Disco Fever [1972]

Lynn's family went to a Conservative temple, even after the family was forced to move to the trailer park when things got rough, but they were not insanely devout; there weren't any milk safe plates in the kitchen area, and they didn't say the Birkat Hamazon after every meal, only on holidays. Once they were in Tilton Terrace, her mom never bothered to find a new kosher butcher, so they just stuck to the basics (no pork, no shellfish, etc) unless it was Passover or they were visiting relatives.

So the Parkers' dinner met her not-so-rigorous kosher standards, which was a huge relief; however, the Catholic grace was a bit awkward, so she just bowed her head and nodded at the end.

"This looks fanatastic, Mrs. Parker; we really appreciate the hospitality, and all the trouble you went to preparing this." Lynn then proceeds to fill her plate, her hunger somewhat overridding her normal good manners; the taste and smell of this meal she would treasure for years.

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lynn's family went to a Conservative temple, even after the family was forced to move to the trailer park when things got rough, but they were not insanely devout; there weren't any milk safe plates in the kitchen area, and they didn't say the Birkat Hamazon after every meal, only on holidays. Once they were in Tilton Terrace, her mom never bothered to find a new kosher butcher, so they just stuck to the basics (no pork, no shellfish, etc) unless it was Passover or they were visiting relatives.

So the Parkers' dinner met her not-so-rigorous kosher standards, which was a huge relief; however, the Catholic grace was a bit awkward, so she just bowed her head and nodded at the end.

"This looks fanatastic, Mrs. Parker; we really appreciate the hospitality, and all the trouble you went to preparing this." Lynn then proceeds to fill her plate, her hunger somewhat overridding her normal good manners; the taste and smell of this meal she would treasure for years.

The Parkers all eat heartily, and Sean was right - Mrs. Parker is a good cook. Even Nanowire, who has no need to eat any more, can still appreciate the taste. There isn't much conversation, and something that might stick out to the two from the future is that there is no television in the kitchen. They aren't really speaking to one another, but it's due to manners - not speaking with a full mouth - rather than being distracted by whatever is on the television at the moment.

Finally, the meal ends. Mr. Parker pushes himself back from the table an inch.

"Phew. Thank you again, Mary. That was good," he says. He looks over to Grimalkin. "Did you want to go see your uncle now? Sean can take you over there." He glances over to Nanowire. "Sorry Roboman, but it can be a little unsafe for a young woman out after dark these days, and I don't think that suit of yours would fit in the shop."

He's too polite to point out that Ren isn't very imposing himself without the suit, while Sean's both a local and fairly well-muscled.

The Parkers all eat heartily, and Sean was right - Mrs. Parker is a good cook. Even Nanowire, who has no need to eat any more, can still appreciate the taste. There isn't much conversation, and something that might stick out to the two from the future is that there is no television in the kitchen. They aren't really speaking to one another, but it's due to manners - not speaking with a full mouth - rather than being distracted by whatever is on the television at the moment.

"Phew. Thank you again, Mary. That was good," he says. He looks over to Grimalkin. "Did you want to go see your uncle now? Sean can take you over there." He glances over to Nanowire. "Sorry Roboman, but it can be a little unsafe for a young woman out after dark these days, and I don't think that suit of yours would fit in the shop."

He's too polite to point out that Ren isn't very imposing himself without the suit, while Sean's both a local and fairly well-muscled.

"Ah... no problem," Ren replied, somewhat puzzled. It was dangerous around here? It seemed like such a good neighborhood. But whatever. He pushed himself back from the table as well and bowed slightly to his hosts. "Thank you very much for the food and your hospitality, Mr. Parker, Mrs. Parker. I hope that I can be as accommodating to you in the future if we should meet again."

"Ah... no problem," Ren replied, somewhat puzzled. It was dangerous around here? It seemed like such a good neighborhood. But whatever. He pushed himself back from the table as well and bowed slightly to his hosts. "Thank you very much for the food and your hospitality, Mr. Parker, Mrs. Parker. I hope that I can be as accommodating to you in the future if we should meet again."

"Um..." Lynn purses her lips in thought; the idea that she needs the protection of a guy her age with no powers rankles her a bit, but she tries to put it all in perspective.

It's a different world you're in now, kiddo - roll with the punches, for now.

At last, she sighs and nods her head. "Ok, sure." She excuses herself from the table, asks where the bathroom is, washes up and returns to the rest of the group; Lynn offers Ren a reassuring smile, then turns back to Sean, hands in the pockets of her velour coat.

"You guys ready?"

