Life's Sweetest Reward (IC, Closed)

Heritage

The Fens. November 28th, 2010. 10:16 pm

On a rooftop a stone's throw from Broadway, Grimalkin was casually flicking a yoyo up and down and loudly snapping her gum, the very image of professionalism. This was the third night she'd been out with Wesley, and it was getting harder and harder to justify her time with him to her fiancé and teammate Colt; not that he was the suspicious type by nature, but even Grim had to agree this was pushing it a bit.

She sighed as she leaned back against a crumbling brick chimney. "I dunno, maybe this was a stupid idea in the first place; I know it would be hard to find me on patrol if I didn't want to be seen." She tilted her head back and peered up at large yellow sign she'd conjured up on the side of the adjacent building, illuminated by several electric lanterns she picked up at the hardware store. "Do you think I should make it bigger?" It was currently fifty feet wide and twenty feet tall, and stated in large black block letters,

SILHOUTTE, CAN WE TALK?

SIGNED, KNIGHT

A large arrow pointed down to the very rooftop they currently occupied; yep, Grim was officially done with the subtle approach.

It was just like old times. Well, less personal old times. Knight and Grimalkin on another whirlwind adventure, he joked. Though Wesley was beginning to think Lynn was right. Maybe it was like tracking a shadow. Not even that! He had his life sense on and didn't feel any living shadows. When the lighted message was put up he chuckled. "You know, subtly is sometimes for the birds. I'm sure every one in The Fens saw that."

"You know, subtly is sometimes for the birds. I'm sure every one in The Fens saw that."

Grim snorted loudly. "I sure hope so! Those big batteries ain't cheap."

She chucked the yo-yo off the roof, and watched as it faded into vapour as it fell. Then she fixed her ex-boyfriend with an inquisitive look.

"So tell me about Robin; how come things didn't work out, do ya think?"

Wesley sighed as he remembered the times he and Robin had. He looked down like a scolded puppy, "Well, let's just say, I thought it was more personal than it was." He paused for a moment and then looked back to Lynn, "The key moment was probably the last. I... I asked if we could move in together. I think I spoke too quickly though. It scared her off. So yeah. That's the short of it." He paused again, thinking back earlier, "Remember when we decided to call it quits? I had my work to console me. Heck it's what kept me from cracking like I did with Robin." He coughed, "I'm sorry about that. I never thought We'd grow apart like that. But then, things happen. Sliding doors, you know? I'm happy you're happy with the path you have taken."

"Well, let's just say, I thought it was more personal than it was."

"The key moment was probably the last. I... I asked if we could move in together. I think I spoke two quickly though. It scared her off. So yeah. That's the short of it."

The tiny shapeshifter winced in sympathy; there was nothing more painful that finding out your feelings aren't reciprocated that way.

"Remember when we decided to call it quits? I had my work to console me. Heck it's what kept me from cracking like I did with Robin."

"I'm sorry about that. I never thought We'd grow apart like that. But then, things happen. Sliding doors, you know? I'm happy you're happy with the path you have taken."

Now it was Grim's turn to clear her throat.

"Uh, y'know what, forget about it; ancient history, right? I know it's a cliche and all, but I was a different person then, and now..." She took a deep breath and let it out slowly. "Look, I'm glad we were together, even if we couldn't make it work out in the long run. For the record, I don't regret it at all; I am sorry that you had to carry the weight of that whole...pig thing on your shoulders by yourself."

The lovely brunette got quiet as she picked at the mortar between the bricks with a talon. "You should have said something..."

Each one of the last five words hit Wesley like a brick. He knew what she was talking about. "Yeah," he said quietly, "I should have." He sat on the edge of the roof where she was picking mortar and brick. "I never meant to hurt you physically or mentally. If I could go back and kept you safe without killing something I would do it in a split second. There's a lot of things that would go differently if I could." He swallowed his emotion deeply and then cleared it out of his throat. "Lynn, if there's anything you want me to do or say, just name it. Anything to put the beast back in it's cage."

"I never meant to hurt you physically or mentally. If I could go back and kept you safe without killing something I would do it in a split second. There's a lot of things that would go differently if I could."

"Lynn, if there's anything you want me to do or say, just name it. Anything to put the beast back in it's cage."

Lynn turned her head and vigorously waved her hands, angry at herself for choosing this of all times to pick at old wounds.

"Look, forget it; ancient history, like I said. There were things I should have done, too, so it's not all on you."

She sighed and rubbed her face.

"Just promise me you won't keep stuff like that from your next girlfriend, whoever she turns out to be; that kinda secret turns toxic real fast, and you only end up hurting the people you meant to protect."

She gave him her most encouraging smile.

"Do that for me, okay?"

Wesley nodded as Lynn made him promise. He breathed sigh of relief as she smiled. "I promise to be more open with everyone." He smiled himself. Her enthusiasm was contagious in itself. Colt must have been the happiest person in the world. And he was glad for her and him both. Glad that she had found someone. Glad that he only had to relive the dreaded moments in his nightmares. Not so glad that he had the nightmares though. But hey, compromise!He stood back up. "You know, she might not be in The Fens anymore."

