Voltage, the King, and Marvelous Machines

Thunder King

GM

January 29th, 5:50 PM, 2012

The sun was setting on Greenbank. A large van pulled up to an empty warehouse. Three large, burly men hopped out the back and began carrying large, heavy looking machinery in. It was rather conspicuous looking, which is why it was in an isolated part of Greenbank. Two men talked in hushed tones beside the van.

One of the men was Dr. Benjamin Green, ostracized in the scientific community for insisting that he discovered the source for all genetic super powers, a source he claimed could be manipulated. The Albright institute had thrown him out on the street and shut down all of his research. They were quite angry at the idea that he wanted to sell his research for profit. They were not interested in super soldiers.

The younger man was Andrew Hill, heir to the Hill fortune. He had everything he wanted in the world; money, fame, women. He did not have the one thing he craved more than anything else; super powers. Dr. Green would help him with that.

Andrew cast a nervous look up at the nearby warehouses, and walked hurredly inside. He was excited and nervous. Within less than an hour, he would have powers. He just hoped no superheroes would arrive to screw it up for him.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Marceau Suvou, AKA the King of Suits in his red and black cape and cowl, crouched on the roof of another warehouse a little more than a block away, peering through his trusty binoculars at the sight of a clearly wealthy young man going into a warehouse in the late afternoon along with a trio of burly types who had 'THUG' written all over them. Their bulky cargo also sparked deep suspicions in his heart, and he was glad that the fingerprints from the hardware store robbery had led him here so quickly. The stolen bolts, screws and transformers would have raised suspicions in any case, but they had been so similar to another recent rash of thefts that he had gone four nights devoted solely to tracking the movements of the thieves up to the present, rarely needing to raise his voice above his normal register to get the information he wanted. The problem had been finding people who knew what was going on.

With an easy bound he cleared the space between the roof he was on, and began to race over the warehouses to the mysterious meeting place, hoping there wasn't some kind of ghastly and dangerous experiment going he would need to stop...

Voltage floated ominously through the air over the warehouse. His information tracking had led him to this location, at this time. There would be a meeting shortly after dusk, with tons of electronics equipment, much of it stolen. He did not know what was going on, but he had to figure it out. As he looked around, he spotted a man below. He flew downwards, towards the man to get a look at him. His mind quickly scanned the internet.

"King of Suits, superhero. No powers..." He mumbled to himself. "I can probably introduce myself. We're probably working the same case." With that, he flew towards the other man.

He landed nearby and gave off a slight, harmless discharge, trying to signal the other hero. He would have to be cautious, he did not want it to look like he was attacking.

Marceau was deep in thought when Voltage gave off the electric flare, wondering if there was already something dangerous inside he would need to take down before he could focus on the(hopefully) more fragile mastermind of this plot. He was half-way through rehearsing in his head a way to disable a low-level superhuman with a barrage of disorienting attacks when the blue flash out of the corner of his eyes was shot off. Stopping only for a second he wheeled around to face whoever it was, a razor card already pinned between his left thumb and forefinger. Seeing the grey-clothed man before him he said in a low, hesitant voice that still reverberated through the air "...Hello, I'm the King of Suits. Who might you be, and why are you here?" he kept half an eye on his goal and the other whole and half on the new arrival. No telling what he might be capable of.

"Don't worry...I'm not a threat. Voltage said, raising his hands. I heard news of a series of thefts, technology and such. I was investigating a meeting I found out about when I spotted you. I assume you've been following this situation too?" He kept his hands raised. This was a tense situation, he did not want to provoke a potential ally. "My name is Voltage. I possess the power of electricity control, I'm a new superhero. My powers give me access to the internet. I already know about you, King of Suits."

At the oddly-colored man's assurance, Marceau sighed with relief and returned the card to its deck. Racing across the chill metal roof he launched himself off the edge, landing next to his new acquaintance. Offering his hand and a warm smile, he said cheerily "Pleased to meet you Voltage! As you already know about me, that at least saves me the trouble of explaining myself" he looked thoughtfully over at the warehouse giving off a red light from the reflected rays of the descending sun "So..all I know is that a whole bunch of heavy equipment, much of it to do with putting together electrical devices, has been stolen in recent weeks, and this seems to be where it's all been taken. You know anything else?" he began casually rolling his beard through three metal rings he took from his left hand, casually glancing back at Voltage as he did so.

"Yeah, there's a kid with them, no more than seventeen, eighteen years old. He's there voluntarily, too. Have to keep that in mind. I have a feeling they're going to build something in there, and I doubt we want to let them." He slowly began to lift off of the ground. "There are three guards. If you go in directly and I try to come from above, we should be able to take them out without any trouble."

"It will certainly give them few avenues of escape besides 'through'" the King of Suits agreed mildly, scanning the front door of the rather autumnal-looking warehouse. "Seeing as you're the one with the electrical powers, I've no issue with you taking down whatever equipment they've got set up" saluting Voltage smartly he added quietly "I wonder why they put guards at the door? All it will likely do in a city like this is attract attention from precisely the people they'd want the most to avoid" shrugging the question off he took off at a run for a warehouse roof he could attack the guards at a better angle from, leaping into space before firing his grapple gun to descend safely, slipping through the darkening shadows until he could climb up it out of sight, the reddening sky doing a lot to make him harder to see, but he wasn't inclined to take any chances with stealth tonight.

GM

Three men stood in front of a warehouse door for reasons none of them understood. Oh, well the money was good. All they were supposed to do is look intimidating and important. They didn't know that two superheroes were about to drop in on them and make their lives unpleasant.

"Hey, Jim..." One of them said, tapping one of the others. "...is that what I think it is?"

