Stat Yourself [Elseworlds/What If?] [IC]

Heridfel

James steps out of his car and looks around. There's no one in the water (no surprise there - even with the weather unseasonably warm, the water is still probably only a few degrees above freezing), but the nearby boardwalk is lit up. He furrows his brow and tries to recall what he could about the Boardwalk district.

"Alright, the big advantage we have is that we know more about the secrets of this world than most anyone. The Boardwalk is the most upscale part of Southside, but there are still quite a few folks with mob ties," he says quietly to Tony. "If this were the real world, it probably wouldn't mean anything. But if you're right about us being brought here for a reason, then there's a good chance we could run into something more exciting. There was one incursion point back along the road, and this is the first exit after it. The person from our world might be here, or he might be long gone. I guess... just look for somebody who looks like we look," he says with a half-smile. "Dazed and confused."

When Tony steps out of the car, James leans back in and puts on the Club, then closes his door and locks the car with his keyfob. He then starts walking up the boardwalk, keeping his eyes open for anything unusual. Of course, that's somewhat relative in Freedom City.

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

James steps out of his car and looks around. There's no one in the water (no surprise there - even with the weather unseasonably warm, the water is still probably only a few degrees above freezing), but the nearby boardwalk is lit up. He furrows his brow and tries to recall what he could about the Boardwalk district.

"Alright, the big advantage we have is that we know more about the secrets of this world than most anyone. The Boardwalk is the most upscale part of Southside, but there are still quite a few folks with mob ties," he says quietly to Tony. "If this were the real world, it probably wouldn't mean anything. But if you're right about us being brought here for a reason, then there's a good chance we could run into something more exciting. There was one incursion point back along the road, and this is the first exit after it. The person from our world might be here, or he might be long gone. I guess... just look for somebody who looks like we look," he says with a half-smile. "Dazed and confused."

When Tony steps out of the car, James leans back in and puts on the Club, then closes his door and locks the car with his keyfob. He then starts walking up the boardwalk, keeping his eyes open for anything unusual. Of course, that's somewhat relative in Freedom City.

Joey turns and looks at the people he sees, no that's not right, he feels moving up the boardwalk. This is a sensation that will take some getting used to. Though it is amusing to see just how much time the waitress is killing doing nothing. 'Ah yes. Food service industry. Not a job I miss.' For no good reason other then boredom, Joey looks out the window at the other people on the boardwalk again. Two of them seem to be more....excited? 'Not the right word, but it'll have to do' then the others. He wonders idly what there talking about for a moment when he sense the waitress coming toward him. "Uh, yes, a Mt. Dew and the Southwestern Burger please."

Joe shifts in his seat to his more traditional Indian style. It takes a few beats, but he notices that he no longer feels people moving around him in such a wide circle. 'Weird' Trying to look like he's just fidgeting in his seat, Joe puts his feet back on the floor and the circle returns. 'What the #%*! is going on?'

Joey turns and looks at the people he sees, no that's not right, he feels moving up the boardwalk. This is a sensation that will take some getting used to. Though it is amusing to see just how much time the waitress is killing doing nothing. 'Ah yes. Food service industry. Not a job I miss.' For no good reason other then boredom, Joey looks out the window at the other people on the boardwalk again. Two of them seem to be more....excited? 'Not the right word, but it'll have to do' then the others. He wonders idly what there talking about for a moment when he sense the waitress coming toward him. "Uh, yes, a Mt. Dew and the Southwestern Burger please."

Joe shifts in his seat to his more traditional Indian style. It takes a few beats, but he notices that he no longer feels people moving around him in such a wide circle. 'Weird' Trying to look like he's just fidgeting in his seat, Joe puts his feet back on the floor and the circle returns. 'What the #%*! is going on?'

Tony nods at James' comments as he gets out of the car. Looking out along the boardwalk, Tony notices all of the people walking along it...finding someone here will be difficult. "So...we are looking for someone who might be acting strange in a place where anything we could possibly think of could happen? Yeah....that is going to be easy." Spreading apart from James a few feet, yet staying within conversation distance, Tony continues," Seriously James, Exactly how are we going to recognize this person? I mean, you finding me had to be luck." All the while, Tony scans the crowd to locate someone who seems "out of place".

Tony nods at James' comments as he gets out of the car. Looking out along the boardwalk, Tony notices all of the people walking along it...finding someone here will be difficult. "So...we are looking for someone who might be acting strange in a place where anything we could possibly think of could happen? Yeah....that is going to be easy." Spreading apart from James a few feet, yet staying within conversation distance, Tony continues," Seriously James, Exactly how are we going to recognize this person? I mean, you finding me had to be luck." All the while, Tony scans the crowd to locate someone who seems "out of place".