"No, I'm definitely still in the Fens."

And there was Silhouette. She was garbed in her usual black hunched over with her hands on her knees breathing hard, why, because while Grim and Knight were talking she was running. The instant that thing lit up in fact she was running, she ran four city blocks, and six flights of stairs and now she could barely stand because of how very sore her legs were. Still taking a few breaths she managed a few steps before looking at Wesley, she didn't wait for a response she just reached up and smacked him on the back of his head,

"What the heck pocessed you to put this giant flashing kick me sign up?"

"No, I'm definitely still in the Fens."

Though admittedly startled by the elusive heroine's sudden appearance, Grim was also ecstatic to see her.

Oh my God, my plan worked! Yay!

"What the heck pocessed you to put this giant flashing kick me sign up?"

However the brunette shapeshifter was soon cringing apologetically as things got off on the wrong foot; she took a step forward to interpose herself between Wes and Sil.

"Hey, no, if you want to hit anyone, hit me; the stupid sign was my idea." She jerked a thumb over her shoulder and the offending advertisement poofed away. "See, bad sign's gone! No harm, no foul!" She held out a gloved hand, a strained smile on her face. "Hi, I'm Grimalkin; I'm very pleased to meet you!"

Yeah, Wes is gonna kill me now...

Wesley was glad to be interrupted by Silhouette. He smirked at Lynn when she asked about the 'kick me' sign.Though he thought it was a bit dramatic with the interposing bit. "Yeah, sorry about the late night rendezvous with flashing lights. We'd been trying to get you for the past few days. So, little miss pragmatic here suggested we do it nice and showy. She's fun like that."

There was a deep scowl etched onto Sil's face thatcouldn't be seen through her mask as she grabbed Grim's hand and gave it a quick squeeze,

"Nice to meet you, but there isn't much time so I'll go over this quickly. First off I'm not going to hit you until I've had the time to get my cast iron skillet to make sure the message sinks in."

Letting go of her hand she turned her head towards Wesley,

"Second off, nobody works the weekend after Thanksgiving except city officials and retail workers."

Turning around she glanced down below the street, and saw as several people and a couple of cars started to gather,

"And third off, that neon beacon pretty much nodified every drug dealer in the Fens where the person who has been knocking on there collective rumps is. So, we should probably get the heck off this roof top before someone torches this place."

"Nice to meet you, but there isn't much time so I'll go over this quickly. First off I'm not going to hit you until I've had the time to get my cast iron skillet to make sure the message sinks in."

The changeling's face darkened at the mention of her weakness to iron, and she quickly withdrew her hand.

How the hell does she know about that? That's the one thing I try really hard to keep a secret! Also not liking the implied threat; exactly what does Wes see in this girl?

"And third off, that neon beacon pretty much nodified every drug dealer in the Fens where the person who has been knocking on there collective rumps is. So, we should probably get the heck off this roof top before someone torches this place."

Okay, on this point, she had to agree with the new arrival; it had been one of her stupider ideas, even if it technically did work. Still deeply annoyed, Grim crossed her arms tightly across chest and scowled.

"Okay, fine; do you need a lift, Silhouette? Or I guess Knight can always grow you a set of wings, that's always a big hit with the ladies..."

"I am well aware, he turned into a dragon the first time we met, which I have to say is the second strangest thing I've had carry me across the city."

She answered the question with instinctive snark. She was too consumed with the worrisome sight down below to filter her thoughts,

"Yeah, I see some bottles and it looks like someone has broken out the lighters, so either they're making Blue Blazers or we need leave, right now. These old buildings are freaking powder kegs from the amount of dust they accumulate alone."

Wesley felt the tension between the two ladies. Maybe it was him that should have been between them! Warily he watched making sure it didn't break out into a full brawl. "Hey," he said calmly, "no need for animosity. Chill. Take a deep breath." He looked at the two. "Now, if you think this building is about to explode," he turned into a larger version of the red Chinese dragon Silhouette saw before, "Hop on. We'll talk about this in an unexploded place away from here."

"Now, if you think this building is about to explode," he turned into a larger version of the red Chinese dragon Silhouette saw before, "Hop on. We'll talk about this in an unexploded place away from here."

The tiny shapeshifter peered over the edge and grimaced with dismay.

"Mmm, yeah, that looks like arson in the making."

She held out a hand and a massive deluge of water poured down upon the gangbangers below, thoroughly soaking them and knocking many of them to the ground. Then she ran pell mell and leapt onto Wesley's scaly back, a manic grin on her face.

"Quick, take off before they start shooting! 'Fly, my pretty, fly!'"

It was a bit reassuring watching the problem being solved directly by Grim but she was in less of a mood to voice her thanks as she climbed onto Wesley's back and they took off. She did however stiffle a giggle at the somewhat quirky heroines Wizard of Oz reference but otherwise remained silent as they flew away from the scene. She'd seen the Fens a lot, but it was a lot harder to recognize from such a high vantage point. She did however recognize one particular roof and pointed it out as a safe place for landing. As they descended she waited until there were only a few off the ground before hopping onto the roof then taking a few steps to make sure her legs hadn't fallen asleep from the odd grip they had to maintain riding the back of a dragon.

