It was Ellie's turn to be momentarily but thoroughly distracted by her partner's hands, making an exaggeratedly vexed sound in the back of her throat as she followed Mara into the kitchen with a grin. "Mmmh... So I should have ordered take out before using the time lightning, is what you're saying," she chuckled, rooting around the cupboards for the necessary pot and strainer. It felt surprisingly good to do something so mundane with her girlfriend there with her, like a portent of many similar evening stretching forward into a welcome future. The corner of her mouth turning upward, she teased, "Or were you alluding to some imminent need for stockpiled carbohydrates? Scandal!"

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Enjoy cooking. Sometimes, anyway," Mara defended, digging some noodles out of one of her cupboards. "....don't spread it around. Have a reputation to keep. Don't want people thinking I've gone all...." She paused, gesturing vaguely with the soon-to-be-delicious foodstuffs. "....'domestic'."

"And wouldn't allude anything of the sort," she defended, though the corners of her mouth weren't exactly serious either as she brought out some sauce, too - not home-made, but certainly faster, and if she still had some of those spices left.... "But. You know. If we did stockpile carbohydrates, would probably have to find a way to work them off. Can't afford to gain much weight - wouldn't fit in my own armor."

"You and June Cleaver, peas in a pod," Ellie snorted, leaning over Mara's shoulder in a manner that was not at all conducive to food preparation. Pitching her voice a little lower, she added, "Luckily, I rather like playing house with you." Taking a impish, skipping step back toward the sink, she smirked shamelessly as she filled the pot with water. As she shut the tap off she paused in realization. "Oh, nertz. I guess the plumbing's going to be kinda weird until the relative speed inside and outside evens out again. Do you think there's enough in your water heater for a shower?" she asked, biting the corner of her mouth as she wished she'd planned ahead a little more. "Some of us weren't in climate controlled armor during all the jumping and running and fighting."

"Mmh. Not that climate controlled," Mara admitted. "Some, I mean, but still stuck in a metal shell and a bodysuit. Kind of evens out - could probably use a shower too."

The young woman furrowed her brow a little, setting down the jar of sauce and doing some math. glad I upgraded the water heater a little - volume versus use versus.... "Should be enough hot water and pressure for a shower. Maybe just the one, though." She grinned a bit, though her voice was full of mock regret for the 'inconvenience' as she added, "Guess we'll just have to make do and share."

Colour rising in her cheeks, Ellie had to plant her tongue firmly in the side of her mouth to keep her expression schooled. "Well, you're the creative problem solver, cariño," she agreed, nodding with all the solemness she could manage. "Seems like it might undercut the 'cleaner' goal, but I defer to your learned judgement." Though thoroughly failing to hide her enthusiasm for more than a few moments, she nevertheless returned her attention to the pot and stove. "But! Like you said, food first, before we get, ahem, distracted." She paused with the uncooked pasta in her hand, silent for a beat before admitting, "I've only got a vague idea what I'm doing here." Though well experienced with any number of microwaveable dishes and familiar with the general concept of putting noodles into boiling water, she wasn't sure if she was missing some of the steps or not.

Mara made an amused snorting sound, bumping her hip against Ellie's and pulling a wooden spoon out of a drawer. "Making me tempted to skip dinner, is what," she answered with mock admonishment. "Thought you people were always trying to get me to eat more. Spaghetti - easy, fast. Boiling water, salt, olive oil. Simmer. Break it in half so it fits in the pot - really should make a bigger one. I'll heat sauce, you make sure spaghetti gets done and doesn't stick to pot. Think I have bread around here somewhere. Then we enjoy deliciousness."

"I'm distracting you?" Ellie scoffed, planting one hand on the hip Mara had bumped and jutting out her lower lip in a feigned pout that looked more than a little comical on her habitually sardonic features. With a theatrical sigh, she followed the inventor's instructions, looking over occasionally for confirmation that she was doing it correctly. It wasn't so much that she expected some sort of culinary catastrophe as she didn't want to waste any of the food or inadvertently delay their meal or other plans for the evening. Fortunately, stirring noodles about a pot with a wooden spoon turned out to be well within her capabilities. Something about the simple, rhythmic work was surprisingly soothing, in fact.

Mara managed to get the sauce heated and the bread warmed with a minimum of mutual distraction, as difficult as such a thing was to not do; not no distractions, mind, but she made at least a moderate effort to keep impulses under control for the sake of a good meal (and fewer burns).

Before too long they each had a modest plate of food, and Mara 'mmh'ed as they made their way to a miraculously clutter-free dining table. "Not as much variety in drinks, I think. Water, milk, some wine. Should probably keep juice around, but always goes bad before I finish it."

"Well I can't imagine drinking age applies in a bubble of subjectively different time flow, yeah?" Ellie chuckled, setting down her plate on the table and sliding out her chair. With sudden inspiration, she stepped over to the wall to dim the lights in the kitchen a bit then lifted one hand to summon a glowing ball of soft blue light over the table, creaking a bit of makeshift ambiance. It wasn't exactly a candelabra, but it had some charm. With a small smile that couldn't quite decide if it was embarrassed or pleased, she took her seat.

Mara snorted, albeit in good humor, as she pulled a bottle out of one of her cupboards. "Drinking age. We're responsible. Plus, not technically illegal to drink!" She took on the best professor tone she could manage as she poured them each a small glass and taking a seat. "Illegal in this state to purchase. Can drink on private property, which this is. So there."

The young woman hesitated before brushing some hair back behind her ear and tentatively raising her glass. "It's...thank you," she said, rather seriously. "Even with villains, best birthday ever. To us?"

Ellie rested her cheek in one hand, propping her elbow on the table as she accepted the glass with a knowing smile. While it might not have been uncommon for young people their age to procure alcohol one way or another, Mara brought a surprising amount of dignity and determination to the practice. She was also fond of clarifying that particular bit of legality, something which Ellie was always willing to indulge.

She straightened, her smile turning absolutely beaming as her girlfriend confirmed that the day had ultimately been a success. "The first of many. To us." Raising her own glass, she tapped its edge gently against its twin.