New Kid On Campus (IC)

Corbin turned to face Etain, a small smile coming to his face.

<I'm in the Jon Carter dormitory, third floor. Looks like I don't have a roommate at the moment. A perk of my age and grade, I suppose. What about yourself.>

While still giving her his attention, Corbin turned back to examine the surrounding school buildings.

<Do you know which classes you'll have? My course load is pretty standard; there's not really much in the way of a history & archeology study course here. Something for college, I suppose.>

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

" sociology class."

Reaching into her purse she fiddled with some papers before she pulled out her schedule.

"If we are the same age, we might be in similar lessons. I am considered seventeen years by the Avalon calender."

She didn't know how old she was by the earth calender, but then again Avalon time was really quite fickle so it was so hard to keep track. As they made there way out of the quad she pulled out her map and glanced at it before looking forward towards the first building with the blue roof,

"Your room should be in there."

Corbin examined the schedule, then nodded.

"Looks like we have the same basics. I have an art elective you don't, but I don't have any classes related to mystic history. Still, it's nice to know I'll have at least one familiar face in my classes. Maybe I can get to know a few more students..."

He looked to the Jon Carter dorm, and sure enough, the roof was a nice blue. He let out a deep belly laugh.

"I wonder if whoever is in charge of assigning our rooms knows the irony of that roof's color for me."

"Because of your artifact or because you like the color blue?"

She looked down at the map for another second,

"I am in the dorm with the green roof, though it is quite boring there now since there is no one around."

As they approached the door, she glanced in and saw a sign just past the door with the word common room. Curious she walked ahead to follow the sign until she found a door leading into a mostly empty room with a tv and some other furniture she wasn't quite sure she could place the name of.

Corbin nodded, waving to her as she wandered towards the Kim Conrad Dormitory, and he towards the Jon Carter Dormitory.

"I suppose I'll see you around later, Etain. Take care. I need to go drop my stuff off, and try to do a bit of unpacking."

With that, he entered the aforementioned dormitory. The morning hour meant that the halls were oddly empty, most kids off at class, or perhaps out and about the city, or the library, or basically anywhere but the dorm building. Corbin decided a quick jog up the stairs was better than a ride in the elevator. On the third floor, he pulled out the paper with his room assignment.

"Let's see....317....Ah, there it is."

He opened the door, and found that his parents had arranged for everything to be arranged already. His clothes were placed in the dresser or the closet, the furniture in a fairly standard one-person arrangement, and everything perfectly clean.

"I suppose I can't count on housekeeping from here on out. Meh. I'm sure I'll be fine. Hm. Doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the setup...Wait."

Setting his bags down, the young man gestured with his right hand. Blue energy surrounded the couch, which he subtly shifted about 6 inches to one side. This small act of "personalization" left a smile on the aspiring archeologist's face.

"There. Now it's perfect."

He then busied himself with unpacking the belongings he had carried with him, familiarizing himself with the room, and then sitting on the couch, studying his schedule.

Suddenly, a vigorous knocking on the door produced a new arrival! Big, brown-haired, and cheerful, wearing his Claremont letter jacket, Mark took Corbin's hand and pumped it. "Hey there, Corbin! How you doing? I'm Mark Lucas, I'm your designated senior tour guide. Did I catch you at a bad time?" he asked, stepping right into the room. "I'm sorry I missed you at the headmaster's office, but I just got off a training cycle with the team." He left it open what sport he played, or didn't. "Welcome to the school."

Corbin blinked at the raw enthusiasm Mark displayed.

"It's, uh, nice to meet you, Mark. And no worries; I was just getting settled in in here. Though most of the "settling" was done for me. This is actually a fine time. It doesn't look like they have me joining classes until tomorrow; something about processing paperwork and such. I've got a couple of class summaries to skim, but I guess the teachers know the drill."

He waved towards the hall.

"So yeah, tour on. I'd enjoy a bit more familiarity with the grounds, maybe meet a few people. I think almost everyone was in class when I came in. I met another new kid, a gal named Etain, and some guy who was leaving, named Eddie. Otherwise, I feel like a complete stranger here."

Yasmin was on her way out of the dormitory when she passed by someone she had not seen before. And that new person was carrying a map. Yasmin grinned. It was a new person. The new person was very pretty too! How would Yasmin approach her? Pshaw, the same way she did everyone! She circled back around and followed the new girl in. "Stop!" she called out to her, "I must speak with you." She ran directly in front of the new girl and stopped. "Welcome, fair lady," she curtsied deeply and with a flourish. She straightened up, "I am Lady Yates and you are now in the fair kingdom of Kim Conrad. I purview over my own duchy. Am I correct in guessing you are here to claim your own?"

