New Kid On Campus (IC)

Yasmin straightened her self up from the dizziness and hopped over to the door. "About ten miles out, barring traffic." She beckoned Etain over to the door with a finger. "I can get us there really fast though! No need for walking or public transportation even," she nodded happily with a big grin on her face. With a whisper she spoke loud enough for her new friend to hear her, "Lady Etain, I have things to show you that are not in this room." She placed her hand on her own chest, "Things that are inside me." She smirked and began to walk down the hall, "Follow me," she said beckoning her again as she slowly walked backwards.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moving through the door frame making sure to avoid contact with the metal door handle and followed behind her. She could guess what the girl was refering too, but it would be interesting none the less. In her time here she hadn't seen many people transform and it was a sight she strangely missed about from her home world. Maybe it was the fact that she always saw a bit more then just the standard transformation. When they got a bit outside, Etain said,

"What is it then you would like to show me Yasmin?"

"Hmm. Maybe things aren't that different, then," said Mark with a little shrug. "Like I said, this has been my life since I was very little. That's not the same for everyone," he added quickly. "Lots of kids went to regular high school before their special talents got them noticed by Claremont." He got up to get their Chinese food, then sat down again. "Here you go. Yeah, I'm a little unusual. How about you?" he asked Corbin. "You ever worry that growing up with money makes it tough for you to relate to other kids? Like you'll never have the same interests or concerns?"

Corbin nodded his thanks as Mark retrieved the food. When Mark asked about common interests, he gave a slightly bitter laugh.

"Mark, I already speak several foreign languages, a couple of which are essentially dead. I'm more interested in going to the middle of the desert and digging up an old village to examine their plates and bedding than I am about playing football. I enjoy drawing, painting, and a bit of sculpture instead of working on cars. Though I do share a moderate like for video games with most of my peers. Not only do I not match the hopes of my parents, I'm a bit off-kilter from my peers. Even citing Indiana Jones as a bit of inspiration doesn't help. The fact that I didn't try to sleep with every loose girl in the school didn't help matters. I mean, don't get me wrong, I like girls. But if there's one thing my parents have given me a good example of, it's a strong, stable marriage. I want love like they have, not the risk of the crabs. I had a few friends from various "cliques", but never quite had a "home clique", if you get what I mean. That's why I like Claremont, now that I think about it."

*Tap tap tap* went the ring on his finger as the bottom of it gently struck the table surface.

"I have at least one thing that gives me very solid common ground with my peers. I'm hoping it will give me a better chance at making friends."

A spark of magic glimmered in Yasmin's eyes as she smiled gleefully at Etain, "I was wondering, Lady Etain. Wondering if you've ever been horse riding." Before Etain could answer, a strange... word came out of Yasmin's mouth. She was then suffused with a rainbow cloud that was very chaotic and hard to look at. It grew larger and larger. Soon Yasmin disappeared into the large cloud! The cloud quickly dissipated at it's apex to reveal a large bulky muscular white horse with a large unkempt rainbow colored mane and matching tail. The crowner though was a large pearl horn jutting out of it's forehead. "Well, what do you think," The Unicorn spoke, up turning around showing Etain everything.

"I have been riding yes,"

Watching the magic absorb her form and then rearrange it Etain was mostly quiet until she spoke to her,

"It is certianly much prettier then most unicorns,"

Walking closer she started to pat at the main,

"It is unusual for so many colors to be set against white however, most unicorns tend to have a very silvery mane. Though most unicorns do not have another form and would very rarely visit this world."

"Oh," said Mark quietly as Corbin described his family, suddenly feeling an odd stab of recognition he couldn't place. "My family lives in Ashton. We used to do a lot of traveling thanks to my father's work, but he...left the family recently and so we've been at home." He looked down at the glass in his hand and said, "Anyway, I'm sure you'll do really well. Our common experiences have a way of uniting us even beyond our...uncommon ones. Alex Albright is in our class, did you know that? I'm sure she's got some common experiences about managing money and coming from wealth, but balancing that with special knacks. She does a lot of charity work."

Corbin paused, glass halfway to his lips. That name, he recognized.

"Wait, Alex Albright? She runs her own company, and rather well, too. Huh. Don't let my folks hear, they'd flip out. And charity work is good stuff. That's the one downside to archeology; my direct revenue stream wouldn't facilitate much charity or anything. It'd have to come from inheritance and investments and such."

