Artistic License (IC)

Dariusprime

Vicky glanced at Lou's sketches before her eyes fell on her tablet's display where it sat discarded for the moment. The screen was showing some half-painted concept art for a war-golem. "There's one last piece in that folder," she started motioning towards the piece of electronic equipment, "It's a splash page of Kris, Keirsha, and Shaith fighting a rather angry dragon in some bone filled catacombs."

"Its entire existence falls under 'rule of cool'," the red-eyed artist admitted.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mona laughed lightly, "Vicky, we exist under Rule of Cool."

"I mean, think about it. Heroes are essentially (generally) well-tolerated vigilantes. Ones that generate a lot of property damage, exist in a gray scale of law and wear some of the most ridiculous costumes outside of the circus." She drifted off, probably considering some of the worst offenders in costume design.

"Superheroes are important barometers for society as well as power fantasies given life," she continued before shaking her head.

"Sorry, went off on a tangent. What I meant to say is that Rule of Cool can work wonders as long as it is internally consistent."

Looking over the war golem and battle scene, she pointed out several areas of each, saying, "The articulation is lovely. The joints look plausible while still retaining a steampunk-ish aesthetic. Nice touch and helps with suspension of disbelief a lot. As the battle, I love it. Each character has a defining pose and placement, but the perspective is still drawn toward the dragon, as it should be. Nice focal point there, and the dragon as well as the people look like they have actual spines, not Slinkies."

"You'll put Lyfeld out of business in under a year."

"Most costumes aren't too horrible."

She was still scribbling in her notebook as she talked,

"Given, most heroes I know either wear more street wear as costumes, or have me design them, so naturally those would be excellant. Real life just gives way to the rules of practicality in most senses, obviously some of the fictional comics won't pay attention to things like the fact that most heroes want most if not all of their bodies covered with whatever invunable materials their using, or that bright colors are horrible for sneaking around."

She scribbled a few more lines before looking at her fingers and mentaly counting. After putting in one more thing she tore the paper out of the book and handed it to Mona,

"Anyway, estimated damage for the suits, and such, pay me sometime soonish, I'll buy the supplies once the check clears."

She walked over and took a look at the art work,

"Like the style, though, got a question. You guys gonna be covering any of the local heroes for this? I know Castle has the contract for the Freedom League but we all know they may protect the world, but it's the locals that protect Freedom when they're away. I'm sure if you ask lots will give you the scoop on some nice adventures that can make it in print."

"You're right. Most costumes aren't too bad really. You have seen my first excuse for a design though," replied Fulcrum, shivering.

Accepting the check, she glanced at the total and nodded, "Reasonable as ever, thank you. I should be able to pay you today. Maybe."

She was flipping through her account book when Carrie asked the most wonderful question. Her eyes lit up, and she grinned, "That's brilliant! I should ask...well...everyone! Yes, that could work well! I already know several who would enjoy starring in a book. I'm sure we could work out something for secret identities...yes, that would work nicely."

Stalking around as she wrote, she tore off a check with a flourish. And at one point she winked at Vicky. All before turning to Carrie and presenting her the check, plus tip. "I'd bear hug you, but I know you're much too quick."

• 2 weeks later...

"That and I can't afford another trip to the chiropractor."

She stretched a bit and rolled her shoulders and grabbing the check,

"Well at least not until I cash this. As for the hero thing, you can probably ask for individual interviews before stating such intent outright. If only because you really don't want anybody to know this is happening until you start the presses, otherwise, another comic company might try to nab it and it'd become a feeding frenzy."

Tucking the check in her purse, before walking over to the windows and tapping on the glass,

"Also, you guys need tinted windows in here, gotta protect your intellectual property afterall."

• 2 weeks later...

Vicky had to muster every ounce of will she had to keep from beaming at Fulcrum's compliments on her work. Though despite her best efforts a slight blush crept onto her face.

"Well the golem's body comes from a bunch of pictures of Ironclad and other armored heroes. It helped me keep the design looking clean and relatively basic. I suppose I should write a thank you letter to the folks at The Lab," she explained with a chuckle.

"Yeah, I'm especially happy with how Kiersha and Kris came out there. Magically hurled stalactites from one side, arrows exploding into frost from the other while Shaith, swords drawn and in a defensive stance, stares the beast down."

Turning to Lou she tried to articulate her thoughts she sipped some of her coffee. "The question is, an anthology with a specific theme or just ones where we're packed together because it'd be easier to put out one larger magazine every week or month?"

"She's right. I imagine the bigger publishers can snap up some of the more famous of the Capes with a larger paycheck, solidarity between Supers be damned," she commented. "The tinted windows are also a good idea, aside from protecting our IPs, there's eliminating glare from the screen of the computer based artists."

• 3 weeks later...

"Ha! I can pop a back like no one's business," joked Mona. Picking up her tablet, she began furiously making notes. Her memory was good but not that good. Can't have good ideas go to waste!