She nearly jumped when she heard the high but feminine voice. She tried to look behind to find no one only to turn to her front and be met with a pair of bright green eyes. Though that wasn't all, the girl's aura seemed to be splashed with a sea of color that meshed and formed a very specific form around her. She gave a very faint smile as she looked at the girl since she had not seen something so colorful since she left her own realm,

"I am Etain, and I was just wondering about the Common Room. I already know where it is I am suppose to reside, but my things have yet to be sent."

Taking a step back to get a better view she was able to better identify the form connected with her human one, though went past that two her hair,

"Your hair is very pretty, I haven not seen someone who has it so long since I have arrived."

Yasmin blushed when Etain complimented her hair. "Thank you very much." She paused, "Etain," Yasmin let the name roll off her tongue. It was a pretty name for a pretty girl. "We don't get many Etain's around here. If fact, you're the first! For being the first girl with the name Etain, we have a prize! Seriously! Gimme a second." She rubbed her hands together and them put two fingers on her temple. "Ohm. Ohm." She quickly and surprised pointed down the hall, "Look over there!" She quickly pulled a nice yellow flower out of her own hair, whether or not Etain was distracted. "See? For you." She smiled and put it behind Etain's ear. "There, now you have the first Etain of the Dorm Trophy. Now about that Common Room. You can follow me! Or you could not, but I'm going to the Common Room."

The girl was quite amusing, and very energetic. The little flower trick was a rather amusing antic in of itself and it seemed a very nice gesture that brought a smile to her face. Touching the flower slightly before watching her start to the commons room she took a few steps and followed behind.

The room had scarce few people, but it did have a couch that looked rather comfortable. Etain moved across and found herself seated but she kept her eyes on the entertaining girl with the bright well everything. Though a thought occured to her with meeting the girl,

"Do you not have lessons now?"

Yasmin looked at the clock. She knew she was late for something! That was the reason she was leaving! Oh well, it was only the class where they learned things pertaining to stuff. Oh well, stuff would have to wait. She had a new friend. Yasmin plopped down on the couch next to Etain and whispered softly in her ear, "Lady Etain, I have a quest to finish here first." She pulled back and nodded. "Besides, I'm already caught up in my classes." She stood up and looked around. The common room was so... common. She sighed at all the drabness. She grinned again and looked back to Etain, "Lady Etain, would you like to see my quarters? Quite a diverse lot, I have I have!"

"Well if it will finish your quest much more quickly then we should not wait."

She smiled as she trailed behind the girl once more and glanced around the dorms as she walked. The girl's energy seemed to paint the hallways in a faded trail, while she herself seemed to keep an incredibly upbeat pace for a human. Though it was a given that the girl was not to be considered normal, the school itself was not suppose to be for the normal. When they got up the steps and to the door, Etain started to count the numbers because this was floor her room was also suppose to be located. If she was close by maybe she could watch this girls antics to quell any boredom this world might present.

Yasmin was going to show her a stack of quarters in the common room, but then decided against it. She really needed to get out of this drab place. Gently taking Etain by the hand, she did a small curtsy and lead the way. She whistled something that sounded like a cross between 'Lux Aeterna' and a slow reprise of 'Under The Sea'. The two songs blended well together melodically. When they reached her dorm room she stopped whistling and turned to Etain, taking her hand with both ands now. Her tone was very regal, "You are about to enter my domain, Lady Etain. I am proud to be your host. Let my cabeza be your cabeza." She turned to the door pushing it open and deeply bowing. What Etain saw was... ordered chaos. the room was methodically painted with several patterns. They tended to be lighter colors. Easy on the eyes to look at. There were several different weird things strewn across the floor. Some were magical things she collected over the years, others were her personal effects. There seems to be a path through the mess if you looked for it. The paths lead to three or four different locations. A closet, a desk with a laptop, a bunk bed (but instead of a bed on the bottom there was a plush two seater! though it was covered in stuffed animals of various small sizes) and an honest-to-god treasure chest (whether or not it had treasure in it, Etain could not see). There were several lit candles in the room, it smelled like fresh rain. "Welcome to the land of Me," she said quickly standing up with a smile.

"It is very pretty."

Etain entered the room carefully not to step on anything. She skimmed the surroundings occasionally stopping on the stuff animals and some of the more interesting things on the wall but eventually almost instantly made her way to the collection of artifacts. She hadn't seen many magical things since she'd come to the city, wholely because she had spent much of the time indoors attending lessons to get her up to pace with the other students as Ms. Cynthia had advised her to do. She didn't touch but merely examined them closely before saying,

"Where did you obtain these things?"

