To be Free, by Sea (IC)

GM

<"Hello! Is there a Mr. Diego Cruz here? If so I and my friend would like to ask you some questions, we're are here to help">

A few casual workers, and indeed a few passers by looked around at the yell, but shrugged their shoulders or ignored it.

One man spun round at the call. He was a short, athletic man, with a mop of unruly black hair and an unshaven face which had a certain handsomeness laced with its grizzled granite look. He was dressed in jeans, a t shirt and a thick coat, and was smoking a cigarette as he tied up one of the moored super-yachts to the dock.

"That's me, who's asking?" he replied back, suspiciously, eyeing up the two young heroes.

"Yeah, who's asking???" echoed the voice of Jack Jackson, who had caught the yell with his astute ears and spun his Camera round to take another shot of his quarry.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Oh way to be subtle!" Kristin grumbled at Subito as he yelled out loud enough to attract attention from way more people than she would have liked. Well at least we found the guy we were looking for! She thought as Cruz answered. Oh damnit, not Jackson again!

"We are not making a spectacle of ourselves with that jerk watching!" She growled at Subito under her breath. "I do not want to be on the evening news again! Talk to Cruz, I'm going to go and distract Jackson. Somehow."

"Mister Jackson! You're still here! Did Steve Diamond make a newsworthy scandal yet?" She called out as she started to head over towards the reporter. "My friend just wants to do some temp work as a dock hand" she said with what she hoped looked like a relaxed gesture. "Sounds boring to me. Can you recommend any other sights to see around here?"

Yeah like he's going to believe that..

GM

"My friend just wants to do some temp work as a dock hand. Sounds boring to me. Can you recommend any other sights to see around here?"

"Dock hand?" replied Jackson, momentarily taken aback "Dock's always looking for some big fellow to do some heavy lifting, he should fit right in. Of course, they don't ask much in the way of grey matter..." he continued, tapping his temple.

"So you should really fit right in!" he snorted a half-laugh at Subito.

"As for sight's there is all the star's, baby!" he continued, getting back into familiar territory "All the stars, and lovely lovely gossip!" he groaned in ecstasy "take Steve Diamond, now there is a guy who knows how to feed the papers with scandal!"

"And my beautiful camera!" he added, giving it a fond caress, before whipping it up to take another snap of Kristen.

"And with the disaster from down under here , you never know, I might get lucky with a scoop! wouldn't that be something!"

Subito was used to jibes around the docks, and Jackson's was one he had gotten a lot once people learned of his surprising strength(and general aversion to foresight). Still, nobody likes being insulted and he glared at him from the corners of his eyes as he went to talk to Cruz. "Thanks, I know I wouldn't want to talk to that guy" he replied nearly inaudibly to Kristin as he went.

"Sorry 'bout that" he muttered dourly when he was close enough to Diego "didn't think he'd be here" he flicked his eyes over at Jack Jackson "Anyway, I'll cut to the chase: me and my friend Kris over there can help with the problem of those deaths, but we need to know more about it. I've asked around and by all account you're the best informed about this mess"

He looked at him squarely "Will you tell me what you know?"

"I really hate to break it to you mister Jackson, but I'm not really going to be giving you anything newsworthy!" Kristin said with a shrug as she dug a coin out of her pocket. She held it out and then caused it to float a couple of inches above her palm. "I can still do this, but ever since that first day when I had my little accident I really haven't been able to lift more than like a couple of kilograms. I'm just nowhere close to a walking disaster."

She looked out over the water and sighed. "I've already done my visits with the science people who want to investigate whatever genetics caused it in the first place, now I'm just here to finish school so I can go back home. I can't wait to go home. I miss my family so much.."

I really don't have to make that bit up..

GM

"I've already done my visits with the science people who want to investigate whatever genetics caused it in the first place, now I'm just here to finish school so I can go back home.

"I dunno about that..." said Jack Jackson, rubbing his chin and giving Kristen a knowing eye. "I'm a snoop. And When you are a snoop, you get to be real good at spotting snooping. And my sixth sense tells me you are snooping, young lady. "

He still whipped out his camera to click away at Kristen's little stunt.

"I know you cape types, always snoopin'!" he added with a smile. Jack was not precisely malign, more persistent and irritating.

Meanwhile

A few yards away, Diego looked suspiciously at Jack. He made sure his back was turned and the photographer wasn't going to take any pictures of him. He addressed Subito out of the corner of his eye and the corner of his mouth.

