Are You French Enough?

Ari

Blodeuwedd was silent for a few second and when she spoke there was a edge to her voice.

“Those super-old epic poems I read are not just the cultural heritage of my people; they contain the history of the Order. And my name is one of those crazy names’ you can’t pronounce.â€

She crossed her arms and turned away from him, only to turn back at his admission of loving Romance Books.

“I think you’re almost impossible to stay mad at you for long, and don’t worry I’ll never tell.â€

As she took his arm she added in a slightly hurt voice.

“And I read all kind of books, and not just the one we have to read in class.â€

"...Crap. I-I'm sorry Blodeu, I..."

There was a moment of unease as Subito realized his misstep, and inwardly slammed his head into a wall, preparing for Blodeuwedd to be just that much shorter with him for the rest of the night. When she turned back and calmly told him he was hard to be mad at he almost laughed with relief. "I'm sorry Cerys, I shouldn't have said that. Thanks for your not-saying stuff m'lady, I'll make sure you get the pick of my collection!" he winked cheerily at the girl as he led her to the ballroom, fighting off a wave of stage-fright as he saw the crowd of up-scale, refined and much older men and women give them the once-over. Smiling as best he could, the muscular boy threw aside his fears, and marched straight into the glittering hall!

Getting them a space near the orchestra, he smiled up at his date and gave her a quick hug as he whispered almost seductively in her ear "Then we need t'talk about 'em, don't we? What's your favorite? Mine's The Final Empire" Stepping back he frowned in concentration as he took up the 'waltz' position he had seen a lot of times in movies: left hand clasped with her right, right hand resting on her back, eyes shining with excitement as the music began. "Hope you're better at dancing than me Blodeu, 'cause I'm not good!" he said happily.

Edited by Arichamus

“Whilst I have dipped into modern genre’s, I’m not up on my romantic novels.â€

She had a preference for her novel to be on the tragic side more Geraint & Enid than MIlls & Boon. But she suspected that he preferred his stories to have a happy ending.

As they took to the dance floor Blodeuwedd guided Subito as best she could, whilst still making it look like he was leading. Her years of athletics and combat training made it easy for her to feel and move with the rhythms. And whilst her training had been cut short she had had some instruction in most forms of dance.

The only problem was that Subito was so much stronger than her, making it difficult to steer him in the right direction.

“Stop trying to fight it, feel the rhythm move with it. If it helps close your eye’s and just go with the flow, don’t worry about everyone else. If you can manage this maybe we’ll even try something hard, like break dancing or Tai Chiâ€

"I'm not tryin'n to fight-" Subito grumbled with a deep frown, suddenly looking very sheepish as he realized. With an awkward glance he relaxed his powerful arms and let himself be guided by the much smoother Blodeuwedd, carefully mirroring her steps and actions across the ballroom floor. "...Oh. That's what you meant. Sorry Cerys, and yeah, dancing stuff would be a good thing to do. I bet the gym would be a nice place, and I for one can't wait to see you do break dancing" he grinned and kissed her swiftly on the cheek, neatly avoiding another incoming couple. He swayed and flowed along to the stately and grand music, smiling happily as the subject returned to something near to his heart.

"I really like Estella Marquin's stuff. Janet Springer's pretty good too, and I bet you'd love her stories set in Wales, but Mz. Marquin's is my favorite. Her Joanna series? So good! It's about this lady named Joanna Withle from England in the Wild West, having to deal with all kinds of problems with this small town, an' winning the heart of this really kind but kinda shy Mexican guacho, and struggling with the prejudice of 1800's America. And every time it looks like she's done, that this is the end, she always finds a way to pull through and win the day!" he smiled fondly at Cerys "I like happy stories. They ain't like reality all the time, sure, but neither are the ones where everything goes wrong." Deftly twirling around the lithe agent, he resumed the dance with open, shining eyes and faintly humming.

