A Chance Meeting (IC)

Darksider42

It was another day in Freedom City as Rift landed on the soft grass of Liberty Park. So far his patrol of the city had been pretty quiet. Not even petty crime was being done at that moment. He sighed as he started re-tuning his guitar once again. A few people had stopped to see the Genius guitarist stand around as if he had nothing better to do (which was pretty much accurate description). He cracked his fingers and gave a few experimental strums of the strings, listening to the exact sounds that came forth from the speaker. He nodded and reached into his coat and produced a pick. More people were starting to surround Rift. He eyed them for a second before cracking a grin just as he struck a power cord.

It was time to practice. May as well do it in front of an audience.

Janis was doing some shopping in Midtown, when the sound of an electric guitar filled her ears. Could that be...? Quite possibly. She was wearing a cute spaghetti strap top, pink, with modestly cut shorts. She had just gotten back from the auto shop, and the parts she ordered for her car had just arrived. Soon, her hot rod would be road-worthy. A big smile appeared on her face when she saw the guitarist, and she walked over to see him. I hope he doesn't still think I'm a creeper! she thought. Holding both of her bags under her arm, she waved at Warren.

Rift didn't seem to notice Janis right away. His attention seemed to be completely focused on his guitar as he played, fingers dancing up and down the neck of his instrument. he still seemed to be as good as he was before if the audiences reaction was any indication as he reached the end and the assembled group surrounding him burst into applause and at least a few requests for another performance. "Maybe another time. Shows over for the moment." He said. A few of them looked disappointed, but at least one or two came up for an Autograph. He kept smiling as he signed a few notebooks or whatever scrap of paper they had on them.

Just as he was about to fly off, he spotted Janis finally. Paused for a moment like his brain was trying to process the fact she was actually here. "Oh man, Janis. Sorry. I got a little caught up there for a second." He said, a hint of nervousness in his Voice as he approached her. And perhaps some embarrassment. "What are you doing here?"

Janis smiled politely. "It's perfectly fine, Warren. I was just buying some auto parts, actually." She opened the bag she was holding so he could see: inside were a variety of parts, including what appeared to be a hubcap. "I know it's a weird hobby, but this hot rod I've been fixing up at home is almost done! I'm gonna paint it yellow and totally drive it around town! I know the whole...teleporting deal makes it kind of unnecessary, but I just love cars. I guess you're just performing here, right?" She didn't notice, but a slight blush appeared on her face, which looked incredibly lovely on her.

"Eh, working on car's isn't what I'd call weird. That's actually pretty damn normal. Working on a large dog sized cyborg bat in a lab with a robo-gorilla butler, now that I can call weird...Or awesome. Not sure."Rift said with a shrug. He looked around for a bit. Few people had shuffled off while others waited nearby, looking at the superhero talk with what seemed like a perfectly normal girl. Though thankfully they were at a distance and could not easily overhear what either was saying.

"Should get my drivers licence one day. But I like traveling by guitar. Not that many people can claim to do that." He said with a smile. He didn't seem to be as sarcastic as he did the first time they met.

Janis was less sarcastic as well, and she gave him a genuine smile. "Yeah dude, that is pretty rockin'. I don't think anyone can say they've travelled by guitar Hey, uh...you busy at all today? If you're interested, maybe I can buy you lunch. I was maybe gonna head over to Champions if you're up for it. I've only just heard about the place...but apparently they have really good hamburgers." In response, Janis' stomach gave a distinctly un-ladylike growl. She excused herself, and giggled a little. "That is, if you don't want to perform a bit more. I'm always up to listen to some good music."

"Eh, I could get something to eat. I can only do so many hours of uneventful patrolling and Fly by performances of the city after all." Some small part of Rift wanted there to be some sort of attack on the city. It had been a while since he gotten any "live" performances like that. "Heard Champions is good. Though with the way they name their stuff you half expect there to be a side order of facepalming with each menu."

Rift look around for a bit before signing. "I'll probably have to meet you there. I attract a lot of attention as is, the outfit just adds to it." He said, gesturing to his coat, mask and gloves.

Janis nodded understandingly. "That's probably a good idea, Rift. I'll see you over there!" She waved to the heroic guitarist and walked off to Champions. What luck! She practically skipped to the restaurant, her bag clangling at her side. He seemed like a really cool guy- although she still wasn't sure what he thought of her. They were so incredibly different, as was shown by their first meeting, but she hoped the two of them could get along okay. Maybe I should...ask him out sometime? Her nose wrinkled up and she shook her head at the thought. No...we're way too different. It would be weird.

Sh e got the two of them a table, and sat down. It was lunchtime, and the restaurant was packed. Janis was lucky enough not to have to wait for a table, and she waited for Rift.

Rift nodded and waved just before Janis walked off. "See ya soon." He said just as he raised his sound barrier and strummed a power cord that sent him shooting across the skyline.

------------

At least a minute after Janis had found a table, Warren walked into Champions wearing a old battered Nile T-shirt and a pair of Jeans. He still wasn't sure what to think about Janis. She seemed nice but it seemed there was little to no overlap in interests. Course, lack of info doesn't help in that area. He though as he looked around and spotted here sitting down.

"Aaaand here I am. Damn, this place is packed." He commented as he slid into the seat opposite of her. "Really glad I came here in casual."

"Gawd, no kidding. I had no idea they have such a killer lunch crowd here. How was the show today? I had no idea you came out and played in the park and stuff like that." Their waitress came by, smiling in that plastic way that only a professional waiter can muster.

"Hey, guys! Welcome to Champions- can I start you guys off with an appetizer or our new drink of the month?"

