It Takes All Types (IC)

KnightDisciple

"Sure thing, man. Go ahead and ask her. But yeah, her being athletic scares the hell out of me. She reminds me of those women off of American Gladiator." Blake said as he shuddered in fear. "You're blushing! Oh man, you really like her, don't you? Dude, seriously ask her. Like, today." He playfully nudged Corbin back.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Corbin coughed in embarrassment. His blush deepened a bit.

"Hey, I like the women on American Gladiators. It's just the extreme woman bodybuilders that don't do it for me. I think you know the ones. But I suppose I might have a slight edge in not being scared by, ah, athletic women.

You think I should? I mean...I'm new here. Wouldn't it be awkward? Besides, when would I see Ultiteen next? Or rather, Quo-Dis. I should use her given name, not her codename. Unless she likes her codename more..."

The pencil's still tapping a nervous rhythm, and it's joined by his left foot as well.

The pencil stopped tapping, as did the foot. Carefully, gently even, the various drawing supplies were placed in Corbin's bag nearby.

Then, he suddenly stood up, right foot going onto the table; left hand on his hip, right hand pointed into the air.

"You're absolutely right! I've been slinking around this school for weeks now. Because I've been afraid. Well, no more! Today, I shall go out there, I will find Ultiteen, and I will ask her on a date! And gosh darn it, she'll just have to say yes! Because there's no reason to refuse me! And you!"

His right hand points at Blake, random flares of blue fire flickering around it. Corbin doesn't seem to notice the flares; at least they seem to be staying on his skin for now..

"You're going to call your girlfriend up after I do, and we're going to go on a double date! Because we're both just that awesome! And the date will be awesome! Are you with me?"

He plants both hands on his hips, taking his foot off the table, and leaning forward, waiting for a reply.

Blake's mouth went :o . He hesitated for a moment, mulling it over. He stroked his chin, and pondered it for a moment. "Well...hmm." He suddenly leapt into the air. "Hell yeah! Let's do it, man!" Blake held his fist out for a fist bump. "Oh, uh. Just saying. You've got a little...fire on your hand there. Just sayin'. But yeah, man. We've gotta do it. For the sake of mankind."

Corbin glances at his hand, then shakes it in the air until the fire goes away.

"Sorry. Sometimes it just kind of responds to my subconscious, you know.

Anyways. Yes!"

He gives a righteous fist bump to Blake, a huge smile on his face.

"For the sake of the future of all mankind, we shall have a double date!"

One arm grabbed his bag, sweeping it over his shoulder. His other grabbed Blake around the shoulders, pointing him towards the elevator before releasing him. Corbin was already striding towards the conveyance to the ground floor, stopping only for a moment to press the button. His enthusiasm dimmed a bit as he had a confused look cross his face.

"So...where would I find her? Quo-Dis, that is."

Blake totally kills the momentum. He shrugs. "I dunno. Not my problem. Go check the gym? She's probably lifting iron. Waiting for some big sexy guy to ask her out." Blake slyly winked at him. "Oh man...you should totally work out with her sometime though. You could two can do free weights, and you can be her spotter. If you know what I mean." Blake honestly didn't know what he himself meant by that. Something provocative.

Corbin taps his chin in thought, then shrugs as the elevator dings and opens.

"Gym sounds like a decent start. I can ask around from there, if she's not there already."

He smirked at Blake's not-so-subtle praise.

"Yeah, I could probably manage a workout with her. I definitely wouldn't mind spotting her."

He steps into the elevator, but holds his hand in the door, looking to Blake with curiosity and...well, not pleading, but definitely a sincere request.

"You going to come and watch, and give me moral support?"

"I have taught you well, young Padawan. But you must continue your next step to being a Jedi Master/Starship Captain alone. Fare well, young Corbin, and may the Force be with you, beam me up Scotty." He said the previous statement with a deadpan look on his face. Then cracked up a little.

"Naw, but seriously man? You got this."

• 2 weeks later...

Quo-Dis, last born of the Ultima was - as she often was - sitting alone in the Claremont Quad. The cold didn't bother her, of course, like the majority of students. Still, after a rather embarrassing incident with some of the more snippy girls, she'd dressed the part for winter at least in passing. So she wore the one pair of jeans she'd found that fit her strapping frame and an open jacket over a turtle neck. With her book bag tucked between her feet, she had one of the American History text books open on her lap and was quietly leafing through the pages and taking notes in a spiral ring notebook open on the bench next to her.

