Unstuck In Time! (IC)

Quinn

Gabriel actually smirked. Oh, sure, none of the troll-things were down yet, but perhaps they didn't realize just who they were dealing with.

"Foul beasts! Feel now the full measure of righteous anger! Feel now the power that protects the innocent from your clutches!"

Again, a barrage of sound lashed down at the beasts, seeking to weaken their skin, their muscle, their entire bodies such that they would be even more vulnerable to Tarquin's blade...and Gabriel's cries.

"Strike yet again, brave warrior!"

Closing his eyes for a brief moment, the air seemed to shift around Gabriel as he concentrated, took a deep breath...

And let out a huge, wordless cry just as his eyes shot open. To Tarquin's ears, it was an unusually deep-pitched yell from the man. But he would likely be able to see the sound rippling the air and crashing against the beasts like water on rocks.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gabriel

The warrior readied his sword as the sonic barrage slammed into the beastmen. Four of them clutched at their ears, falling to the ground, while the one who had spoken earlier tried desperately to remain standing, staring up at the hero. His voice could barely be heard over the barrage of noise, but it reached Gabriel's ears all the same.

"You...your power is...what are you?!"

Within seconds of the last word leaving the creature's throat, it was smashed to the ground by another wave of the barrage, it and the rest of it's brethren crushed to an oozing green jelly on the grass. The warrior stared at the remains, then put up his blade in salute to the flying hero, sheathing it on his back a moment after. He spoke up to Gabriel, looking somewhat dour.

"Those monsters deserve far worse for what they've done to my people...my thanks for your aid, sirrah, had you not arrived...well, my wife would have been in a rather foul mood had I not returned."

A crooked smile, and he squinted as he stared across the field at the toppled siege beast.

"By the Three, milady's troops have done good work this day...come, if you mean to help my people, we must rally what is left of our soldiers here!"

Arcturus

With what was left of the monsters as splattered smears on the grass, the two soldiers beside Arcturus whooped and cheered, the third man walking up to give the hirsuite hero a strong slap on the back.

"Hell's teeth, man! I've never seen such a display!" "Hah! We call ourselves Wolves, Lorr, but 'e, 'e's a ruddy bear!"

More laughter, and the three raised their weapons in salute to Arcturus. The bellow of the siege beast a moment later only increased their amusement, and they watched it collapse upon the field.

"Now there's a sight y'don't see every day, aye?" "Indeed, Gunnar, inde-INCOMING!"

Gunnar and Jakob brought up their axe and halberd as a gigantic war beast barreled through a pack of beastmen near them, tusks and horns lowered and aiming straight towards the ursine Arcturus!

Gabriel

The warrior readied his sword as the sonic barrage slammed into the beastmen. Four of them clutched at their ears, falling to the ground, while the one who had spoken earlier tried desperately to remain standing, staring up at the hero. His voice could barely be heard over the barrage of noise, but it reached Gabriel's ears all the same.

"You...your power is...what are you?!"

Within seconds of the last word leaving the creature's throat, it was smashed to the ground by another wave of the barrage, it and the rest of it's brethren crushed to an oozing green jelly on the grass. The warrior stared at the remains, then put up his blade in salute to the flying hero, sheathing it on his back a moment after. He spoke up to Gabriel, looking somewhat dour.

"Those monsters deserve far worse for what they've done to my people...my thanks for your aid, sirrah, had you not arrived...well, my wife would have been in a rather foul mood had I not returned."

A crooked smile, and he squinted as he stared across the field at the toppled siege beast.

"By the Three, milady's troops have done good work this day...come, if you mean to help my people, we must rally what is left of our soldiers here!"

The man in white's voice is like a whisper after the terrible cry he had let loose a moment ago.

"I am a shepherd for the innocent and helpless."

Slowly he floated down to the ground, where he gently landed and took a moment to catch his breath. However, even then he did not appear truly tired, merely winded for a moment. With a shake of his head, he stood up a bit straighter.

He walked over to the warrior, a smile on his face.