"What is the rat doing here? I don't want no pictures, I ain't going to the press..." he mumbled quietly, slightly tilting his head to indicate he thought Mr. Jackson was the rat in question.

Following Cruz's motion, Subito shook his head once, switching to Spanish <"He isn't with us, I'm sure he's just looking for something to do with whoever owns this yacht"> he looked in a direction that was occupied by the forest of masts that comprised much of the dock's skyline, continuing <"We're not leaking this to the press, we aren't plants by the police, we're doing this of our own volition"> shifting his stance a little to more evenly spread his weight between his feet and legs <"We can stop to this without a risk to future immigrants, and we're good enough in a scrap that you won't have to worry 'bout us getting hurt">

He glanced with a sudden, spine-tingling jolt of anger at Jack Jackson.

Kristin had to suppress the urge to accidentally shoot her coin through the camera lens.

Dammit he's not going to leave me alone unless he thinks something else is more interesting!

"Ok look I was snooping a little bit." she said as she snatched the coin out of the air and stuffed it back in her pocket. "But I'm not going to be the one to do anything about it. I'm not a 'cape'. Never worn one in my life!".

"I'm not even good at snooping," She said with a sigh. "All I've managed to find is vague rumours about drugs and refugees."

"Hey I bet you're awesome at digging up dirt?" She asked as she gave Jackson an conspiratorial look. "I heard that the people bringing that stuff and the people in through here have contacts. High up ones, like a port official or maybe even someone in local government. That would be a massive scandal. I bet if some reporter managed to bust something like that open he'd be in line for.. what's that award called? A Pulitzer?"

GM

<"We're not leaking this to the press, we aren't plants by the police, we're doing this of our own volition. We can stop to this without a risk to future immigrants, and we're good enough in a scrap that you won't have to worry 'bout us getting hurt">

"" He spat at the ground in disgust.

""

He leaned in with a conspiratorial air, to Subito.

"<Steve Diamond don't like questions being asked about his yacht!>"

Meanwhile...

"So you have been snoopin!" yelled Jack Jackson, doing a little trot with his feet and spinning on his heel. "I knew it! Here come's my scoop, baby, come to daddy!" he sang.

"Girl, there is all kinds of dirt floating around here. This is celeb-central of the sea's! And so many celeb's passing backhanders to the port officials to turn a blind eye to their parties and whatnot's... all subtle of course. Saw the harbour master on Steve Diamond's yacht two nights ago, partying hard!"

Kristin did her best not to laugh at the reporter as he danced. She even almost succeeded.

Seriously? That's worse than Dad dancing.

"Random school girl snoops and finds practically nothing isn't all that much of a scoop Mister Jackson!" She chuckled. "Your own stuff sounds like it's way more on the right track. You've got a harbour master who takes kickbacks, illegal people trafficking and drugs. You just know that would be on every paper and news broadcast in the country if you could bust it open!"

"Heck, you heard Royer talking about it before right? You could even scoop him if you dig up the right kind of stuff!"

(GM)

"Heck, who do you think I am?" he replied "the King of Suits' secret identity? Uh huh, girlfriend, Jack Jackson is just Jack Jackson, i'm just trying to make an honest living!" he replied, slightly affronted.

"Well, a living..." he corrected himself.

"I'm no crime fighter, or cape. I just scoop up the mess afterwards and sell it. Give the readers what they like to read! Danger's not on the menu. and snooping around Diamonds Yacht, that's asking for a knuckle sandwich, if you are lucky!"

The stocky youth's eyes lit up, at Diego's information. In a low voice he prodded the man beside him for more <"Diamond's yacht, is that where the..experiments are done? Where he meets with clients for their results?"> he looked over at Kris and Jack Jackson, surprised at how long she had gone talking with the guy. He couldn't make out what they were talking about, but he presumed she was setting up to send him on a wild goose chase of some kind.

Returning to the matter at hand, he continued his questioning <"Questions..I assume where it goes or what he does when it gets there, stuff like that? Have you heard anything specific about what he does?">

(GM)

"I don't know" replied Diego, a fleck of frustration in his voice. "the real stuff, that's not done on any yacht. It's out too sea, some much bigger ship. But then they take you into a yacht, move you inland, at least, they move anyone who survives inland. Perhaps for more tests, I don't know. But most, they are lost at sea, or still out there...."

He gazed at the horizon, where sea met sky.

