Shark Week: Flying Sharks? (IC)

Raveled

"Do you have any idea how hard it is to make a name for yourself as an archeologist? It's not all Indiana Jones or Danger Inc, swinging in to snatch a golden idol off a pedestal. It takes years to find a proper site to excavate, more years to get funding and permission lined up, and if you're lucky you'll get a couple of papers out of the whole deal so you can go out to do it again! I... I needed an in, I needed a leg up, I..." Hayden hung his head, letting his eyes drop to the floor. "It was the Serpent People. They told me where there were old Atlantean ruins to excavate. It was the deal of the century. I mean, Atlantis? At-f***ing--lantis? We know more about it from a half-finished pamphlet by Plato than we do from history books. I... thought I was helping the world.

"And then last week they called it all in. They told me to donate the skeleton to the aquarium, said it needed to be front-and-center somehow. They said it would only be used for a distraction. They promised that no one would get hurt." Hayden's head snapped up and his gaze switched between the two heroes quickly. "I can tell you where they'll be. Or at least where they had the skeleton delivered. But you have to leave now, if Ernest or... or anyone realizes what's happening -- We have to get to the garage, quickly!"

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hearing those words made Crow's suspicions even worse. Scared of the butler, desiring a hasty exit, and describing a conspiracy. Serpent People, no less. The Parkhurst Denizens were going to have conniptions. This was going far deeper than he expected. Which meant chance for even bigger heroics! He resisted the urge to smile. Focus. Prioritize. We're the heroes, and we're going to save the day. First priority was to get the man out. Crow flipped the piece of chalk out of his pocket and scanned the hem of his coat, noting the Rune of The Veil he so often used to cloak himself in training. Quick tweak with the chalk...okay...he'd done this once before and it'd worked fairly well. Besides singing his fingers. Hopefully that wouldn't happen here.

There. Now a rune of veils was a rune of piercing veils. He focused his mind on it, and the chalk began to smoke and burn along with the regular rune. For a brief instant, his eyes felt like hot irons had been driven into them - pain - but it was only a second. Then he could See. And see very clearly indeed. He turned his face towards the house, seeing through ceiling and walls. First, find that shifty butler. Ah, there he was - master bedroom, tidying up the shee-wait, no, he was in the kitchen, working a tea ket-hold up, isn't that him in the wine cellar, picking out a...

Crow blinked. Three butlers. And from his eyes...very much alike. Nobody else in the house.

"Glow, heard everything - we've got a problem. Butler is currently in the wine cellar. And the kitchen. And the master bedroom. Seeing three exact replicas of him - thinking either illusion or clone. Probably magic. Besides them and the four of you in the sitting room, nobody else in the house. I can make out a clear route from that room to the garage; do you want to play this loud or quiet?"

Right, can you fill me in on Serpent people? I don't know nearly as much as I'd like to at the moment. Kristin thought back at Morgan. Let's go with quiet, I don't want to put Hayden in the firing line if we don't have to. Wait, why are you asking me?

There wasn't really time to argue about who was going to make decisions, so the young telekinetic just went with it. "Right, lets move," she said as she beckoned at Hayden. "We're going for the garage and we're going to try to get there without running into any Ernests. If we do, stay behind us and let us deal with it."

She turned to move towards the door, then glanced at Heraldo. "There's three of them. Kitchen, cellar and bedroom. Should be able to sneak on out without any trouble."

Crow, think you can steer us to the garage without running into anyone? You better meet us there if you can, too.

The sudden turn the visit had taken was a complete surprise to Subito, and he had to struggle to keep naked confusion from his voice as he replied softly to Hayden "The Serpent people? Seriously? I have heard little good and much ill arising from any dealings with them. That aside, I understand wholly your frustration," he said, thinking back to his long rankling in the shadow of his incredible elder sister "real knowledge of the Atlanteans would be of tremendous good and interest to all our people."

He removed his hat and ran his heavy fingers around his curly hair with a sigh "Very well, tell us, and we-" he was interrupted by Kristin's interjection. Listening to the quiet air of the manor El Heraldo nodded twice and returned his feathered hat to its rightful place, drew his Banner and muttered to her "Understood, O luminescent Glow. If you wish for me to carry Mr. Hayden out of here I will do so instantly." He placed a hand on the other man's shoulder in case this was needed, gently pushing Todd towards the door, with himself angled to shield the man from attack.

How the blazes did Kris know about that? What's going on? he wondered in total befuddlement.

Crow nodded, then caught himself - nobody was there. Why was he nodding? Facepalm.

