Slave to Time - Part 2 (IC)

Supercape

GM

"To cut the tendrils of the swamp? to sever its link to the world...that would be a wise course of action. We could stop it..for a time, at least. I fear the unspeakable force behind this place is beyond death or destruction. But yes, its links to the world can be cut..."

Broken Crow, even exhausted by his fever and other activities seemed excited by the prospect.

"So, we must slip away, and then perform a ritual at the point where the two worlds blur. It will be...draining...and the swamp itself will fight us....are you ready?"

Broken Crow seemed to be. He pointed in that a direction away from Malaise' camp.

"Let us go, I can feel the way through this world to ours...as can you if you open your mind to it..."

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With great surprise Subito listened to Broken Crow's explanation, eyes narrowed and chin resting on his hunched-up knees. After the learned Master Mage of this time made plain their situation, he remained very still and quiet, thinking over what the man had told them. When Young Britannia suggested they try and end this woman's menace, he said quietly "I am behind this 100%, let's do this!" Agnus seemed pretty sure of their capabilities, and he wasn't one to disagree with her when it came to when she wanted to fight!

Jumping up to his feet the stocky Claremont student picked up Earth's greatest wizard and began to make his way quietly towards the mantled trees "I'm not as strong as Mz. Stone, sir," he told the Mage in a hushed voice "but Agnus has light powers, she can at least kinda hide us from Madame Crazypants."

With long and flowing steps through the murky and unclean swamp, Subito bore Broken Crow past the tree line.

Agnus couldn’t help but make light of the situation, it was almost automatic and it beat the withering sarcasm she used to resort to.

“Well my mum would be horrified to hear that, cause that who I think off when you call me Mz Stone. Just remember power comes from there...†she tapped him lightly on the forehead “…and there†she pointed towards his heart. “And failing that you’re linked to every one of the people who have ever taken the mantle of your Blue Dame .It’s there even if you can’t feel it directly.â€

She floated just behind them as them move out keeping an eye out for any of Madame Malaise’s minion, wondering just when she’d become the sensible mature one?

GM

Heraldo and Young Britannia took to the skies, with a little difficulty. The fetid swamp seemed to want to suck them down to the waters and mud. The trees seem to tangle them as they arose. Even the air felt heavy somehow, giddying, damp, and clawing. One would have though the air would clear as they rose, but it seemed ever more sickly as they climbed in flight.

Ahead, the swamp stretched endlessly in every direction. The clouds were murky. The only relief was that the air was a little less hot.

"I can feel something..." said Broken Crow, clutching to Heraldo with all his now limited strength. Several times he had started slipping, and the colourful hero had to strap him back onto his back.

"Yes...that way..." said the mage, pointing to their left. The swamp looked no different there, tangled and musty, but...somehow it felt right.

“Well my mum would be horrified to hear that, cause that who I think off when you call me Mz Stone. Just remember power comes from there...†she tapped him lightly on the forehead “…and there†she pointed towards his heart. “And failing that you’re linked to every one of the people who have ever taken the mantle of your Blue Dame .It’s there even if you can’t feel it directly.â€

Subito looked abashed, but smiled gratefully at Agnus "Right, sorry M-I mean, Agnes. Thank you. I'll remember that for sure!" hoisting Broken Crow close to himself, he vanished with her into the swamp...

Soaring through the air with Crow's cane under his arm, Heraldo nodded at his directions, thankful to leave the clinging, loathsome swamp below them. He called over to Young Britannia "Now we can get back in business! You want to do anything in this time before we go home, Agnes? We still need to make sure that guy hasn't escaped. I'm a little worried to be honest."

With a slightly self-mocking tone Agnus corrected his pronunciation “It’s Ag-nUs, not Ag-nEs. My parents are strange like that."

“You’ve obviously never been introduced to the wibbly-wobbly nature of time. Remember he belongs there, there’s no way we can take him with us. And besides…†she gave a grin “We just happen to have THE Master Mage of that era to deal with him. And I think it’s more important to deal with this canker on reality than some two-bit cultist. After all there are few of them, but there are superheroes around in this time period.â€

She took a quick breath before continuing

“In short Time will tell. It always does.â€

GM

A little later...

Broken Crow, in a trance, had told the two heroes to alight in a part of the swamp that looked exactly like the rest of it.

Looked the same. But it felt slightly different. A little cleaner, less oppressive. Perhaps it even felt normal.

