Aboard the Kavaca, Kuiper Belt, Terran System

The Praetorian craft zipped through the various objects at the very edge of the Terran Solar system. Everything had seemed to have recovered from the Communion attack but the station near the Pluto wormhole kept picking up stray signals from beyond Eris. Terran equipment was struggling to pinpoint anything solid, so they’d asked the Praetorians to come take a look with these more sophisticated sensors.

With the general rebuilding of the Praetorians and their base they could only spare a one craft and crew, though with the Praetorians that was normally more than enough.

Edited by Tiffany Korta

Once again at the controls, albeit this time of the smaller Kavaca, Huhunu deftly piloted the Praetorian craft through the Terran satellite bodies at the edge of their star system.  Not that it was particularly difficult a task, what with space being vast and largely empty, but when one approached any particular stellar system, the relative density of matter went up a significant degree.

"We have any idea yet what sort of signal we're looking for?" the diminutive Marine asked, without taking eyes off the piloting sensors.  Shockingly bright coral nasal ridges flared for a moment, stark contrast against the more burnt ochre of their pilot's hide, and the four primary fingers of both hands massaged the controls.

having no real applicable skill with space crafts beyond the basics moon-moth used the journey to catch up on his meditations, turning over recent events and gossip he'd heard on the Coalition station when off duty looking for the signs of machinations in the darkness, in part it was little more than a coping method, something to keep his mind occupied rather than dealing with his distress and worries, but it was in equal measure an attempt to try and foresee trouble.

brought from his contemplations by the beeping of the arrival signal he puts those thoughts away for now and promptly teleports onto the bridge, arriving in a muted flash of silvery light in time to catch Huhunu's query "Radio signals I'm Imagines." he speaks up "Terrans called this in, i believe most of their long range scannings is radio waves...though a full spectrum scan would be advisable in any cases." he states as he takes a seat in one of the substations. focusing his static eyes on the view screen before him and giving it a once over to see if any mystic aura's made themselves known.

Sitara stood staring through the viewscreen at a tiny dot that the ship helpfully highlighted in the now dead script of the Delaztri Empire. Since leaving that tiny dot millennia ago she’d never spent too long in one place, at least by choice, but that dot held a place in her heart. And here she was so close to home yet unable to go there instead sent on this important task.

“The human’s are using equipment used by the Lor, but they don’t have the equipment even we have. I believe they picked up some unusual life signs out here, something that shouldn’t exist this far out on the Terran system.”

As she spoke she touch the screen and bought up the data that the station had provided, that the craft was trying to match even as the spoke.

Moon-moth nods "makes sense i suppository, it would be truly impressing if they had managed to make a radio receiver and transmitter to work at such a phenomenal range." he confesses as he taps away at his console, bringing the scanners up on his screen to look over the various frequencies and wavelengths in tandem to see if anything in particular was out of place with his own eyes, transmissions, trace elements of synthetic chemicals and anything that might be out of place in this solar system.

GM Post

The sensor did there job gathering all the information they could even picking up the faint transmissions of the Inner System. Among all that chatter, both the raw data and the fancier graphical images, there was a trace of something but even with their technological advantage it was still a fleeting thing.

There was definitely a life sign of sort in the space between planetoid but it wasn’t easy to tell what it was exactly, though even after all these centuries life had the ability to surprise and confound expectations.

Flexing the four primary phalanges of each hand over the controls, Hūhunu looked over the faint data traces and contemplated the vast three dimensions of space about them.

"I should hope they're not still relying on the EM spectrum," the compact marine replied scornfully.  "Might as well be using magnifying lenses.  We're probably going to have to get a lot closer before we can find anything more than traces, am I right?"  A few manipulations of the controls brought a likely sector of space to start into close magnification on the primary viewscreen.

Not being any real sort of scientist, especially compared to some of the other Praetorians, Hūhunu was more than willing to leave the specifics of that sort of analysis in their hands.  Guiding their ship to where the scientists could do their work -- that, the little recon marine could do.

"i Would imagines so." moon moth says in response; "be not quick to judge, friend; technology is but one measure of development; one my own people were far behind the terrans in the days of delzatri." he says humbly as he observes the small highlighter indicating earth "One day they will join us in the space-ways...I for one am looking forward to another race to call brethren; particularly one with such a good impression as Sitara and our starknight ally has given me."

"Buts i digest;Maybe time for a walk in the void once we draw close?"

GM Post
After a few moments the ship, expertly flown as normal, reached the location the sensor suggested the object was located. For a few moments none of the Praetorians could see the object, despite the sensors helpfully pinpointing the object.

It was a dark almost black color, barely visible against space, made of some form of almost organic looking material like a massive shelled animal transferred into space.Bio-organic space creatures were rare but not unknown in the wider universe, but somehow this one felt, wrong, as if it really shouldn’t be here.

"Wells..." moon-moth states after a few seconds of staring at the view screen "That is most certainties a thing." summing up his thoughts as eloquently as ever as he gazes upon the mammoth cosmozoan before him, tilting his head this way and that to look at it from all available angles and see if he can analyse any magic it might be giving off; suprised to see the transdimensional static around its edges "it is a slightly magical...possibly manufactured thing." he adds helpfully.

"We should try to make contact with it...maybe someone who is more good with the words than I."

• 2 weeks later...

Sitara watched the image for a few second, something about it reminded her of something she’d encountered long ago but she couldn’t place it for the life of her. Part of the problem of being around so long was you forgot as much as you remembered.

She walked to the pilot station and lent down over Hūhunu’s shoulder and traced a pattern over the digital display.

“Let’s do a fly over and get some more information, keep it slow and low look out for any weapons or entrances. Let’s all keep an eye out for anything odd, something about this feels wrong.”

• 4 weeks later...

"it appears to be inhabbiting more than just the normal physical dimensions of the heights, depths and widths...not sure which it may be layered into...but holes in the space times is usually bad things for both the magics and the sciences." he says cooly as he watches the ominious hulk of biomatter pass beneath the ship and  the sensors attempt to penetrate deeper into its internal systems with his unmoving eyes "we are in murkies waters."

Sitara looked at the display for a few more minutes obviously making her mind up about something.

“I’ve seen similar before and it definitely reminds of something, and nothing pleasant.” she tapped the display and bought up some information

“Well we’ll find nothing helpful out here and it appears to have an atmosphere, so let’s go have a look onboard. Hūhunu take us in slowly, just in case they still have any defenses running.”

Under Hūhunu expert hands the Kavaca gently edged it way towards the docking port of the station.

Moon-moth humms softly as he turns his thoughts over in his head Comtemplating and considering thoughts he would've found hard to put into any language including his native one, paying just enough attention to the world around him to extend the boarding tunnel and activate the mechanical aspects of the clamps...no to by the electromagnets used to adhere to the hulls of other starships would prove ineffective on the chitin and cartelidge of a bioship and begin to pressurise and cycle the airloock...though such measures were usually pointless the internal sensors of the ship would be able to detect any contaminents in the bioship atmosphere

• 2 months later...

The inside of the station was bio-organic in nature looking like it been grown rather than engineered, though Sitara had seen similar in her many centuries of travel. The air was breathable but had a stale musty odour and even after scan showed it safe Sitara choose to keep her helmet on.

“I can’t get anything resembling life signs with everything being so alive, well actually I’m getting life signs from everything but it’s much the same.”

She moved to the inner airlock and examined the controls for a minute or two, taking a little longer than normal to figure out how it worked.

“If you ready I’ll open the airlock, but ready for anything I have now idea what to expect.”