Picnic Blanket Confessions (IC)

Claremont Academy

March 5, 2011

Corbin Alphonse Hughes stood on a slight rise in the ground (he couldn't conscience calling it an actual “hillâ€) near the back of the Claremont property. Mostly hidden from view by trees, it was past even the pool and sports field, though one could still see some of the school buildings. Still and all, it was as close to privacy as he could get without going off school grounds. He wanted this to be a low-key affair, and having to notify people they were headed off-campus flew in the face of that.

So he sat, and he waited for the girl that had come to mean so much to him in so little time.

'Man. Maybe six months since I first asked her out? And yet here I am...speaking of that, where is she?'

He cast his gaze about, trying to see if he could spot Quo-Dis, the object of his fancy and thoughts. The blankets were spread, and the basket was set out. He checked his watch again; it was almost on the dot for when he told her to be here.

“Come on, Corbin. Woman's prerogative to be a bit late. She's still got a couple minutes to be on time; you're just a freak about being early.â€

She came to him from the sky, like any angel should, a faint sheen of sweat on her skin as she came in for a landing before him. She was still in her costume, the one that showed...well, that she was more confident with her body than many of her fellow classmates. "Hello, Corbin Hughes," she said with a smile, crossing to him and pecking his cheek. "Sorry I'm late. Mister Archer decided to run our whole team through drills again after Rex Hound dropped the ball. It was a long afternoon."

"Hm. Didn't bring a towel, but..."

Suddenly, weak blue flame rolls over Quo-Dis. Before she can even start to panic, she'll realize it's not even singing her clothes; instead, it feels like a warm breeze blowing over her body, quickly and gently drying the sweat away. Corbin didn't mind the view of his beautiful girlfriend wrapped in ethereal blue flames, either. He smiled wide once the flame was done, stepping over and taking up her hand, bowing a bit, and kissing it.

"My Lady graces me with her presence. My heart aches that Archer kept you longer than normal. But no matter."

He straightened, gesturing at the blanket.

"Nothing fancy, but this isn't a big formal date or anything. I more wanted to talk."

He went about unpacking his food, his chipper mood clearly showing through. The confusion and distance from the last month or so was gone, replaced by an energy and confidence that hadn't surfaced for a while.

"Do you prefer ham, or turkey?"

Quo-Dis actually laughed at that, taking a seat by the blanket that not incidentally let her be close to Corbin: not just close, but actually touching. She hadn't brought up sex since the first awkward conversation, but she hadn't done anything to conceal that it was still on her mind. "Turkey," she said. "I find the ethical conditions of turkey raising much more palatable than how hogs are farmed. If your society has to be agriculturally based, and I suppose it does, turkey raising is generally much more friendly to the planet. Plus, it's delicious!" She put her arm around him affectionately. "Do you have the drink I asked for?"

Corbin chuckled and handed her the turkey sandwich. He unwrapped the ham one for himself.

"All the hog farms I've seen seemed ethical enough. Dirty, but pigs seem to like that. Plus, I do rather like the taste of bacon."

A bag of ranch Doritoes was to be shared between them, and then Corbin pulled out the drinks. For himself, a couple of bottles of water. For Quo-Dis, a bottle each of orange and grape flavored Mexican soda. The genuine stuff that took some work to find.

"Did you ever really doubt me, beautiful? I don't like to flaunt it, but I am somewhat well off. Wasn't too hard to make some calls. Dare I say I can get more where that came from?"

He put his arm around her as well, giving her a gentle squeeze before turning more of his attention to the sandwich. When he did speak, he made sure his mouth wasn't full.

"How was your day outside of Archer getting his licks in?"

"It was all right. I'm looking forward to spring break. Even if I don't go home like the other kids do, at least it's a change. Things change so slowly back where I'm from, I expect everything to be on the move here." She was grateful for the food, and showed it, but studied Corbin carefully before saying, "Corbin, I appreciate all the work you did to bring all this here. And I'm definitely looking forward to the food. But you never have to worry about trying to impress me with material things." She smiled at him. "You're what I care about, and you're what I'm happy to see."

"I don't think I'm going out of town, actually. Considering what happened last time I went on a long trip, my folks and I all decided I should generally stick to the States for a while."

He gestured with his ring-bearing hand, emphasizing the point. He smirked as a thought crossed his mind.

"Honestly, with my luck, I'd end up going to Britain and come back with Excalibur's scabbard or something."

