High Bar Topics(IC)

Ari

Vicky eased her equipment back into place, "One second, I need some water." In a small plume of crimson and snowy smoke replaced her. Across the gym she grabbed a couple bottles of water from the student fridge and ported back, handing Subito the bottle she'd grabbed for him.

"Well, I was thinking Left 4 Dead, Borderlands, or Team Fortress 2 type games. Casual cooperative type stuff. I am open to alternative ideas though. I'm sure a few people would rather just run some Rock Band or Guitar Hero type gatherings."

"Yeah, people are a lot more likely to want to play those" Subito admitted. His tastes for shooter games ran fairly retro, and he was well-aware that what was thrilling fun to him was frustrating beyond belief for others. Taking the bottle gratefully, he took a quick swig and handed it back "Thanks Victoria. Anyway, you're thinking of making this a regular club sort of thing? Maybe we could even bring in something like Wii Sports or other party games. They could be a good way of bringing in people who have only that kind of exposure to the hobby, and help to introduce them to the more complex kinds of games" he shrugged "Or you might be meaning something a lot more casual to start off, in which case I'd say something like JK2 or maybe even one of the Quakes, though I can seem them being too twitchy for most"

He stopped to rest for a bit, observing the bar before him studiously.

• 2 weeks later...

"Good point," she commented before guzzling a large portion of her bottle. Twisting the cap back on she put the bottle on the floor next to the machine she'd started leaning against. "I was thinking a regular club, meeting up a couple times a month for friendly competition over junk food. You're right too, the Wii would be the best system for the casual, party type games. I've also seen some pretty good casual games for the PS3 like Little Big Planet 2."

She gave Subito a chance to chime in while she adjusted the weights on the machine to have a resistance of multiple tons.

"I didn't think of that" Subito admitted "But yeah, stuff like Little Big Planet is perfect for introductions like that" resuming his reps he whistled under his breath when he caught a glimpse at how much weight Victoria was lifting, asking a question he had wondered about pretty much from the start of the discussion "Will we need a teacher's sponsorship to have it recognized as an actual club thing, and not just a scheduled get-together? Because I'm thinking we could incorporate other games like card or board games into it to make it less..nichey? I guess? Then instead of it being the time people go to play video games, it could be more like general recreation, you know?" he waited to see what Victoria would think, mainly because he had no idea if that would be a good idea in the first place, and second because he didn't know what would make a suggested club more acceptable at a place like Claremont.

• 3 weeks later...

"I was thinking keeping it mostly to video games, primarily so we're not stepping on, say, the chess club's toes," she explained before retaking her seat and performing several leg curls. "That and most video games are kinda loud and would make the concentration needed for the more strategic board and card games fairly difficult. Especially if Guitar Hero, DJ Hero, or Rock Band are our starting points. I don't know if you've ever tried to play them muted but when I tried it ended poorly."

"And yeah, we'll probably need a teacher or two to sponsor us. Especially if we want access to one of the class rooms and some of the equipment after school," the teleporter said, the effort of the workout finally starting to show.

"That makes a lottta' sense" the stocky youth agreed "and I have tried that: it was pretty darn dull" slowly returning to his weight, he stared at the wall opposite him, evidently deep in thought, which obviously was an uncommon occurrence for him. He really had no idea how well something like that would go over at Claremont, which a cursory examination of its general ethics appeared to cast a cold eye on stuff like video games; he also honestly doubted many of the teachers would really be that interested in supporting such a club.

On the other hand the vast array of games that directly or indirectly stimulated creative problem-solving could be a helpful fact. On the third hand, there was already a dedicated course series for just such a purpose, not to mention a large part of the school's philosophy.

Recalling that his thoughts rarely led anywhere very good the longer he dwelt on them, Subito decided to drop the pondering and focus on more immediate things. "Hmmm..remind me where we'd set this up again? It would have ta be a place with a load of outlets, and I'll bet you know the school a lot better than I will"

"I was thinking of seeing if the computer lab had any openings in the schedule. Or hooking some systems into the projectors the teachers have for the smartboards. But, worst case, the request is quashed and we're stuck setting up online parties from our dorms," Vicky answered, continuing her exercise and leading it into a warm-down.

Taking a minute to let her muscles relax she rubbed the start of a cramp when she looked at the clock on the wall, "Crap, it's almost eight thirty. I need to grab a shower and change before class," she sighed. Getting up she moved next to Subito and held out her hand, "Before I head out, you should friend me on Xbox Live or PSN, my tag's 'LadyStarwind' on both."

Glancing at the clock mounted on the wall, Subito started at the passage of time "Yeah, I'd better go too, nice to meet you Victoria" he shook her hand readily "Me and my sister share an XBL tag, it's 'GROPOS', I'll ask her to do that today. See you around!" he called after Wisp, deactivating the super-weight and returning the borrowed power to the Blue Dame before heading out onto the chill campus after a quick shower. He wondered excitedly if he would meet many other students at Claremont, and whether all of them would be so friendly.

He had to admit though, he might want to expand his conversation skills.

Jogging quickly down the path to the Matthias Cooke wing, he began reciting the current constitution of Sweden to himself...