"So my lady, what's your pleasure?" he asked with a grin.

Edited by Arichamus

Blodeuwedd enjoy just dancing around for a little while whilst Subito talked his little heart out. She’d always liked his earnestness, even if she didn’t really agree with what he was saying. She nodded in the right places and paid just enough attention to answer question, she could help but take it all in it was how she was trained. Though mostly she enjoyed being physically close to him.

“You know what I really like doing? Free climbing, there isn’t a tall building in the city I haven’t tried climbing. I’d take you with me but I’m not sure you’d be able to appreciate it, it’s all about the challenge and possible danger.â€

Nestled comfortably against Cerys as they danced, her well-built boyfriend almost giggled when she mentioned free climbing. "I've heard about that, Blodeu!" he murmured with a grin "It's probably not as gym-friendly as dancing, but I'd love to go with you! I could stand a little challenge. As for the danger...'" he suddenly swung down, resting lightly in her arms and adding with an innocent and bashful look "...I'm fine with it, so long as I get to see how flexible you really are." swirling back into the speeding-up tempo with an unrestrained laugh, Subito danced with smooth abandon, looking fondly at Blodeuwedd.

"You know what song this is?" he added teasingly "I bet Ellis could use a little music at her place!"

“Well I’d be happy to take you Free Climbing, but I’m not sure you’d get the whole thrill of the thing. It’s mostly about the challenge, but it also about the risk.†there was a sparkle in her eye when she spoke, a spark of passion about something that she rarely showed.

“And to be honest you’d never really understand the risk, because if you fall you can fly. I mean I know I have my grapple, but there’s always a risk I won’t react in time. And to be honest when I want a real challenge I often don’t bring it along.â€

"That's not true, Cerys" Subito said with a suddenly very grave look. With his left hand clasped in her left, the two stalked gracefully across the floor "When I first came to Claremont I was still growing into my power, and the Dama let me use my powers pretty much how I wanted. I could even fly without transforming." a stop and a twirl as the violins thrilled "Now I can't use hardly any of 'em without it being to help somebody else."

Her boyfriend shrugged awkwardly, adding with a quirk of his lips "So unless you go leaping after me, falling off a building's a big a problem for me as you."

“Okay but most building don’t allow people to climb them, so we might have to sneak around a little. So you’ll need some darker clothing, but we might start with something simpler.â€

She let the music float over them as they glided across the floor with a fair modicum of grace. Something was playing on her mind something she’d finally felt relaxed enough to broach the subject.

“Have you ever wonder what it would be like to live a normal live? To get up and just go to school, without pausing to save the world, then when older get a nine to five job.â€

Edited by TiffanyKorta

"I have some stuff in black!" Subito offered cheerfully "And there's a bunch of places in Southside that I bet would be great practice!" The idea of scrambling around buildings like some of the lither students was definitely tantalizing for the athletic boy. The company added a lot to its appeal!

Sliding gracefully closer to Blodeuwedd, Subito gently encouraged her to lean on him as they danced. It was easy to tell from his look of deep thought that he was mulling over he other question. At last he murmured in her ear "That used to be what I did Blodeu. I was a normal kid, went to school, had a job, waved at the heroes as they swung by, and I can tell ya..." he smiled and kissed her gently on the cheek, smelling faintly of spices "If i'd stayed that way we wouldn't have met, and I wouldn't give that up for much!" he gazed fondly into her eyes and then looked a little wistful "...I dunno, Cerys. Sometimes I do think 'bout it, and I wonder if it wouldn't've been better. It'd be more peaceful, gentler for sure, but I know I can't go back now. Is that what you'd like to do someday?"

The music was slowing now, dancers drifting to a slow halt.

Edited by Arichamus
  • 3 weeks later...

As the music slowed she began to bring the two of them to a halt, it was a little like trying to slow a Supertanker.