"Call me Gabriel, brave warrior. I commend your courage, standing against those beasts. As for helping you, it was the right thing to do. In the end, what choice did I have? I'm glad we've spared you a lecture from your wife. What is your name, sir?"

At the man's mention of returning to the field of battle, Gabriel frowned slightly and tried to take stock of the situation.

"Do you have any suggestions on where we should strike next?"

"Wolves, huh? Actually..." Arcturus seemed genuinely thoughtful as he paused, seemingly oblivious to the carnage he'd caused. He wondered if he could actually pull off a canine form... It was an interesting idea. Theoretically, the Beast Rune would allow him to assume a form similar to a wolf, though he'd never tried that particular application of his magic. He'd seen it in his dreams though--one of the many totems that the Beast Rune had assumed over the centuries. From what he understood, there was something specific each totem required in order for him to fully understand and control its power within the Rune; that was, mostly, what drove most of its hosts insane. The Bear had accepted him almost instantly, greatly improving Marcus's chances, though it still often had a mind and personality of its own.

"...? Incoming?"

When the beast came charging at him, Arcturus's first instinct wasn't to move--rather, he held his ground, arms spread outward with something of a maniacal grin on his toothy maw. "You want a piece of Arc, ugly?! Let's dance!" Paws spread wide, he crouched and motion forward with both, grinning madly all the while. He braced himself and tried to grab the charging beast by the horns. It was something Marcus had seen on television once or twice, so it was bound to work... or at least, he thought so.

If nothing else, Arc just didn't want to be gored; that would be painful, not to mention incredibly unheroic. He growled ferally and his eyes flared red as he leaned into the charging beast, both paws gripping its horns as it drove him backward. His feet dug trenches into the ground as he braced himself... and then, the stopped. A broad grin crossed his maw as he suddenly pivoted, wrenching the beast to one side like a practiced ranch hand. He managed to haul the beast off its feet and onto its side, sending up a thick cloud of dust from the impact of its body hitting the ground.

"Yee-haw!"

Inwardly, Marcus wasn't quite so brazen; he'd only just managed to keep those horns from driving into his chest. He wasn't entirely certain that he'd be able to pull that off again. There was a sickening feeling at the Bear's nature tugged at his psyche, wanting him to maul the thing until it stopped moving. He huffed and tried to keep the beast pinned down with its horned head in the dirt.

Arcturus

To the Wolves' credit, they stood with slack jaws only for a few seconds, then let loose with their own earsplitting howls and leapt upon the war beast, their weapons finding easy purchase in the beaten creature. The war beast bellowed, shaking with furious might as it sought to throw off the ursine hero and his comrades, but it's fanged maw could not reach, despite it's best efforts.

"Haro! The Wolves!" "Up the Bear!"

Another howl echoed across the battlefield as the four-on-one wrestling match continued...

Push

The monsters were ferocious, no doubt, but for all of their sound and fury, a hammerblow or a blast would crush them to the grass as easily as another thug. Push was, for once, actually enjoying himself; instead of faking his usual snarky remarks or fighting some monster while simultaneously keeping it from playing merry hell with his psyche, here was an opportunity for him to really cut loose. Granted, the eruption of the siege beast had knocked him for a loop, considering he was right nearby, but a quick kick-in of the kinetic jets stabilized him in midair before he could make a rather unceremonious landing. The subsequent collapse of the beast as he was preparing an aerial strike surprised him as well, but he didn't question the vagaries of fate.

Taking a moment to survey the battlefield from above, he heard a sound that drew his gaze to a figure in the distance that seemed somewhat familiar. A man in white, with a voice that resonated deep in one's bones...

Meanwhile...

With the collapse of the siege beast, the beastmen's lines seemed to be in flux; at some points they fought harder than ever, at others they seemed to begin faltering and falling back. The human warriors, now not quite as outnumbered by before, and buoyed by rumors of demigods and heroes descended from the heavens to save them, fought with redoubled efforts. The monstrous army seemed to draw in on itself as the forces of good forced them back, as if they were drawing in a deep breath before the final charge...