Corbin had tried the gym, but the object of his quest had not been located there. He'd jogged a couple different places, before finally heading to the Quad. If nothing else, it would give him a central point to start-

'Ah. There we go, "target" in sight. I just...okay, I just need to walk up to her. And talk. And...crap. Okay, you can do this, Corbin. You're 17. You've faced down all sorts of things as a hero. A real, live, hero. She's not here to fight you, or anything. The worst she says is "no", and you move on. There's more girls out there.'

He tilted his head a bit as he studied her. A slightly goofy smile spread across his face.

'Though I doubt it would be easy to find a girl with a build like that..No! Focus! Hey, she's studying. If it's not math or hard sciences, maybe I can offer to help!'

With that fortifying thought, Corbin strode across the grass with confidence. He stood out a bit with just a t-shirt on, but at least he was wearing jeans. Really, he didn't even need his powers to not worry so much about the cold. Just a few moments before he arrived, Corbin managed to glimpse one of the pages of the book, and noticed a picture that suggested it was a history textbook.

'Score! History! I can totally do this!'

With a surge of confidence, Corbin politely stopped about 4 feet away, and cleared his throat.

"Hey. So, history? Which class? Oh, um, hi. Yeah, hello. My name's Corbin."

He gives a little wave, rocking back on his heels as he tries not to panic or just generally do something stupid.

KC had perched on a tree a few yards away, out of sight. He watched Corbin's actions with a combination of pride and hopefulness that only a friend can. As Corbin walked up to her confidently, KC's heart soared! His friend was totally gonna ask her!

With a surge of confidence, Corbin politely stopped about 4 feet away, and cleared his throat.

"Hey. So, history? Which class? Oh, um, hi. Yeah, hello. My name's Corbin."

He gives a little wave, rocking back on his heels as he tries not to panic or just generally do something stupid.

KC buried his face in his palms.

Quo-Dis had glanced up at his approach and dropped her hand to rest on her book as she just watched him. After a moment of blinking at him, she smiled a little self consciously and lifted her hand up from the book. "Hello, Corbin."

Her accent was difficult to place - unless of course, one had visited the Ultima - and she phrased his name carefully, sounding out each syllable. "I am Quo-Dis. This is American History. We are studying the American Revolution. You know of this?"

Corbin smiled more confidently as he took Quo-Dis's hand and gave it a firm shake. He knelt down so he wasn't towering over the sitting girl.

"Good to meet you, Quo-Dis. I think I've seen you around, but we've just not managed to meet yet. So goes school, I suppose."

His face took on a thoughtful expression as he shifted to be sitting on the ground.

"American Revolution? Yeah. I'm actually looking to go into history as a career one day. I'm a bit more of a generalist with American History, as my focus is more on the Middle East and Mediterranean area, but I bet I can help you out. Did you have any particular questions?"

He suddenly remembers why he's here, and blushes a bit. He sits a bit straighter as he gives a slight cough.

'Breath's good.'

"I actually kind of wanted to ask you something, but it wasn't necessarily homework-related...Um. You go first."

"What does this mean, 'not necessarily homework related'?" Quo-Dis said, focusing on that part of the statement first. She clutched the book a little closer to her chest and blurted out, "I have come to learn that there are things that are not discussed in public and among strangers and I will not be doing this thing with you, just in case there is a question."

Quo-Dis looked at him, her cheeks pink, "Unless, of course, that is not what you've come to ask and Daisy Gibbons did NOT send you. In that case, I will answer your question first and then we will speak of Founding Fathers. If, of course, I decide that I will answer this question of yours."

She paused, "Which I retain the right to not, in case that was not clear. Very well. Go ahead."

Corbin turned almost solid red at Quo-Dis's statements.

"What? Wait, no. I mean...wow. Um, no what I'm asking is something that's discussed in polite company. That...um. Wow. Okay, can I have a moment?"

He closes his eyes and takes several deep, calming breaths, his color slowly returning to normal.

