Ellie Espadas rarely had difficulty finding things to occupy her days. Even with her natural aptitude and the considerable knowledge she'd already accrued, her pre-med course load at Freedom City University was proving more difficult than she'd honestly expected, merging into a blur of lectures, exams and papers. Thankfully her prodigious capability for memory retention saved her from spending too much time studying and reviewing, freeing her nights for racing about the rooftops of the West End as Jill O'Cure, the metamagi medic and one of the more consistent members of the ever-shifting roster of the Interceptors. Even on top of all that, she managed to squeeze in time volunteering at local hospitals and clinics, learning from experienced physicians while surreptitiously using her superhuman abilities to make a difference where she could.

With all of those juggled responsibilities, it had taken considerable effort and cunning to clear her schedule for an entire day. She'd gotten a head start on essays, called in favours and swapped shifts. Not many events would have been worth the effort. Today, however, was. Today was Mara Hallomen's birthday and, arriving at the engineer's apartment in Parkside, Ellie was determined to dedicate the entire day to celebrating it properly.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somewhere, Mara had a stack of finalized designs to review, a basement lab to finish constructing, a power suit to refine, fully five major projects to finish up, two more to actually start, and a warehouse security system to upgrade.

But not today.

Mara still didn't really get the whole 'birthday' thing - the day just didn't seem that important - but she did get 'time alone with Ellie'. A day just for the two of them, no distractions, no responsibilities? would put up with a dozen cakes - a thousand songs - ...well - maybe a hundred songs - kind of an obnoxious song - but for Ellie? - thousand songs

"Ellie!" Mara had made some...improvements...to the local security system and had been ready to open the door almost before her girlfriend had gotten to it. "Ah. Hello. Ready? Hope it wasn't trouble getting time off. Even on a Saturday. Know you keep busy."

Mara's enthusiastic greeting elicited a beaming smile devoid of distancing sarcasm from the the coltish brunette as she stepped inside and closed the door behind herself before giving the unusually chipper inventor a peck on the cheek. "Pfft, 'trouble'. Just a question of priorities, Marbar," Ellie assured her primly, though her cheeks were a rosy sienna from the appreciation as much as the cold outside. "Happy birthday." A rich crimson scarf filled the space between her tapered chin and the wide collar of her black peacoat and she shifted the strap of the light tan messenger bag clung across one shoulder in response to the question. "Good to go whenever you are."

"Spain! Yes. Finished setting that up last night."

Mara backed away so that Ellie could properly enter the apartment and see the large, platform-like contraption taking up most of the living room floor. It was apparently built with function in mind more than polish, as it would not have passed OHSA standards on even the best of days - wiring was exposed here, some glass tubing there, and long, heavy-duty cables snaked out from it like it was trying to put out roots. The biggest of the cables went to the smallest of the pieces, oddly - a little semi-spherical device made of so many layers of thin, rotating bands that whatever the bands contained couldn't be seen.

"Didn't...really bother with shielding, or plating, or...neatness," Mara explained, sounding a little embarrassed now that she seeing it through somebody else's eyes. "....don't touch exposed parts. But safe, otherwise. And fast."

After very nearly a year of witnessing Mara's casual discarding of the commonly held rules of physics, Ellie was able to take them largely in stride but she wasn't entirely able to shake the feeling that her girlfriend's fantastic devices deserved some fanfare. "Luckily I'm not grading on presentation," she drawled, giving the engineer a light cuff in the shoulder coupled with an appreciative grin. "Should I bother asking how it works or just be properly impressed on general principle?"

Mara tilted her head, eyeing her creation and trying to figure out how she'd explain anything at all. "It...mmh. Does...things?"

She frowned, and shook her head. "Physics. Sort of. Hard to explain without getting boring. Sort of scaled-up version of what my armor has; creates an anchor elsewhere in space and uses it to fold...." She trailed off, realizing she was headed into 'boring', and took a moment to rephrase. "....tells...tells local space that we're actually in Spain, and local space believes it?" she tried, shrugging. "Requires a lot of power. That's the self-conta-...the little sphere...thing...it's hooked up to. Wouldn't ever get more than a few trips out of it, but fine for a vacation."

Ellie listened to the halting explanation with a warm look of endeared amusement. "Have I told you how brilliant you are yet today?" she asked in a sing-song, teasing voice, reaching over to tap one finger on the tip of Mara's nose while the inventor was distracted by her considerations of the physics-defying device. Coming from anyone else, the ramshackle appearance of the teleporter combined with the vague explanation would have drawn out her natural skepticism but she trusted anything her girlfriend had built implicitly. Well. Anything she's built during a week she's remembered to sleep, anyway. Stepping closer to the platform, she did a quick visual sweep to make sure there wasn't anything obvious that needed to been avoided, she sighed. "Mmh, 'vacation'. This was such a good idea."