"Um..." Lynn purses her lips in thought; the idea that she needs the protection of a guy her age with no powers rankles her a bit, but she tries to put it all in perspective.

It's a different world you're in now, kiddo - roll with the punches, for now.

At last, she sighs and nods her head. "Ok, sure." She excuses herself from the table, asks where the bathroom is, washes up and returns to the rest of the group; Lynn offers Ren a reassuring smile, then turns back to Sean, hands in the pockets of her velour coat.

"You guys ready?"

"Sure," Sean says as he stands up from the table. He looks to Grimalkin. "So, where does your uncle live?"

Mr. Parker speaks up, "She's Mr. Silberman's niece, Sean."

Sean tilts his head for a second before the light dawns on him. "Oh, Mr. Silberman. I haven't been out that way for a long time, but yeah, I can get you there no problem." He clears his plate from the table and puts it in the sink. Mrs. Parker looks to Ren and Lynn and says, "I'll get that for you two. Shoo. You don't want the store to close up before you get there."

Sean grabs his coat as he heads out the front door and waits for the other two to catch up. Once they do so, he starts talking. "You know, it didn't always used to be like this. I guess it's sort of like the Fens seem to get bigger and West End gets smaller. It never used to be too bad, but now, it's safer to just keep your head down."

"Sure," Sean says as he stands up from the table. He looks to Grimalkin. "So, where does your uncle live?"

Mr. Parker speaks up, "She's Mr. Silberman's niece, Sean."

Sean tilts his head for a second before the light dawns on him. "Oh, Mr. Silberman. I haven't been out that way for a long time, but yeah, I can get you there no problem." He clears his plate from the table and puts it in the sink. Mrs. Parker looks to Ren and Lynn and says, "I'll get that for you two. Shoo. You don't want the store to close up before you get there."

Sean grabs his coat as he heads out the front door and waits for the other two to catch up. Once they do so, he starts talking. "You know, it didn't always used to be like this. I guess it's sort of like the Fens seem to get bigger and West End gets smaller. It never used to be too bad, but now, it's safer to just keep your head down."

Ren bowed again to Mrs. Parker as he leaves the home. "Thank you again. The meal was excellent." He then nodded to Lynn and Sean and followed along after them.

The night was cold, even he could tell that from the way Sean and Grim's breath fogged as they exhaled. He tried to hunch up some and rub his arms like he felt the chill, but the other thing he couldn't duplicate. The only thing he could do was hope Sean didn't notice.

"The Fens are that bad now? I guess I don't get out this way too much."

Ren bowed again to Mrs. Parker as he leaves the home. "Thank you again. The meal was excellent." He then nodded to Lynn and Sean and followed along after them.

The night was cold, even he could tell that from the way Sean and Grim's breath fogged as they exhaled. He tried to hunch up some and rub his arms like he felt the chill, but the other thing he couldn't duplicate. The only thing he could do was hope Sean didn't notice.

"The Fens are that bad now? I guess I don't get out this way too much."

Normally Lynn would be joining Ren in maintaining a somewhat more normal facade, but she's just too happy to do that; her hand finds his and locks fingers, and she playfully bumps up against him as they walk.

"It's hard to believe this world can be so dangerous sometimes; sometimes you just feel-" She stops as she looks up into Ren's eyes and smiles. "Safe."

Normally Lynn would be joining Ren in maintaining a somewhat more normal facade, but she's just too happy to do that; her hand finds his and locks fingers, and she playfully bumps up against him as they walk.

"It's hard to believe this world can be so dangerous sometimes; sometimes you just feel-" She stops as she looks up into Ren's eyes and smiles. "Safe."

"Well, you're new to town, so you might not've heard. The Fens are basically the worst neighborhood in Freedom City. All sort of crime there, and it's been that way for as long as this city's been around," Sean says. "Drugs are getting worse there now. Some sort of cocaine 'crack' or something, that's supposed to be even worse than the regular kind. You won't catch me doing any of that sh... that junk," he catches himself before using foul language in front of a girl. He hurries up before he gets called on it.

"Some of the guys in 'Nam would take hits of that stuff or heroin when they weren't seeing action, but most of 'em ended up dying even faster than the rest of us. I mean, those aren't like grass," he chuckles. "You guys ever see Reefer Madness? Came out last year, bunch of people going crazy because they smoked a little. Funny stuff."

