Three Of A Kind (IC)

Quinn

April 7th, 2011

Weather: Sunny, breezy.

Claremont Academy, Bayview.

Morgan pulled at the lapels of his pea coat again, walking back and forth in front of his car with some trepidation. The guy looked agitated. And nervous. Slightly amused. Slightly terrified. And those were doing a rotation on his face that was making his head spin. He sighed and rubbed the back of his head, checking his outfit again. Regular pair of blue jeans, his good pea coat, sneakers, he'd combed his hair, shaved, the coat was in the back of the car...and yeah, he was nearly having a heart attack.

For not the first time that day he questioned why things always became a tad more complicated than initially envisioned. First he'd asked out Vicky, the girl was...well, she was an extremely interesting young lady, and she did seem somewhat interested in him, so he thought a day at the mall would be just what the doctor ordered. And since his dad had finally managed to get his car sent up here, so much the better. But then Vicky had said she wanted to bring the new girl along, Janis. And now Morgan was having a near heart-attack. Joy.

He patted the car. A gift from a dwarf up in Illinois who owed him a favor, it was a near-perfect replica of a 1974 Dodge Monaco sedan. It had (according to the dwarf) cop shocks, cop suspension, cop tires. It had a full tank of gas. It had the dwarf, dressed in a plain black suit with a pair of sunglasses (the guy was a movie buff, and as much as Crowe tried, he couldn't talk him out of wearing it) in the driver's seat, who looked at Crow askance. Not for the last time Morgan cursed inwardly at the driver's license laws in this particular state; back home he could've driven his own car. Here he had to call in a favor just to be able to use the damn car. Looking upwards at the sky, he sighed. Today was going to be just great.

Wisp finished applying the last of her makeup before walking out to the car and one of her dates for the evening. As she neared the door she pulled her black leather coat over her tight gray sweater. Her jeans hugged her hips, flattering her curves as she walked while her white ponytail swung slightly. Eying the car as she approached she let out an appreciative whistle.

"I didn't think a date warranted a car used in a mission from God," she said, leaning against the car next to Crow, their shoulders touching while they waited for Janis to come down.

While Vicky was putting on her makeup, Janis was checking and rechecking her outfit. Would he like it? Would Vicky like it? Is it sexy enough? Although Janis had been on dates before, she had never gone out with other superhumans. She was understandably nervous. The outfit she was wearing was flirty, but still practical. She wore a dark blue coat lined with artificial fur, tight blue jeans, and comfortable winter boots. She tossed her hair, and combed it for the millionth time. Janis took a deep sigh, and walked out of her dorm, locking it behind her. Her first week living with Vicky had been great- she had found a friend which she had things in common with, and classes were going well. As she waited for the elevator to reach the bottom floor, she checked her makeup once again.

Janis walked outside, to see Vicky and Morgan waiting for her. "I'm sorry you two had to wait for me! I just wanted to be sure I looked okay." She walked up to his car, and squeezed herself between the two of them, putting an arm around their waists. "Hi!"

Morgan's face seemed to have an arrested expression as Wisp walked up, and it took a surreptitious elbow from the driver to jolt him back. Vickie's reference was not lost on him as well, and the uneasy smile that replaced his previous expression became more genuine, as well as a tad mischevious.

"Eh, someone owed me a favor, and they're a bit of a movie buff. And girls like you two deserve to travel in style."

He shuffled his feet after the improvised compliment, feeling a mite disconcerted. For a guy who'd seen a lot of ethereal beauties amongst the fae, dating either them or regular girls always seemed to bring out the most awkward parts of his personality. But then, these two were anything but normal. And his mind was going into overdrive because of it. Janine's arrival shortly thereafter only exacerbated the matter, especially when she sidled in between the two of them. Máthair na trócaire, do these two buy their jeans at the same store? Keep your cool, Morgan old boy...

Trying to regain his composure, he quickly adopted an easy smile, his exterior surprisingly cool and collected despite the inner turmoil.

"Hey, glad you could make it. I...uh...got us a ride."

Vicky eyed the car at Morgan's comment of riding in style. "Indeed, the car looks good. More importantly though, you look good. Love the pea coat," She added, running a hand on the forearm to feel the material.