"Mmh. No. Was worried I'd stopped impressing you," Mara teased, though she sounded pleased by the compliment; she'd blushed and ducked her head a little at the nose-tap, despite herself. "Vacation, yes - time we left. Machine only changes space, not time. Could change time, I guess? Probably a bad idea."

She grabbed her beaten-up messenger bag off a nearby chair and slung it over her shoulder, joining Ellie on the platform. "Maybe want to close your eyes? Not sure. Told this is disorienting." Lights danced behind her eyes and the layers of gears and cables in the exposed pieces began to move....

....and then space turned inside out. The effect was kind of like living on a piece of paper that had just been crumpled up - the eyes were sure that the world was folding in on itself, but the rational mind was certain that just wasn't possible, and very certain that it wasn't meant to see things move the way they were moving, much less feel unsettlingly like it was in two places at once.

Still, the effect was brief. It was maybe a few seconds of broken physics and then they were in a small, empty room full of smells and sounds that hadn't existed before. "Spain," Mara announced, almost cheerfully. "Think I like flying better for travel, but certainly faster with the platform."

Dutifully placing a hand over her eyes as the device activated, Ellie still lurched slightly as her ears pop disconcertingly, leaning slightly against Mara for support. All the spatial warping and physics twisting never seemed to trouble the technopath overly much, perhaps because she had a full understanding of the mechanics of what was happening, the pre-med student supposed. "Faster is right," she managed in a half-laugh as she stepped out into the room, giving herself a moment to get her bearings. "This is pretty wild. I'm almost kinda nervous to look outside."

That trepidation proved to be far outweighed by her excitement as she stepped out into the sunlight, shielding her eyes with one hand. The pathway outside their arrival point dropped off suddenly just a few meters out, falling away into a rugged cliffside. Multi-storey buildings wrapped with balconies formed a wall about the edge of the city, looking out from the mountainside while street heading upward led to ever taller tiers of building behind them. "Wow..."

"Very...scenic," Mara agreed, rather brightly, adjusting her messenger bag and squinting a little in the sudden light. too many hours in dark labs "Not sure who would build like this, but glad they did. Think it's...testament to human stubbornness? Something I can appreciate."

She was squinting less, anyway, as her eyes adjusted to sunlight and pale buildings. "Have the day to explore! Any ideas? Probably too early to eat. Could just wander."

"Well, it's up to you, birthday girl," Ellie responded in the slightly teasing tone that accompanied very nearly all of her affectionate statements. "We could head further into the city to start," she suggested, tearing her eyes away from the breathtaking vista before them to look more closely at the paths available to them in the opposite direction. "Can check out the buildings, see what's there in the way of shops and restaurants and such." Cuenca had a well established tourism industry, as she understood it, so there were bound to be options.

Mara nodded, sparing the view a final glance before adjusting her bag for the umpteenth time and tilting her head at the assorted ways they could take toward the city. Not that she could perfectly match where they were to the maps she'd studied while figuring out where to go, but she was pretty sure it was...that way? and if it isn't - can find our way - pretty sure getting lost is part of the vacation experience? - not sure I'd know - will make my own vacation experience then

"Shopping," she confirmed as they set down a path, and then pulled a face. "Probably people. Tourists. But interested to see what they have here. Souvenirs, maybe. Clothes? ....never cared about what I wore until I met you, you know. Think you're corruptive."

"Well, if I'm doing it right I'd certainly hope so," Ellie shot back, affecting a throaty purr as she linked her arm around her girlfriend's so that their bent elbows entwined. It wasn't just the enjoyable moment that brought a persistent, lopsided smile to the sienna-toned girl's lips. They'd certainly made sure to find time for moments together in the past few months, but always with the ever-present stress of a million other obligations and tasks hanging over their heads. With the whole day set aside just for this, for them, it was like a weight had been lifted, allowing her to appreciate everything without reservation.

Shifting her weight to her toes as they climbed the steep pathway, the young woman took in a row of tightly packed buildings to one side, brightly painted in reds and yellows with overlapping tile rooftops. It was an entirely different style than the architecture of Freedom City, adhering to an older sensibility. Eventually their wandering through narrow spaces brought them to a more open area, a pavilion encircled by terraced store fronts with fountains and landscaping in the center. It was unapologetically aimed at tourists, but charmingly so, and undeniably gorgeous.