He shrugged and took a few more thoughtful bites. He raised an eyebrow at her statement about not needing to impress her.

"This isn't really about showing off. I mean, yeah, a bit of it is me wanting to treat you to something special, that I had a hand in. But more of it is that I just like the idea of an outdoors picnic with the girl I care about. I'm with you; all our dates, all the various dinners and movies and shows and walks and talks are all well and good, but you yourself, that's why I'm doing those things. Because it's time with you."

He reached over and ran a finger gently down the side of her face, withdrawing that hand to grab a water bottle and take a swig of it.

He was definitely in a different mood than normal, though now he seemed to be watching her carefully for a reaction.

"Spending time together is good." She batted her eyes at him, a gesture she'd picked up from Zarana. "Between one thing and another, we don't...we don't have as much time to spend together as I'd like. I mean, you'll be graduating next year, and I might be as well if everything goes according to plan. And Corbin," she said frankly,. "odds are pretty good we're not going to see much of each other after that." She reached up and put her hand on his. "So that's why we should make the most of the time we have, don't you think? Like on beautiful days like today, when it's just the two of us."

Corbin chuckled at the eye-batting.

"It does seem like the little things in life keep us from having more time. It just makes the memories all the sweeter."

He squeezed her hand a bit, a gesture of reassurance.

"As for our future...I think that if we set our minds to it, we can see each other. I believe we control our own paths in life. That's why I'm going into archeology and superheroing, not business. Because it's my choice."

He holds a finger to her lips to keep her from talking for just a moment.

"I'm sure you're going to say you have responsibilities to your people. I'm not saying you have to give those up. Or even demanding you stay. I could never do that to you. I..."

His hand drops to his side, and he closes his eyes, taking a deep, fortifying breath. When they open, they seem to almost shine with light.

"But the truth is...part of me can't bear the thought of not seeing you after we graduate. Part of me rails against it. It's still a year away; there are plenty of things that could happen between then and now. All I know is this.

I...I care about you. No, that's not sufficient."

He gently holds her face in his hands.

"Quo-Dis, I do believe I love you."

And then he leans forward to kiss her deeply, passionately, more than he ever had before.

She kissed him back with intensity, pulling him close with her strength greater than human. "I can't say I know what that means," she confessed when she was done, laying her hand over his heart. "But whatever it means, for you, and for me...I feel it too. I love you too, Corbin Hughes." She'd somehow wormed her way into a position on his lap, a position she seemed to enjoy quite a bit. "As for my people, I came here to learn about yours. Tell me things." She kissed him again. "Tell me everything."

She kissed him back with intensity, pulling him close with her strength greater than human. "I can't say I know what that means," she confessed when she was done, laying her hand over his heart. "But whatever it means, for you, and for me...I feel it too. I love you too, Corbin Hughes." She'd somehow wormed her way into a position on his lap, a position she seemed to enjoy quite a bit. "As for my people, I came here to learn about yours. Tell me things." She kissed him again. "Tell me everything."
Corbin's own strength, while fairly high for a human, was currently surpassed by his girlfriend's. Thus, he gave no resistance as she pulled him in. Indeed, he shivered a bit, seeming to enjoy her strength. He kissed back with equal fervor, finally pulling away for a moment.

"If you're not sure what it means, let me show you. I know you can at least glimpse my mind. Look at it now, and see what I mean."

If she looked in his mind, she'd see/feel/hear/experience a whole torrent of images, emotions, thoughts, decisions, and more. All centered on how much Corbin cared for her. How he loved her, and just what that meant for and from him.

"You want to know about humans, hm? My my, that could take a while, my dear. I mean, there's so much to tell! And every year, we make more art, more culture, more history! After all, true education isn't a broad overview of the basics. It's...in-depth study."

He gave her a deep kiss.

"It could take you years to learn enough to give them a really good picture. No decades...no, centuries! I think you should arrange for small visits to report your progress, while I help you...arrange your studies."

"Not like that. Tell me like this." She kissed him again, and again, straddling his lap with an intent look on her face. "But somewhere else," she suggested. "Somewhere more...intimate." She ran her finger down his chest, and seemed to have a pretty good idea where she was going. "Bring the picnic if you want. I'm hungry." She grinned at him. "And then we can talk about all the ways we're going to be seeing each other." She didn't look put off by all his talk so much as interested in doing many other things as well.