Aaand the rock was in that hand.

Glow got a few moments of Gaelic words being broadcast into her head that weren't entirely polite. At least not by the sounds of them. Crow rubbed his forehead with his other hand and mumbled to the rock, scanning the route through the building. Fairly straightforward...

"Okay, out the door, left, then right. Through a library, second door between the shelves, not the one beside the globe. Go straight after that, through a workshop, and then you'll reach one of the garage doors. Inside there's...looks like two, thr-holy crap is that a Mustang? A vintage Mustang?"

His train of thought on the Serpent People (or rather what he could recall about them from late-night Parkhurst study sessions) promptly crashed.

"...uh, Glow, you can drive a stick, right?"

Glow froze at the sudden torrent of Gaelic curses, and was half-way through turning towards Heraldo, intending to send the patriotic powerhouse to Crow's aid when normal communication resumed.

Don't DO that! I thought you were in trouble you idiot!

With her defensive barrier wrapped tightly around her the telekinetic began to lead the way towards the garage, following the path scouted out by Crow. Drive stick? I can't drive period. Hopefully one of these guys can. If not we might just fly Hayden on out of here. Damn, we probably should have just done that to start with!

Glow and El Heraldo hurried out of the study, Todd Hayden in tow. They ducked through a door and into the main area of the mansion -- to find Ernest waiting for them. "You cannot leave, sir," he said to Hayden. "The masters will be most displeased."

"I knew that you would prove to be a bother," another Ernest said as he descended the stairs towards the ground floor. "If you had just left earlier, all of this unpleasantness could have been avoided."

"Not that it shall be entirely unpleasant," a third Ernest said, rounding a corner and wiping his hands on a rag. "I shall greatly enjoy gnawing the meat from your bones." He grinned at the group, showing teeth that were far too sharp for a man.

Hayden cowered behind the heroes. "Don't underestimate them! The Serpent People sent them to watch me. They're not human!"

The three Ernests moved in eerie concert, spreading out to cover the heroes' path, each of them showing gnashing teeth and grasping claws. It looked a tad incongruous to see the monsters dressed in stuffy suits, but there was nothing amusing in their evident malice. There was a sudden blur of movement from the three monsters and they were suddenly right in Glow and El Heraldo's faces, swinging their claws in tight arcs. The nimble Aussie managed to sidestep one blow but felt the other one rip into her arm; the paragon's bright shirt was shredded as the last creature ran headfirst into him and started trying to chew through his chest and to his heart.

Glow blinked in surprise as she suddenly found herself suddenly confronted by the three Ernests.

Crow! What the hell? I thought you were watching these guys? she thought angrily at her magical teammate. Why didn't you warn us?

There wasn't time for further recriminations however as the false butlers exploded into absurdly quick movement. Somehow the young telekinetic managed to avoid one of the pair that went for her, but the other was far too quick and accurate. Her barriers flared bright green as the blow struck home, holding firm against the furious attack.

Acting on instinct the heroine unleashed an attack of her own against the quicker of the two Ernests, and a fist of green energy thumped solidly into it as she tried to force it away.

You better get in here quick!

At Glow's recrimination, Crow's eyes flashed all over the mansion until he found the melee, and his eyes widened. One moment the Ernests were working, the next they were...there?

Crap. Genetically modified or magically boosted, these things were fast. And he said as such.

"Couldn't keep up with 'em, they moved faster than I could see!" Focus, Crow; how did you and the others tackle speedsters in the Doom Room? You aimed for the - "Legs! Glow, tell H to go for the legs - trip 'em up!

Crow shoved the pebble in one of his numerous pockets, focusing at a point where the melee had just kicked in. Just like a training session - some sparks floated about his fingers and he smiled.

To the perspective of the butlers, one moment they were savaging the heroes, the next two knives had flashed by one of the beasts attacking Glow. Abruptly, that Ernest found himself tied up something fierce by a series of wires, and Crow held onto the other ends in his gloves; perched atop a nearby grandfather clock. His eyes smiled. And the room was lit up for a split second as raw elemental lightning coursed down the wires and slammed into the butler like an electrical sledgehammer.

The appearance of the three Ernests, their revelation of a truly inhuman nture, and speedy attack would have given better-experienced heroes a slight pause. For El Heraldo it was like someone was taking a sledgehammer to what counted as reality. What, I..what ARE they? he thought in horror.

Then they struck at him and Glow, with their monstrous fangs and claws, a rain of slashes and gnawings that he would remember in many nightmares to come.

