Picnic Blanket Confessions (IC)

She turned pink, what little of her he could see, anyway. "My people are empowered by vril, the cosmic force that underlies all of reality," she said didactically. "If you've been experiencing energy discharges, I may have contaminated your body with it, and that may be...very hazardous for you. Vril can only be channeled by my people and the mightiest of others. If I have introduced vril into the outside world, it will be...well, I will need to find it out now. Now close your eyes, and take my hands."

Corbin breathed an audible (and visible) sigh of relief, his large shoulder sagging as he relaxed. He'd thought she meant "contaminated" in a biological sense.

"Okay. So. We'll check for this vril, and you can help me out if it's there. I trust you completely, Quo-Dis."

He reaches out to take her hands, a thoughtful look on his face, even as he closes his eyes.

"What if it isn't this vril? Maybe it's just, er, me?"

He lapses into silence, realizing his lady love likely needs all her concentration for this.

"If it's not the vril, then I will not need to worry," said Quo-Dis with a little smile. "But we must be serious if we are to be sure. This is a very grave matter." And with that she took his hand and together they were...elsewhere. Or maybe this time it was more like there was someone, or a great many someones, there with them, a presence in and around his mind that Corbin couldn't quite make out. Quo-Dis was talking to them, he was sure, but he couldn't 'hear' the words of that assembly of ancient, mighty intelligences that were scrutinizing him with eyes he couldn't see and senses he didn't share, deep down to his very core. Finally, though, he felt them pull away. Not with approval, perhaps, but not with scorn, either. For her part, Quo-Dis looked profoundly relieved.

"Thank vril it wasn't me," she said, looking very happy. She took Corbin by the face and kissed him. "We are well."

Corbin stayed still and quiet through the whole little ritual, wanting to make sure he didn't disturb his girlfriend's careful search. During the impossibly long moments of scrutiny, he strove to remain calm despite the feeling of being weighed, measured, and judged. It wasn't something he enjoyed, especially so recently after the intimate time he'd had with Quo-Dis.

He smiled as they finished and she pronounced him healthy. He returned the kiss.

"So I'm vril-free? Glad to hear it. I'm sorry you panicked like that, but I'm glad to know there's nothing wrong. And yes, I'd say we are, in fact, well."

A thoughtful look crossed his face.

"Why do I get the feeling there was more going on there than just checking to see if I'd gotten a dose of vril? It was almost like I was being...evaluated."

"We have been intimate both physically and spiritually. You are my mate," she informed him. "This is a very serious matter among my people, particularly since you are not like us." Quo-Dis was usually very blunt, but this was something of a compromise. "But our actions were approved, and so everything we did still happened." She smiled at him and said, "It is a very long time back to your home, Corbin, even with your great speed in the air. Shall I take us back there? It will take only a few moments."

Corbin smiles and gives her a kiss on the cheek.

"I'm glad your people approve of me, then."

He chuckles.

"I'm your "mate", huh? I suppose it works. Does that make you my mate, then?

As for traveling back: Yes, that would probably be best. I don't mind a flight, but it seems like it's a bit far even for me. Besides, even though the cold doesn't bother me, it's so much more comfortable in a warm bed. Wouldn't you agree?"

"Yes, let's go. We've traveled many miles, and touched many minds today. A little rest is in order...or other things, anyway. I have needs that are not the same as your women." She kissed him again, and the pair vanished in a flare of cosmic energy. Just as they went, Corbin noticed a flying animal deep up against the blue sky of Quo-Dis' homeworld. It seemed flying birds were universal across worlds...or were they? Luckily, he had his girl there to make sure he didn't dwell on the biological dilemma too long.