Stat Yourself [Elseworlds/What If?] [IC]

Heridfel

"I know I'm not the only person who thinks I'm in a comic book."

"I know Freedom City," Bailey said. Her face was red and she looked completely flustered. "But this clearly isn't a comic book. I mean . . . just look around. This place is real. Just look . . ."

It was just then that Bailey noticed that Lila wasn't there to look at anymore. She squeezed the girls arm, but the sensation of squeezing something she couldn't see was very disquieting. She jerked her arm back and nearly fell over herself trying to step back.

"Lila? What happened?"

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I know Freedom City," Bailey said. Her face was red and she looked completely flustered. "But this clearly isn't a comic book. I mean . . . just look around. This place is real. Just look . . ."

It was just then that Bailey noticed that Lila wasn't there to look at anymore. She squeezed the girls arm, but the sensation of squeezing something she couldn't see was very disquieting. She jerked her arm back and nearly fell over herself trying to step back.

"Lila? What happened?"

"Lila? What happened?"

"We're here from ASTRO Labs to see if anyone witnessed a dimensional transfer. The particulars of the transfer seem to have varied by location."

Joey's anger seems to dissipate slightly at the sight of two people stammering apologies to him. Usually things seemed to work out the other way around. He feels a little bad, but it's been an annoying day, and being asked metaphysical questions by a stranger in a strange town is always weird. "Astro Labs? Why do I know that name?"

"We're here from ASTRO Labs to see if anyone witnessed a dimensional transfer. The particulars of the transfer seem to have varied by location."

Joey's anger seems to dissipate slightly at the sight of two people stammering apologies to him. Usually things seemed to work out the other way around. He feels a little bad, but it's been an annoying day, and being asked metaphysical questions by a stranger in a strange town is always weird. "Astro Labs? Why do I know that name?"

"Well, it is based out of Freedom City. If you traveled here, then you're probably aware of that," James says. In a lower voice, he continues, "Of course, if you were one of the transferees, you might not. A person who came from another dimension might think that Freedom City only exists within comic books, for example. That would be pretty disconcerting to anyone."

He's doing his best to drop hints to the man, without giving away the fact that he is also one of the people caught up in this. After all, if he's wrong, then he doesn't want to be reported. It seems like most of the people from other dimensions who come to Freedom City aren't interested in doing good, and he has no desire to be locked up for whatever crime they could drum up against him.

"Well, it is based out of Freedom City. If you traveled here, then you're probably aware of that," James says. In a lower voice, he continues, "Of course, if you were one of the transferees, you might not. A person who came from another dimension might think that Freedom City only exists within comic books, for example. That would be pretty disconcerting to anyone."

He's doing his best to drop hints to the man, without giving away the fact that he is also one of the people caught up in this. After all, if he's wrong, then he doesn't want to be reported. It seems like most of the people from other dimensions who come to Freedom City aren't interested in doing good, and he has no desire to be locked up for whatever crime they could drum up against him.

"Let's not talk disconcerting. OK, so I'm in Freedom City. Great. How do I get home? I mean if we're actually in a comic book world, and thus working under the uses of comic book science, and if you're actually working for the cutting edge science organization of this world, then you must have a transporter stored at your base somewhere. Or have I been brought here for a purpose? To stabilize the world? I'd ask if I've become misplaced in the time stream, but since we're not in the Marvel-verse, I doubt that's the case." About this time the waitress comes back with Joey's drink, smiling the perfect waitress smile. "I didn't know you were expecting more people. Can I get you gentlemen some menus?

"Let's not talk disconcerting. OK, so I'm in Freedom City. Great. How do I get home? I mean if we're actually in a comic book world, and thus working under the uses of comic book science, and if you're actually working for the cutting edge science organization of this world, then you must have a transporter stored at your base somewhere. Or have I been brought here for a purpose? To stabilize the world? I'd ask if I've become misplaced in the time stream, but since we're not in the Marvel-verse, I doubt that's the case." About this time the waitress comes back with Joey's drink, smiling the perfect waitress smile. "I didn't know you were expecting more people. Can I get you gentlemen some menus?

seanavatar.jpg

Sean was looking at Lila when she disappeared - first she was there, and then he was looking at asphalt. A tide of energy washed over him, landing in his belly - to make space for itself, the energy kicked his vocal chords and Sean couldn't help but emit a startled, "Woah!" He also jumped back half a foot. He glances quickly at the others, "Did you just see that?" Without thinking, he reaches forward to the space that he though Lila has disappeared from - of course she was still very much there. He got his second shock in as many seconds when he jabbed Lila's shoulder, "Oh jeese! Sorry - are you still there?"

seanavatar.jpg

Sean was looking at Lila when she disappeared - first she was there, and then he was looking at asphalt. A tide of energy washed over him, landing in his belly - to make space for itself, the energy kicked his vocal chords and Sean couldn't help but emit a startled, "Woah!" He also jumped back half a foot. He glances quickly at the others, "Did you just see that?" Without thinking, he reaches forward to the space that he though Lila has disappeared from - of course she was still very much there. He got his second shock in as many seconds when he jabbed Lila's shoulder, "Oh jeese! Sorry - are you still there?"

seanavatar.jpg

R.J. watched with sick fascination as a girl disappeared. And watched with sicker fascination as Sean's hand hit air, and crumpled like one of those high-speed camera's of a fist punching glass.

