Super intelligent/gadgeteer character

Zaranoth

Exactly how much is a starting character able to have changed the world? My character concept is basically a (previously) disabled gadgeteer type character who uses nanotechnology to turn herself into what amounts to a cyborg as a cure, but the process she uses could very feasibly be used to cure most physical ailments (that aren't infectious diseases), as far as I know. I couldn't find anything much on creating characters with super-intelligence and how their technology can effect the world. Should I just have it as a kind of background thing, with a passing mention of how she's rich by inventing her nano-surgery thing? I could give her a nemesis character who stole her research and tech for him/herself, if needed.

Also should I use an existing disease/impairment as her disability, or make something up? I don't particularly want to screw up the details of an existing disability, or offend someone by just creating a character who can super-science the problem away.

Edit: The character sheet. Crunch is done, just writing up the fluff.

Character Name: Rook

Power Level: 10 (150/150 PP)

Trade-Offs: -5Defense / +5 Toughness

Unspent Power Points: 0

Progress To Bronze Status: 0/30

In Brief: A disabled genius invents a nanotechnology procedure to make her physically super-human.

Residence: Penthouse apartment. She recently moved in, so it lacks furnishings.

Base of Operations: Private laboratory

Alternate Identity: Alexandria Leander

Identity: Secret

Birthplace: Freedom City

Affiliations: Leander Tech

Family: Max Leander (father, 53) Sophia Leander (mother, 54)

Description:

Apparent Age: 19

Ethnicity: African-American

Height: 5’10”

Weight:190 lbs

Eyes: Hazel

Hair: Black

Alexandria.png

Power Descriptions:

Rook’s super-intelligence does not manifest in any overt ways, but it has allowed her to use nanotechnology to modify her body to remove her CMD.

History:

Born to two doctors, her parents were quick to notice problems with her muscular development, and she was diagnosed with Congenital Muscular Dystrophy with joint hyperlaxity.

Personality & Motivation:

(Describe why they do what they do here)

Powers & Tactics:

(In-character descriptions of how they do what they do)

Complications:

Identity:Secret

Abilities: - 7 - 7 - 7 + 20 + 10 + 0 = 9PP

Strength: 3/30 (+10)

Dexterity: 3/25 (+7)

Constitution: 3/30 (+10)

Intelligence: 30 (+10)

Wisdom: 20 (+5)

Charisma: 10 (+0)

Combat: 0 + 0 = 0PP

Initiative: +7

Attack: +2 Melee, +2 Ranged

Grapple: +12

Defense: +5 (+5 Base), +0 Flat-Footed

Knockback: -7

Saving Throws: 0 + 0 + 0 = 0PP

Toughness: +15 (+10 Con, +5 [Protection])

Fortitude: +10 (+10 Con, +0)

Reflex: +8 (+7 Dex, +1)

Will: +8 (+5 Wis, +3)

Skills: 92R = 23PP

Computers 6 (+16)Skill Mastery

Concentration 4 (+9)

Craft (Chemical) 14 (+24)Skill Mastery

Craft (Electronic) 12 (+22)

Craft (Mechanical) 12 (+22)Skill Mastery

Disable Device 6 (+16)Skill Mastery

Investigate 4 (+14)

Knowledge (life sciences) 12 (+22)

Knowledge (physical sciences) 10 (+20)

Knowledge (technology) 4 (+14)

Medicine 8 (+13)

Feats: 12PP

Attack Specialization 2 - Unarmed

Beginner’s Luck

Benefit 2 - Wealth

Eidetic Memory

Improvised Tools

Inventor

Luck 2

Master Plan

Skill Mastery

Powers: 79 + 5 + 5 + 2= 91PP

Linked Powers (Enhanced Physique) [79PP] (descriptors)

• Enhanced Strength 27(Extras: innate)

• Enhanced Dexterity 22(Extras: innate)

• Enhanced Constitution 27(Extras: innate)

Quickness 4 (Flaws: Mental Only) [2PP] (descriptors)

Device 1 (Hoverboard; 5*1PP Container; Extras: Only you can use(+2); Flaws: Easy-To-Lose) [5PP] (descriptors)

• Flight 5 (Flaws: Platform) [5PP]

Protection 5 [5PP]

Drawbacks: (-3) = -0PP

Vulnerability (Magnetism; Frequency: Uncommon; Intensity: Major[x2]) [-3PP]

DC Block

ATTACK              RANGE      SAVE                           EFFECT

Unarmed             Touch      DC 25 Toughness                Damage (Physical)

Totals: Abilities (9) + Combat (14) + Saving Throws (4) + Skills (23) + Feats (12) + Powers (91) - Drawbacks (3) = 150/150 Power Points

Edited by Zaranoth

Player Characters on here have already solved a terminally-ill girl's disease by transferring her consciousness into a robo-corpus. At least one other PC(since Archived, sadly) was the result of nanotech raising a young woman from the dead. And one of the primary hopes of nanotechnology is that it'll allow for medical options hitherto undreamed-of. I think you'd be good having your character use their gifts to benefit humanity like that.

As for it as an excuse for wealth/nemeses, sure. Both make sense.

As for whether to use an existing disease...I'd strongly encourage it. Do the research first, of course, so you'll get it as right as you can, but superheroes bringing hope where there's none and solutions where none exist is as old as Superman punching out arms-dealers.

Thanks for the awesome reply! I did some more thinking on it, and figured the character wouldn't want her tech to be used to create armies of super-soldiers/by enterprising villains etc, so she remodeled the public version so it would be really hard to use for non-medical purposes/human enhancement. But it wouldn't really stop sufficiently smart people from reverse engineering it and applying the original specs. 

I'm thinking she has a successful start-up company that manufactures various nano-materials, creates medical procedures using nanotech/nanosurgery, probably a few other things.

Congenital Muscular Dystrophy looks like the kind of disability I imagined my character with.