"Good point about the interviews. If my projections are accurate, we won't be financially competitive for up to five years. That's a conservative estimate," she continued, walking around the room with the little computer, "Castle Comics isn't above throwing ridiculous amounts of money at a project if it will eventually turn a profit. Right, Lou?" The ill-fated digital distribution program from a few years ago came to mind, and she was sure Lou remembered that stress.

"Any suggestions on who to ask first? Several of the best-known local heroes are also reserve Freedom League members. I'd rather avoid any legal entanglements at this stage."

She stopped and looked out the window. An elderly lady and her small dog walked by the window, the owner's eyes as big as saucers at the sight of Lou and Mona. Mona gave her a small wave and turned to the group, "Right. Tinting will be done this week."

"Inspiration strikes from all corners, Vicky. As you well know." Leaning against the wall, she continued, "Also keeps the designs looking pseudo-realistic. Helps the suspension of disbelief. I wondered how Sauron didn't poke his eyes out with his pauldrons."

"The poses really are wonderful. Lots going on, yes, but you positioned them for perspective and prevented clutter. At this rate you'll own this company before I get it off the ground." She punch-tapped Vicky gently on the arm.

"Well who do I know, Edge, he seemed like he'd like one. Cannonade might like the pubilicity for SHARPs,"

She had to tap her fingers, there were lots of heroes who she'd met, she had to think how many as Carrie,

"Gabriel, I'm not sure, Jubatus, either."

She scratched her head,

"We can't really advertise this, not conventionally, it'd get out too quickly. Directly asking them is our best bet, if heroes are good at anything, it's keeping secrets."

Which is why she didn't even consider Dragonfly, she liked her privacy. She was surprised to see her even support the lab like she did.

Vicky ducked her head to hide her blush at Mona's praise of her work, "Solid suspension of disbelief is a requirement if you're not going for something like the style used in Adventure Time. As for giant shoulders, don't know if you've ever had some time with World of Warcraft but I've seen shoulder armor in that game that defies 'SoD'."

The crimson-eyed artist beamed before rubbing the spot the publisher's knuckles connected with her arm, "Well, I probably should have set that picture at the top of the folder considering it is, when boiled down, a graphical elevator pitch."

The thought of asking around at school for volunteers crossed her mind before being pushed aside. Maybe later. No point in advertising you go to super hero high, she thought to herself.

Mona nodded, "Okay, Edge and Cannonade to start. I know Edge is working in Africa right now. Cannonade will have to first. Any of you know him? I've only met him in passing." She considered the other names before adding, "Gabriel may have some possibility if we pitched the idea correctly."

"You're right, Carrie. We have to ask each one directly, and ask each of them in a narrow window. Good at keeping secrets or not, we must assume the word will get out within a few days or weeks of this meeting. Any volunteers for this endeavor?" Fulcrum smiled and glanced at the gathered company.

"Not overly familiar with World of Warcraft beyond the television commercials. Are they really that bad? Are we talking Bulky Power Armor and Chainmail Bikini bad?"

"Sorry, Vicky," replied Fulcrum after realizing her 'gentle' tap wasn't quite that. "Graphical elevator pitch or not, it is a good example of multiple elements of artistic construction. I'm glad to have you on board."

"By which I mean, yes, but all means, you're hired. You'll be one of the founding members of this little band." She offered Vicky a handshake.

"It depends on your character's class, race, and gender," Vicky said. "My female human paladin had a pair of chain mail pants that covered slightly more than a pair of hot pants. The shoulders on the big melee classes however can be rather huge. Or include odd moving parts. But for the most part, the game's still fun despite some odd bits."

Taking Mona's hand she shook it, the teen's smile turned up a few degrees. "Thank you so much. I can't wait to see where in here I'll be working."

"As for recruiting talent, I've met Cannonade before. He's rather good at pounding on serpentmen and deep-ones," she commented recalling two of the times she'd fought alongside the SHARP-er.

Mona nodded and replied to Vicky, "Thank you. I won't downplay this position. We're all in for a lot of long hours until we're up-and-running. If you're ready to commit, then you have your choice of working space." With that Mona did a sweeping gesture around the room.

"Obviously remodeling is in order. You're welcome to do that if you choose. Although our budget is a bit tight. Especially with the window tinting. I'm thinking keep the two offices in back and re-frame their walls into two additional offices. Maybe one of those for your studio?"

"WoW must be fun considering the number of subscribers and years of service," Mona replied with a chuckle.

"Want to talk with Cannonade then, partner?"

"Committing I can do, as much as my schoolwork will allow anyway," Vicky said before poofing from one side of the room to the other to check out the offices.

"Well, I'm not exactly a contractor but I can, at the very least, help with the heavy lifting of the materials," she said looking over the rooms before glancing at her new coworkers and adding with a grin, "Then again, that's a tad redudant, isn't it?"

Returning to where she had started she took a sip of her coffee, "You have a phone book? I can give him a call and see if we can set up a meeting."