"Oh, this is gonna suck, guys, we have a cape!" He shouted, pulling his pistol.

With a sigh of irritation, the King of Suits whipped out a small smoke bomb from his utility belt and threw it with unerring accuracy at the feet of the men guarding the door, in order to make his next movements without being shot at,though he figured they wouldn't have much chance hitting him anyway seeing as they seemed to only have pistols. Still, he wanted a little assurance, and thus lobbed the gas-exhaling sphere just before he swung onto roof above them. Once there, he calmly got his deck in order; he would have need of it pretty soon it seemed.

Voltage gazed down at the three men and spotted one through the thick smoke, eyes darting around in a panic. Voltage concentrated for a moment as a charge built up near the man. A silver bolt of lightning coursed directly through his body. The man collapsed. Voltage, confident that his target was incapacitated, settled down on the roof nearby to see what they would do next.

Seeing the flash of lightening erupt in the smoke cloud, Marceau waved at Voltage, gesturing broadly at the general vicinity of the roof of the warehouse he perched on, aiming to encourage Voltage to take care of the nefarious business inside. Guessing it would be a good idea to take care of the people who could most quickly leave to get aid, the King of Suits rappelled down the front of the warehouse into the smoke cloud, where he landed with a minimal displacement of the smokescreen. He hesitated only for a few seconds, feeling the air move about him, before suddenly lashing out at a darker patch of smoke than the norm, he smiled in triumph as his fist lashed out at the luckless guard...

...and impacted a hairsbreadth from the vague form of the other man. In the silence that followed he muttered "Blast", readying himself for another attempt.

Voltage nodded to King of Suits and took off towards the door, flying overhead and landing inside. He glanced around, trying to see where they could have gone. He spotted a large storage container that nearly reached the roof, and teleported to the top of it to get a better look. That is when he spotted the machine.

GM

"He's over here!" One of the men shouted, barely glimpsing a fist beside his head. He raised his pistol and aimed in King of Suit's general direction. If he had known how close a shot it was, he may have been heartened.

The other man, however, raised his pistol and failed to hit anywhere near either his partner, or his target.

Hearing the shot whiz by, and seeing its trail through the think smoke, the King of Suits sprang into action! Charging at the point he determined the shot had come from, he went with a powerful right to where he hoped the stomach was. He hoped the man wasn't wearing armor, mainly because his knuckles were scarred as it was.

By sheer luck, he caught the fellow square on the belly, pushing out the air in his lungs and sending him to the ground.

As the bullet whizzed past him, Marceau spun around, throwing the pair of bolas in the direction it had come from...and saw it go well past the hazy outline in the fog. Taking a razor card from his belt, he threw it after the bolas, turning them back on the right track, where they sailed elegantly through the air towards the man's legs.

Marceau had to admit, in the middle of a smokescreen with a blazing setting sun casting a shade of red over most everything, and the smell of spent bullets in the air, this was one of the times he deeply hated what he did.

The report of bullets was something Marceau had learned to deeply hate, not because he despised the weapons that shot them, but rather because it brought to mind a deeply unpleasant chapter of his youth in the jungles of southeast Asia. His experiences fighting there had ingrained in him a terror that to that day he still felt, a jolt of icy fear that crawled down his spine like a spider and settled as a clenching of his stomach. Thus it seemed to him quite right and reasonable to hurl himself at the unfortunate man who persisted in his attempted defense of the warehouse and his person, and bring both his knuckles together into a brutal hammer on his head.

Feeling the jar of bone on his gloves, the King of Suits winced and rubbed them fervently before ducking through the opened maw of the warehouse, tossing his smoke-clearer card behind himself as he went, the sun's rays sharpening his silhouette in a fashion he would have felt deeply pleased at if he could have seen it. He surveyed the situation before him with as much confidence as he could muster, attempting to project an air of confidence and iron will that he rarely bothered with.

Voltage stood atop one of the containers inside the warehouse, gazing down at the workers assembling the machine. He had been watching them keenly, interested in exactly what it did. The young man that had come in with them was sitting nearby, looking bored. Voltage glanced over and noticed that the smoke was gone. Confident that King of Suits had dispatched with the thugs, he flew towards the entrance at a low height and greeted the man with a hushed voice.

"I'm still not sure what they're building. I got in there and spotted a dangerous looking robot. The scientist is armed with some sort of device. I was just about to launch an attack when you walked in. What do you think we should do?"

"I'd say it would be best if we attacked the robot first" Marceau answered quietly "The odds of it being the most dangerous foe we'll meet here is very high, most automatons in this business are worse news than entire platoons" he walked forward quietly, face taut with the news "I dare say it can't fly, so you ought to be pretty safe from it" glancing over at him he added blithely "Don't worry, I won't get in the way, I can dodge very well" sliding on the gauntlets housed in pouches on his thighs, he asked casually "What do they seem to be using the parts for?" he scanned the cavernous space before him with the utmost care, hoping to catch anyone hiding before they could surprise him.

Voltage's eyes darted around the room, before he spotted a laptop in the distance. Suddenly, his eyes went wide. "No..." He shook his head. "They're building a machine to give that kid super powers...except it's not going to work. It's highly volatile, we have to stop it before something bad happens, like an explosion. With that, he flew into the air and headed towards them.

"Right on!" said Marceau, inwardly wondering how Voltage had figured out what it was. At any rate, stopping a potential explosion was extremely important, and the sooner it was stopped he could find out what precisely was going on. He had a suspicion it would have something to do with some rich family being out of money and turning to crime to pay some fantastic debt.

Tightening the gauntlet's straps, he followed Voltage with his grapple gun, swinging at top speed towards the forbidding assembly of electronics and machinery.