“You know sometimes I forget what I saw in you, and then you go say something cute like that.â€

But it was still playing on her mind. Maybe it was because to her it was a massive step to commit to something, anything, for any amount of time. She wasn’t sure how long it was going to last, if it could last...

“Well I’ve never had a totally normal life, and after School I’ll probably return to Order business. This right here is the closest I’ve ever gotten to normal.â€

Leaving the 'cute' bit alone except for a bashful smile, the powerfully-built teen slid to a graceful halt on the polished floor. "If goin' out with me is the most normal thing you've ever done, then I'm kinda amazed we got this far!" he glanced around the ballroom as he raised an eyebrow "Every time somebody at school goes out on a date a villain shows up, that happened to me once too. I hope it doesn't this time. Wouldn't be half as fun as just...this. You'n me together....um..." with a sigh Subito gave the lithe agent a quick and chaste hug.Stepping back with her hands in his he smiled ""

Putting an arm lightly around Cerys' waist, he led the way back to their table to pick out the dessert of the evening, scanning through the menú with great care. This time he was going to try something new, something he'd never tried! He would be brave, be bold!

Glancing up at the Welsh girl next to him, he shrugged "You ever needed to practice eating brioche perdu, Blodeu? I dunno half these words, honestly." suddenly he brightened "Hey...I should try and learn some new dishes! You wanna teach me any Cerys?"

Blodeuwedd gave a little laugh, a very unusual thing which showed how relaxed she was feeling.

“You know that I come from a country that’s renowned for it’s bland food? There’s only so much you can do with a leek. Still as part of my training I’ve tried just about every food from around the world, you wouldn’t expect a secret order to have a team of skilled chef’s on hand. But I miss sometimes a simple fish meal from the local chippy, or a curry on a saturday night in Merthyr Tydfil. I guess it’s true what they say sometime you want steak, sometime you just want a burgers. Or a curry in this case.â€

"Blodeu, if I ever start a secret order of secrecy" Subito said grandly as he held up a finger and gazed heroically at the ceiling "The first thing I do'll be to get the ten greatest chefs in the world on retainer. And then make 'em cook casseroles and curry all day!" he added with a wicked grin. Hearing Blodeuwedd laugh was easily the best part of the evening so far, beating out the dancing easily.'

Their desserts delivered, the muscular boy dug into the French delicacy with his spoon, shaving off small portions and eating them with great relish. Looking up he smiled at Cerys "Anyway, I still wanna learn. We should do that sometime, get some grocery stuff and make Welsh food at your apartment! It'd be awesome." Subito declared with utter confidence. Taking a hearty bite of the brioche, he leaned back and watched the waiters scurrying elegantly across the length and breadth of the restaurant, rolling his eyes as he caught a muttered conversation a few tables away about whose trust fund babies he and Cerys were.

Leaning thoughtfully on the table he flicked his hazel eyes up to meet hers "Hey Blodeu, when's your birthday? Mine's in July, way the heck off. We should do somethin' to celebrate yours in style."

The rest of the few minutes spent at the Chez Henri passed all too quickly, and at last the bill was brought, Subito payed without any of the hesitation and wincing he had expected, and soon the two were on their way arm in arm to Cerys Pfer's apartment rented out under her foremost alias.

Trudging through the swirling snow, her schoolmate frowned up at the sky "Didn't think we'd take so long and it'd still be snowing. You okay Blodeu? We can fly there if you want, just hold on tight and point the way" he offered as he nestled closer against the young heroine. The idea appealed to him immensely, and not just because it meant he got to be closer to her.

Blodeuwedd gave answer about her birthday in a matter of fact manner.

“I don’t know, I was orphaned not long after my birth.†knowing how Subito thought she raised a hand to stop him “It’s okay I never really knew them and the Order raised my just as well. I celebrate my birthday on St David’s day, he’s our patron saint, the 1st March. I don’t normally do anything special.â€

When they left to the scene of a still snowy city she was just about the explain how she hardly felt the cold, seeing how cold Wales could get in the winter, but then they wouldn’t get a chance to snuggle together as he flew her home.