Glancing over the edge she could see a couple of police cars pass which meant someone had the sense to tattle on the would be arsonists. That was a load off her mind certianly, and probably a clearing of her schedule for the next few hours at least since the mere presense of police cars would serve as a deterant for most criminals in the area for the rest of the night. Sitting on the roof edge looking out she turned towards her companions of unusual circumstance and let out a breath.

"Right then."

Standing up she looked up slightly to meet Wesley at eye level,

"Now, I have to say I'm not terribly used to this situation. In fact, this is probably the first time that anybody has dilberately sought me out. So, you have my attention, what is it you two would like to talk to me about?"

Wesley morphed back into his regular form when the girls got off him. Silhouette was straight to the point. Wesley smiled and scratched the back of his head when she did so. "Well, ever since I worked with you I was wondering how you worked and if you needed help. I know I gave you my phone number if you ever needed help, but," he put crossed his arms across his chest and looked down to her, "I was wondering if you were OK. If something had happened to you. If not, were you were doing well?" He paused with a sigh, "I'm sorry, I got worried about you."

She raised an eyebrow, again not visible through her mask but it did say something about the fact that wasn't she was expecting at all.

"Well umm,"

She needed a moment,

"Thank you, for worrying I mean."

Reaching up she started to scratch her face a little absently and could feel through her gloves and cloth the increased bloodflow.

Thank god I'm wearing a mask.

"I didn't really think about calling you because things haven't been, well that bad around here. After what happened at the end of October, the drug market sort of dropped off because of the amount of resources the influx had cost them and it took them several weeks to get back into the steady distribution rhythem."

That and several of them were scared off by the zombies.

Wesley smirked, "Yeah, the zombie explosion probably didn't help either." Not that he wished ill on living people. Wesley just did not care for all the dead people or undead... things the dealers made. "So, you're doing fine," he asked rhetorically with a smile, "That's good." A ecstatic moment of silence passed as he looked around. Mainly it was to clear the blush off of his face. It would be good to have a mask at moments like these, he thought. He looked back to her, "So, would you mind some company on your patrol tonight?"

"There really isn't anywhere left to patrol, as I said, things have been slow. Not to mention, because the influx drug market was a huge contributer to the events of October several heroes have made it a priority to increase patrols in the area to make sure nothing like that ever happens again."

She had seen several in the area taking out dealers more frequently. Not that she approached them, most heroes who did patrols already had a good grip that they didn't really need much help with standard street level thugs.

"Plus, someone called the cops on the arsonists. Even if Grim put out the flame, the simple fact that so many criminals were gathered in one area will probably have the cops in the Fens for the rest of the night."

Grim had been quiet as the two got to talking, even going so far as to fade herself out a bit, to help create the illusion that they were alone on the rooftop. She was sensing a little chemistry here, but nothing had truly lit a spark. Clearing her throat and becoming fully visible, she finally spoke up.

"You know what, maybe it might be better if you treated this night as sort of a dry run, y'know? I mean, the holidays are coming, which means a lot of shoppers are out there with bluging wallets and credit cards. We may well see a spike in street crime, especially around here where the Fens and the Theater District meet."

She spread her arms in a common sense gesture.

"I can tell you from experience, Sil, it helps to have someone to watch your back in the Fens, especially a guy like Knight here."

She playfully slapped Wes on the shoulder.

"Dude is tough, sneaky and very creative with his powers. Plus, if you get hurt, not only can he fly you to the hospital, but he can actually heal you better than any doctor can, on the spot. It's like having an ICU watching your back!"

Lynn gave her ex-boyfriend a little wink out of the corner of her eye.

It was true that she had nearly forgotten Grim was there, and she brought up some interesting points, but she had to say,

"Why does it feel like I'm being sold a used car rather then being offered assistance?"

Shrugging her shoulder she let out a breath,

"Though you have a point, I was thinking of sweeping through West End and Greenbank tommorrow night. Though my usual ride isn't here so it'd be a lot more convinent to go with Wesley than taking the bus."

She really didn't want to have to take the bus in costume.

Wesley tried to hide the nervous with a smile as his ex-girlfriend went into sell mode. "Thanks," he whispered in Lynn's ear. He totally appreciated the help, though he wasn't sure if the sales act was appropriate. Still it did bring a more genuine smile to his face when Silhouette uttered his sentiments. When she heard her accept, he nodded, "Alright," he said committing tomorrow night to no plans, "I can do that." A small pause later, "About what time and where should we meet?"

"Seven's fine, here's fine as well, there are no residents living in the top three floors of this building so no one would care if a dragon lands here. Well maybe the fire material might if you start breathing fire, though I have to say, scaley lizard or not it looks like a rather painful experience."

Stretching a bit she glanced down the side of the building at the fire escape,

"So, I guess I'll see you there."

She jumped down the alley side dropping about two stories before catching the side rail and sliding swinging down onto the fire escape right outside her appartment window. It was one of her more dramatic exits, but disappearing down the side of a building meant it'd be harder for them to figure out exactly where she went. After all, she didn't know either one of them well enough to let on that this was where she lived.