Hide In Plain Sight

ex3lev3n

hey, it's you-know-who again. I have comments/questions regarding the aforementioned Feat, and I'd like to hear what some of your thoughts are.

OK, so the book says you don't need cover or concealment to use the Stealth skill if you possess the Feat... isn't that sort of overpowered for a single Power Point? If you'd buy that as a Concealment Power, you'd be paying considerably more. And what/how do you go about describing the effects of the Feat in-game?

Inside a featureless room

NPC: "Thanks for your help, Stealth Man. We couldn't have done it without you."

Stealth Man: "Just doing my job."

NPC: "No really, if it wasn't for you we...d'whaa?! Where'd he go?!"

See? That's silly, isn't it? What's your take on it all?

My pennys worth, its a throwback to M&Ms D&D 3e roots, and not a good one. It makes little sense, its of dubious mechanical cost, and feels all wrong.

The only way I could justify it myself is by some "Super Ninja" type character. In other words, I couldn't justify it in this setting (myself), and personally I would bin it for the very reason you said.

If somebody wants to hide without cover or concealment, then get a concealment power. Makes a lot more sense.

EVERYONE can do this. You just need to make a Bluff roll to say "Look behind you".

HiPS is Benefit (Don't Need To Say Look Behind You)

See, I was under the impression that the Feat worked differant than a distraction. You could Bluff and say "Look behind you!", but you still need to be within (Stealth ranks) feet of cover or concealment to actually make the check. With Hide In Plain Sight, I read it as "Just roll the dice". Using me example in the first post, you couldn't Bluff the NPC because there is no cover to hide behind, where with the Feat you could just stand in the dead center of the room and roll for Stealth.

Personally, I would have thought Sage power would be more accurately (although perhaps more cumbersomely) be something like a Concealment power with limitations: Phantasms and Requires Stealth Roll (alongside, maybe blending and passive).

As it is HiPS would work against machines or people with mental shields / immune to mental powers (unlike your descriptor), and can't be nullified. Or powerstunted / boosted / drained, come to that.