Zere is a sorcerer controlling part of zis army on ze field of battle somevhere.

[bg=#BF0000]Understood.[/bg]

The Scarab turned to her self-proclaimed protectors and pointed at the beast staggering before them. [bg=#BF0000]"I don't know how long my... 'spell' will keep this creature distracted. Dispatch it, quickly, before it rouses and kills us all."[/bg] She turned away from men and beasts alike, inclining her head slightly as she raised her hands to the sides of her head. Her thumbs rested against her jaw, her fingertips against her temples. [bg=#BF0000]"While you tie up that loose end, I will reconnoiter the battlefield and the surrounding areas. The whip of an unseen master drives these fell creatures to rampage. This field reeks of their foul sorcery. And rare indeed is the foe who can hide from those of us who can see beyond sight."[/bg]

Atlas, Fulcrum, and the soldiers surrounding The Scarab could see a golden nimbus briefly cloak her form as it hovered a few inches into the air. Her ever-shifting mantle surged upward like the wings of a great raptor. Those chosen few watched as a handful of glowing, translucent duplicates emerged from her, each one taking flight in a different direction. First by the handful, then by the dozen, and then hundreds of spectral doppelgangers appeared and took to the sky, raking the field with their gaze. At seemingly random intervals, each ghostly echo of The Scarab split into two, each of whom split again, and so on, like the branches of a tree growing before their very eyes. The images passed through solid objects and seemingly unaware creatures alike as if they weren't there, neither wall nor man nor beast nor the very ground itself blocking their passage or their watchful eyes.

Fulcrum continued her assault undaunted. One huge fist rose to finish one beastman, but the renewed morale of the soldiers proved that unnecessary. Instead her gaze settled upon a reeling monster. A steady blow struck home by the warrior at her side! Fulcrum did not waste the opportunity. Seizing the beast by one leg, the giantess hammered down the remaining brute using its own comrade!

"Now! Just! Stay! Down!" punctuated each driving blow.

Her concentration, however, drifted. The tremors of the falling juggernaut brought a smile to her face. The full glory of The Scarab's power though was the true attraction. For a moment all she stood there in awe. Yes, she'd seen many amazing things herself, but this one truly astonished her!

Scarab & Fulcrum

The soldiers stared with wide eyes as the psychic emanations disappeared into the melee, exchanging glances of wonder and amazement. After a brief time, however, Scarab's mental scrying revealed a disturbing sight; for all of the heroes' efforts, the beastmen committed to the battle still pressed with unholy fury upon the beleagured human warriors, the fight itself hanging precariously in a balance. The creatures could not push past the hundred or so doughty soldiers holding the ground before the wall, but while the humans seemed to be even pushing them back, a great host of monsters numbering in the hundreds still stood in reserve behind the battle line. Surprisingly, they did not seem to be moving towards the battle, but were steadily backing up from the line, leaving a wide open ground between the front of the reserves and where battle had been joined.

However, it did not seem entirely lost, for her psychic gaze did spot the other heroes that she had been unaware of, the others that had been flung into this strange place. Her own location seemed to be at the epicentre of the battle line, where the human warriors and frontal force of beastmen had connected. Another flew above, in a brown coat and red scarf, carrying a hammer larger than he was, and traveling at high speed towards a man wearing all white and radiating Power by the right flank. Another, furrier than the others; an ursine warrior wreaking havoc on the beastmen's left flank. And, of course, Atlas and Fulcrum.

As her senses spread further outwards, the psychic heroine soon found the point of her search, although the sight was somewhat disheartening. Rather than one sorcerer, three men in black robes stood on elaborate platforms, each behind a third of the reserve army (forcing a great distance between each platform). All three stood in front of great glass orbs, staring at them intently while occasionally poking at a point on them. What seemed odd was that, for all the importance of these men that Atlas's encounter had impressed upon them, they did not seem to be overly protected. Each had a pair of regular beastmen standing at the base of the platforms, guarding the steps upwards.

