Welcome to the Jungle (IC)

Darksider42

"Oh, that would be very scary," Stesha agreed sympathetically. "And you haven't been able to find out any more about what happened to you? Surely if you died and were resurrected, the coroner would've made a record of your processing that you could find. You might be able to learn more through their office." She took a contemplative sip of juice. "If you like, I have some friends who could make inquiries on your behalf. But I suppose that is secondary to what's really important. Have you been able to get settled in again after your strange return?"

"I had look at tag. Did not say much about who looked at me. Just mentioned my name and time of death. That was all. Does not offer much in way of leads sadly. I also check internet and other things. I do not seem to be on missing person lists or anything. As far as people know, I never existed before." There were other reasons why, but she was not going to say them. "But yes, if you have someone that will help, that would be good. As for me, a nice rice girl managed to organize a home for me near ocean. Nice spot, if you are dressed for winter. Plenty of water to practice ice and water powers." Lady Winter finished after taking another sip of her juice.

"I would need any information you feel comfortable giving me," Stesha replied meditatively, rubbing one hand absently over her stomach. "I understand that your secret identity is surely important to you, but whatever information you have could prove very helpful. Some of the people I know are very connected in all different areas of science, technology and infrastructure. They might be able to find more than you were able to access as a civilian." She sighed. "I know how disorienting it is to die and be resurrected, however it occurs. I would like to be able to help you find answers."

Lady Winter drummed her fingers against her knees erratically for a few seconds, biting her lip as she thought about it. "...I can give you my name. But yes, you understand why I should not give away such knowledge..." She was stalling, her mind was still stopping her from handing over that piece of information. The possibilities and dangers that entails could be bad for her. She shook her head and sighed, the air once more filled with mist. May as well take some risks. She did seem like a nice person, then again she did pose as such persons in the past. "Very Well. My actual name Is Dasha Morozov."

"I understand," Stesha assured her, writing the name down on a little notepad she pulled from the coffee table drawer so as not to forget it. "We all want to have private lives that are private, to keep ourselves and the people we care about safe." She smiled, trying to put the other woman at ease. "And it sounds like we may have some heritage in common. My name is Stesha, and I'm a Lispzyanka on my mother's side. She immigrated from Russia as a young woman, though. All my siblings and I were born in America."

Far more concerned about myself than loved ones. Dasha though. "Really? Must have been a nightmare to live with so many. I'm an only child, one was usually enough of crowd at home. Born in Russia and left as soon as I could. Fairly certain my own parents are doing fine." In all honesty, she really didn't care much for her parents. As far as she knew they had died from liver cancer, or are working their way towards liver cancer. Doubt they know I have left the country...Wouldn't be surprised if they couldn't remember me... She pushed that though out of her head and took another sip from her juice. Not a good time to start getting sad. "So then, what else is happening in life for you?"

"Siblings? Or parents?" Stesha asked with a chuckle. "It was all right most of the time, though I'd have given several eyeteeth for my own bedroom more than once. Right now I'm busy working on a grandchild for my mom," she joked, patting her tummy. "I just got married last month, but hey, we're all free and easy about that sort of things these days." She winked, not seeming terribly bothered by it. "The wedding was supposed to be months ago, but my fiance was kidnapped by space pirates on the other side of the galaxy while working to free a planet from oppression. You know how it goes." With any luck, a little "we're all hero girls here" gossip might help the uncomfortable weather controller to loosen up, and maybe raise the ambient temperature a few degrees in the bargain.

Congratulations on child and the marriage." Lady Winter said with a smile. "Have not encountered space pirates myself. Then again, I did stop aliens from another dimension from invading a few months back. But that is different story altogether." The Blue Russian rambled a bit. Thankfully, she was starting to get comfortable enough that the temperature was starting to get a little less chilly. "Not sure about that marriage and children thing right now. I doubt there is much market for blue skinned women. And children would be risky thing to have, especially with heroics and such." She took another sip from her juice and put the empty bottle onto the table. "Who is your husband anyway?"

"You'd almost certainly know him as Dark Star," Stesha replied, tabling the option of going for a throw blanket for the moment. "I don't know if you've worked with him, but he does a lot of good in Freedom City, and we're on the League's auxiliary team together. When he's not in town, he's usually very far out of town. He spent a couple of decades exploring the universe, and made many ties with other civilizations who still call on him from time to time."