"but the yacht that transfers from out there to here, well maybe, just maybe, that is Mr. diamond's. Can't say for sure, but you know the rumours of how he has mob contacts. And he is real private about his yacht..."

Kristin put her hands on her hips and gave the reporter a disapproving look.

"I wasn't saying that you should snoop around Diamond's yacht!" she complained. "I was saying you should snoop around the harbourmasters .. wait a minute!"

Disapproval was quickly replaced with shock. "You think that Steve Diamond is involved with the drugs and people smuggling? Wow... if that's true that's completely wild! I don't suppose you have any proof or else you'd have already written the story right?"

(GM)

"I'm not saying nothing to nobody!" retorted Jack Jackson. "Especially since Steve Diamond has an army of lawyers ready to pounce at even the whiff of trouble. As far as the press is concerned, Mr. Diamon is a cleas as a whistle!"

He said the last bit a tad louder than was strictly necessary, and gave a little glance around him to check people had heard.

"I have heard his bouncers are a little free and easy with the pugilistic side of thinks" he added, in a hushed tone.

"especially is anyone goes snooping or asking questions..." he said, even more quietly.

He looked around once more.

"alledgedly." he added for good measure.

Kristin rolled her eyes at Jackson. "Didn't you say like two minutes ago that Diamond was a guy who knows how to feed the papers with scandal or something?" she asked a fair bit louder than would have been strictly necessary as she flicked a meaningful look at the yacht and its security staff.

"I'm sure that's what you said!" She continued in more measured tones. "And you're clearly here snapping pictures of his boat. I guess that's because you were sure absolutely nothing interesting was going to happen apart from the D-list girls? Come on, the press writes bad stuff about him all the time. I guess you just don't have it in you to dig up the right stuff. Shame."

"I'm going to go find my friend and make sure he hasn't signed up to haul cargo for four bucks an hour. Maybe you should pack that camera away and go find somewhere safer to snap pictures of celebrities doing nothing at all."

Kristin turned on her heel and started walking back towards Subito and Cruz. If you're not going to turn up anything useful just go away! she thought as hard as she could at Jackson as she walked.

Subito nodded silently, glancing the way he and Kristin had come from Diamond's yacht. He knew that it would be easy for him to sneak along underneath the boat to wherever it went, but Glow would be harder to hide. With a quick, blunt <"Thanks Diego, Kris and me'll put a stop to this business. If you find something else out, wait around here to tell me 'bout it">

Louder he said in English "Sorry you don't have anything at the moment, see you around Mr. Cruz" with that he set off rapidly towards Kristin, long habit keeping him from hising the thoughtful frown that had gathered on his face as he learned of the depths to which this horrible business might have sunk to.

GM

Jack Jackson was momentarily distracted. Steve DIamond's ship was casting off, and he was giving a jaunty wave to the crowds, and a kiss to the floozy on each arm. Like a machine, Jackson's camera started clicking.

"Ladies and Gent's!" shouted out DIamond as a ship hand started unwinding the rope to the dock "Gotta fly! the ocean is calling and I don't want to be late for my appointment!" he gave a very smug smile and ducked down to the cabin.

"Diablo!" came a spontaneous and too-loud curse from Diego Cruz, which caused Jackson to prick up his ears and scrutinise the man.

Cruz ran after Subito.

"My friend, I cannot wait any longer. He is mocking me! talking about his appointment! it is with more than the ocean! If you want to help, help now! I am getting on board, finding out where he is going!"

Kristin frowned as she stopped walking and watched Diamond wave and head below decks, then swung back as she heard Cruz yell. "Aww man.." she groaned as she saw the Mexican running flat out towards the departing yacht.

That's definitely not a good thing.. she thought, as she took one more glance at the yacht, then made a decision on instinct alone. As Cruz tried to swerve around her she stepped directly into his path, trying her best to make it look like an accident as the man bowled into her. Knocked over backwards she landed hard as she tried to drag him down in a tangle of arms and legs.

Cruz was strongly built, a whole lot bigger and charging fast. He plowed straight through her attempted tackle, leaving her sprawled on the ground.

"Aww man..."