For Fulcrum's part, her efforts were not in vain, as both brutes were rapidly reduced to so much goo as she pummeled them into the grass. With a cheer for her and for themselves, the men charged forward, piling onto the warbeast with hacking blows. A loud bellow erupted from it's throat, before the blows rapidly reduced the heavily weakened beast to mush. As they finished, they then took up defensive positions, the captain himself motioning for two to lift him up on a shield so he could survey the fight. He narrowed his eyes, looking over the battle line and what he could make of the reserves beyond with a curse.

"B'damn these beasts to the blackest pits of the Abyss...milady, our forces won't survive if those creatures charge. Please, tell me you've seen something, anything, that my eyes could not."

Atlas

Piles of beastmen began circling around Atlas, yet, none seemed to attack him. Instead, the lines began to flow around him, some taking the odd swipe with their claws if they got too close, but the monstrous creatures seemed to be backing up. After a few moments, Atlas stood beside the toppled siege beast (which had started rapidly melting as he had seen the beasts do), alone. A single large red figure standing in a wide open ground between the raging battle behind him, and a long line of savage monsters in front of him...

Ze human vill not survive anozer vave of beatmen attacks. I vill stall zeir reinforcements as long as I can. Atlas informed Scarab over their telepathic link. I vill strike at ze sorcerers if I can.

Atlas had no idea what the sorcerers were planning, but he did know that they would have more difficulty doing it if they had less beastmen at their disposal. From what he had seen, the humans could hold their own, just not against such massive numbers. But sending bodies flying may not be enough, Atlas needed the sorcerers to second guess who and what they were up against.

Leaping across the field towards the mass of enemies, Atlas landed with a thud just before their ranks. With a deep breath that filled his barrel chest, Atlas expelled an arctic blast that froze the field of battle and the beastmen that had the bad luck to be in the way. If nothing else, hopefully the ice would make it more difficult for them to implement their plans.

Atlas

The blast of freezing air did everything the towering hero hoped and more, turning the monsters forming the first ranks of the middle reserve into beast-sicles. Within a blink, nearly fifty beastmen, warlike and fierce, were nothing more than a charming ice garden. Unfortunately, Atlas's satisfaction was brief, as the remaining fifty leapt forward as one, bulling through their frozen comrades as they charged en-masse towards him. On the flipside, it looked as if neither the left or right flanks had recieved whatever order the centre had, and they remained in place, waiting...

Gabriel & Push

The older swordsman stood atop a shield, held aloft by two of his still-standing men. He held a hand to his brow, squinting as he stared across the field.

"Hmm...don't know what kind of magic the Tower's unleashed, but thank the gods they have."

He turned to look at Gabriel, hopping down from the shield. Clenching a fist, the older man thumped it into his armored chest in what could only be a salute.

"You asked my name, my apologies for not answering sooner. I hight Tarquin, Battlemaster and general of this Free City. As for ideas...we've fought and repelled these beastmen thrice before, each time they come in greater numbers. However, for all of their might, they are only constructs of earth and water, summoned by fell sorcery, and commanded by warcasters who hide behind their lines like cowards!"

Tarquin pounded a fist into his other palm, gritting his teeth in fury.

"My group here was to hurl ourselves around the flank, taking one of the sorcerers by surprise and bringing him down. Unfortunately, we were the ones taken by surprise, as you have seen...and if we don't move fast, those reserve groups will slam into our lines like a hammer upon a broken anvil. Aaahh....blast! How in the nine hells are we to strike them now?"

"From above?"

A noise from the sky drew Gabriel and Tarquin's attention, and a familiar figure in a brown coat and red scarf tumbled from above and landed rather unceremoniously, nearly stumbling as his boots hit the ground. For a moment, what remained of the troops whirled with blades drawn, only to stop stock-still and practically blanch as they saw Push's hammer. The kineticist raised an eyebrow at their actions, then shrugged, walking up to Gabriel and the Battlemaster, and leaned on the aforementioned weapon. He was breathing heavily from the fighting, but his eyes were still alight with energy, and he seemed game for more.