Mara had come up with teleporters, powered armor, multiple flavors of physics-warping devices and at least one new branch of math over the course of her lifetime, and she was still compelled to think that this was one of her better ideas. She was (for her, anyway) rather shockingly...happy as they walked and chatted and looked, set apart from other tourists largely only by being fluent in the local tongue.

"Should probably consider getting my ears pierced," she commented, inspecting an array of earrings that were (slightly) less tourist-bait-y than most. "Seems like a bother, most of the time. But imagine I'll get dragged to...nicer social functions. Sometimes. Socially appropriate to accessorize? Bet I could hide something useful in a pair of earrings."

Ellie made a surprised gesture just short of a double-take at that. As a rule, the medic was not particularly patient with the foibles generally subscribed to their age group, but she'd also gained enough self-awareness over the past year to admit to maintaining a certain personal style. While at one point that had meant dressing contrary to the norm for reasons as ultimately shallow as those for conforming, her current vogue was one she felt confident in claiming as something her own.

Those weren't ruminations she'd ever really mentioned to Mara. The practical, matter-of-fact way the engineer approached even something as seemingly frivolous as jewelry was part of what was so attractive about her and part of what made her so phenomenal at everything she did. Seeing her relaxed enough to even consider such things in the first place, though, brought a broad grin to Ellie's face. "Ooh, you fashion plate, you!"

"Nooo," Mara protested, though her voice held more reluctant humor than distress or offense. She waved a hand like she was trying to brush the idea away from her head. "No fashion. Or fashion plates. Was just wondering if it would be practical to do, in case I...went crazy, I guess. Or saw earrings I somehow really liked, if unlikely. Or went somewhere I'd feel...underdressed without them?"

She shook her head, pointing an accusing finger at Ellie. "But no makeup!" she insisted, as sternly as she could manage without cracking a grin. "Have corrupted me this far, with your...sense of style, and having someone around with opinions I care about. But no makeup. Will not paint my face. Ridiculous. Line drawn there."

"Well, of course not," Ellie replied immediately, her tone abruptly changing to a deep, throaty purr, the effect of which was somewhat spoiled by the continuing grin pulling at either side of her mouth. Even so, the unexpected shift in demeanor as she leaned slightly forward toward the slightly shorter girl retained some impact. "You're already perfect without any make-up, muñequita."

Before Mara had any chance to respond, however, one of the brightly painted store fronts across the pavilion from them suddenly burst into a cloud of rubble and dust with a thunderous noise as a sword-wielding figure crashed through from the opposite side of the ring of buildings. Clad in a bright red tunic over chainmail and leather armor, the man was built like a professional linebacker who wasn't concerned about anyone suspecting him of steroid use, his expression wide-eyed and practically frothing at the mouth with madness. The impressive longsword in his clenched fist featured an ornate pommel and crossguard that matched the style of the cross embroidered into his cloak. The blade also appeared to be giving off an unmistakable ruby glow that was mirrored in the knight's eyes. <"Back heathens!"> he shouted in Castilian, whirling about to face tourists and locals alike. <"Back! The Cathedral of Our Lady of Grace shall not come to harm so long as the Sword of Saint James stands strong!"> With a snarl he advanced towards a shocked trio of gaudily clad sightseers, drawing a fearful cry.

Her pose frozen, Ellie's expression had fallen to one of flat resignation. "...seriously?" she asked reproachfully to no one in particular.

Whatever bashful comment Mara was gearing up for died on her lips as the...paladin?...came through the storefront, and for a couple moments she just kind of looked at him, flatly, like he'd appeared just to bother her and her girlfriend.

"....what." She pinched the bridge of her nose, closing her eyes and muttering some terribly un-lady-like things under her breath. "....okay. ...mmmrgh. Could probably get us to a rooftop to change, so that nobody-"

With a snarl he advanced towards a shocked trio of gaudily clad sightseers, drawing a fearful cry.

The young engineer made a frustrated noise somewhere in her nose. "...right. Okay. Not so subtle, then. Can buy you time to change, if you want...don't think anybody's watching us. Can check for camera footage later, I guess...."

Little lights danced behind her eyes and the steel choker at the base of her neck flared; a ripple in space itself washed over Mara's body, leaving her suit in its wake. And the suit..was angry. The lenses and seams lit up with a little more light than normal, plates shifting a little like flexing muscles. "<HEY!>" Dragonfly yelled, the outline of her forcefield twisting into being around her profile. The world around her rippled, pulling here from where she stood to further out into the open space - and away from Ellie a bit. bad idea - have to distract him from civilians - don't know what he can do "<Don't know who you are. Get once chance - put the sword down, go away. Spoiling a very nice vacation.>"

• 2 weeks later...