"Okay. Quo-Dis, what I would like to ask you is: Would you give me the honor of taking you on a date sometime in the near future? I'm thinking just...Hm. Maybe we could see a movie, acquire some dinner, and talk for a little while? You are not at all obligated to say yes. But...I'd really like it if you did. I realize we don't know each other that well, but I'd like to have a chance to become better acquainted. And if you need time to consider it, that's fine too. Just...please at least consider it?"

He holds up his right hand in a solemn pose.

"I swear, by my family's name, by the ring on this hand, that I was not sent by Daisy Gibbons, directly or indirectly. If I have given you offense, it was not my intention."

He lowered his hand.

"So, uh...the Founding Fathers?"

He gave an awkward chuckle.

'I hope I didn't ruin my chances just now...Also, note to self: Daisy Gibbons must pay. Somehow.'

She watched him for a moment or two, but seemed to take his vow very seriously so, after a very tense moment, she nodded, "Very well, Corbin, we will go get... pizza. We will get pizza and you will take me to see the romantic comedy. I would like to do this thing."

Quo-Dis smiled at him, "And if that goes well, perhaps we can speak of study-dates as well. But first, we should do something outside of school, I think. Yes?"

Inside, Corbin was celebrating.

'She said yes! She said yes! I'm a stud! This is awesome! And she likes pizza, even better!'

Outside, he was "just" beaming a 100-megawatt smile, and blushing a bit.

"Yes. I think doing something more than a "study date" sounds like an excellent first step. I'll find out what a good pizza place is. As for movies...I think that new one Megamind comes out this weekend. Tomorrow night, actually. It's not just a romantic comedy, but it's definitely a comedy, and I've heard it's got romance. If that's not good, we can always pick something when we go there. It's your call, really. This whole thing's as much about you as it is about me. Thank you for saying yes."

Here, he blushed deeper. He didn't seem to offer immediate reasons for his thanks, though.

"Did you need any help real quick with history, or are you doing okay with it?"

KC pumped a fist! His buddy had a date with the hot alien chick! He couldn't be prouder of his new friend- he could hardly wait to tell Jessica. KC whipped out his cell phone and texted Jessica. "Double date? My buddy just got a chick." As he flipped his cell phone shut, KC took a deep breath. His Padawan had succeeded. Corbin could hear a faint WOOOO coming from the vague direction of the forest.

• 2 weeks later...

"It's not that difficult, honestly," said the immortal teenager seriously. "Frankly, I'm surprised at how short your curricula is. In my...old school," she elided, covering for the personal history that she knew was confidential in the school records, "Our historical education went back millenia, and that was if you preferred other fields." She smiled. "At least your stories about yourselves are interesting. Just like you, Corbin." She studied him, her eyebrow raising. "Why don't you tell me a story about your people?"

Corbin thought for a moment, then smiled.

"Let me tell you about a place called Valley Forge, in the winter of 1777, and how perseverance may have changed the world as we know it..."

Corbin spent a bit of time talking this snippet of history with Quo-Dis, embellishing things a bit, using hand gestures to emphasize his words, and even materializing a few pictures with his ring.

After some time had passed, and the story had finished, Corbin stood to his feet with a smile.

"It's been a pleasure, Quo-Dis. I'll see you again soon enough. Have a good day."

With that, Corbin took to the air, quickly flying back towards his dorm, searching for the young man who'd spurred him on to this venture. While he flew, he traced acrobatic patterns in the air, leaving a unique trail behind himself.

Corbin's face was plastered with an infectious grin. He gave his new friend a thumb's up.

"Yeah man! Once I cleared up why I was there, she agreed! I'm thinking a couple weeks before we do the double date thing, just so Quo-Dis and I can kind of find our stride, you know? Also: WOOHOO! I'M AWESOME!"

Fireworks-like patterns lit up the sky behind the grinning young man. Currently, he was about as subtle as a brick through a window, but what could you do?

KC couldn't help but grin along with him. He was a lucky man- Quo-Dis was a beautiful girl. "Sounds good to me, man. I can definitely dig it. Oh dude! I was going on patrol later, want to come with? I think there might be some kind of weapons deal happening uptown tonight. I've kinda been keeping my ear to the ground lately, and you know...you hear things. Could be a pretty big scoop if you're not too giddy." KC said with a wink.