"Hey, long time no see."

"Tarquin. Glad to work with you."

He stood there for several moments, clearly thinking hard on the situation.

"I'm no general, not even a soldier proper, but-"

He was cut off as Push arrived on-scene. He saw the hostile reactions by the warriors, and raised his hands in a warding gesture. While it took him a moment to put a costume to a name, he already had a pretty good idea of who it was. After a moment, he recalled hearing about a hero named "Push" who wielded a hammer and lots of kinetic energy. The same hammer "Mr. Stone" had used against the demon in that sleepy little town. Looked to be the same powers, too. Wasn't hard to put 1 and 1 together to get 2.

"Hey, easy now. This guy's a friend. We've worked together before. He helped fight a bonafide demon once. He'll be a good guy to have at our side.

As for your plan, I like it. I bet we can buzz over there and take them out."

He turns and gives Tarquin an apologetic look.

"Sadly, I can't carry you or any of your men with me; just don't quite have the upper-body strength. Would you be alright with staying here and holding the line? I'm thinking I could move in first, as I'm probably a touch faster than Push here. While I've got their leader on the ropes, Push busts in and either keeps the beastmen off my back, or helps put down the sorcerer faster."

Gabriel & Push

Tarquin's mouth pursed as he saw the hammer, and his voice was less warm as before when he replied. Except where his other soldiers were somewhat fearful as they put up their blades and backed away, he merely seemed annoyed.

"Unsurprising, those of the Ordo Malleus are well known for their skills at destroying eldrich monsters. That you have been released from the Tower surprises me, however. Should you not be there, ensuring the Ordo Magi stays within, or conducting your witch hunts?"

The last two words were spoken with such frigidity that it was amazing the group did not gain goosebumps. Not waiting for an answer from the confused kineticist, he turned to his men and rapped out orders, the few remaining in the group saluting and retrieving fallen equipment before forming ranks. Tarquin then turned to Gabriel, speaking in a considerably less frigid tone this time.

"Master Gabriel, while I am loath to retreat from a duty given unto me, it seems I have no choice. I and my men will return to the battle proper, and I shall do what I can to hold the line whilst you and your...compatriot deal with the sorcerer. The eyes of the Three Sisters be upon you, my friend, and pray that we live to see the victory feast!"

Giving the messenger of God a salute of bone-cracking precision, the Battlemaster raced off towards the main battle, his men in tow. Push stood, looking a mite disgruntled, and turned to Gabriel himself.

"You fell through a time portal and made a new friend, didn't you?"

"Tower?"

The confusion in Gabriel's voice was evident, but there was no time to worry about it, as the men started to move away. He snapped off a somewhat sloppier salute of his own.

"Go with God, Tarquin, and may Saint Michael the Archangel watch over you and yours."

He waited until they were gone to speak again.

"Seems so. Bit of a shame; wouldn't have minded landing in the lap of a pretty girl on one of these "wacky adventures". At any rate..."

He squinted a bit, clearly plotting something out in his head.

"While you're pretty fast, doubt you can keep up with me. So. I'll go in first, distract the big scary mage guy with words. And maybe some sonic energy to the head. Meanwhile, you follow and break up any goons trying to do me in. If we've got breather room, you hit him from one side or the other. Sound good?"

Gabriel & Push

The kineticist nodded, slinging his hammer over his shoulder and changing his disgruntled look for a grin.

"You're the man with the plan, Gabe, I'll follow your lead. And for the record, here, I can drop the alias. The name's Push, nice to meetcha."

He extended his hand, eyes flashing momentarily with crackles of kinetic energy behind his irises. The mutant was eager to dive back into the fray, especially now that they had a target. He'd resigned himself to the fact that answers would only come after the battle was over, and judging by the fact that he'd spotted a few other folks who looked decidedly out of place on the way over, things were clearly going to get real interesting, real fast. Might as well enjoy himself in the process, and he had plenty of new anti-crowd perambulations of his kinetics that he'd been meaning to try...