<"What fresh madness...?!"> the red-clad knight started as Dragonfly made her presence known, his attention easily diverted in his obviously unbalanced state. <"Armor that appears with foul magics!"> Swinging his sword about to point in Mara's direction with so much vigor it almost looked as if were about to throw it at her, his glowing eye flared with energy as bolts of crimson lightning slashed down from the sky all about the inventor, leaving gashes in the stone buildings and street. <"Be you witch or warrior, blasphemer?!">

The instant Mara had begun to call her suit into being from its dimensional storage, Ellie has slipped away into one of Cuenca's many alleyways. She hated to leave her girlfriend to fend for herself against the madman even briefly, but she knew Dragonfly could more than take care of herself in the moments it would take her to change into her work clothes the old fashioned way. Drawing a dark red jacket and bandana mask from her bag, the young woman donned the costume with practiced speed.

The blinding flash of the rose-hued attack had only just faded when Jill O'Cure appeared on the scene, perched on the edge of the roof of one of the pavilion's shorter buildings. <"Obviously she's the knight in shining armor, Crazy McFruitloops,"> she called down in answer to their opponent's shouted question. <"Whereas I'm the roguish comic relief and romantic interest. I'll just pencil you in as 'easily pummeled villain' then, yeah?">

Dragonfly was awfully glad her full helmet hid her face, because she hadn't been expecting quite that dramatic a lightshow from somebody with a sword. Still, her defenses held up surprisingly well: the force field that was normally only visible as a twisted outline around her body lit up as it soaked the energy of the attack, little crimson crackles scattering across its surface as it faded back down.

lightning? - lightning - assumed he was purely physical - bad assumption - reassess - crazed - detatched - magic-based? - annoying - hard to predict "<Never want to do it the easy way,>" the heroine dryly complained to Jill (and sparing a moment to let her heart do that little dance it did when she saw her girlfriend being particularly....Jill-ish). "<Oh well. Hard way. My turn.>"

Dragonfly lifted one of her gauntleted hands, plates flexing a bit as space around her arm wrapped in on itself and launched, twisting, right at her enemy.

Dragonfly's attack struck true, but the sword wielding maniac barely seemed to notice. There was little doubt now that he was empowered in some unnatural way, though whether it was the blade lending him strength or the other way around was hard to say. The two young women didn't have much time to consider the questions as the knight sprinted forward with an inarticulate bellow before leaping into the air over Mara's head and slashing wildly at the less armored of the two. Luckily Jill O'Cure was hardly a stranger to sword combat and nimbly tumbled out of harms way even as the weapon tore a shattering gash in the tiles of the rooftop.

"Hupp!" Jill uttered as she rolled out of the way, coming back up to her feet on the rooftop in one smooth motion. <"Easy there, Sparky, you wouldn't hit a lady, would you?"> The look of wide-eyed emotional hurt almost immediately gave way to a mocking smirk as she spun back toward the Sword of Santiago with a combination spinning kick and open handed blow aimed at his unarmoured face. <"You could try, I just mean your aim is embarrassing. L~oos~er!"> Her free hand formed an L from an extended thumb and forefinger on her forehead while the fingers of the other trailed sickly green light across her opponent's face. Again his resilience was made clear as he fought off the biological attack with a mere grunt.

that's not good - not sure I've seen anyone just shrug off - does it have a name? - hand of doom? - doom hand - would normally fly - probably better to distract him "<Surprisingly durable. Will give you that. Not convinced you're very smart, though.>"

Dragonfly had wasted no time in building a nice big distortion as soon as she saw the sword-wielding maniac rush Jill's way, and she was happy - more than happy, considering his target - to send it clawing through the air after him, right toward his back. "<Shouldn't turn away from threats. Fighting 101.>"

The frothing knight made the error of pausing to shout something else nonsensical in Jill's face as he shrugged off the effects of her attack, only to be interrupted as he opened his mouth and inhaled by the rending of physical law that Dragonfly had pitched squarely between his shoulders. This, finally, brought forth the desired reaction as the swordsman bent from the force of the spatial distortion's impact, the limits of his powerful resilience momentarily exceeded. Distracted, he stumbled on the tiles of the rooftop, sending one then another sliding away to shatter on the ground below as he recovered his footing.