We All Need Someone We Can Lean On (IC, Closed)

Heritage

Knight's Ink Tattoo and Body Art Studio. Friday, November 12th, 2010. 1:35 pm.

A slightly-built young brunette came in off the street and gazed at the thousands of sample designs up on the walls of the gallery, in a million different colors. She wore a Freedom College hoodie, tight jeans and a well-worn pair of leather hiking shoes.

"Whoa."

Behind the glass-and-chrome counter, Suki looked up from her anatomy textbook and smiled; she was a young Japanese-American with a short hair dyed bright purple, and her arms crawled with ink, mostly images borrowed from classical Japanese woodcuts. She had several silver studs in both ears, her nose and lower lip.

The newcomer wore her hair short and was cute as a button, but wore minimal make-up and didn't even have pierced ears; Suki cleared her throat and offered a friendly greeting to the obvious neophyte. "Hi, welcome to Knight's Ink! How can I help you?"

The small girl finally managed to tear her eyes away from the designs and step over to counter, smiling nervously. "Oh, hi; I'm sorry, I'm not here for any work, though your stuff is obviously way cool." She indicated her own ear, then gestured towards the Asian girl. "I love all the silver, very pretty."

Suki beamed. "Thank you! I had most of them done here. So, how can I help you? I'm Suki, by the way."

"Hi Suki, I'm Lynn. I was hoping to see Wesley; is he here today?"

The tattooed girl's smile wavered for a minute, but she stayed professional.

"Of course! He's in back, but he might be with a client. Give me one second, I'll check."

Suki stepped out from behind the counter a bit faster than she meant to, then headed to the back of the gallery, under the curtain and into the studio proper, where three artists in blue latex gloves were working on clients in dentist chairs, while a handsome young African-American man was speaking on his cellphone, pacing at the back of the studio.

Not wanting to disturb him, Suki grabbed a sketchpad and a pen, and scribbled a note which she held up under her unhappy-looking face.

'I THINK YOUR WEIRD LITTLE EX-GIRLFRIEND IS HERE!'

Edited by Heritage

"Alright, we'll see you later this evening then," Wesley said winding down the call as Suki found him, "Great." He had been talking to a guy who wanted a bit of a large order, and it wasn't anything harmful. Wesley was glad the word of mouth had picked up about the modifications. This surely was a big hit. Then Suki showed him the sign as the guy was giving his final words and hanging up. Wesley looked shocked there for a moment. It couldn't be Lynn, could it? Last time he saw her she had a gunman for a boyfriend. Though he knew Suki would probably totally interrupt him if such a person was at the stand. He hung up the phone and slipped it in his pocket. He looked at her, silently questioning her surety that it was her. Suki nodded. He took a deep breath, swallowing the pit of his stomach feeling. He nodded her back to her station and followed her back to the front. When he got there, he did in fact find that it was Lynn. OK, he thought, no butterflies. no weirdness. Just friendliness. He still didn't know why she was here. Time to find out. Speak, he thought, don't just stand there smiling like a goofball. "H-Hey, Lynn," he smiled with a bit of a small voice. He stood with his arms behind him. He had forgotten how small she was. Though he knew she could get bigger or smaller at a moment's notice. "What brings you this side of town?"

"H-Hey, Lynn," he smiled with a bit of a small voice. He stood with his arms behind him. He had forgotten how small she was. Though he knew she could get bigger or smaller at a moment's notice. "What brings you this side of town?"

Aww, he still fears me! :D

She smiled broadly as she approached him, arms out for a friendly hug. "Hey there, stranger! How's it goin'?" Her head came up to his chest, but she had the grip of a freakin' bear.

There was a small noise; Lynn's head jerked up, and her eyes fell on Suki hovering in the doorway, the curtain drapped over one shoulder, not sure if she should stay for her boss's sake or disappear in back. The tiny brunette gave her an icy look that sent her scurrying in back, then turned her gaze back to Wesley, her big brown eyes warm once again.

"Look, do you have a few minutes? I'm sure you're a busy guy, so I don't wanna take up too much of your time, but I wanted to ask you somethin', y'know, if I could."