"Oh, and good news, we're not the only ones from Freedom around here. Spotted the bear kid from Stratford wreaking some real havoc on the uglies over on the left flank, and this one really oversized dude with red skin and muscles out to here flattening the beasts' front line. And I think there were couple of others in the middle of the fray, but I couldn't get a clear look beyond really big capes and a lot of flying beasties."

"Push, Stone, doesn't make a huge difference to me. But I knew that was your alias already."

He gave the other hero a knowing smirk as he shook the offered hand.

"Let's just say I hear things on the hero grapevine. As for having others here...Hm. Well, Arcturus is a good kid, though I kind of wish he hadn't gotten mixed up in this business. The big red guy is probably a hero named Atlas. Solid fellow, from what I've heard. Not sure on who else is out there."

He takes a moment to snug his coat up a bit more, before nodding. He crouches a bit, and glances over to Push.

"See you over there."

And with that, he was suddenly blurring through the air, the sky rippling in his wake as brief peals of thunder sounded behind him. He landed in front of his targeted sorcerer within a couple of seconds, crouching slightly on the ground. He looked up at the twisted being of shadow, determination etched on his face.

"You have one chance to quit the field of battle. Else, you face me. And I have bested demons and sorcerers before."

Gabriel & Push

The robed and hooded man atop the platform merely turned his head from the globe, through which Gabriel could see a view of the battle from the sky. A scrying orb of some kind, unless he missed his guess. The sorcerer sneered, snapping his fingers, and he sat in a chair directly behind the orb, watching as the two beastmen from the base of the stairs hefted their weapons and stalked towards the hero.

"Arrogant, presumptuous fool. I know not how you arrived at this place, perhaps a portal from another of the Free Cities and their amateurish Circles, but it matters not. My power has been granted to me by the Warlord himself, while all you and yours have are mere practicioner's...parlor tricks. Beasts, kill me this fool and mount him on a pike, I wish to have it lead my ranks' charge."

Arcturus

The war beast shuddered and shook, roaring in deafening tones as Arcturus and the Wolves sought to pin it down. Yet it's leathery hide seemed almost impervious to the Gunnar and Jakob's weapons, as they stabbed and hacked again and again to bring it down but good. Lorr swung his mace expertly, keeping what few beastmen that came near away from the fighting trio, but they seemed somewhat reluctant to approach the group that had wreaked such havoc upon them earlier...

Meanwhile...

As Tarquin and the Captain suspected, the beastmen were marshalling for a charge; fortunately, it was not as grim as they initially envisioned. The centre ranks of reserves, completely blown away by Atlas, found themselves committed too early, and against a foe none of their weapons could so much as dent. Atlas's mighty frame stood between them and the main battle, and try as they might they could not pass. The right flank, where Gabriel had engaged the sorcerer, remained unmoving as their commander watched his two bodyguards approach the blessed hero, allowing the beleaguered human troops on that side to rally yet again. Clipped orders from swift messengers relayed the instructions of Battlemaster Tarquin as he began organizing and leading the troops, providing a much-needed boost to morale and efficiency; soon the beastmen committed upon the main line were being pushed back.

Unfortunately, the left flank was rapidly approaching a critical mass. Despite the havoc Arcturus had wreaked upon that side, mangling a good portion of the beastmen and freeing up a great deal of human troops, the left beastman reserves crashed upon them, practically swamping that side of the field in a tide of filthy green. The troops on that side held, but barely, any minute those troops could break, and the flank would simply roll up what was left of the human line; the battle seemed poised upon the edge of a knife...

"Heads up!"

Arcturus was having a considerably difficult time holding the beast down, and there was little he could do just standing there. Suddenly an idea popped into his head; it was unclear whether or not it was the Beast Rune's or Marcus's, but both were in agreement that it wasn't entirely a bad one. The bellowing warning was all he could muster before he sank his heels into the earth and tightened his grip on the beast's horns, pivoting his entire body as he tried to hurl the beast into the oncoming masses.

