Doktor Archeville

Dozens of scenarios raced through Viktor's mind.  Stay and confront this Grue, subdue and restrain him, but let who-knows-what continue above?  Rush outside to see what was happening, knowing the cultist would flee, to wreck havoc another day?  Split the party, some stay to prevent the Grue from escaping while others see what's happening above?  No, chances were not good that divided resources would be adequate for either task.

Crraaapppp

"Agreed," he grunted, already reconfirguring his internal systems for faster flight.  "Starshot," he called out, "we fly!"  He sneered at the lead cultist, but said nothing, instead turning and zipping towards the exit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GM

When Doktor Archeville confirmed they were going outside to investigate what might be going on, Kinarr flew over towards Starshot, slowing down slightly as he neared the hunter. The young Star Khan extended out one armored gauntlet to the human, and when Starshot used his bionic arm to firmly grasp the offered hand, the Zultasian continued forward, lifting his passenger onto the air as well. Once certain Starshot had a firm grip, Kinarr accelerated, following after the other human.

The three zipped through the caverns much faster than their careful pace when initially exploring them, soon emerging back into the planet’s atmosphere. Flying up out of the ravine, they found that the Sarcota were starting to act rather erratically, two of the large beast actually colliding with each other not far away, causing both to turn away and head in other directions. There did not appear to be any significant injury to either, but such a collision would likely be catastrophic to any of the Lor power equipment arrayed out as far as the eye could see to the east.

Starshot

"That doesn't look right..." said Starshot, through his helmet intercom. 

"Was it the spell? Something has disorientated them. If they keep bumping into each other like that, they could start a chain reaction."

Which would not be good. 

"Doc, do you think we can try to communicate with them?"

All the while, he was wondering why... why would the Grue tamper with the Sarcota (although it was not entirely clear they were). Why? Was this an act of sabotage? trying to weaponise them? Or were the Grue after something else entirely?

• 2 weeks later...

Doktor Archeville

"The... whatever it is that that Grue did," he replied, "seems to have agitated the poor beasties.  And... but..."

Whatever that Grue did happened too fast for me to get  a good scan on it -- assuming I even could get a decent scan on it, with what I have in me -- so I've no idea what they did, or how to counter it.  And we've barely had any time to study them, so we still don't know how they communicate.  We still don't know how intelligent they are, if we could communicate with them even if we figured out how they communicate; it could be like trying to speak with a herd of cattle...

... oh!

"We may not know how to communicate with them, but we can likely nudge them away!  Between Star Khan's blasts -- low-powered blasts -- pushing them from below, and Starshot using the Xeno to fly circles around them, steering them upward, you should be able to lead the swarm up and out of the atmosphere.  Meanwhile, I will try to get close enough to one of them to perform some deep bioscans, find out what stimuli they best respond to, maybe learn how they communicate."

It was... a plan.  Of sorts.

Starshot

Doctor Archeville's voice crackled over the intercom. Starshot tapped the helmet. Maybe something got jolted in the fight... the radio hissed and squarked, but for now he could make out the voice. 

"Sounds like a plan..."

Any plan is better than no plan at all...

It was fighting in the dark, without IR goggles. They still didn't know half the picture. Grue, yes. But why, and how? How did this puzzle fit together? And magic? Even more unpredictable. 

Despite all the unknown variables, action was better than inaction, this he knew. 

"Drop me off at the Xeno, ill fire her up and provide the distraction."

I hope. 

• 2 weeks later...

GM

Star Khan regarded the scene before them as he listened to Doktor Archeville's makeshift plan. "That seems the most viable plan at the moment." He responded in a agreement before flying as fast as he could down toward the Xeno to drop Starshot off to get the spacecraft airborne once more.

Then the young Zultasian quickly climbed back up to where the Sarcota were starting to swarm towards the edge of the field of solar collection arrays. He took a moment to study the group as Starshot got the Xeno airborne, looking for the best means of trying to guide the somewhat chaotic swarm of massive creatures the direction they wanted them to go.

"I will start with some low powered blasts on the Sarcota on the lower left side, trying to direct them inward and up. Starshot should use the Xeno to try and do the same on the right side. We need to keep them together and get them to want to depart the atmosphere back into space."