Lila recognized the name of the comic book store immediately. She was about to say something incredibly witty about about these guys violating Green Ronin's intellectual property rights, when her thought was interrupted.

"Hey! Hey, listen, I think I'm a little... um, lost?" He suddenly stops short of them about 10 feet, his face twisted as his mind churns through memories, "Do I know you?"

"I don't think so," Lila said. She took a step back from the stranger. The guy's face looked familiar, but his accent certainly didn't. Lila didn't know anyone from Australia.

Lila recognized the name of the comic book store immediately. She was about to say something incredibly witty about about these guys violating Green Ronin's intellectual property rights, when her thought was interrupted.

"Hey! Hey, listen, I think I'm a little... um, lost?" He suddenly stops short of them about 10 feet, his face twisted as his mind churns through memories, "Do I know you?"

"I don't think so," Lila said. She took a step back from the stranger. The guy's face looked familiar, but his accent certainly didn't. Lila didn't know anyone from Australia.

"Luck... fate... the fact that you were the only guy who wasn't indoors at the time..." he says the last one with a grin. "Seriously, you're right that I was lucky to come across you, and that was only a little while after I crossed over. It's been even longer since then. And there's no way that we could get to the other locations before anyone there moves away. I've been trying to think of how we can find folks like us, but I don't like the answers. If you or I can do it, so can other people... and that makes me nervous, for whatever reason. Daedalus finding us - good. Talos finding us - bad."

He keeps walking along, slowly. He knew his plan wasn't a very good one when he said it, and he knew that he'd have to take his head out of the sand eventually. But this is so strange that he's just focusing on what he can do right now, and putting off the hard questions until he is ready for the answers. Right now, all that comes to mind is, "I need to get a shave, or else I know someone will think I'm my own evil twin."

"Actually, the best thing we can do now is start asking around. That's what I'm supposed to be doing, anyway - seeing if anyone witnessed something sufficiently unusual for Freedom City to be noteworthy. I don't know what exactly I'm looking for, but it sounded like my analog did," James says to Tony.

He turns to a random passerby and asks, "Pardon me. Did you see anything unusual about," he checks his watch, "an hour and 25 minutes ago, down by the freeway exit?"

"Luck... fate... the fact that you were the only guy who wasn't indoors at the time..." he says the last one with a grin. "Seriously, you're right that I was lucky to come across you, and that was only a little while after I crossed over. It's been even longer since then. And there's no way that we could get to the other locations before anyone there moves away. I've been trying to think of how we can find folks like us, but I don't like the answers. If you or I can do it, so can other people... and that makes me nervous, for whatever reason. Daedalus finding us - good. Talos finding us - bad."

He keeps walking along, slowly. He knew his plan wasn't a very good one when he said it, and he knew that he'd have to take his head out of the sand eventually. But this is so strange that he's just focusing on what he can do right now, and putting off the hard questions until he is ready for the answers. Right now, all that comes to mind is, "I need to get a shave, or else I know someone will think I'm my own evil twin."

"Actually, the best thing we can do now is start asking around. That's what I'm supposed to be doing, anyway - seeing if anyone witnessed something sufficiently unusual for Freedom City to be noteworthy. I don't know what exactly I'm looking for, but it sounded like my analog did," James says to Tony.

He turns to a random passerby and asks, "Pardon me. Did you see anything unusual about," he checks his watch, "an hour and 25 minutes ago, down by the freeway exit?"

"OK...asking is easy. It is the answers I am worried about," with that Tony splits off from James...sliding trough the people to get some distance between him and James. As he moved through the boardwalk throng, Tony noticed that many did not seem to be paying him any attention, sometimes coming close to colliding with him. At first it was helpful...but the further he went, the more annoying it got. Didn't these people look where they were going? After three almost collisions in just ten feet, Tony decided that he needed to get out of this moving obstacle course.

Sliding in the first door he finds, Tony is suddenly standing in a resturant, standing in a small waiting area with a sign saying "Please Wait to be Seated". Suddenly, Tony's stomach growls...who knew how long it has been since he ate. Dammit...not now. Wow...that smells great. Maybe I can get something to go. As Tony glances out among the seated people, looking for some sort of posted menu, he notices someone doing some sort of weird calistenics while sitting in his chair...Well, that certainly qualifies as being out of place...I wonder...with that thought, Tony brazenly walks towards the chair-bound swimmer, to hell with the sign.

"OK...asking is easy. It is the answers I am worried about," with that Tony splits off from James...sliding trough the people to get some distance between him and James. As he moved through the boardwalk throng, Tony noticed that many did not seem to be paying him any attention, sometimes coming close to colliding with him. At first it was helpful...but the further he went, the more annoying it got. Didn't these people look where they were going? After three almost collisions in just ten feet, Tony decided that he needed to get out of this moving obstacle course.