"B'damn these beasts to the blackest pits of the Abyss...milady, our forces won't survive if those creatures charge. Please, tell me you've seen something, anything, that my eyes could not."

[bg=#BF0000]"Indeed. These creatures are merely sheep, easily dispersed once we dispatch the shepherds."[/bg] The Scarab turned toward the horde's left flank. A nimbus of gentle golden light surrounded her for a moment, and then she faded from view. She floated high into the air, then shot out across the battlefield like a scarlet arrow.

Her mind reached out to touch those of the human officers, anyone whose heraldry or demeanor suggested a position of authority. A translucent image of The Scarab, resplendent in her crimson and gold armor, massive cloak flowing behind her, floating above the ground, briefly faded into view in front of each officer. The images accompanied her voice, that chorus of one-hundred all speaking as one, echoing inside the officer's minds, less "heard" than remembered. [bg=#BF0000]Your forces are outnumbered, and the red giant's devastating assault has split the horde in twain. Soon, they will try to surround you, and if that happens, you will be overwhelmed and slaughtered. As the force with inferior numbers, your survival depends upon your mobility. Your only chance is to rally your men together and begin an organized retreat back toward the city walls right now, before they break into an unorganized rout. My comrades and I will deal with the foul sorcerers driving these creatures. If the horde presses its assault once their masters whips are no longer at their backs, then you must lure them to within range of your artillery. If anyone dares accuse you of cowardice or treason, I will take them to task personally.[/bg]

Then The Scarab turned her psychic attention to her fellow heroes. [bg=#BF0000]This is The Scarab. Three reserve battalions stand ready to overwhelm the city's defenders, each one commanded by a wizard of unknown power.[/bg] In addition to the same style of dialogue as experienced by the soldiers, each native of Earth-Prime also received a quick vision of the battlefield, starting from their present location and racing up the lines of the horde to the sorcerers commanding them, a brief slice of memory from The Scarab's scan of the area. [bg=#BF0000]We break their hold over the army and we win this battle. I'll deal with the one on the left.[/bg]

Her body stretched out parallel to the ground, her arms extended in front of her, fists clenched, The Scarab soared over the heads of the beastmen felled by the great bear and the warbeast he wielded like an improvised club, over the heads of their fellows, directly toward the dais upon which the sorcerer commanded them. True to her word, she touched down immediately behind his chair, still commanding the minds of everyone around her to ignore her presence...

The giantess readied to wade further into the melee when Scarab's message reached her mind. The grim, satisfied look on her face morphed into a full-on grin. Nodding only to herself, she mentally answered back, Affirmative! I'll take the one in the center.

Fulcrum punched the air as the warriors nearest her felled the warbeast. "We'll rout them yet! Stay strong! We're taking the fight to their leaders."

A rush of air signaled Fulcrum's departure. One giant loop over the battlefield helped her spot her target and set up an attack run. She accelerated out of the loop and boomed across the battlefield just over the heads of the warbeasts. One huge fist cocked back in the split second before impact.

BAM!

The tremendous swing split the air like a thunderclap! Would it send the Sorcerer reeling?

Meanwhile...

Messengers went running up and down the lines as the warriors fought, carrying orders from Battlemaster Tarquin. Soon, the warriors began disengaging, fighting a slow retreat back to the walls as smaller contingents fought ferociously to cover the retreat. One rider broke from the main line, a spindly fellow on a great black bear, sprinting at full-bore towards the city walls and waving a black flag overhead. The Scarab's mental vision could see figures by the siege engines on the wall begin to move hurriedly, while the monsters fought more ferociously to seize victory, disregarding the risk they would soon be in...

Arcturus

The warbeast went careening into the front lines of the beastmen charging the group, turning a small part of the front line into a rolling, tumbling mess as beastmen tried to right themselves or avoid the dazed monster. The Wolves stared at the horde approaching them, then grimly gripped their weapons.