Janis raised and eyebrow. "We're teenagers, just so you know. My friend just sat down, so we'll need a few." The waitress smiled and walked off. "Friggin' waitresses...they give me the creeps. So what have you been up to, Warren?"

"Eh, so long as no one recognizes me we should be safe from a autograph rush." Warren said with a laugh. "But yeah, I do the occasional live performance if things are quiet. People need a bit of a moral boost after everything that's happened recently." He was really glad the world had not ended. Then again the world seems to be saved every few months even if people did not realize it.

Rift just watched quietly while Janis got the Waitress away from them. "At least she isn't a killer robot. Or a grue. Far as I know anyway." He said with a shrug.

"Been busy as usual. Band is going alright and the Teacher Assistant job is going better than I though. Still looking for a place though."

Janis smiled. "Oh, that's cool! For like, labs and stuff like that? I haven't taken any lab classes, but I hear at the fancy academies like Claremont they have teacher assistants do the separate lab portions of the class. I don't know if I'll ever do that...I was thinking of going into kinesiology. You know, studying to become a personal trainer and all that. My dad doesn't want me to go into mechanics...he doesn't think that's what I should do for a living. I say, why not? I love mechanics...it all just makes sense to me. Sorry, what did you say you were a teacher's assistant for?" She blushed a little. You friggin' ditz! You've gotta stop running your jaw!

"Eh, I mostly help Professor Harcourt with some of the lessons in advanced Sciences and help the students who don't get what is going on by putting it in English. That sort of thing." Warren explained with a slight smirk. He was starting to find Janis a little funny.

"As for Mechanics. If you like doing it, do it. Even if someone says they don't want you to. You think I'd be doing any of this if I didn't like it?" He said as he leaned back into his seat a little. "kinesiology...Can't say I know that one." He paused for a second and then laughed. "Guess I'm not an expert in everything after all."

Janis laughed; a short bark. Hah! Well, no one's an expert in everything, silly. Except for maybe Dr. Archeville...I hear he knows everything. Everything. I couldn't imagine having to keep so much knowledge in my head. My brain would just explode and you'd have to clean up all the greyish goo off the floor, it'd be terrible. But you're right about doing what you want...even if your career of choice isn't a lucrative one. Although I bet you've been able to defy the stereotype that musicians are poor with your music, right? I couldn't go anywhere with mine...I played the tuba for two years in middle school." She smirked at him and leaned back in her chair.

Their persistent waitress came back, that same smile on her face. "Do you guys know what you want?" Janis handed the waitress her menu. "Yeah, I'll have the Freedom League steak, the 20 ounce, with mashed potatoes and green beans."

"That he does. Hell, he knows just as much about musical Instruments as I do. Course I wouldn't be surprised if he knew the more esoteric ones." He said as he read the Menu. "Partly defied it. I have some cash, but most of it goes towards helping my parents out and making sure someone doesn't get the idea of kidnapping them. Though dad can handle himself quite well." He said before the waitress arrived yet again.

"uh, yeah I'll have the Freedom League Steak and the Fleur de Joie garden Salad. Thanks" He said as she took down the orders and walked off. "Anyway, how long have you been into the autoshop-mechanics thing anyway?"

Janis smiled, and tapped her fingers on the table. "Well, you'd be surprised, but actually my mom got me into it. She was always fixing bikes and stuff like that, and she eventually got into auto mechanics, so I guess I picked it up from her. When other kids got Barbie dolls, I got Legos and Erector Sets. It all just fits together for me, you know? All that left side brain stuff...you know what I'm talking about. What about you and music? I'm sure you two have a long relationship that goes way back." She ran her fingers through her hair again. Well, it is good to get to know the guy outside of school. He seems pretty cool. I hope he's liking me okay.

"Funny, my dad got me into music. Not on purpose mind you. Found his collection of CD's said I liked them, come 11'th birthday I got my first guitar and here I am today. Me being good with Electronics and tech was mostly due to dad once again. He's very good at it." Warren said. So far in his mind, Janis wasn't so bad.

Janis nodded. "Yeah, you get a lot of things from your family. Well, my powers weren't one of them, actually." She thought about raising her hands and showing off her powers, but she felt she had done that enough to impress him, if it did at all. "But that's a story for another day." Her face fell a little. Janis really did miss her mother, although she never showed it. Her bubbly personality usually led most people off her case about it. She tapped the table a few times, then looked back up. "So what do you want to do for a living, Rift?"

Warren drummed his fingers on the table as he thought on that answer. "y'know, I'm not to sure. On one hand, I'm doing pretty good with ODK and I could keep doing that until my hearing is completely obliterated. But on another I could easily drop that and go into something involving R and D with one of the other tech corporations. I have the problem of choice and being able to do either if I want to."

"And please, its Warren when I'm not on duty." He finished with a smile before looking around to see if their orders were ready. Hard to hear with the sound of conversation, boiling oil and the sound of Ice forming in the freezer around the back of the kitchen to get a good lock on that.

Janis looked too, for a moment, then her attention snapped back to him. "Sorry, right. Warren. I keep getting in the habit of calling people by their hero names. I guess I get it from training at Claremont on a weekly basis. But that's cool, man." She wished she had his gifts- but she was glad with what she had. "If I wanted to, I bet they could get me a great job working at an electric company...as a power source." She giggled a little and flipped back her hair unconsciously. "I guess I could do mechanics. I always seem to revolve back to that, don't I?"

Their waitress brought their food, hot and steaming, to them. Janis nearly died when she smelled the steak. "Oh my gosh. This looks great. It's great to occasionally have food that isn't bought from the cafeteria at Claremont, eh?" She took the steak knife off her plate and took a bite off of the juicy steak. "Lovely."