Cat Lessons

Huckleberry

Neko's demeanor shifted from pleasant  to unpleasant  for a barely perceptible instant. She looked at Ramon and said in an icy voice. "Look at this." She pointed down at the sushi which Consuela could see was suddenly swarming with insects; loathsome cockroaches and maggots crawling from fish and rice so overrun with swarming insect life that the sushi rolls themselves were visibly twitching and moving. "Is this what you serve people?" she asked, her tone sharpening like a katana held to the throat. "That is disgusting. You are disgusting." She slapped her hand against the table. "Look what they did!"

There was much confusion and alarm from customers at the sight of the swarming mass of insects, defensiveness and not a little fear from the employees - and in the hubbub, Neko threw down cash and took Consuela's hand as she stood up, taking the girl's hand in hers and not incidentally bringing the food with them.

Once they were outside, the sushi returned to normal. "That one was free," said Neko cooly. "I will have to tell them an evil witch was there the next time I go in." She popped a sushi roll in her mouth, then offered another to Consuela. 

GM

The pair step out into the empty streets of late Monday night Bayview. Sushi roll chewed but not yet swallowed, Neko turns her head at the sound of the bodega door opening behind them. It's Ramon and José, and they look more upset than ever. That might not be a huge deal, except that Ramon is holding this ridiculously bulky shiny blue energy rifle-looking thing, which he is bringing to bear on the two Claremonters. Black distortions start to form around Consuelo, and José points and shouts: "See? I knew they were unnatural - Ramon use the thing!"