Everything in R.J.'s visual memory told him that what he was seeing was Wrong.

This was going to be a major headache later in the day. R.J knew what stress like this did to him. Your blood vessels can't hold tension for that long. They start to shred and tear. You microscopically hemorrhage all throughout your brain. It causes intense Cluster Migraines. The fun kind. If by fun....

R.J. watched with sick fascination as a girl disappeared. And watched with sicker fascination as Sean's hand hit air, and crumpled like one of those high-speed camera's of a fist punching glass.

This was going to be a major headache later in the day. R.J knew what stress like this did to him. Your blood vessels can't hold tension for that long. They start to shred and tear. You microscopically hemorrhage all throughout your brain. It causes intense Cluster Migraines. The fun kind. If by fun....

Tony perks up abit when he hear's Joey triage of quesions and suggestions. There can be no doubt now that he is also a recent arrival to this existance. Nodding his head in agreement, Tony has all of the same questions in his head, same worries....same wants.

Tony was about to ask Joey if they could join him at the table when the waitress appeared and asked if they wanted a menu. Suddenly, Tony's hunger was a thing alive, gnawing at him from inside...creating a load irratating grumble from his belly that could be heard by those near. While the sound is loud, it is the sudden darkening about the area that frightens everyone. Like a dimmer being turned on, the lights seem to dim for a few moments, before returning to normal luminosity. Another waitress walking nearby stage whispers to the one nxt to them "I told Herm that he need to get those power lines looked at....I am not working in the dark again!" "Yeah....I could use something to eat and drink. That is if you don't mind?" He asks Joey before he starts to order.

Tony perks up abit when he hear's Joey triage of quesions and suggestions. There can be no doubt now that he is also a recent arrival to this existance. Nodding his head in agreement, Tony has all of the same questions in his head, same worries....same wants.

Tony was about to ask Joey if they could join him at the table when the waitress appeared and asked if they wanted a menu. Suddenly, Tony's hunger was a thing alive, gnawing at him from inside...creating a load irratating grumble from his belly that could be heard by those near. While the sound is loud, it is the sudden darkening about the area that frightens everyone. Like a dimmer being turned on, the lights seem to dim for a few moments, before returning to normal luminosity. Another waitress walking nearby stage whispers to the one nxt to them "I told Herm that he need to get those power lines looked at....I am not working in the dark again!" "Yeah....I could use something to eat and drink. That is if you don't mind?" He asks Joey before he starts to order.

Joey gestures broadly at the table, hand sweeping as if he where showing it off like a prize on a game show. "Oh please, sit. It'll be so much less awkward that way. With food there's always somewhere else to look and not feel weird about it. So then," Joey says, looking to the man who had originally brought up ASTRO labs, "does ASTRO labs have any of that stuff I asked about?"

Joey gestures broadly at the table, hand sweeping as if he where showing it off like a prize on a game show. "Oh please, sit. It'll be so much less awkward that way. With food there's always somewhere else to look and not feel weird about it. So then," Joey says, looking to the man who had originally brought up ASTRO labs, "does ASTRO labs have any of that stuff I asked about?"

James looks up as the lights flicker, frowning slightly to himself. It's hard to tell whether it's his eyes going bad or something else - it seems like it's been getting darker around him lately.

When the man offers them a seat, he nods, pulling over a chair from an empty table nearby. To the waitress, he says, "Just water for me, thanks." He waits for her to leave before continuing.

"Safe guess is that they have something. Based on how often Johnny Rocket or Johnny Rotten crosses over to somewhere, they seem to have some level of transportational capabilities. That said, we have no idea what the vibrational frequency of our universe is, or even if it is existing on the same plane. It could... I don't know. It might take magic, but I really don't know much about that. All I know is that comic book magic has fewer rules than comic book science, even," James says.

"And as for stabilizing the timeline, you got me beat. It's not like when I crossed over, there was a sign that said 'Welcome to Freedom City. Your reason for being here is...' " he says, sighing. "It'd've been nice, but no. Still, it could be worse. We could have shown up in Gotham because Superboy Prime punched something again." He half-smiles at his own joke, but given where they are, it looks like he's having a hard time considering it a joke.