"Here!" he gasped, his energy failing despite his iron will. "The nexus, between worlds. Here, the veil between the swamp and our homes is thin, paper thin. Perhaps not even there at all. It is hard to say. There is always something unearthly about the mangrove, even back home. Perhaps this awfulness always has a whisper in our world..."

He lay against a tree, clearly tired, sweat on his body which was looking one step away from emaciated.

"Keep guard...this will be...difficult...the swamp may...resist...." he mumbled as he closed his eyes and went into a meditative trance, pressing his palms together and then to his forehead, mumbling a chant.

The stifling heat wasn't as overpowering as it had been among the trees, but El Heraldo was still sweating and grumpy by the time the two spirit-bearers took flight. His mood was made no better when Broke Crow had ordered their descent into a seemingly random part of the swamp, muttering to himself "Hope he hasn't started to go crazy from bein' around that woman, that'd suck." Nonetheless, he put down the Master Mage with all due care, taking up position facing the opposite direction that Young Britannia did.

"Can't be all that many supers, they'd be big news around here." he commented to Agnus, staring moodily into the murky trees and evil-smelling water, ears twitching as insects hummed around them.

GM

The two heroes waited for countless dreary moments, kept company with the droning of broken crow and the buzzing of insects that they swatted away without respite.

At one point, Young Brittania turned away from resting against a tree. El Heraldo spied a pulsating purple leech attatched squarely between her shoulder blades, enjoying the treat.

Before he could move to mention the parasite, the water behind him exploded, as the jaws of an enormous crocodile snapped shut mere centimetres from the hero. The beast had swam silently up to him, and only the heroes uncanny reflexes had saved him from being caught in the creatures maw. The ancient terror must have been twenty feet long, at least, driven by some horrible rage.

Broken Crow snapped one eye open to give the two heroes a look.

"Take care of that! I'm concentrating!" he snapped, before shutting it again and continuing his incantation.

GM

Before the startled hero's could react, the enormous crocodile pounced forth once again, completely at home in the fetid waters of the swamp that were knee high on the costumed pair.

This time, it did not err, and its powerful jaws closed around El Heraldo, picking him up clean from the water and waving him about like a rag doll, or victory prize, all the time its maw crushing the hero.

It rolled to the left, then the right, as if a thousand whips, or an ancient spirit was driving it to even greater bloodlust than would be normal for its draconic nature. Ferocious as its species was, this huge and ancient thing was wilder than its kin. It was possessed!

With a wild cry of surprise, El Heraldo quickly wrenched himself free from the beast's jaws, forcing its mouth open with his mighty arms!

As he fled from the crocodile's hungry teeth, he gave the animal a parting kick that missed, much to his frustration. "Sure thing, Broken Crow! We'll take care of this thing!"

Turning to Young Britannia he added "Agnus! How about we start punching and blasting this beastie?" he readied himself for battle, fists clenched and ready to dive to intercept the massive lizard.

Despite the seriousness of the situation Agnus couldn’t help but give a little smile

“Aw but she seems really keen on you and make such a lovely couple. Though I could do with a new handbag…â€

Ignoring this strange itch she had just behind her shoulder blades she braced on arm against the other as she build up a charge of energy from her aura. As the energy built up she kept an eye on the massive reptilian beast looking for just the right moment. Then she let fly with a massive burst if light towards the beastie.

GM

The Blast of light erupted straight at the mid section of the enormous crocodile, exploding in steam and brilliance. The Croc itself was spun, and flew through the swamp from the impact, breaking branch and root till it landed several dozen yards away, steam rising from its hide, and scrabbling its limbs ineffectively.

Whatever rage had gripped it, evaporated. It slunk once more into the grey and filthy swamp waters, swimming off to nurse its wounds.

Broken Crow opened one eye again in the middle of his murmuring.

"Nearly there! can you feel it...we are returning...

..and so are they..." he said, shifting his eye.

In the distance, the swamp people of Malaise had come to the end of their hunt, and were creeping through the roots and vegetation towards the duo.

"...I'm going to bring us home..." said Broken Crow as the Marsh started to shift...

• 2 weeks later...