"Death or glory." "Hell or plunder." "For the Three Sisters."

And they broke into an all-out charge, howling like their namesakes in a desperate attempt to stem the tide for a few minutes longer as their brethren retreated...

Scarab

One mind replied rather swiftly before turning completely dark to her, although the voice that she "heard" was extremely abrupt, albeit polite.

Thank you for the information. Gabriel and I are dealing with the sorcerer on the right and should be finished shortly. Please stay out of my mind.

As for the sorcerer and his two bodyguards, he seemed completely oblivious to the prescence of the Scarab directly behind him, chuckling darkly as he danced his fingers over the globe. Amazingly, as he touched the glass surface, beastmen below seemed to respond to it, moving to where he touched and filling in gaps where others had been cut down, squads and teams moving into breaches in the human line. As a conductor manipulated an orchestra, so did this sorcerer manipulate the forces under his command. And it looked as if the humans would break very soon...and then he spoke, seemingly to the air.

"Hmm...it seems I am being scryed upon. Or perhaps an illusion? How very odd. Tell me, if the air can hear, why do you magi, why do you of the Wise, permit these lowly fools to separate and lock you within your ivory towers? Most puissant magus such as yourselves, we of the Warlord would welcome you with open arms. Come, this battle is nearly over save for finishing off the remaining rabble, surely you can reveal yourselves in some manner and we may speak as civilized folk?"

Fulcrum

The beastmen guarding the stairs didn't even have time to react as the Centurion's legacy dove downwards, her fist striking his face with a resounding crack. For a moment, the sorcerer reeled, but amazingly he stood fast, clutching at his jaw. Backing up, he pointed an ornate staff at the caped heroine, hissing in a sibilant tone a strange and blasphemous-sounding tongue, tendrils of ethereal energy reaching from it to strike at Fulcrum!

Atlas

The mighty giant stood firm as a tide of beastmen raced towards him, screaming obcenities and waving their claws and weapons high in an attempt to intimidate him as they charged. Their frozen brethren were no obstacle, the creatures simply leaping over or smashing them aside as they crossed the frosted ground to close with their foe. For a moment, he seemed alone, but then a group of warriors gathered around him and stood firm, their leader being a familiar figure. The woman in the short-cut black hair lifted the visor of her helmet, giving Atlas an approving glance, before roaring an order for her men to stand fast. The longer they could hold out, the better chance the soldiers falling back could have without the enemy leaping on their backs.

In a perfect world, the human soldiers wouldn't have to hold out. But as evidenced by all the blood that has been spilled today, it was not yet a perfect world. But Atlas was still dedicated to saving as many of them as he could. But as the beastmen had demonstrated on their last charge, they were not willing to challenge him directly. That meant that he couldn't just rely on making himself the target. He had to take the beastmen out of the equation if he wanted to save the human warrior fighting for their homes. And that was something he had very little trouble arranging. Giving a righteous bellow, Atlas charged across the field of battle, battering the beastmen, sending them flying as his powerful blows created massive shockwaves that rippled through the beastmen ranks.

Atlas

The red behemoth was akin to a hurricane hitting the beastmen ranks, and they shuddered and broke apart under the unyielding shockwaves. The warriors behind him followed up, swinging swords, axes, halberds, maces, whatever weapons they carried at what few creatures remained, and soon that portion of the field contained nothing but Atlas and his allies. In the distance, they could see the sorcerer weaving his magic at Fulcrum as his two creature bodyguards spun and began racing up the tall platform steps towards her, and the female warrior waved her blade towards them in turn.

"Go! Your ally requires aid, we shall strike the beastmen's left flank from the rear!"

Gabriel

The fell sorcerer sneered from his chair as the two beastmen bodyguards approached, weapons held high. He made a mocking gesture with his hand, as if to let a dance begin, and the first of the two bodyguards lashed out towards Gabriel with his claws in a great sweeping arc...