OOF. Wesley stood up to the might of the mighty small girl's grip. She had gotten stronger. Though it wasn't that hard, he just wasn't expecting a linebacker hug from the ballerina type. He lightly hugged her back. This did not sit well with Suki, it seemed. "Sure," he said answering her. The waiting area was empty. Though Suki needed to be out watching for customers. "Come on," he said lightly taking her hand, "We'll go some place more comfortable than out in the open." There was an employees room in the back where they could talk in private. Passing Suki on their way back he whispered in the employee's ear, "Keep an ear out, please? Now go back up front." When he and Lynn got into the space for employees, it did actually look like a home place. There was a plush brown couch and chair set, a table with all sorts of magazines, a large flat screen with a couple of game systems hooked to it behind that all was a small kitchenette. The walls were painted with all sorts of designs. Some were finished others looked abandoned or not finished. Wesley invited Lynn to have a seat on the couch and be comfortable, "You want something to drink? We got all sorts back here."

"We'll go some place more comfortable than out in the open."

Lynn nodded and smiled. "Sure, that sounds cool."

Suki didn't look exactly thrilled at the situation; her previous experience with ex-girlfriends showing up had been mostly unpleasant, but Wesley was the boss and seemed to have everything under control, so she rather glumly headed up front.

For her part, Lynn was fascinated by the various sights and smells of the studio: the pungent mix of rubbing alcohol, ink and (eek!) traces of human blood, as well as the vivid designs displayed on the wall and the even more impressive tats on the clients and Wesley's staff, were almost overwhelming. Thankfully the break area was much more subdued and inviting, and Grim happily found a place on the couch.

"You want something to drink? We got all sorts back here."

"Who, me? Nah, I'm all about self-service these days."

She held out her hand, and a ridiculously tall and elaborate fountain drink appeared in a swirl of vapor; it appeared to be in the shake or malt family, with tons of whipped cream, nuts and wafers sticking out of the fluted glass, and a bright red cherry on top. A long silver spoon appeared in her other hand, and the changeling eagerly dug in like it was no big deal.

“So, I was kinda in the neighborhood, and I thought to myself, ‘I wonder how Wes is holding up after all the craziness this year?’ I got the sense from Robin that things were kinda rocky between you two, and I felt kinda responsible, what with my self-righteous tirade about the head and all. Plus, y’know, I’ve always wanted to see where you work!"

She offhandedly gestures with the spoon, which sends an arc of whipped cream and hot fudge through the air, but thankfully it melts back into vapor before it hits anything of value.

"So how are you, Wes?"

Her tone seemed casual, but her intense focus on her frozen concoction betrayed deeper concern.

Wesley was impressed with the magical drink. He got a Fusion out of the refrigerator and had a seat in the chair. She had gone from straight shapeshifting to summoning things. She had obviously grown in power. He did not know how the fey thing worked, only that it worked so well. He tried to keep a straight face when she mentioned Robin. It still stung a little, even though they were still friends. He smiled when she mentioned the new place. He remembered when she sat and watched him work at other places. He started this place like a month at the most after they broke off. He chuckled when she asked how he was, "Well, I'm doing a little better than I was a month or two ago." He sighed, "Yeah, Robin called it quits back then, but we managed to still be friends." He hoped that she hadn't heard about the disappearing act. "So, how about you," he said perking up and opening the bottle of mixed fruit juices, "How have you been?" He took a drink and listened.

"Well, I'm doing a little better than I was a month or two ago." He sighed, "Yeah, Robin called it quits back then, but we managed to still be friends." He hoped that she hadn't heard about the disappearing act. "So, how about you," he said perking up and opening the bottle of mixed fruit juices, "How have you been?"

Lynn winced as she spoke through a mouthful of glamoured delight. "Mmm, I'm sorry to hear things didn't work out with her; she seemed nice." Then she shrugged. "Me, I've been good, real good." She looked down at her left hand and smiled awkwardly. "Uh, me and Colt are..." She held up her hand to show her engagment ring; normally she loved to show it off, but now not so much. "We haven't set a date yet; I'm thinking sometime in Spring."

Finally Lynn set aside her massive shake thing, and it faded away into vapor as she leaned forward, looking rather serious.

"Look, this whole 'Grimpig' thing...I'm sorry it went down the way it did. And I'm really sorry that, well..." She sighed and looked away, ashamed. "Alright, maybe I'm being paranoid or self-centered here, but I kinda get the feeling that the way things ended between us, and this whole...Avenger/Pig thing...that you've had real trouble, y'know, makin' it work with someone else."

She smiled, though there were tiny tears in the corners of her eyes. "I just want you to be happy, Wes, like really happy. And, I don't think that happens enough in your life." She reached out and ran a hand down his magnificent mass of braids. "We just need to find you the right girl, is all."