"Oh my dear, sweet, beautiful Quo-Dis. I'd accuse you of reading my mind if you hadn't just decided not to."

He smiled, giving her a quick kiss, then attempting to gently extricate himself.

"You see, this little picnic wasn't all I had planned today. I picked today on purpose; my parents are both out of town for a couple of days, the cleaning staff is done for a couple of days, and we're free for the weekend."

He smiled wider.

"So, I can wait if you want to go change, but we're going to hop in my car and drive there. And in a half-hour or so, we'll have that house. All to ourselves. For something like two days. And I made sure the kitchen is fully stocked."

His grin is positively devious.

Quo-Dis and Corbin could both have gotten there much faster in the air, but as they piled into the car a few moments later, Quo-Dis reflected that a quick trip would have been so much less fun! With the picnic basket in the back, she gave Corbin a winning smile. "I'm actually going to change right here, if you don't mind." Fortunately for Corbin's sanity, she was wearing a sports bra under her shirt as she pulled on a big, loose-fitting T-shirt, and she laid her shirt across her long, long, muscular legs as she changed into her Daisy Dukes.

Corbin had tucked the blanket safely in the back with the basket before sliding into the driver's seat of the Mercedes-Benz C-Class he typically drove to school. He was soon on the road. The blue car's seats were a comfortable cloth that breathed magnificently. Right now they were probably breathing better than the young driver, whose gaze was locked on the road in front of him, his eyes all but watering with their effort to stay forward.

"Uh. Um. That's...uh. I guess that's your call. I'll keep the windows up; the glass is tinted enough it won't freak anyone else on the road out."

Thankfully, the road was pretty much empty, the weather was clear, and the sun was bright. Which was good, since Corbin was consistently going about 5 over. It was also a good thing it wasn't that far, comparatively speaking, from Claremont to his house. Or maybe it was. All he knew is that he wasn't there yet...

Thankfully for Corbin's sanity, they arrived at his parent's home within about 20 minutes of driving. He'd managed to relax by about halfway through the drive, and was notably less tense when he pulled into the garage, the door shutting behind him as he walked over to the interior door, punching in the security code, turning on some of the lights, and holding the door for Quo-Dis.

"And here we are. I know you haven't been here before, so we'll get a tour in...sometime."

Quo-Dis waited patiently until Corbin closed the door behind her before she fixed her gaze on his, and for the first time he saw her eyes glowing with the yellow-white energy that was her people's birthright. She had a definite energy about her entire aspect, seeming to glow with veritable inner fires. "Take me to your room, Corbin Hughes," she told him in a voice with a definitive reverb. "Take me there now." She demonstrated the urgency of the situation by floating in the air and reaching down to take his hand.

Corbin didn't notice the glow immediately, as he was setting the picnic basket and blanket on a nearby available counter. He turned to face Quo-Dis as she began to speak, and his mouth fell open in slight shock. He knew, at least in abstract, that she had abilities related to energy, but this was new. His voice whispered out in awe.

"Whoa."

He felt the touch of her hand, and blinked for a moment, focus returning to his eyes. Focus, and something deeper.He grasped her hand a bit tighter, the faintest of blue glows surrounding his body as he floated into the air as well.

"Yes ma'am. It's right this way."

With that, he gently flew down the hall, heading towards his room with purpose, but not inhuman speed. He didn't wish to break any furniture, after all.

It was perhaps 120 seconds later that they were at the door of one of the second-story rooms; Corbin opened it after releasing Quo-Dis's hand, and gestured for her to head inside.

It was a room that was distinctly "Corbin". The walls held a few large photographs of various natural vistas. There was an art desk to one side, and a work desk next to it, complete with cutting-edge computer. AnIndiana Jones post signed by George Lucas and Harrison Ford held a place of honor on one of the walls. It was neat, but not obsessively so. And perhaps inevitably, the bed had dark navy bedding.

Once Quo-Dis was fully inside, Corbin gave one last glance up and down the hall before pulling the door closed. He strode with purpose over to the dresser a couple of feet away from the bed, turning to face his lady love. His expression was oddly serious considering the circumstance.

"What I do now, I do out of my love and trust for you. Know that this symbolizes my belief that this will not be needed in any way."

It was an almost formal declaration that he spoke. Rightfully so, as he pulled off the ring that Quo-Dis had never seen or heard of him removing, and carefully placed it on the dresser. He then turned back to her with a growing smile on his face.

"Now then..."