“Yes flying would be nice, do you need directions?â€

"Oh." Despite Blodeuwedd's heading-off of his apologies, he still looked glum, though he brightened up noticeably when she mentioned she never did anything special for her birthday. "We should do somethin', just the two of us" he said in a surprisingly gentle voice "It'll be new for both of us. I could take you to meet my folks if you want."

Beaming at the pale girl, he said "Yeah, just point the way!" led them into a secluded alley, and put a hand over his heart for a moment, concentrating...'No. I absolutely refuse Aw, c'mon Dama! It'll help keep lots of people safe from trying to mug Blodeu. And anyway, it's not for me. it's for her. ...I still trust her only as far as I can see her, but very well. Receive my power, O Herald!' With a flash of gold, El Heraldo took on his amazingly flamboyant guise and struck a faux heroic pose. Laughing heartily, he gently put an arm around Cerys' waist, holding close against him as he said "Okay, hold on tight!", waited a moment for the girl to get a good grip and soared into the air!

The wind rushed past them and soon got a lot colder as the young paragon and agent breasted the roofs of downtown, the lights of the city spread out below them, and Subito paused for a moment to take it all in, eyes wandering over the beautiful sight. Hugging Cerys closer, he sighed quietly in amazement, letting the magical moment stretch on just a bit. Kissing Blodeuwedd on the cheek he murmured "I wish we could see this every night. Alright my lady, where to?" Following her instructions exactly, he flew across the city to her apartment building.

Edited by Arichamus

Whilst she had spent most of her life living in a small village, the home she’d always loved, she had always felt at home in the city. There was something about the light that comforted her, and safe snuggled in Subito grip she couldn’t feel anymore relaxed.

Most of the time she was Blodeuwedd always aware of the possibility of danger always ready for trouble. Tonight she was more Cerys a young woman relaxing in the arms of her boyfriend, it felt nice very nice to do this for a change. Though Blodeuwedd lurks in the background just in case.

“We’ll have to be quiet I don’t want to ruin Ellis’s reputation, but do you want to come up for coffee?†she couldn’t help but give a little giggle.

Heraldo made sure to land just out of sight of the front door, just in case. He took a moment to relax against her, to feel her warmth and smooth muscles just for a second longer...

Dispelling the costume with a wave of his hand Subito raised an eyebrow and smiled at his girlfriend's offer "Why Ms. Pfer, it's so late and we've already gone dancing," he said in a mock-shy voice "whatever else could you want me to have energy for tonight?" he kept up the bashful look for about ten seconds before laughing heartily and linking arms with her "I'll come up Cerys, but let's make sure we don't go too far..whoop!" he stumbled a little on the snowy cement and smiled awkwardly up the girl "Hi Blodeu. I'm kinda dizzy from all that wine, so don't let me fall, 'kay? Part of the reason I offered to fly us here, nothin' to hit!" Walking inside he kept an arm around her shoulders, drowsy and cozy enough that he barely noticed when his hand slowly settled down onto her hip as they rode up the elevator.

Glancing around the living room as they walked through her door the muscular boy whistled. "Huh! I hope your'n Tona's room at Claremont isn't like this. Should get your pals over more often, liven it up!" Tossing his coat and dress shirt onto the handy chair Subito took a look around, increasingly struck by how sparse the apartment was.

There wasn't much to distract him from their talk at the Chez, and soon her boyfriend's mind was busily considering the vitally important question of what the next step was. Sitting on the couch beside her the Hispanic teen said "So...um..." he took a deep breath to try and control his heartbeat, which being alone and nervous with Blodeuwedd wasn't helping "What would you like to do?"