Gah! What-ugh, I despise these Serpent People! thought Subito furiously, glaring at the fresh tear in his fabulous and comfortable jacket and shirt. To his relief, the attack didn't so much as scratch him, and he thought gravely My thanks, Blue Dame. Now for the destruction of these creatures...

Swinging out his Banner, he slammed his left foot into the ground, propelling himself towards the...thing? that had made a rip in his favorite costume, sweeping the flagpole around straight for its head! Wretched thing! he snarled You and all your kind will pay for this!

Which made the ensuing 'whiff' as the flag passed neatly over the target all the more embarassing. "Confound you!" he grumbled, flying quickly over to Glow's side, preparing to soar to Crow's aid should he be attacked.

Crow's wires bound the killer butler neatly, but before long it was clawing and biting at them. The wires weren't thick, and soon the heroes could see them begin to fray and tear under the monster's claws. Meanwhile its brothers turned back towards the heroes. One concentrated on Glow and the other on Crow, but the brightly colored hero of Peutro Rico distracted the monster from the coat'ed Cowl. Unfortunately the Aussie telekinetic wasn't so lucky, feeling a razor-tipped hand tear a hole in her costume.

Glow whooped in delight as Crow's wire-trailing knives wrapped one of the high-speed butlers up tightly, but she didn't have too much time to celebrate as her second attacker blazed back in at high speed. The swiping claws came in far too quickly for her to avoid and this time her barrier didn't hold.

A desperate last-moment twist of the hips saved her from more serious harm, but the Serpent-butler's claws still raked painfully down her side, shredding her jumpsuit from her ribs to her hip and raising wicked looking welts on her skin. With a gasp of pain the young heroine stumbled aside, unable to focus well enough to retaliate with her telekinesis.

Despite Crow's grim exterior in combat, there were still some things that could tick him off. Chief among them, seeing a comrade injured. The black-clad hero fixed an...irked...pair of eyes on the butler that had struck Glow, and spat a truly awful Gaelic curse in his direction. The next words were clipped, and cold.

"Heraldo, hit him low. I got high."

The butler in front of them's eyes went wide as Crow fairly -leapt- over the two of them, the coat billowing out as he flipped in midair. A single Talon appeared in his right hand; he spun it about his fingers and threw it high, the weapon spinning end-over-end. His aim was true, and the blunt pommel of the throwing knife impacted with a sickening crunch to the incognito monster's nose.

Crow hit the ground in a roll, and promptly leapt sideways in a defensive maneuver, taking in the movement of the remaining two opponents and Heraldo's followup.

The noise of the savage butler's attack against Kristin barraged El Heraldo's powerful hearing, causing him to flinch involuntarily and start backwards a step. With a muttered litany of recriminations, he pulled back a fist and was about to soar towards the creature when Crow's instructions slid like iced water into his ears

"Heraldo, hit him low. I got high."

"It shall be done!" he barked in reply, bending his knees and holding the Banner like a lance, he watched as Crow sent a knife into the bizarre figure's face. The instant that happened, he shot forward, jammed the flagpole into the ground, and spun around it to deliver a punishing blow to the inhuman thing's stomach.

Recovering his feet, he readied himself for the next move.

The monster butler folded around the flagpole and rode the blow, springing back up and unharmed, hissing at the heroes. The daggers had ripped open its coat and shirt, revealing skin that was hairless and had far too much sheen in the light, like an eel's skin. The monster shivered abruptly and disappeared, flipping over the heroes' heads and landing behind Crow. It slashed out with a backhand but the teen hero somehow contorted his body into almost-impossible angles and avoiding the claws, though the hem of his coat did get a little shredded. The other swiped its claws in a closing circle, hoping to hem in El Heraldo, but the paragon easily danced out of its way. The last once continued to struggle with its bindings, snapping several of the wires but still effectively bound.

Glow got a much-needed moment to catch her breath as Crow and Heraldo tag-teamed one of the Ernests, although it was a bit unsettling that the creature came away unharmed after the powerful double attack. She glanced quickly at Hayden to confirm that the man wasn't in any immediate danger, then turned her attention back to the speedy attackers.

"A little cover Heraldo?!" she called out to her powerhouse teammate as she squared her shoulders and planted her feet firmly. Hope he remembers how much concentration this takes me...

Glow spread her arms wide as she poured her focus into her powers, her eyes snapping back and forth between the three false butlers as she tracked them. Each of the Serpent creatures found itself targeted by a translucent fist of telekinetic energy as she unleashed her concentrated will at all three.

