And That's The Way It Is (IC)

It was a couple of days after the future version of Jack's son had arrived from a time and place that the younger (or was it older) man was still cagey about discussing. Jack found that a refreshingly healthy attitude given all the openness in the heroes he'd had to work with in the past year and a half; it was good to know a certain amount of sensible caution had come down the line to his scion. All that was a little hard to believe, true, but there was no denying his wife's conclusions and the evidence of his eyes. My son is going to live. Everything's going to be okay.

They'd put JJ up in the guest bedroom, one of many in the huge house Jack had inherited from Melinda, and one day when Taylor had Jack Jr. (his way of keeping the two apart) away visiting Stesha and Derrick, Jack went to visit his son by means of a route very familiar to JJ from his childhood: his father walked up to his closed bedroom door, ducked underneath it, and appeared inside his room. "Hello, uh, son. You want to go do something?"

JJ started at the sudden voice behind him and took a quick calming breath as he dismissed the forcefield he had summoned upon being surprised and turned on his heel to face his father, or the person who would grow to be the father he knew at least. It was definitely taking some getting used to not only being displaced in time but also how eerily familiar living with his parents once more was. In the end he couldn't wait for the bureaucratic strings they had pulled to reap him a new Identity to function under while he was here.

He nodded to Jack, "That sounds good. Have anything in mind?" He asked hopeful that he might get learn some trick fo the trade from one of the greats, "Maybe you can show me the ropes get me familiar with the scene here?"

"Sure," said Jack, trying fiercely to think of something he liked that a normal person would like. I got nothin' "I was thinking we could maybe go see a baseball game?" he suggested, his voice going up as he asked a question. "There's a Comets/Cubs exhibition game that would be good, I guess." Jack didn't really follow sports. "But in the meantime, why don't we talk politics? How's the situation on the ground where you're from? You know...for us." He led the way out of the room as they talked, heading for the study that had been the scene of so many arguments, then later so much family bonding, over the years.

Jack winced inwardly, "You know that stuff really isn't accurate at this point. My presence here now is bound to upset what comes to be." he explained with a small sigh. His father was trying though so he'd meet him half way, "Besides you need to trust your instincts not second guess yourself with what I tell you might be." he said with confidence as he followed, "Why don't you tell me what its like now? You never really talked much about the early days when i was growing up." As the reached the study he looked it over even already it was as Jack would have it for years to come. Well aside from a few art pieces that would likely be broken over the years one way or another. "You know you're doing the right thing with what you're trying, would it really change your mind knowing if it does or doesn't work?"

"It would, actually." Jack picked up the shimmering knife on his desk, the one he'd taken from the Luddite in one of his first adventures, and tossed it back and forth hand to hand. "I've recently gotten an education in the failure state of vampire politics. If I thought it was going badly, I'd leave town, and I'd try and get your mother to do the same. And yes, I know she can handle herself. That's the problem. Too many people have already died because I decided to be better than I was." He flipped the knife around. "Things are all right now, though," he admitted. "The people who are with me are doing what they should, and so far everyone who's stood against me has died or is in hiding." He looked up at JJ and asked, "Are my hands clean, at least? Can you tell me that?"

JJ leaned on the door frame in a languid pose a smile dancing on the edge of his lips, "Would I have been coming here first thing when it all went south if they weren't?" He asked rhetorically, "You know better than I how vampires do their thing." he said plainly, "You kept me out of most all of it most of what I know is second hand from books and a few contacts." he lied as he had spent a stint with some of hte harsher elements in his teen years, "Will they be reformed wholesale? No and you know that. But you are now and will be then proof that it can be different."

"Being appreciated for that, and not how much better I am than those evil vampires...that means a lot, son." He hmmed. "What can I tell you? Stay out of the West Side if you can. Lantern Jack doesn't let any vampires into Lantern Hill, and I have no idea how he'd feel about you. The West End is different, the Interceptors there aren't threats, they're just...well, you met the king yourself," said Avenger thoughtfully. "Too dangerous in their own way. As for vampire politics, there are people, friends of mine, who'd want to meet you, even though who you are would have to stay between us. Dhampirs can mean something more than evil to the right people."