Wesley swallowed hard when he saw he ring. A cough or two later he smiled weakly, "Congratulations." He wondered if it would be rude to ask to come, you know, the whole ex thing. But then again, it seemed like she was extending the olive branch. Then it seemed Grim was getting a bit more formal. He winced at the word 'Grimpig'. Such an inventive word for a horrible time in their life. He sighed, "Look, I gotta apologize for that too. The secret I held from you that haunted my nightmares and still do? Maybe could have been avoided if I was more truthful with you. There are many sides to a story. Black and white conclusions sometimes doesn't cut it." He looked with another weak smile, "Thankfully I've told you everything I know." Then she smiled and told him that she wanted to hook him up. "Wow," he said shocked, "I don't know what to say. Uh... Thanks, I guess?" There was a bit of a nervous chuckle. "It is a very grandiose gesture of you." He smiled warmly, "I guess there's no harm in trying, right?"

"Wow," he said shocked, "I don't know what to say. Uh... Thanks, I guess?" There was a bit of a nervous chuckle. "It is a very grandiose gesture of you." He smiled warmly, "I guess there's no harm in trying, right?"

Lynn beamed. "Exactly! You know me, always with the grandiose gestures! In fact, look up 'grandiose' in the dictionary, and you'll see my smiling face, giving you the thumbs up."

His ex-girlfriend hopped up to her feet, and began pacing the small back room.

"Okay, it should probably be someone in 'the biz', as I like to call it; it just makes things easier if you don't have to worry about each other as much." She stopped to stroke her chin. "Let's see, who do I know that's single..." Grim’s form shifted into the younger of the two Espadas siblings. “Well there’s Jill…†Then the eyes behind her mask went huge. “No no no, no Jill! She’s so mature, sometimes I forget!†In a flash Grim was back to herself, one hand covering her mouth. “Dear God, Jack would kill me like a thousand times! And God have mercy on her first boyfriend, whoever he turns out to be; Jack’s gonna run that poor kid through the wringer.â€

Once more composed, Lynn continued to run down her mental list as she continued pacing. “Well there’s always Moira…†She took on a simulacrum of the goddess’s shape as she swayed back and forth, thankfully not quite as radiant as the genuine article. "But you’re an old-fashioned guy, and I don’t see Big D settling for just one guy or girl or thing anytime soon.†‘Divine’ dropped back into her seat and slipped back into her own form.

“Dagnabbit, why are all the good ones off the market? There’s got to be someone else…†As she pondered, her hair turned to burnished gold that cascaded down over her chair. “There is that Gossamer, but she strikes me as being rather high maintenance.†‘Estelle’ sniffed and flicked imaginary dust off her silver-and-blue bodysuit before melting back into a clearly-frustrated Lynn.

“I dunno, are there any girls you’ve worked with that you like? This is harder than I thought.†:(

Wesley chuckled as Lynn gave her 'grandiose' speech. She always was one to jump on things and grab them by the horns. While he did miss the high energy relationship, it was obvious that their time as boyfriend and girlfriend had passed. He couldn't help but think what she had planned for this whole scheme, but when she started pacing he knew this was one of her on-the-fly deals. Sitting back in the chair he took a sip or two of his drink, then she stopped. 'Jill' looked, what, sixteen or seventeen? He was almost twenty-one. That wasn't going to fly. Wesley chuckled when 'Divine' popped up. While she definitely was the most senses-pleasing woman he had ever met, Lynn was right, she was more of a free lover. Finally, there was 'Gossamer'. He'd met her once or twice! Huh, small world. Though the high maintenance thing was probably something he probably didn't need to think about. He was sure she was a nice girl and all, but he was no gold mine. "Worked with? As in here?" Wesley shook his head, "I'm sure they're all nice girls, but it would feel sorta awkward dating someone I worked with." Wesley thought about it for a second or two. He didn't know many females on a personal level. "As for the other 'job'... Eh, maybe, possibly, probably not. There was this girl last month. She was nice and all, a bit mysterious. Her name was Silhouette. Though I never heard from her again after that, didn't get much personal information from her. Then again, the zombies sorta impeded that." He chuckled, "If I reach way back, I met this girl named Mongrel Angel earlier this year. She was a shapeshifter, possibly like yourself. We didn't spend much time together either. Beyond werewolves." He shook his head, "I'm sorry I'm not much help for you."

"As for the other 'job'... Eh, maybe, possibly, probably not. There was this girl last month. She was nice and all, a bit mysterious. Her name was Silhouette. Though I never heard from her again after that, didn't get much personal information from her. Then again, the zombies sorta impeded that." He chuckled, "If I reach way back, I met this girl named Mongrel Angel earlier this year. She was a shapeshifter, possibly like yourself. We didn't spend much time together either. Beyond werewolves." He shook his head, "I'm sorry I'm not much help for you."