She resisted making any more Blues Brothers jokes while waiting for Janice. She didn't have to wait long.

Watching her dormmate come out of the building, her breath caught. I knew she was pretty but damn. "Oh no, waiting wasn't a problem. And you don't look okay, you look fantastic," she grinned. When Jan's arm slid around her waist and Vickie's instinctively locked onto the other girl's.

Turning to Morgan she nodded, "Okay Handsome, what's on the agenda for tonight?"

Janis sighed happily and gave her roommate a quick peck on the cheek. "I was wondering about that myself." she said, turning to Morgan. "And don't you look cute, Morgan. I love the coat. Looks good on you." Janis smiled at Morgan. He was a nice guy, despite his being so damn nervous all the time. This was a relatively unknown emotion to Janis- she rarely worried about anything, and she was happy as a lark!

Morgan disentangled himself somewhat reluctantly from the two girls, the easy smile on his face becoming more and more genuine as the seconds rolled by. Stepping back, he opened the back door of the car and stood aside, making a motion for the two to enter. When he replied, he actually let a little of the old brogue slip into his voice, albeit briefly.

"Why thank ye, thank ye very much. Weel nao, what kind o' man would I be if I didn't have a plan for two luv'ly ladies, aye? Heh, I was thinking we could tool around Freedom for a bit, maybe hit the Bayview Mall and check out what's left of the property damage from that Next-Gen versus Doc Otaku fight a few years back. I hear they've even turned the giant robot he used into some kinda attraction, too."

Vicky ducked into the back of the car, sliding as far over as she could. Turning to their driver for the night she smiled, looking over his shoulder at the instrument panel, "I'm sorry, I can't hold it back any more. 'It's one-hundred and six miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

"Sounds fine to me, Morgan. I brought along a little cash in case we wanted to grab some burgers on the way or something." Janis fell into the car as well, scooting up next to her roommate.

She smiled, and pulled out her phone. Janis texted Vicky "we're gonna screw with this dude so bad".

Vicky pulled out her phone and glancing at the message nodded and gave Janis a wicked smile. Leaning over and whispering in her ear, "Now, now, play nice with the poor guy." To counteract her own whispering she gave Janis and thus earning her the hypocrite of the night award, she gave the other girl a quick kiss.

Speaking up so Morgan could hear, "I've yet to get over to the mall so this should be a night just full of firsts," after a pause she added, "Wow, that sounded a lot less dirty in my head."

The back seat was surprisingly roomy, actually just a tiny bit at odds with the size of the car on the outside; but only barely perceptible. Upon Vickie's quoting of the movie, the short and stocky individual turned in his seat, tipping a very familiar black hat to the young lady. A pair of sunglasses sat on a rather round nose, and his grin had a couple of golden glints in spots. As Morgan sat in the seat, the dwarf spoke in a rather gruff, but friendly voice. Surprisingly, his accent didn't seem to be the classic Scots-style they'd have heard from innumerable dwarves in cartoons and movies, but a smooth, Victorian-esque English tone, well-cultivated.

"I like this one, Crow. She knows good movies." Crow rolled his eyes, but grinned and nodded back. "Ladies, allow me to introduce Logan Angusson, our driver this evening." The dwarf tipped his hat again, this time to both of the girls. "A pleasure. Word of warning, don't be fooled by this young man's innocent demeanor. He's a rakehell, our Morgan Crowe is."

Morgan facepalmed, but the following chuckle put the lie to his irriation. Angus gave both of the girls a wink, then reached for the ignition key, and stopped.

"Oh, how could I forget?" He coughed, a-hemed, and then spoke in a voice that was almost a perfect match for John Belushi.

"Hit it."

A quick turn of the key, a rev of the engine, and the car rolled away from the Academy. Morgan's chuckle disappeared into a choke that was shortly replaced by a brief coughing fit as he saw Vickie lay a quick one on Janis, along with the follow-up line. With a bit of a self-depreciating smile, he settled back into his seat. This was going to be one interesting evening.

