Freedom City PbP Ideas

Endless Flight

That brings up another question. "Is the game lethal or non-lethal? I ma not sure we can do both, can we?

I don't see why not. I think that should be left open, and let each individual player decide it for themselves. Generally I think the sentiment will be no, absoltely not, simply due to the fact that you really don't want to piss off another player, particularily one who's your arch nemesis and that you'd be likely to have a hecuva lot of fun with if you let them live. That's a very OOC way of thinking about it, but that's how it is in effect, and if you

Another thing is a lesson from the Bible; Do onto others as you would have done onto yourself... or something you get the point; If you kill your opponent, you'd better expect the same in return, and when it comes to superhero vs supervillain win ratio, the balance is somewhat in the hero department. Not to mention that there's quite a good chance that heroes could adopt a cop mentality; you kill one of our own, we're coming to get you, and we're going to make an example out of you...

So in general I'd say leave it open, and see how it works out. If it turns into a bad rehash of the Iron Age, then it's time for a Crisis, followed by a few rule adjustments...

(PS: Dammit I hate the button set up, I keep hitting save instead of subit! Grumble... that said the site's looking dang fine EF.)

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That brings up another question. "Is the game lethal or non-lethal? I ma not sure we can do both, can we?

I don't see why not. I think that should be left open, and let each individual player decide it for themselves. Generally I think the sentiment will be no, absoltely not, simply due to the fact that you really don't want to piss off another player, particularily one who's your arch nemesis and that you'd be likely to have a hecuva lot of fun with if you let them live. That's a very OOC way of thinking about it, but that's how it is in effect, and if you

Another thing is a lesson from the Bible; Do onto others as you would have done onto yourself... or something you get the point; If you kill your opponent, you'd better expect the same in return, and when it comes to superhero vs supervillain win ratio, the balance is somewhat in the hero department. Not to mention that there's quite a good chance that heroes could adopt a cop mentality; you kill one of our own, we're coming to get you, and we're going to make an example out of you...

So in general I'd say leave it open, and see how it works out. If it turns into a bad rehash of the Iron Age, then it's time for a Crisis, followed by a few rule adjustments...

(PS: Dammit I hate the button set up, I keep hitting save instead of subit! Grumble... that said the site's looking dang fine EF.)

By the way, on characters; all original or should players be given an option to take over an existing Freedom City character? Because otherwise I think we need to kill off a few of them, or poor old FC is going to become awfully crowded with supers in the near future...

By the way, on characters; all original or should players be given an option to take over an existing Freedom City character? Because otherwise I think we need to kill off a few of them, or poor old FC is going to become awfully crowded with supers in the near future...

I don't really think anyone needs to be killed off, Freedom City is quite vast, and places like Marvel New York are canonically /rife/ with heroes and it goes alright. Similar to Astro City as well, one of the big inspirations for the game.

Beyond that, the Freedom League are often up in that satelite or puttering off across the world somewhere, doesn't have to be like they themselves are around all the time.

Anyway.. I'm personally cool with the pl5/Pl10 thing (and I'd rather not redo the character reaallly..)

My only suggestion is that there should be at least some referee initiated stuff as things go along, just to keep players encouraged along. A storyline here and there, a one off scene for various characters, such things.

I don't really think anyone needs to be killed off, Freedom City is quite vast, and places like Marvel New York are canonically /rife/ with heroes and it goes alright. Similar to Astro City as well, one of the big inspirations for the game.

Beyond that, the Freedom League are often up in that satelite or puttering off across the world somewhere, doesn't have to be like they themselves are around all the time.

Anyway.. I'm personally cool with the pl5/Pl10 thing (and I'd rather not redo the character reaallly..)

My only suggestion is that there should be at least some referee initiated stuff as things go along, just to keep players encouraged along. A storyline here and there, a one off scene for various characters, such things.

I figured as much, that most - players in particular - would have something against that, and I wasn't aware when I posted that that several characters had already been posted, I thought we were still in the planning stages...

Anyway I just wanted to say that I don't agree at all with the low/no base attack or defense thing that H4H brought up. The game is perfectly balanced the way it is; Attack Focus (Ranged) for example is just the regular attack bonus flawed to only work on ranged stuff... so throw something at him were he can't use his long ranged abilities if you want to punsh the character for that, although if it's a pure blaster type then I don't see a reason why he should have melee training unless it's in his background. If you want to restrict it then only allow regular attack bonus to apply to grapple checks, as that's something that's going to come back and haunt someone with a too low BAB a lot, even if they're pretty strong. Dodge Focus I don't see any problem with either, since if you're caught flatfooted - and someone who's familiar with your character will figure out how at some point - then you lose all of it. If you got some base defense then at least half of that will keep up no matter what, but otherwise if someone scores 10 on an attack roll, you're in trouble.

The other rules stuff brought up do apply fully however, but on a case by case basis as mentioned. Some characters the Requires Check flaw works perfectly with (although introducing a critical failure rule is something to concider), while for others it's a cheap way to save points on.

I figured as much, that most - players in particular - would have something against that, and I wasn't aware when I posted that that several characters had already been posted, I thought we were still in the planning stages...

Anyway I just wanted to say that I don't agree at all with the low/no base attack or defense thing that H4H brought up. The game is perfectly balanced the way it is; Attack Focus (Ranged) for example is just the regular attack bonus flawed to only work on ranged stuff... so throw something at him were he can't use his long ranged abilities if you want to punsh the character for that, although if it's a pure blaster type then I don't see a reason why he should have melee training unless it's in his background. If you want to restrict it then only allow regular attack bonus to apply to grapple checks, as that's something that's going to come back and haunt someone with a too low BAB a lot, even if they're pretty strong. Dodge Focus I don't see any problem with either, since if you're caught flatfooted - and someone who's familiar with your character will figure out how at some point - then you lose all of it. If you got some base defense then at least half of that will keep up no matter what, but otherwise if someone scores 10 on an attack roll, you're in trouble.

The other rules stuff brought up do apply fully however, but on a case by case basis as mentioned. Some characters the Requires Check flaw works perfectly with (although introducing a critical failure rule is something to concider), while for others it's a cheap way to save points on.