Charge of the Trenchcoat Brigade

trollthumper

Hey, all. I've been thinking of getting another "out-of-town" thread running, this one aimed towards occult investigators/researchers/generally clued-in types. Taking cues from general Trenchcoat Brigade fiction (Hellblazer, Felix Castor, yes, even Harry Dresden), the characters are contacted over a shared occult resource (a message board for practitioners, the Astral Plane, etc.) and called down to a small town out-of-state. An occult-themed crime has taken place (depending on tone, it could be anywhere from the desecration of a church to a brutal murder), and the police are on watch. Sadly, they've tapped one of those "occult experts" who think Goths are suspicious, D&D has instructions to contact the Satanic masters, and voodoo is exactly how it's portrayed in the movie (i.e., EEEEEEVIL). So now the heroes have to defuse the suspicions against the local occult/subculture community while figuring out what the heck is really going on.

The focus of most of the thread will be on investigation and subtlety. This is a small town where the occult isn't common knowledge and is usually looked at with distrust, so if, for instance, Nick Cimitiere shows up in skull makeup and uses a power that allows him to commune with the voice of dead ages, there's going to be a panic. Any takers?

Well, Colt "ain't from 'round these parts," and he does have a bad-ass coat. However, I doubt that the Occult stuff would be targeted at him, or vice versa. Though, he does have some decent investigative skills. Let me know if you are pressed for people and need more support. Otherwise, put him on the back burner for this one.

I'll again toss out Gabriel as a "backup" of sorts. While he's obviously not as "suspicious" as some of the others, and his powers aren't directly magical, he would do quite well at Gather Information and other People Skills.

Potential hook might be if it was, in fact, a church desecration, especially a Catholic church.

Though, he does have all those Celtic knots and crosses on his coat. Maybe that's shifty to these folks? And if he's rolling with that skull-faced guy, he must be trouble, too. ;)

Hmm... I'll probably be bringing Nick along for the ride, and as quote said, Colt might not have the right line up on this one. It would be good to have a theologian along, though, so Gabriel can come. That gives us a lineup of

Nick Cimitiere

Equinox

Push

Arcturus

Gabriel

I'll get the thread up and running relatively soon.