Janis got herself a little more comfortable as the dwarf drove them towards the mall. "Cool driver, Morgan." She stretched out, her long legs crossing over each other. "What have you been working on lately? I think last time you told me you worked with runic magic." She was looking forward to seeing the two. Her first week in Claremont had been a hectic one- powers training and classes certainly kept her busy. She smiled at the rune-maker, and patted his knee.

"To be honest with you, I'm experiencing a lot of firsts at Claremont. My first metahuman friends, my first night out on the town...yeah. I like it here already." Despite her flirtatious attitude, she had not ventured very far on her few dates with high school friends.

Victoria had to all but bite her tongue to hold back from humming Sweet Home Chicago as they took off. "A pleasure Logan."

Turning her attention back to her dates for the evening, "I'm curious to see what you've got cookin' too Morgan. I do hope it doesn't involve landing in trees," she said with a playful smirk, "I've done that enough times while first practicing with my powers, only replace trees with fire escapes and landing with crashing into."

"I think most of us have gone through a lot of firsts here. Before coming here I hadn't met many other metahumans, my parents not withstanding. Sure Chicago has a few metas but short of a bank robbery I wasn't going to get to talk to any of them, let alone get any advice. And if I can get some more juice out of my powers, I'll have to take you guys on a night out back home. You haven't lived until you've had a pizza from Gino's East."

Crowe nodded, motioning out the window to the city going by. Logan kept his eyes on the road, and his mouth quiet, though perked up ears would catch a low-decibel hum corresponding to the tune of "Everybody Needs Somebody".

"Lot of firsts on my end, too, especially around this city. Heh, you know how long it takes to hop up the tallest building in the city when you can only go about the length of a football field on a jump? You got it made, Vicky."

The rune-caster leaned back in his seat, looking with an amiable expression at the girl directly beside him.

"So, Janis, how are you liking Claremont so far? Exciting enough for you?"

Janis smiled warmly at Morgan. He was a nice guy, especially to take the two of them out. She sighed, and laid her head back. "Yeah, I really do like it here so far. I finally have a sports team to get out some of this manic energy I've been storing up inside of me. And plus, I've got this totally awesome roommate who shows me around the campus." she said, nudging Vicky. "Yeah, I do like Claremont. One thing I haven't done yet is actually fight crime with anyone, though. I'm hoping we can all go out for a patrol, at some point."

She shrugged. "It might even be fun. I haven't really fought any real supervillains yet."

Vicky nodded, "I've been looking for somebody to go patrolling with if you guys would like to go out again in costume another night. And on a side note Jan, I've read some of the 'horror stories' some of the of dates gone wrong. I'm actually expecting some party crashers in the mall tonight. Hoping for the best, planning for the worst and all that."

"Of course, given how tonight's starting, which would be wonderfully, we'll have some space pirate or alien princess crash into the mall and fall instantly in love with one or more of us...," she added with a laugh.

Crowe nodded his head with Vicky's statement, a somewhat crooked smile creasing his features as he chuckled.

"Alien princesses can get in line, I've got two earthly princesses right here beside me, thank you very much. Eh, either way, odds are we'll probably be jumped by some kind of villain there. The Bayview Mall's new, but it's got a rep as a place where rookie heroes often earn their bones, 'specially after last year's tussle between the Next-Gen and Doc Otaku. Heh, they handed him his rear."

The teen leaned back in the seat, stroking his chin ponderingly.

"Though, come to think of it...first time I fought a 'villain'...hmm...I think I was around sixteen. Didn't have my magic coat yet, and a bad guy thought he'd get an edge over my dad by taking me hostage. He wasn't the brightest bulb in the box. The bad guy, I mean. Not my dad. Ehe..."

Morgan facepalmed, then shrugged, in a 'whaddya gonna do' sort of manner.

Vicky's face blushed furiously at her date's compliment, not too long ago she'd have never believed she'd have a date with one person who looked as good as Morgan, let alone two who were as fine as him and Janis.

"I'm gonna keep hoping for a nice quiet date tonight. Bluesmobile with Time Lord tech in the back seat aside, normailty would be...," the fact she's on her first polyamorus date suddenly dawned on her, "Nevermind."

• 3 weeks later...