He rolls his eyes, but there's good humor there. His mood turns more serious.

"I'm sorry to hear about your dad. Um...we live up in North Bay...Does she have any close friends or anything? People she can spend time with?"

He shifts awkwardly in his seat, not sure how to handle this problem.

The Unicorn tried not to think too hard on what other types of unicorns were out there. Though the thought did cross her mind quickly. What were these silver-maned unicorns like? Only a single color? It was confusing just to think of. She would have to go to The Meadow later. The quick thoughts turned quickly into getting food. The Unicorn nodded, "Well then, Lady Etain. I invite you on a ride. We will be at Wintergreens quicker than a flash!"

"Yes, that does sound nice."

Walking over she took a moment but she was able to pull herself up onto the white horses back and position herself comfortably dispite the difficulty of riding in such a long dress. She also took maybe half a second to use an appropriate concealment spell so the sight of them might not cause any unnessicary attention. She managed it even with the light seal since it didn't require much effort, and she was certian that Yasmin was not effected so she could see Etain and herself as she went.

When Etain was on nice and squarely on The Unicorn's back, the equine being nodded. "Make sure you fasten your seatbelt and return your tray to the upright position. We will be at our destination shortly." The rainbow extended from under The Unicorn's hooves in a general direction toward their intended destination. "Hold on, Lady Etain," The Unicorn whinnied and took off along the colorful path. The rode over the city, seeing everything from above. "I love doing this. It's like they're all little ants!"

She did in fact hold on very tightly so much so that she hardly thought to look down. It was only when Yasmin mentioned it that she glanced over, and went just a bit pale at the distance, she kept her voice steady however as she said,

"Yes, everything looks very small."

She didn't look for very long, even if the magic rainbow caught her interest somewhat holding on greatly occupied her attention as they went through the air. She only really braved another glance when they had stopped moving, and by then they were street level near a cafe.

"She's fine," said Mark, and in an instant it was if nothing had ever happened. "Do you ever work with Dr. Henry Farrow?" he asked, naming a famous, if slightly venerable Egyptologist who'd been active in the field many years. "He's an old friend of my family's and I've been to his house a lot. He's mostly over in Egypt, but I think he's done a lot of work in the Holy Land. He actually thinks he's found the site where the Horus first battled Set at the First Cataract of the Nile: if he can get real archeological evidence, he's going to completely reshape our understanding of the mythocultural role that the ancient Egyptian pantheon played in the physical culture of classical Egyptian civilization." He stole a crab rangoon, and quite blatantly too. "I've talked to him about that stuff a couple of times, but I'm more of a modern history guy. Still, a lot of our current superheroes trace their roots back to ancient Egypt, like the Scarab or Beacon."

Corbin closed his eyes as he tried to recall the name.

"Farrow....Didn't work with him personally. I think Professor Chaim Amar mentioned doing a lot of work with him, though. I have a couple of his books as well. Fascinating stuff. I hadn't heard about that latest discovery, though. It's honestly a bit outside my scope and time period. I'm focused more towards late BC through early AD. The Persian, Greek, and Roman Empires. Men like Alexander the Great, Julius Ceasar, and their ilk. While they could be brutal tyrants, there's no denying they accomplished a lot in their lives. And the more we dig up, the more advanced it seemed their civilization was."

He smirked.

"Whenever we prove there's not as much difference between then and now for how "civilized" and "advanced" the cultures are, it always makes me laugh a bit. I can't deny I appreciate aspects of modern life, but it seems like nobody ever wants to check the rear-view-mirror, you know?"

He shrugged.

"Any that trace back to ancient Israel, Persia, or other parts of that area? If so, they may have some insight for me. Though...hm. I might try to see if I can talk with the Scarab. If it gives me even a tiny hint about my ring, I'll consider it worth it. I love puzzles, but I don't want to spend my whole life on this one..."

He trails off, staring for a moment at the powerful object on his hand. He absentmindedly slapped Mark's hand as he tries to steal another rangoon, popping the bit of food in his own mouth instead.

It took a good two minutes to get there, but the view was was spectacular. The buildings and architecture of Freedom City was simply fascinating. When they did land, the rainbow cloud consumed the two again. In the midst of the chaotic colorful cloud, The Unicorn used the magic word to turn back into Yasmin, setting Etain on her feet as she did so. Though when the cloud dispersed, she noticed Etain was not there! "Oh dear, that would not be the first one I lost," Yasmin mumbled to herself. She quickly surveyed the surroundings, "Lady Etain," she yelled out as she looked in bushes, under chairs, in garbage cans, and other assorted places.

