The Good, The Bad, and The Eldritch

Lone Star

September 1st. 12:01 AM. Weather, cool and windy.

Blake sat in the Riverside Park, his arms behind his head. His eyes were closed, and the wind gently pushed his hair to one side. Blake swept it with his palm, and as if on cue, the wind pushed it back again. He looked up, and a million stars overhead caught his attention for a moment. It wasn't his first time in Riverside Park past visiting hours- he often came during the night to get his mind off things. However, tonight he was expecting some friends. Blake pulled his cell phone out of his pocket, and sent a text message to Corbin and Nick. "Hey guys, it's Blake. Can you guys meet me in Riverside Park?" After he sent the text, he slipped the cell phone back into his pocket and waited. It had been a few weeks since he had changed back into his cthonian state, and it was about time he started telling his friends.

Corbin raised an eyebrow at the text, but shrugged. He sent a quick reply back.

"Sure. Gonna fly over then change back to civvies."

He'd finished his homework, anyways. With that, Corbin Hughes jogged out of his room in the dorms, and by the time he was outside, it was Cobalt Templar that took to the skies. He was at the Riverside Park in only a couple of minutes. He circled at high altitude before finding a dense enough grove of trees. He dove down as fast as he dared, landing well out of sight. With but a thought, he was clad again in t-shirt and jeans.

It took him a few minutes longer, but he found Blake sitting on a bench. He casually walked over, unable to fully disguise his curiosity.

"What's with the meeting?"

Nick was on the street in the Pale Horse when he got the text. He usually didn't drive through Riverside on his duties - there weren't many graveyards in that part of town, and the crime rate was low so there weren't as many restless shades. Besides, he didn't make it a habit of sticking around where he worked in superhero garb. But when he got the text, he made a U-turn and drove off to the bohemian section of Freedom City.

He parked and, after switching out of his costume, emerged into the cool night air. The summer heat was starting to abate, but there was enough humidity left to remind him of Savannah nights. Soon, the fall air - his favorite air - would come in. He made his way through the park, eventually catching Blake sitting on a park bench.

Eric waved to the young sorcerer. "Hey, Blake," he called. "How goes it?"

He turned to the two, and smiled brightly. Blake stood up, and cleared his throat. "Guess what, guys? CTHULHU F'THAGN!" he shouted, and immediately his body began to transform. Mystic lights blinded the two of them, and the symbol of the Unspeakable One appeared at Blake's feet. His skin turned the color of seaweed, and facial tentacles sprouted from Blake's chin. His clothing changed as well, the fabric of his T-shirt morphing into a grey cloak. Blake, or Kid Cthulhu, spun around, his cloak billowing dramatically. "Ta-daaaaa!"

Corbin took a step back, blinking a couple of times. He looked around, making sure it was just them in sight (since he seemed to be the only one in costume), and suddenly Cobalt Templar was standing there. He frowned as he observed his friend.

"Last time, these powers almost got you killed. Are you okay? I mean, yes, it's good you've got them back, but...Dude, you're powered by things that shatter human sanity. I guess I'm just worried about side effects, you know?"

Eric blinked as the familiar squamous countenance of Kid Cthulhu appeared. He knew that if anyone could control the weird influence of the Unspeakable One's brood, it was Blake - the guy had been doing it for a while before he'd returned to Freedom City. But that still didn't stop the fact that those powers came from a bad place. It wasn't like death, which was neutral and ever-present; the very nature of the Unspeakable One's brood polluted and twisted the world. But if someone had to do it...

"Like Templar said," he said. "You're sure you've got this under control, right?"

Blake pshawed them, his tentacles flapping. Please, guys. If I was worried, why do you think I called you down here? I'm actually having a bit of trouble believing I got my cthonian powers back, myself." His face became more grim. "Yeah, I actually don't know if my powers are under control or not. That's why I wanted you guys' advice on this. I'm kinda freaking out here." He put his hands over the side of his head, and sat back down. "This dude nearly killed me last time I was Kid Cthulhu...what if he comes back and finishes the job? And what do I tell Jessica?!"

CT sighed and shook his head.

"Tell her the truth. All of it. As soon as you can. Nothing good, nothing good at all, will come from you trying to hide this. Word gets around in this town, and Kid Cthulu stands out pretty badly. See if she's free as soon as we're done here."

He crossed his arms over his chest as he spoke, brooking no argument.

"As for advice...Not sure. I guess just be careful. Try not to use them too long. Maybe keep a journal, help you watch for behavioral tics? Is there someone in the mystic community who could "spot" for you? That is, keep an eye on you and make sure your powers aren't creeping in where they shouldn't be. Nick, would that be up your alley, or what? I'm afraid despite my ring's magical origins, I'm not well versed in the mystic arts."

He gives a helpless shrug to both men.

Nick nodded. "He's got a point," he said. "If you're going to deal with the backlash, it's better you have someone there to help you out. If Jessica knows her stuff, then she'll be great backup if something happens. As for the powers, I'd say be careful with them. Don't use them more than necessary, and check to see how easy it gets to call on them over time. Or, if they seem to jump out of control, then you might want to go in for observation. I know Eldrich's willing to help." He shrugged. "Sorry, KC. The domain of the pseudonatural just isn't my thing."

He looked up at them again, and sighed. His hands held his head up, and his tentacles undulated as he took a moment to think. "You're right about Jessica, Corbin. I should probably go tell her after we're done talking here. If anyone needs to know right now, it's her. I guess...I guess I'm just concerned with what this'll do to our relationship. But you know, if it's gotta happen, better I tell her than she see me on the news or something." Kid Cthulhu looked up, and saw the two people he knew he could talk to about anything. His expression became a little more hopeful. "I really appreciate you guys coming down to talk this through with me- I hope it wasn't an inconvenience. I'll take your advice for sure. Whatever reason the Unspeakable One has for giving me my power back, it's probably not a good one."

Cobalt Templar gave a single firm nod at Nick's words.

"That's a good idea. Don't show off with the powers, and keep an eye on what they're doing. It's one thing if you slowly get better at using them. It's another if you're suddenly waving a hand and covering the block in green tentacles.

Far as Jessica goes...Yeah. Get it out of the way now. I think she'll support you, though I don't think she's going to be doing backflips. I'm certainly not, honestly. But it is what it is.

And you're one of my best friends, Blake. Of course I came to talk. I wasn't in the middle of anything really big, so it wasn't any inconvenience."

"Of course I was gonna come," Nick said. "You were one of the first heroes I met when I came back to town for good, Blake. You helped me out with some weird mojo, and it's only fair I help you out with your slightly weirder mojo." He looked Kid Cthulhu right in the eyes. "If something happens... if anything happens... or hell, if you just want to talk about relationship issues, you can give me a call. You're not alone here, Blake. And if you need help, I'm happy to provide it."

"Thanks, guys." He saluted the two of them. "I'll be sure to call you guys if I get any strangeness from my powers. You know, other than the normal amount of strangeness. I imagine we'll have to have another mystic team-up again sometime soon...I miss those. You guys be sure to keep me in touch, okay? I think I'm gonna go see Jessica right now." The Eldritch Boy Wonder took off, his strange leathery wings propelling him into the night sky. As he flew higher and higher, his silhouette made him look like a strange gargoyle flapping his wings in the night sky. It was simultaneously a bizarre and inspirational sight.