Crowe nodded his head with Vicky's statement, a somewhat crooked smile creasing his features as he chuckled.

"Alien princesses can get in line, I've got two earthly princesses right here beside me, thank you very much. Eh, either way, odds are we'll probably be jumped by some kind of villain there. The Bayview Mall's new, but it's got a rep as a place where rookie heroes often earn their bones, 'specially after last year's tussle between the Next-Gen and Doc Otaku. Heh, they handed him his rear."

The teen leaned back in the seat, stroking his chin ponderingly.

"Though, come to think of it...first time I fought a 'villain'...hmm...I think I was around sixteen. Didn't have my magic coat yet, and a bad guy thought he'd get an edge over my dad by taking me hostage. He wasn't the brightest bulb in the box. The bad guy, I mean. Not my dad. Ehe..."

Morgan facepalmed, then shrugged, in a 'whaddya gonna do' sort of manner.

Janis crossed her arms and smirked at him. "Hilarious. You're quite the charmer, Morgan." she said, half-jokingly. "It would be very cool to meet a real super-villain, though. I mean, the one I really want to fight against is the White Knight. I can't stand ignorant people, and beating him up would get out some of my anger." She cracked her knuckles. "Although anyone would do. I guess I'm just really itchin' for a fight, is what I'm saying." A sigh escaped her mouth as she settled back in the comfortable seat. She was happy she had good friends like them.

Crowe nodded, the car rolling up to the Bayview Mall. The dwarf tipped his hat as Morgan pushed the door open and clambered out, extending an arm in a somewhat weak attempt at chivalry for the two ladies inside.

"Well, if we get lucky, maybe that idiot'll decide now's a good day to institute Evil Plan Number A, and we can teach him the error of his ways? Through percussive therapy?"

He flashed a somewhat wolvish smile, chuckling. Logan facepalmed.

Vicky slipped out of the car on her side and gave a smile and nodded her head towards Janis. "I don't know, I'm betting you guys have that whole electro-shock therapy thing down. Which would of course leave me to administer the actual concussive therapy," she said after getting out her side of the car. "My grandfather fought in the Great Patriotic War so I'm especially annoyed by asshats like him. Or, since we've got a recurring theme going on, I need to paraphrase Jake Blues here, 'I hate New Jersey Nazis'."

Morgan laughed, ticking off a few names on his fingers as he smiled at Wisp.

"You, me, Jake Blues, and Cannonade, Vick. I swear, that guy can pummel with the best of 'em."

He looked in at Janis, keeping the warm smile on his face, and winked.

"And don't worry, if it gets boring at the mall, we can always try an impromptu patrol. Evil beware, bored superpowered teens are on the hunt!"

She smiled, and pushed him playfully. "Sure, a patrol would be pretty fun. Too bad I'll get the most bad guys." Janis looked at the two of them, and grinned like a lunatic. "I guess you two will have to deal with that, 'cuz I'm built for giving and taking damage. But you know, in order for there to be a first place, there has to be a second." She put her arms around her friends and laughed. "No, to be serious though, a patrol would be a lot of fun sometime. Are we almost at the mall?"

"I've worked with Cannonade actually. During that fustercluck in the subway. Guy took some snake-guy's teeth easily," Vicky agreed, moving around the car to join her dates for the evening.

"I can't take a hit well but I get right back up again, the perks of a healing factor," Vicky said, keeping her voice low so only Morgan and Janis could hear her. "And, in the immortal words of Keanu Reeves, 'I know kung-fu'. ...Well, that's a lie but I've got the basics of Systema and Krav Maga down."

"Well, if tonight actually goes smoothly, how 'bout a patrol tomorrow night?"

Morgan cracked his knuckles, grinning, and gave a thumbs-up to Vicky, winking at Janis as well.

"Well, how can I say no to an invitation like that? I'll skip the usual double-entendre on that one, though."

"First time he's ever done that! Take a bow, ladies." "Logan!"

The dwarf in the driver's seat laughed wickedly as the teen facepalmed. Reaching over and giving his driver a light fwap upside the head, Morgan then motioned past the car at the large shopping mall directly across the street.

"Anyway, we're here."