JJ offered up a half grin that was like looking into a mirror for a moment, "Yes I'm sure I'd be of interest to many parties." he said with a shrug, "Some even for the right reasons but I understand caution." he explained with an easy nod. "So you don't have organized opposition? I'd think there'd be quite a few still yearning for the good ol days." he said the last with a sarcastic lilt well aware tey were anything but.

"I have no organized opposition. At this time. That I am aware of." Jack gave his son a feral, predatory sort of smile. "And if you are my son, and if you grew up the way I suspect you're going to grow up, you know what that means. This is not a safe city for people like us, nor is it likely to be. Nor should be it be, really. I trust that I don't need to tell you to be careful. I have enemies everywhere, and most of them will be worse enemies of yours. And then there's your mother." He shook his head, a look of genuine awe on his lean face. "Frankly, I prefer not to think about the sort of things that will be gunning for any son of Phantom's. Vampires are challenging enough on their own."

JJ nodded eyes looking far older than his face would suggest. "Yes mothers enemies are ... worrisome." he said with a nod, "I actually however am better prepared for them than most would be." he said without ego he knew even with his minimal training he was likely to be one of the more potent mystics of the era. He sauntered the rest of the way into the room and sat in one of the overstuffed chairs, "But a nature such as mine does certainly lead to some questions." he agreed, "Even among those who would be allies." as Jack well knew the tension between heroes and even 'good' monsters.

"Do you hunger?" Those were three loaded words coming from his father, who'd treated his own feedings as just a basic part of life for nearly as long as JJ could remember. "Or are you just a man with the blood of a monster in his veins?" With JJ sitting, Jack found himself on his feet, pacing the room with the restless energy of a predator. "I wondered that for so long, you know? Thank God for your mother's blessings making sure my own abilities were...displaced. Is that still true?" he asked JJ. "I've noticed that you've walked the path of her career far more than mine. I have to say, I think I see her hand in that. And good for her in the bargain."

"Yes." He replied plainly. "But I do not need it." he elaborated, "So I hold back." his words only hinted at the will required for such a feat.

He paused for a moment and looked to his father, "I am best suited to follow in her footsteps." he explained with a small shrug, "It is also easier not to tempt myself with drawing too heavily upon my gifts from you." he revealed as he looked to his father, "I am also very young as a Dhampir and pushing as you have done will not speed my maturation. If I did follow your ways I would likely have some larger skill but my power is more tied to my age than even yours." he explained without obvious emotion.

"Yes," Jack agreed, and in that syllable was an understanding neither man could have expressed to the humans in their lives. There was always a price to pay in magic; the price for magic that came from the dead was particularly dear. "Do you have a girl?" he suddenly asked JJ. "Back where you're from, I mean. Surely you can tell me that: I mean you're handsome, charismatic, obviously women like vampires," he said with a faint shrug. "And from the sound of things, you could get away with that where you live."

JJ actually blushed, "Ahh not exactly?" he said as he shifted awkwardly. "There is someone but ... There are difficulties, I actually hope to be able to rectify some of those now that I am here but I have difficulty understanding courtship among humans truth be told." he said awkwardly as trying to butter up her parents before she was conceived was a tricky proposition at best. "Of course she's not exactly mortal either..." he trailed off an oddly whistfull look on his face as he thought of the night omnipotent force he had fallen for.

"Trust me," said Jack reassuringly. "Those are overrated. Women are looking for charm, for weight, for depth. Show them that you're worth having, and you'll..." He debated telling JJ the story of he and his mother's first date, but decided that was probably beyond what the younger man would ever, ever want to know. "Well, you'll be had. I'd advise you to date outside your kind, though. Eternal vampire relationships tend to go in unpleasant directions."

JJ smirked, "Yes I avoid our kind by and large. It is to difficult to avoid the power plays and brinksmanship that are so interwoven into the society. "She is different though I still do not know if she returns my feelings." he said a little sadly, "I can only hope." he added with a shrug, "For now it is a moot point though I suppose."