Lady Winter Raised an eyebrow. "Dark Star is on the Auxiliary team? Would have though he would be on main team by now if things I have heard are true." Really, when one goes out of their way to save entire solar systems, they would be along side with the heavy hitters of the League. Course, its often hard to separate truth from fiction when it comes to some heroes. "I haven't done much work with other heroes. There was that Hellion man and met a few of those children from Young Freedom, but other than that you would be on the list of few superheros I met."

"Oh, it's not a matter of power," Stesha corrected with a laugh. "Dark Star is exceedingly powerful. It's a matter of how much of your time you want to devote to League business, and where you want to serve. Being on the Auxiliary allows both of us to help the League when needed in Freedom City, and to be a point of contact with other League teams, without having to give up our own pet hero jobs or travel too much. Being on the main League means spending most of your time solving problems all over the world, and that's just not the lifestyle we're looking for."

She took another cookie. "Do you work alone by choice, or is it simply that you haven't met many other heroes yet?"

"Does make sense." Lady Winter agreed. "Though I would think that Captain Thunder would have time for his own family. Other things to do in life that run around the world and save it." She said as she picked up a cookie and started nibbling on it. "As for other heroes, I have not had much luck in running into them in my travels. I've been across the city many times ruining the day of small time thugs, but I do not run into many. Other than the ones I have mentioned."

"Well, keep your eyes open next time the city gets into real trouble, and I'm sure you'll find some. Or they'll find you," Stesha corrected with a small smile on her face. "Freedom City has plenty of them." She tucked away the notepad for later and finished her juice. "You should take some of these cookies with you," she offered. "I've been baking nonstop for a month, possibly because having the oven on makes the kitchen so nice and warm."

"Yes. As I have noticed. Few times they have appeared, they always prove to be helpful...I've forgotten if I already thanked you for allowing me to help you. From looks of things, you would have done well on your own." Lady Winter said with sincerity. She looked down at the plate and blinked. "All that for me? Why thank you." She paused, then flinched a little. "Sorry, I'm saying thank you a bit too much. Wish I knew some other term ofter than that for gratitude." She said as the colour of her cheeks drained and the room seemed to loose much of its newly acquired chill.

"Thank you generally works just fine," Stesha assured her, rising from her seat. "Let me just get you a bag for those." She went over to the kitchen and rummaged around inside a flower, coming back soon with a large ziploc bag for the cookies. She neatly upended the tray into the bag and sealed it. "Now what's the best way to get in touch, if I manage to find something out?" she asked. "You can get in touch with me anytime." Reaching once more into the table drawer, she pulled out a card that smelled faintly of flowers, as indeed the plant controller herself did, and that gave Fleur de Joie's name, phone number, and website.

She took the card with a smile as she stood, the smell was nice. "Um...Well, I do have telephone. I should give you number. You could call me there, or you can visit at home. Never get working on making it comfortable for visitors. My number and address is [insert contact details here]" Lady Winter explained as best as she could. The look on her face revealed she wished she had a better command of the English language. "The cookies are good by the way. Wish I had the talent at cooking... And the common courage against things that burn of course. Another thing I should try and get back along with memories is my lack of fear such small things." she said as she accepted the zip-lock bag. It didn't seem to start freezing over like she was expecting.

"Fighting is scary, and a little bit of fear is healthy," Stesha told her encouragingly. "But I'm sure as you get more practice, you'll learn to overcome most of it. I was pretty terrified every time I got into a fight for the first six or seven months of hero work, but it gets a lot better. Let me drop you off." She reached out and touched Lady Winter's hand, just brushing the icy cold skin, and an instant of green later, they were back where they'd started. "It was nice talking to you. I'll be in touch as soon as I find out anything."

"Fighting itself does not scare me." Lady Winter reassured Stesha. "When your body seems to heal even the worse cuts, bruises and broken bones in short time, you don't fear getting into a brawl as much as I used to. Fire though, that is nothing to me but agonising pain." She explained. She was not prepaired for yet another jump through Fleurs ability to move through dimentions through plants again so soon and found herself a little dazed when she appeared once more close to the scene of their fight between the Plant Apes (Which thankfully seemed to have been cleaned up) "Oh yes. It was fun talking to you. I do hope something comes up from that." She said with a smile, though deep down she hoped they don't find some parts of her old life. Though that is starting to seem to be enevitable.