To Corbin's surprise, he missed Mark entirely! In fact, he smacked his own paper cup of Coke, sending it cascading all over the floor. "Oops!" Mark got down on the floor quickly to help clean up, grabbing a few paper napkins to help, and then getting up to get Corbin a to-go cup. "I think we'd better get going," he offered when they were done, leading the way out the door. "As for your question, I've, uh, worked with some heroes who get their powers from Middle Eastern magic. You're really better off rising above that kind of thing, I think. What matters is who you are, not where your powers happened to come from."

Corbin winced at the spill, working to help clean it up as well, before quickly scarfing the rest of his food down, making sure to pay his bill on the way out.

"Hm. It's not my biggest concern by any means, mind you. But...this isn't something that's innate to my own person. I want to understand what all went into making this thing, and if there's an "instruction booklet" to go with it, all the better to know the limits it carries. Besides, like I said, I enjoy these sorts of things. I have all that knowledge at my fingertips, just as soon as I figure out the key to unlock it. I think knowing just what I'm using will help me forge my own path better; more so than stumbling around discovering new powers here and there."

He shrugs.

"Still and all, you've got a point. It's one major reason I'm at this school. To try finding out better just who I am."

"There you are!" Yasmin smiled, gently taking Etain by both hands and looked her in the eyes warmly, "And I am glad you are here. Luckily you weren't shunted elsewhere!" Casually guiding the girl into the cafe, they were greeted by a host. "Good day to you, Kevin," Yasmin greeted him with a curtsy. "Ah, Yasmin," the host perkily greeted her, "Welcome back. And you have brought a friend! We'll have you both seated right now." The host lead them to a table in front of a large window with an excellent view of the city. "The tray will be here in a moment." Yasmin smiled, "Thank you very much, Kevin." Kevin nodded, "What would you girls like to drink?" Yasmin looked to Etain, "We'll let my friend here go first."

"Chocolate chai for me," Yasmin looked up to Kevin as she sat, "with cinnamon, please?" The host nodded, "Your drinks will be here momentarily, girls. Also, the appetizers will be here shortly. Enjoy your stay." With that, Kevin bowed and went off to get some waiters into working. Yasmin smiled and thanked the man quietly. She looked back to Etain, "Lady Etain, I hope you enjoy this. Though I do have some questions, if I may be so bold to ask them."

"That is fine, I have a question or two myself. You are a very curious person afterall."

Glancing down at the stainless steel silverwear she let out a light sigh as she reached into her purse and pulled out a small plastic packet that had a matching set made of white plastic. She looked up at her while she started to unwrap it,

"You can ask the question first."

The two young men walked back to campus together, talking about the school and all it could do for Corbin, before Mark dropped the other teen off at the dorm. "I'm headed to study," said Mark, "sometimes it's our workload that's the most super thing about this place," he said wryly. "I appreciate the chat, Corbin, I'm glad we were able to get together. If you ever want to know anything more about the school, or just hang out, look me up. I'm here most of the time," he said with a little smile.

Yasmin watched curiously as Etain avoided the silverware. It wasn't odd as much as it was fascinating. Like a little dance of plastic and steel. She snapped out if it and smiled when Etain said she had questions of her own. She nodded, "Truly, we shall learn about each other both!" Crossing her legs in the chair she sat up. She looked around to see if anyone was paying attention. No one was, so she spoke in a hushed tone. "First off, we know each others names, but we do not know why we are in the predicament we are in. Sure you know I am a unicorn." She covered her forehead with a wink. "But I do not know why you were sent to the Academy. You seem like a very nice and normal girl." She paused for a moment, "You don't have to tell me. School policy and all. I'm just curious."

She had been called a lot of things since she had shown up in this world, normal was definitely not among them. It made her smile a little, and she wanted to answer but she was asked to rather limited with the information she directly gave out about herself.

"There are a couple of reasons I have come to your school, but one simple reason is that I see things differently. I knew you were special when I saw you, and I can tell if others are special as well. Though, there are are so many different types of special in this city I cannot always tell."

It was rather vague but she had been adviced to be so most of the time, or at the very least subtle. Not that this girl seemed to comprehend such things, everything about her was loud and exuberant.

"So Yasmin, why do you have that rather unique form?"