Lynn hopped up again, clearly jazzed by this news as she started pacing out her thoughts again.

"Okay, forget about the shapeshifter girl; I have it on good authority they make lousy girlfriends."

She gave him a good-humored wink and continued pacing without breaking her stride.

"So tell me more about this Silhouette girl. Is she cute? Is she funny? Where'd you two meet? Are her powers all sexy and stuff? Details, man, details! I need something to work with here!"

"Oh it wasn't so bad," Wesley said with a small smile. He really did enjoy his time with Lynn.As much as they shouldn't have clicked, they did. Very much so. She was ever so inviting to him and he was very receptive to her ways.. Had he not been consumed by his job more than her, they would still be together. Maybe that ring would have been his. Ah, sliding doors. He tried not to think about it too much. She was here as a friend, and he was glad of that. "Silhouette, eh," he pondered wispily, trying to remember the night in question. "Well, she was wearing all black in the middle of the night. She seemed like a nice and helpful enough girl. Since she was in costume, I didn't get her personal information. Heroes have a right to their secret identities." Then again, even he had somewhat of a secret identity. No one questioned if Knight was his last name while he was out. "But yeah, nice girl all-in-all."

"Silhouette, eh," he pondered wispily, trying to remember the night in question. "Well, she was wearing all black in the middle of the night. She seemed like a nice and helpful enough girl. Since she was in costume, I didn't get her personal information. Heroes have a right to their secret identities." Then again, even he had somewhat of a secret identity. No one questioned if Knight was his last name while he was out. "But yeah, nice girl all-in-all."

Lynn just stared at him for a few seconds, hands on her hips as she slowly chewed her lower lip. "You're completely useless, you know that?" She laughed and shook her head as she conjured up a chalkboard on an easel and a piece of chalk. Across the top of the board she mispelled 'SILOUETTE', which she underlined three times.

"Okay, so what we've got so far is-"

NICE + HELPFUL

WEARS BLACK AT NIGHT

Lynn tapped the blackboard with her chalk a few times.

"Do you see that I mean about you're being useless? Okay, did you fight anyone with her? What powers did she use, or is she more like a ninja girl? Did you talk about anything else other than, what was it, zombies? Movies, food, clothes, music, anything?"

Wesley thought hard, trying to remember the night in question. "Well, besides the power to disappear and make parts of herself disappear, she didn't seem ninja like. The big part of the night is when we blew up a house full of zombies." He smiled fondly of the experience, "I don't know. It was something about her." He chuckled, "I remember she asked for my number to call when she needed help. Then I never saw or heard from her again." Getting up from the chair, he looked at the chalk board and picked up a piece of chalk, drawing a question mark. He smiled to Lynn, "Yeah, not much help at all am I?"

"Well, besides the power to disappear and make parts of herself disappear, she didn't seem ninja like. The big part of the night is when we blew up a house full of zombies."

"I don't know. It was something about her."

Lynn grinned wryly as she began to write again on the board. "Yeah, I know that smile; you're a little sweet on her." She added a few more notes.

STEALTH/INVISIBILTY

NOT A NINJA (PROBABLY)

WES THINKS SHE'S CUTE

Putting down the chalk, she folded her arms and sighed. "This is gonna be a challenge..."

"I remember she asked for my number to call when she needed help. Then I never saw or heard from her again."

"Yeah, not much help at all am I?"

Lynn shook her head. "Nope, not really." She dismissed the chalkboard with a wave of her hand, then rubbed her face. "Tell you what, I'm gonna hit the streets, maybe make a few calls, and see what I come up with; most crimefighters work a favorite beat, so at the very least I'll see what part of town we should go lookin' for her in."

She affectionately patted his arm, then started to head for the door. "I'll give you a call when I've got something, alright?" Then she stopped and gave him a nostalghic little smile. "Don't worry; I've still got your number."

Wesley shook his head lightly with a small smile at the little 'thinks she's cute' comment. It wasn't a blush but something was there. When Lynn went into full detective mode, he was shocked. Happily though. He chuckled, "Sure," he smirked, "Needle in a haystack. I trust you can find anything." He wasn't kidding either. the things that girl found when they were together was uncanny! "Same here" he said when she mentioned the phone number. It had been a long time since he used that number. "I'll give you a call if anything happens to drop in my lap. Highly unlikely, though you never know around these parts." With that, they hugged and said their goodbyes. Wesley had work to do. People wanted body art done, he had to give it to them.