As the three of them walk, Sean moves with confidence towards their destination. Nanowire and Grimalkin only notice one time where someone seems to be watching them with more than the usual amount of interest. When Sean catches his eye, though, Sean's look turns from the friendly sort of expression that he's had since dinner to something that could best be described as "don't mess with me, punk." The man's face goes blank, and he quickly looks away. Sean doesn't pause, and they can continue on.

"Well, you're new to town, so you might not've heard. The Fens are basically the worst neighborhood in Freedom City. All sort of crime there, and it's been that way for as long as this city's been around," Sean says. "Drugs are getting worse there now. Some sort of cocaine 'crack' or something, that's supposed to be even worse than the regular kind. You won't catch me doing any of that sh... that junk," he catches himself before using foul language in front of a girl. He hurries up before he gets called on it.

"Some of the guys in 'Nam would take hits of that stuff or heroin when they weren't seeing action, but most of 'em ended up dying even faster than the rest of us. I mean, those aren't like grass," he chuckles. "You guys ever see Reefer Madness? Came out last year, bunch of people going crazy because they smoked a little. Funny stuff."

As the three of them walk, Sean moves with confidence towards their destination. Nanowire and Grimalkin only notice one time where someone seems to be watching them with more than the usual amount of interest. When Sean catches his eye, though, Sean's look turns from the friendly sort of expression that he's had since dinner to something that could best be described as "don't mess with me, punk." The man's face goes blank, and he quickly looks away. Sean doesn't pause, and they can continue on.

Ren smiled at Lynn as she took up his hand. She was warm, he realized. Not that he expected anything different, but any kind of sensation beyond the bland null that was his existence these days was to be cherished. "Safe," he repeated. "Yeah, hard to believe." What was hardest for him to believe was that she actually felt that way with him around. She was a vigilante, a "hero" by any other name. He was a villain. A reluctant one, yes, but a villain all the same.

The last thing he was about to do was question it.

He cocked an eyebrow when Sean stared down the person who took an inordinate amount of interest in them. Maybe this area was worse than he thought.

Ren smiled at Lynn as she took up his hand. She was warm, he realized. Not that he expected anything different, but any kind of sensation beyond the bland null that was his existence these days was to be cherished. "Safe," he repeated. "Yeah, hard to believe." What was hardest for him to believe was that she actually felt that way with him around. She was a vigilante, a "hero" by any other name. He was a villain. A reluctant one, yes, but a villain all the same.

The last thing he was about to do was question it.

He cocked an eyebrow when Sean stared down the person who took an inordinate amount of interest in them. Maybe this area was worse than he thought.

As she swings his arm while they walk, Lynn grows somewhat thoughtful.

"I hope you like my, y'know, my uncle; visiting his shop was my favorite part of our trips to FC. We came every summer for Memorial Day weekend, and Ben and Eddi, my brother and sister? They just wanted to ride the monorail all day long; me, I wanted to eat Italian ice and look at all the books and old magic tricks in Louie's shop. He's super cool."

She stops suddenly and looks up at Ren with wide eyes. "You're going to meet someone in my family!" Then her surprise turns into a mischievious grin. "Y'know, meeting a girl's family is a biiiig step in a relationship; I heard that on 'Ask Dr. Love'."

As she swings his arm while they walk, Lynn grows somewhat thoughtful.

"I hope you like my, y'know, my uncle; visiting his shop was my favorite part of our trips to FC. We came every summer for Memorial Day weekend, and Ben and Eddi, my brother and sister? They just wanted to ride the monorail all day long; me, I wanted to eat Italian ice and look at all the books and old magic tricks in Louie's shop. He's super cool."

She stops suddenly and looks up at Ren with wide eyes. "You're going to meet someone in my family!" Then her surprise turns into a mischievious grin. "Y'know, meeting a girl's family is a biiiig step in a relationship; I heard that on 'Ask Dr. Love'."

Sometimes, it was just as well real life wasn't more like anime. If it was, Ren was certain Lynn would have seen a huge sweatdrop rolling down his head. "Oh... really?" he asked, his voice cracking slightly. "Well, that's... good. Yeah, good. I mean, because I'd want to do that. Meet your family. Here and now. With you. And... it'll be fine."

He tugged on his shirt collar. "Is it hot out here?" he asked helplessly.

Sometimes, it was just as well real life wasn't more like anime. If it was, Ren was certain Lynn would have seen a huge sweatdrop rolling down his head. "Oh... really?" he asked, his voice cracking slightly. "Well, that's... good. Yeah, good. I mean, because I'd want to do that. Meet your family. Here and now. With you. And... it'll be fine."

He tugged on his shirt collar. "Is it hot out here?" he asked helplessly.