A while later, Quo-Dis and Corbin lay on his bed, looking up at the ceiling, neither of them having been able to speak for a while. "That was...very remarkable," the Ultiteen finally said, looking quite pleased with herself for all they'd done together. "Remarkable indeed. That was very interesting, Corbin Hughes." She hmmed and turned over to look at Corbin, sheet pulled up to her collarbone. "Did you enjoy it too? I thought you did." she asked, the question looking serious indeed from the look on her face. "Did you?"

Corbin had a huge grin on his face, the sheet about even with his armpits. He extended one arm and pulled Quo-Dis closer, his intention (for the moment) simple physical closeness.

"Darling, I don't think "enjoy" or "remarkable" sufficiently express what that was like. "Incredibly astoundingly awesome" and "wouldn't trade it for the world" come closer, though they feel more awkward. Will you take "wowza"?"

He turned to face her, his grin having gone a bit cheeky. His free hand reached up to stroke her hair a bit.

"Seriously. I have no regrets. That was something I know was worth waiting for. I'm glad we have this."

Perhaps it would be about now that Quo-Dis might notice the faint blue glow in the whites of his eyes. Corbin himself seemed oblivious.

"You have beautiful eyes, Corbin Hughes," she informed him, gazing deep into his with limpid pools of azure delight. She reached over to touch his face, the brush soft and gentle for all the strength she's shown earlier. "I noticed an energy discharge while were in the act of in-er, making love. Has your body begun absorbing the energies of your ring?" She seemed concerned by the thought, and gave him a level look. "Is this something you are aware of?"

"You do too. Along with, well, everything else."

Corbin gave her a slightly goofy grin while laying the compliment upon her. He grew slightly pensive at her question.

"Haven't noticed blue glowing eyes before, but I, err, haven't checked. But...yes."

He sighed and slid up into a slight sitting position on the bed, staring down at his hands as he did so.

"It's been going on for a couple of months now. I, ah, don't know if you noticed, but I'm sturdier than a normal human. Feels like it makes me healthier, too. Who know what else it will eventually do?"

He looked up at her, his face showing, not fear, but curiosity.

"For all I know, I could end up halfway to immortal. I doubt I'll ever get to the point I won't need the ring; it's what taps into the real power. But some of it's bleeding off, changing me, making me...better, I guess. A better warrior, at any rate."

Quo-Dis turned white, putting her hand over her mouth. "Unless...oh, by vril! What if I've..." Her voice trailed off, and quickly she scrambled for her clothes. "Corbin Hughes, you need to dress and accompany me immediately. We have urgent business that must be done. Now!" Within seconds, she was dressed herself, donning not her costume or her regular clothes, but a black jumpsuit like the one Corbin had seen her mother wearing. Where had she kept it? It was hard to say, perhaps folded somewhere in her clothing.

Corbin proved to be an upstanding member of his gender, a paragon of masculinity, when he replied in the only manner he could to Quo-Dis's response.

"Wha-huh?"

He blinked, clearly confused by this reaction, before shaking his head and getting out of bed at a slightly slower pace. He walked over to the dresser, donned his ring, and in less than 30 seconds, was dressed in a nice pair of slacks and a button-up shirt, along with some nice dress shoes. He gave her a wan smile.

"I'm not really sure what's going on, but I'll follow your lead. Is this nice enough?"

He was unsettled more than a bit by the sudden urgency with which his girlfriend moved, but he was determined not to panic.

"We must go!" She took his hand. "I have to make sure I haven't contaminated you." And with that rather ominous note, her whole body flashed white, and she, Corbin, and his room both vanished utterly. And suddenly, they were elsewhere. A sea of naked white lay all around Corbin, snow and ice stretching off to the hills of the horizon, with only a few sad-looking plants poking through the snowcoat. The sky was bluewhite and covered in cloud, no stars were visible. He might have been on Earth; he might have been anywhere. For her part, Quo-Dis sat down, folding her legs neatly beneath her body, and gestured for him to do the same. "We must commune."

Corbin wore his confusion openly now, gazing about, trying to figure out where they were and what was going on. He slowly followed Quo-Dis into a similar position, his gaze questioning.

"Commune? What's that mean? What's with the snow? Why-"

He stopped, as something she said finally processed fully in his brain.

"Wait, contaminated?"

His expression was one of near-panic. He just barely managed to keep from leaping to his feet, and settled instead for sitting there limply in shock.