Fire and Fist (IC)

KnightDisciple

Mali smiled and gently touched his shoulder. He was shaken, just like she was. "Look, Corbin, I understand. It's okay. You're upset, you're angry. That's perfectly understandable. Things will...things will even out in time, you know? They'll even out and average out. It sucks that things will never get quite better, but they'll heal with time. And, it's okay if you're upset. I cried like a baby that night. Went home and curled up in my room, ran away from everything once I got to safety. Everyone handles things differently, but you'll be okay."

She'd never had to do anything like this before, but it came to her when she needed it. Compassion, kind words, maybe a little bit of wisdom.

"You're right. New year. New chances. As much as he and I butted heads, I don't think Sharl would want me being mopey. Part of me just thinks I should have pushed everyone just a little more though, you know? Pushed us all, been just a bit better, a bit stronger...Anyways, I'll probably just need to go sit down in a couple days and draw a lot. Need to make a trip out to Cali to see my girl, too."

He gave a lopsided smile.

"Which, uh, sorry to like disappoint or whatever there. Not that I got those vibes, but, you know. Anyways. How is...how are the others? You seen them since that day?"

While he waited and listened, Corbin consumed pancakes like a local champion.

"No, no, it's okay." She said with a smile. "I didn't think this was a date, or that there was something between us or anything. You're a nice guy and all, but I wasn't thinking that."

"Kimber's trying to reach his guardian, I've talked with Koshiro off and on, and I'm not sure what Indira or Kristen are up to." She shrugged. "I've mostly been keeping busy to avoid being overwhelmed, you know?"

She took a bite of pancake, and, completely from left field, remarked "These pancakes aren't bad." She was finally starting to feel better. Talking to someone else, an outsider, was starting to help.

"Right."

He chewed for a moment before continuing.

"Miss Americana? Is she having trouble? I mean, Miss A took over Archetech, I'd think she'd be easy to reach. Hm. It's been a crazy few days, I guess. Indira's a private person, she's...probably dealing in her own way. I...I don't think I actually know Kristen. I mean, I know of her, vaguely. And you. But I didn't really know either of you during school."

He gave a small laugh as he finished off his plate and signaled for a second round (causing the waitress to raise an eyebrow).

"Not that I really knew Sharl, Koshiro, Kimber, or Indira that well either...Anyways. It sounds like everyone's wrestling with it themselves in their own ways. Which is good, I think. Just...just a rough couple days ahead, I suppose. Are you guys going to try to organize a service?"

"I haven't heard any plans, but that could change. If I do hear, I'll let you know. In fact, why don't we trade contact information? That way I can relay information about what's going to happen with...with that situation to you. If you want to know it, of course." She said quietly. Truth was, she didn't want to have to be the one to tell Corbin, but he used to be a teammate of Sharl's, and she doubted anyone else would be available to let him know. Corbin had as much of a right to that as anyone else.

"I'd appreciate that, yes. If there's not, that's fine. As for contact information, that's a good idea. I think I gave the others my info, but pass it on to Young Freedom anyways. Let all of them know I'm available if they need help with something."

Corbin pulled out his smartphone and made ready to enter Mali's information, giving his own when requested.

"Not sure if Kimber's got a phone, but I know Koshiro does, and I think Indira does, to talk to her folks."

He finished off the second plate that had come by not that long ago.

"Does Young Freedom have any team plans or missions coming up?"

Mali sat down on her bed and sighed. She'd just started truly understanding Sharl's death, and now this? Hope? She shook her head. Apparently, there was a chance that Sharl could be brought back, that a backup could be made and brought in. She realized that Corbin, the guy she'd spoken to earlier in the day, would probably want to know about it. She picked up her phone and dialed the number he gave her.

"Corbin? This is Mali. This is going to sound weird, I know, but it seems that Sharl...might not be dead. I know it sounds weird, but apparently he has a backup. His guardian might be able to use some technology to bring him back. There's no guarantee, but...yeah. That could happen. I knew you'd like to know..."