Sliding in the first door he finds, Tony is suddenly standing in a resturant, standing in a small waiting area with a sign saying "Please Wait to be Seated". Suddenly, Tony's stomach growls...who knew how long it has been since he ate. Dammit...not now. Wow...that smells great. Maybe I can get something to go. As Tony glances out among the seated people, looking for some sort of posted menu, he notices someone doing some sort of weird calistenics while sitting in his chair...Well, that certainly qualifies as being out of place...I wonder...with that thought, Tony brazenly walks towards the chair-bound swimmer, to hell with the sign.

Bailey didn't recognize the man's face or his accent either.

"Please, I'm not insane, but I don't think I'm supposed to be here. I was in Springfield Missouri last night, and Now I don't know where I am."

"You're in Richmond, Virginia" she said looking around at the skyline. "Or at least that's where this is supposed to be.

"Please, I'm not insane, but I don't think I'm supposed to be here. I was in Springfield Missouri last night, and Now I don't know where I am."

"You're in Richmond, Virginia" she said looking around at the skyline. "Or at least that's where this is supposed to be.

"Sean, Bailey, Lila, It's a pleasure to meet you. He shakes each one's hand as it's offered. His handshake is strong and direct without being overbearing. Well, maybe a little overbearing. His accent is a muddled mess of dialects, but there is an undertone of American Southern, of the Aristocratic Cultured Slow-talking variety. Plantation Owning Southerner. You get the distinct impression that the rest of that accent comes out, only later. When tired, or when his guard is down.

I'm R.J. , R.J. Alban. Did you say Richmond Virgina?"

R.J. is in his head for the briefest of seconds. Did the girls give him their names? Of course they did.

He looks around. His movement and manner are avian, but direct. Like an Owl. The skyline isn't right for Richmond. At all. In fact in all most looks like... No. That can't be right. But all he needs to see is Starbase coffee and the pieces begin to fall into place. Other things. Theres a newspaper machine. It certainly doesn't say Springfield News Leader on it. Nor, does it say the Richmond Times-Dispatch.

Under his breath..."This is some kind of Elaborate pr..." The thought is a repeat from a few minutes ago. But his head is racing a mile a minute. He's discarding possibilities, and constructing scenarios on the fly. He seems visibly distracted and back in his head. He says out loud to no-one in particular: "What do you guys know about a Comic Company called Mutants and Masterminds?"

"Sean, Bailey, Lila, It's a pleasure to meet you. He shakes each one's hand as it's offered. His handshake is strong and direct without being overbearing. Well, maybe a little overbearing. His accent is a muddled mess of dialects, but there is an undertone of American Southern, of the Aristocratic Cultured Slow-talking variety. Plantation Owning Southerner. You get the distinct impression that the rest of that accent comes out, only later. When tired, or when his guard is down.

R.J. is in his head for the briefest of seconds. Did the girls give him their names? Of course they did.

He looks around. His movement and manner are avian, but direct. Like an Owl. The skyline isn't right for Richmond. At all. In fact in all most looks like... No. That can't be right. But all he needs to see is Starbase coffee and the pieces begin to fall into place. Other things. Theres a newspaper machine. It certainly doesn't say Springfield News Leader on it. Nor, does it say the Richmond Times-Dispatch.

Under his breath..."This is some kind of Elaborate pr..." The thought is a repeat from a few minutes ago. But his head is racing a mile a minute. He's discarding possibilities, and constructing scenarios on the fly. He seems visibly distracted and back in his head. He says out loud to no-one in particular: "What do you guys know about a Comic Company called Mutants and Masterminds?"

seanavatar.jpg

Sean smiled at the comic name the new arrival, R.J, gave them. "Hehe, yeah. I think you're onto something there." There was relief in Sean's voice - he was glad he wasn't the only person who thought this place was Freedom City. He takes a step closer to R.J, speaking directly to him, "I'm pretty sure we're in Freedom City, and I don't think that this is Candid Camera. Or, if it is, they're doing a bloody good job. Either way, I think I'm gonna run with it for a little while. It's not something you get to do everyday, huh?" He turns back to the girls, he has a sympathetic look on his face "Freedom City is a... hm," he looks at R.J, as if searching for words, then back to the girls, "If you're lost like we are, there's this comic back home about...this...place." It's then he realises that the girls, if fact, came out of Millenium Comics. His face crunches up into a question, "You guys don't read comics, do you?" At this point, he hopes to the Powers that they don't. He's made that mistake before and came off every bit a patronising as he was being.