"I'll take care of them Broken Crow!" Heraldo shouted, hurtling through the air in a golden blaze and slamming into the midst of Malaise's servants. Raising the Bandera, he drew on its power to touch the will and spirit, sending a wave of fear rippling through the crowd of cultists! Standing in the middle of the riot of terror, the flamboyant paragon shouted "GO BACK! Return to your mistress, and do not dare follow us again!" The air around him was filled with distant shouts, like a mass of warriors preparing an unstoppable charge!

Turning to Young Britannia he added "YB! Let's get this done!"

GM

The air, heavy and wet, was now alive not just with the crawling and creeping denizens of the swamp, but the screams of terror from the swamp people. 

Not all fled, not all cowered, but all wailed. A futile spear, a futile dart, and a futile arrow whizzed through the air  in half hearted defiance at El Heraldo, but the back of the people had broken. 

Broken crow prized one eye open. 

"You sound like a General..." he laughed at El Heraldo's rousing speech. 

"And now, we charge into the future..." he said, raising his hands in a prayer to unknown gods and forces. 

"It has been interesting knowing you..." he said with a smile at Young Brittania. "And to know that there are heroes for justice and liberty in the future is warming to the soul. But remember, it is vital that you..."

Broken Crow faded, evaporating into fog and mist, as did their surroundings. For a moment, there was a sense of a lurch. And then, the vision cleared and they were back in a swamp. 

The air, whilst hot and wet, was no longer oppressive, and the sun seemed to sing of joy rather than of gravity. 

They were, undoubtedly, back in their own time, in their own world...

Agnus blushed at Broken Crow’s comment’s, she really hoped that the Master Mage’s didn’t share memories in the same way that she and others did or if she did meet the current Master Mage there would be a lot of awkward silences. Before she could say anything back the world just lurched around them, she hoped she had enough time to blow him a small kiss as they faded from the 19th Century and back to the 21st Century.

Even then when she arrived she checked her phone to see if they we’re really back home, though she didn't really expect a good signal in the middle of the swamp. but on the off chance it did work she would have liked have know how long they’ve been away. Still she somehow knew that they were back home, ever since she’d been in the 19th century she’d had the vaguest itch of another version of the spirit just on the edge of her (mystical) senses.

“Well we’ve got Madame Malise to worry about, but not right now, I suggest we go home and get some rest. Do you want to fly? Or I could teleport us both back to the studio.â€

Heraldo looked baffled and began "We have to...wait! Master Mage, wha-?" only for the question to be shaken clean out of him! As the two spirit-bearers were catapulted into the future, the teen paragon crashed to the ground and lay there for a while, moaning quietly as the world reeled around him like a teapot in a whirlpool. Getting back to his feet he looked around at the swamp, feeling the world of difference between it and the realm of the Maiden with a relieved grin. Resting against a tree he took a few experimental breaths and turned his face to the fresher, brighter Sun, taking off his hat and mask as he did so.

Turning to Young Britannia with joy he exclaimed "Woohoo! We did it Why-Bee! We got the Chains, stopped Lorenzo's crazy plan, got Broken Crow outta the hands of that crazy Madame, and-! Oh. Oh no." the resplendently-dressed boy stopped still, face paling as he remembered "Lorenzo's still in the past. We screwed up! Oh, Dios en Cielo I screwed up! I suck at heroing!" he wailed, clutching his face in his gloved hands.

Dropping them enough so his teary hazel eyes peeked out, he added glumly to Young Britannia "If it's okay, can we teleport please, miss Stone? And..." he looked dismally hopeful "...um...can I hug you, please?"

GM

The two avatars of justice were soon away from the swamp, and back to the jungle of urbanity that was freedom city. Mere moments after they left, a few hundred yards away, on a muddy, barely usable track, a heavy duty jeep pulled up. 

A man stepped out, a tall, thin and elderly man, in his sixties, with white hair and a sun hat. He wore tinted lenses and had weather beaten skin. 

"I was..sure they would be around here...this time. Still, it ain't a precise science, history. No sir, it ain't precise at all..."

He paused, listening to the sounds of the swamp. 

"Maybe I just missed them. Maybe...."

He turned and opened the door to the car. 

"...time to go. Always time..." he said to the figure inside, before stepping inside and driving off. 

As they did so, a lizard crawled over a bent dead wood, and surveyed the car driving off. Perhaps it was just any old swamp lizard. But it seemed to look at the car with great interest. 

It looked like a normal lizard. Lizard legs, lizard tail, lizard skin. And a pair of familiar, and very human, brown-green eyes...

~ Fin? ~