For now Blodeuwedd didn’t think of this place as hers, for now it was Ellis’s place, not that it couldn’t change in the future. The place was spotless, she’d paid for the place to be cleaned every week, and contained all the mod cons but she never really felt comfortable here. For her there was just more space than she knew what to deal with though slowly she was getting use to having more room than she needed. But right now that wasn’t what was on her mind.

She put her arms around Subito and planted a big kiss on him a rather strange little grin on her face.

“Well I’m sure we can think of something...â€

"Mmphm!" Subito fell back against the couch, blinking in surprise as Cerys kissed him. The shock didn't last long though, and her teasing smile got a bashful one in return as her boyfriend gently leaned forward and reciprocated the kiss. He very suddenly realized where this was most likely going and struggled with a powerful gut feeling that this wasn't right, that he ought to tell her he wasn't nearly ready...and the fact that kissing her while they were cuddled on the couch was very, very nice. "I love your plans, Blodeu" he murmured in the agent's ear. Lying down and letting her fall on top of him, he he gently massaged her back...

'

Herald, do not do this Dama, I won't let us go too f- Too far? It's too far already, you'll spend the rest of the night replaying this in your head!  Look, we're not dumb, 'least Cerys isn't. We won't do something we'll regret I have few doubts about that, but this is a step too far. Collapsing in each others' arms after a joyous night, wine making your heads spin you thrash about in a mad passion, feeling each other's- Alright! Fine! Quit it, I get the picture... I still don't trust her motives either, and this happening so soon I distrust even more. Go to bed, be as handsy as you want Are you watching right now? ...No...'

...only for his hand to pause abruptly on her thigh "Cerys" he whispered in her ear "I'm not ready. An' this is the first date, we shouldn't do this, not just yet." he softly maneuvered until they were still lying close on the couch, but not quite makeout-close. "Besides, we've got that thing tomorrow, the demonstration in Bayview Mr. Summers wants us to keep watch on. Don't think he'll be happy if we don't get enough sleep and are too sore to do hero stuff" he smiled lasviciously at the word 'sore' and kissed her slowly on the lips "We can still share that bed if you want..."

Edited by Arichamus
  • 3 weeks later...

Blodeuwedd turned away trying to hold back the tears, she understood entirely his reason but it didn’t make it any easier. With great effort she managed to keep her voice level, even now her training served her well.

“Sure make yourself comfortable, I’ll be there soon I just need some air.â€

Before Subito could react to stop her Blodeuwedd was out the window and up onto the roof of the building, part of the reason she choose this apartment block was that the easy of the climb to the roof.

There she sat on the snowy roof considering the night, wondering why she was so ready to rush everything. Maybe it was because she was so aware of her mortality? They say that teenagers think there immortal, but Blodeuwedd knew otherwise a graveyard full of your predecessor would do that for you.

Sitting there however her black mood couldn’t last long the evening events could help but bring a smile of memory to her lips. So it was not long before she was looking at the star’s enjoying the clear night air, she wasn’t in a hurry to return indoors.

Beside she knew exactly what Subito would do.

The young man lay still for a few moments, looking glumly at the ceiling. 'It was the right thing to do' was a pretty cold comfort right then. Closing his eyes he took a long breath, waited to cool down a little, and then got up.

Crossing the room he ducked under the window to look up the snow-crusted wall, scanning for the handholds Cerys had used on her climb. The sight wasn't encouraging, but there was nothing else for it. With a smooth motion Subito launched upwards, delicately and studiously making his way up the side of the apartment building.

It took a lot less than he felt it did, and a few minutes later he rolled onto the roof next to Blodeuwedd. Panting and grinning up at her he managed a soft "Hey Blodeu. Thought you and the air could use a little company." Sitting up and dangling his legs off the hard cement he kissed her gently on the lips, put a warm arm around her waist and nestled her against him. Time melted away as they sat there, gazing up at the stars. They couldn't hear so much as a tire-squeal or a call for help. All was quiet in Freedom City.

In those hours before bed, all was perfect as crystal.