OOC: Rules Questions

Griffalo

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I am putting the finishing touches on my character and have question regarding a possible drawback/complication I'm considering. My PL 6 character The Piranha is a US Navy diver turned amphibious man-fish-thing that fights with sharp claws and teeth.

In order to capture some of the frenzied nature of the fish for which he's named, I thought it might be interesting if when faced with extreme physical duress (say when he is Staggered), he must make a Will save or involuntarily go into a frenzy I'm thinking that means he rages and the damage from his teeth and claws can only be lethal. :evil:

Now obviously this could help him during some tough battles, but it also could lead to all sorts of problems.

Is this potentially a drawback, or is it really just a complication? It doesn't seem to fit any of the drawbacks in the book.

I would love to know what our referees - and everyone else, for that matter - think about this. Thanks!

OK, I am putting the finishing touches on my character and have question regarding a possible drawback/complication I'm considering. My PL 6 character The Piranha is a US Navy diver turned amphibious man-fish-thing that fights with sharp claws and teeth.

In order to capture some of the frenzied nature of the fish for which he's named, I thought it might be interesting if when faced with extreme physical duress (say when he is Staggered), he must make a Will save or involuntarily go into a frenzy I'm thinking that means he rages and the damage from his teeth and claws can only be lethal. :evil:

Now obviously this could help him during some tough battles, but it also could lead to all sorts of problems.

Is this potentially a drawback, or is it really just a complication? It doesn't seem to fit any of the drawbacks in the book.

I would love to know what our referees - and everyone else, for that matter - think about this. Thanks!

Well, you seem to have a mix of two Drawbacks - Lethal Damage Only (technically should be appiled to the power itself) and a reduced version of Involuntary Transformation (since you don't actually turn into something else). I would list it as a Complication, not a Drawback. The downside, like you said, is nearly balanced by the upside, so there's no real reason to obtain points for it. That, and it just wouldn't show up that often to matter.

Just my opinion. The refs or judges might think differently.

Well, you seem to have a mix of two Drawbacks - Lethal Damage Only (technically should be appiled to the power itself) and a reduced version of Involuntary Transformation (since you don't actually turn into something else). I would list it as a Complication, not a Drawback. The downside, like you said, is nearly balanced by the upside, so there's no real reason to obtain points for it. That, and it just wouldn't show up that often to matter.

I agree with Veiled Malice.

1. I would make "Lethal damage only" a 1 pt. drawback, though whether this drawback directly reduces the power's cost (as per Ultimate Power) or gives your character additional PPs to spend (as per Mutants and Masterminds core book) is up to the judges. And if it only applies when you are suffering from your "complication," I wouldn't make it a drawback at all.

2. I would probably make the "rage" a complication too, but do keep in mind that your Str bonus after the rage is still capped by PL (unless the judges say otherwise). Right now your Str is +3 and with rage that bumps it to +7, 1 pt. above PL.

1. I would make "Lethal damage only" a 1 pt. drawback, though whether this drawback directly reduces the power's cost (as per Ultimate Power) or gives your character additional PPs to spend (as per Mutants and Masterminds core book) is up to the judges. And if it only applies when you are suffering from your "complication," I wouldn't make it a drawback at all.

2. I would probably make the "rage" a complication too, but do keep in mind that your Str bonus after the rage is still capped by PL (unless the judges say otherwise). Right now your Str is +3 and with rage that bumps it to +7, 1 pt. above PL.

Yeah, I want the damage from his Strike to not necessarily be lethal when he's not raging. And I'd like for him to be able to choose to rage as well, as per the feat. But when he fails that save, I want him to rage and to deal lethal damage without being able to control it. It struck me that it was best to just dump all that into a complication.

Re. the Strength cap, doesn't rage give you +4 to your Str score, which really means +2 to your ability bonus? I know that's how it works in D&D, but maybe the M&M feat is different?

Yeah, I want the damage from his Strike to not necessarily be lethal when he's not raging. And I'd like for him to be able to choose to rage as well, as per the feat. But when he fails that save, I want him to rage and to deal lethal damage without being able to control it. It struck me that it was best to just dump all that into a complication.

Re. the Strength cap, doesn't rage give you +4 to your Str score, which really means +2 to your ability bonus? I know that's how it works in D&D, but maybe the M&M feat is different?