"Diego, wai-!" Subito stopped his yelling as realization struck him: make too much of a ruckus and it would make eyebrows raise all about. Best to make things look other than they were. Tossing his backpack onto the dock he dug his heel into the wooden planks before bolting off after the retreating Mexican, the dock shaking under his thunderous footfalls. Overtaking him, he shouted out "I'll get it for you Mr. Cruz, won't take a moment!" as he spoke he gripped the flag he always carried stitched between the layers of his shirts, calling out in his heart to the Blue Dame

-Oh Dame! I need your power to help a friend, and many others besides

The answer came with its grim finality It is granted

The flash of his erupting power masked by the dark water of the harbor, he flew gracefully under the yacht used by Diamond for whatever nefarious purposes had given rise to all those rumors about Danielle Sellidra and the "smuggling hair". Putting his shoulder to the keel, he pushed against it, forcing the boat to a dead stop while the flagpole he bore searched diligently through the water for some random artefact that might justify his throwing himself into the water. Finding a random wristwatch(which by some miracle still functioned perfectly) on the harbor bed, he pocketed it and waited for the engine to shut off, which came quite soon after the apparent collision.

Leaving the boat behind, he flew through the murky depths, evading the dock pillars, moored yachts and other small craft, and slid out of the water onto an arm of the dock dozens of yards from where he had jumped in. Dispelling the gift of power, he jogged back to Diego and Kristin, tossing the watch to the other man. "Got it, sorry for the wait" he said brightly, jerking his head at the boat and waggling his eyebrows at Kristin.

GM

There was a polite round of applause when Subito resurfaced, alongside the ever-clicking camera of Jack Jackson.

"Lunatic boy jumps in water to get stranger's watch!" he mumbled to himself, perfectly audible to Subito's amazing hearing. "You never know, might get it into the crazy pages..."

Diego Cruz took the watch rather flabbergasted. "What was that, man? you off your head? I thought you might actually, you know, want to help me fight these devils!" he spluttered, just managing to keep his voice down a bit.

The ship hands on Diamond's yacht were looking at the outboard engines and shaking there heads.

"What happened there, everything seems to be ok, but we weren't moving?" they were asking themselves, quite confused. They fired up the engines again, and indeed they worked perfectly.

"We got to stop them..." whispered Cruz between gritted teeth "or follow them...find out once and for all what's happening..."

Kristin sat up with a groan and watched in mild amusement as Subito went leaping into the water. With a shake of her head she picked herself up off the dock and brushed dirt off her clothes as best she could. "Watch where you're going next time!" She yelled at Diego, then limped off towards one of the warehouses.

Once she had a building between her and the annoying reporter Jackson she leaned against a wall and watched Subito emerge from the murky waters with what looked like a watch. She shook her head once more as she watched the yacht for a few moments then muttered "We totally need to get Diego to let us look after it. But we're so far out of our depth.."

GM

To the sound of Jackson's ever-clicking camera, Steve Diamonds Yacht, the Freeway, started up its engines and then pulled away from the dock. DIamond himself was below deck, and only the two deck hands remained up top, busying themselves.

"Enough!" spluttered Cruz, ignoring both Subito and Kristen for one moment, ignoring everything else, he seemed fixed on finally resolving the matter.

With a quick glance at Kristen and Subito, he gave them a fierce glare "If you want to be a hero, then be one..." she said, giving them an eye each. With that, he started a run, and at full sprint leapt straight of the docks, launching himself with a mighty jump, hands reaching out for the anchor on the side of the Freeway, as it drifted away...

Slapping his forehead in exasperation, Subito leaped to the edge of the dock and bellowed at the retreating yacht "Hola, hey! There's an almighty bunch of garbage wound around your propeller! Saw it when I was diving, let me and my friend clear it off so you don't get in trouble in deep water!" with that he signaled to Kristin to get ready to board the vessel, and dove back into the water, transforming again to gather a suitably large pile of garbage to lend credence to the deception.

Surfacing next to the boat before Diego(cancelling the assumed power as he did, he whispered in Spanish <"Sorry, making the best of a bad job">,

GM

Hola, hey! There's an almighty bunch of garbage wound around your propeller! Saw it when I was diving, let me and my friend clear it off so you don't get in trouble in deep water!"

The two ship hands looked at each other in surprise. Then shrugged.

"Hey crazy kid, you seem to like taking a dip today!" laughed on of them "but if there is something stuck down there, rather you than me!" he continued, cutting the outboard motor off. The Freeway was only a few yards from the dock, drifting very slightly but in no danger of collision.

"Let me know when it's gone, so I dont shred you with the motor when I fire it up!" he said, taking a seat and lighting a cigarette casually. The other deck hand went to the front of the yacht, checking on some of the rigging.

"Sorry, making the best of a bad job">,

"" replied Cruz, looking at Subito whilst he clung to the side of the ship ""