OOC: Rules Questions

Griffalo

Since obscure doesn't provoke a save of any kind, you could have 20 ranks of Obscure in a PL 10 game. The radius is 5' at rank 1, and increases as per the TVP chart, so Obscure 20 would be > 10,000,000 feet in radius. :D

[Edit] Beat me to it. :o

Blocking out all noise in a country? Where do I sign? :D

Seriously though, I won't /actually/ be going for Obscure 20. However, I might got for Obscure 10 with an Extra...

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since obscure doesn't provoke a save of any kind, you could have 20 ranks of Obscure in a PL 10 game. The radius is 5' at rank 1, and increases as per the TVP chart, so Obscure 20 would be > 10,000,000 feet in radius. :D

Seriously though, I won't /actually/ be going for Obscure 20. However, I might got for Obscure 10 with an Extra...

*Cos puts on best Beard voice*

Now, forgive me if I'm wrong (I don't have my books on hand), but if the Auditory obscure is an alternate power of Weather Control, as you say, I don't believe that it's PL can be more than the original weather control PL, which would be 10, I assume. It would still only cost 10pp, though, as opposed to the Visual obscure which would cost 20pp.

Wrong, the rank of the base power has nothing to do with the rank of the alternate power, just the amount of pps (except the one spent on the AP itself) spent on the original power. Meaning that if I have a Blast 6 extra area I can have alternate Blast 9 as well.

However -- and this may be why it's only 10 ranks -- you don't actually have to spend all the available points on your alternate power. Most do and that's perfectly by the book, but you can do as in this instance and just have obscure 10 when he could have had 20. It all depends on the character concept, one of the more important yet most often overlooked parts of this whole system.

Now, forgive me if I'm wrong (I don't have my books on hand), but if the Auditory obscure is an alternate power of Weather Control, as you say, I don't believe that it's PL can be more than the original weather control PL, which would be 10, I assume. It would still only cost 10pp, though, as opposed to the Visual obscure which would cost 20pp.

Wrong, the rank of the base power has nothing to do with the rank of the alternate power, just the amount of pps (except the one spent on the AP itself) spent on the original power. Meaning that if I have a Blast 6 extra area I can have alternate Blast 9 as well.

However -- and this may be why it's only 10 ranks -- you don't actually have to spend all the available points on your alternate power. Most do and that's perfectly by the book, but you can do as in this instance and just have obscure 10 when he could have had 20. It all depends on the character concept, one of the more important yet most often overlooked parts of this whole system.

wow, I love it when people do my job for me :D makes me feel important without me having to actually do stuff.

anyway yes you can theoretically have auditory obscure up to 20 but for the purposes of this board just starting out and us trying to steer away from powers that affect the entire planet as a whole for the time being I'd have to say no...now rank 10 with an extra is fine or a few power feats for that matter.

wow, I love it when people do my job for me :D makes me feel important without me having to actually do stuff.

anyway yes you can theoretically have auditory obscure up to 20 but for the purposes of this board just starting out and us trying to steer away from powers that affect the entire planet as a whole for the time being I'd have to say no...now rank 10 with an extra is fine or a few power feats for that matter.