Crow felt a crack in his back as he fairly leapt backwards from the monster butler's shots; he was barely able to evade them, even after the feint caught him completely flatfooted. He even heard the shred of his coat, and his eyes narrowed - the coat was indestructible; anything that could do that...

The glow of Glow's glows caught his attention right there, and he promptly took to the air as the telekinetic fists went flying. The light show lent a perfect element of organized chaos to the battle, and he landed square on the spine of the creature hog-tied by his now-fraying wires. Heraldo and Glow saw the black-clad figure bend over the snake's head, obscuring the proceedings; and a brief flash of rumbling energies. Followed by an audible crunch.

He stood up over the butler's supine form and cracked his knuckles. There was a small crack in the tile where monster head had met floor. And that Ernest was now off in la-la land.

Sliding around the flailing strikes the monster swung at him, Subito Sondo wondered once again why everything kept leading back to some savage plot or other

Bet I'll go to a hot dog stand and it'll turn out the guy running it is trying to poison everyone and backed by the Grue or something he thought angrily, glaring through his cloth mask at the bestial figure Wonder what these things even are. he was abruptly interrupted by the present, and by Kristin's shout:

"A little cover Heraldo?!"

Saluting in silent acknowledgement of the request, the powerfully-built young Puerto-Rican spun on his heel to confront the sinister butler-monster that had taken a swipe at him. Quickly guaging the distance between them in the warm spring light streaming in, El Heraldo took a firm step forwards on the tiled floor, swung back a red fist, took another step and slammed it with exacting precision directly at a space about a a foot behind the creature's snarling face. The dull crack that signalled a direct hit echoed around the hall, and spinning around the now-stern patriotic paragon took a ready stance, holding the Banner lightly in his hands and steeling himself for the speeds needed to intercept any assaults on the energetic telekinetic.

Glow let her intense concentration relax a little as the three Ernests went reeling away from her strikes. Morgan's impressive acrobatic display and brutal finish of one of the attackers caught her eye and she let out a low whistle of approval for the older hero's talents.

"Get 'em guys! Don't let up!" she called out, not wanting to let the other two recover.

With Heraldo also on the attack she had time to collect herself and measure her next attack, and a carefully aimed telekinetic hammerblow descended on one of the battered butlers. The sound of the impact was a dull thud and the serpent-thing dropped to the floor, joining its brother in unconsciousness.

Crow followed that order to the letter, leaping into a tumble in front of the last monster butler. He planted his hands on the ground, pushing up in a strong forward motion; both his feet wreathed in ghostly energies as a rune on his cuff smoked and burned.

Unfortunately, he was still slightly disoriented from before; and his spine was beginning to revoke it's 'working' privileges given the abuse he'd been heaping on it in the fight; the twin boots went wide, and he flew by the butler with a curse in Old Gaelic, hitting the ground on the other side in a neat landing.

"Heraldo, it's all you." The teen said coldly, keeping the facade up - and he leapt to the side, just in time...

Subito winced slightly at the harsh outburst from the other student Morgan's got a real sharp mouth on him he thought, quietly shuffling the obscenity from his brain.

At the signal from the other boy to attack he sprang forward, all but leaping into the air as he sent a powerful fist hurtling in the direction of the unsettling, inhuman thing before him, the breeze he kicked up ruffling his clothes, his hat, and especially the glorious red white and blue Banner he held clenched in his left hand.

He glowed with a nation's power, a people's might, a shining figure of salvation and defense against the enemies of the just, a very herald of Victory!

And he missed.

He skidded along the floor, took his bearings, tensed himself for the next try, and kept a weather eye on the red-headed telekinetic, to all appearances quite calm.

DAMNIT

We must try again, do not be so impatient-

If I can 'barely even hit things like this, then what's the use of trying again?

Peace, child. Try. Again.

...Very well.

Unfortunately, it seemed that the Claremont teens wouldn't get a chance to try again. The monster's eyes flicked between the assembled heroes, its fallen brother-clones, and the cowering Hayden. Finally it pointed a finger at the archeologist. "You have broken your pact with our masters," it hissed. "Stay well away from the water, and maybe you will be allowed to live out your life in simple disgrace!" Then it turned and raced out of the stately home, leaving the other bodies to lay where they were.

After a few minutes Hayden poked his head out of the library and glanced around. "Are they gone? I thought I'd never be free of them..." He lead the teens to the garage, where a classic Mustang muscle car sat, cherry-red and gleaming. They all piled in and Hayden pulled out smoothly, handling the vehicle's heavy horsepower with ease. "I suppose you have a lot of questions," he said. "Well, settle in and I'll try to explain."