will use something cheesy like "Starhammer!"

Just for record, I'll throw in saying:

1) I'm cool with whatever name

2) Skies Over Freedom would be perfect

3) Victory's reasoning would be quite easy, what with the whole "government would probably notice a meteor on the way and would send a flying strongman out to help deal with it" thing

4) It should be amusing to see how Victory and Push react to seeing each other again.