"Ah, yeah, Eddie's a former student, but he's not with us anymore." Mark's mouth worked for a moment, but it looked like it was a sore subject. "Let's just say that if you screw up badly enough, you can get expelled from here the same as anywhere else. But let's talk about something else." Like a switch had been flipped, Mark brightened. "Hey, you like Chinese? We can get out of here, grab some Chinese, and I'll tell you about the school. Yeah, let's go get Chinese!" Mark, it was already clear, had a very strong personality.

"Nah, we don't need to drive. Listen, Corbin, we keep the school's nature to ourselves when we're not on campus," said Mark seriously, "but when you're on campus, you don't need to worry. This isn't one of those weird mutant-only schools or one of those freaky government places. Around here, superpowers-" And with that there was a flash of black light, and suddenly both young men were standing in an alley that smelled distinctly of Chinese food, "-are your friend. Here, let's go."

Corbin nodded seriously at the first bit of instruction; he definitely didn't want to disclose his powers to the general public.

He smiled as Mark said that he shouldn't be ashamed of his powers.

"I'm glad to hear that's the attitude of both the staff and the students. I think I might just like it at Claremont."

He matched pace with Mark's eager gait.

"But I offered to drive because I like driving, and I wasn't sure what, ah, transportation was available, if you catch my meaning."

Yasmin bounced through the room, not touching any of the things placed on the floor. Like she had memorized where everything was. When she got over to Etain, she looked at the artifact her guest was holding with with a ponderous look on her face. It took her a few seconds, but eventually she smiled, "That, my well cultured friend, comes from the Jade Dragon's Orchid! Very few have been there, but those who make the trip and answer the the question of heart are blessed with his blessing in the form of a crystalline orb that will grant you a minor wish!" She put her hand on Etain's cheek and looked into her eyes with sincerity, "Maybe one day I will show you the way, Lady Etain."

Etain looked at the orb for a few seconds before saying,

"I have learned long ago not to wish so lightly since every wish has a price, always."

Putting it down carefully, she looked around the room again before glancing at the clock. It had been maybe twenty minutes, but she knew it would be longer before they would come with her things. She was a little bit hungry though she didn't want to go to the cafeteria which had cold steel on almost every surface and under every table,

"Are there some food places around here that are good?"

Yasmin smiled, "True wishes come from the heart. Nothing can pervert anything that truly comes from your heart." When Etain looked around the room, Yasmin took her hand back and hummed a slow tune while Etain was looking around. She was cut short with the mention of food. Yasmin thought of many many places they could go, though one stuck out! "I know this place in Lantern Hill! It's called Wintergreen. They have the most delightful teas and pastries." She did a pirouette thinking about the delicacies, and stopped when she got dizzy. "Wanna go? My treat!"

Etain smiled quietly, but thought,

She stood up and did a light clap at the girls performance before saying,

"That sounds very nice, is it very far a walk?"

Walk was the key word, Etain went almost everywhere by walking since even if it left her a bit tired it was far preferable to being trapped in those steel carriages that this world inhabitants seemed so fond of.

"Sure, that's fine."

Inside, Mark ordered a plate of good-tasting Chinese food, making a few suggestions to Corbin about what was best at this place, before they took their seats beneath a gold statue of the Buddha. "I don't get a chance to meet a lot of new people these days," Mark admitted. "I did all my high school stuff, and junior high, at Claremont, even before my special talents showed up. So I don't always get everything people are doing outside of our school. How are things on the outside?" he added, a little grin on his face. "I'm a special case," he added, "so don't worry that you'll have no one normal to talk to here."

Corbin follows Mark's suggestions, figuring the senior knew what he was talking about here.

"Hm. Well, in general terms, the basic classes are similar. History, science, math, English, all those. I went to public school until 9th grade, when my parents switched me to a nice private school. Public school classes are larger, and some teachers don't seem as motivated. Some are great, though; they do a lot with fairly tight budgets. The private school classes were smaller, and a bit better equipped; the teachers seemed more motivated, but I think the fact that they had to put forth more effort for the sake of their job helped. The kids were the same mix in both: slackers and hard workers, jerks and nice people, jocks and nerds, boys and girls, and a whole mix of skin colors, ideas, and so on. Typical teenage stuff. I bet Claremont has "teen drama" too; just a bit more obvious, what with...you know."

He shrugged.

"Were you more curious about school type stuff, or was there something else you'd like "outside experience" on?"