Welcome to the Jungle (IC)

Darksider42

GM:

The Hanover Institute of Technology. One of the finest institutions of higher education for Freedom city, teaching the greatest minds of tomorrow today! Though it seems right now that things have taken a turn for the worse. Five massive green shapes were running amok in the car park, smashing cars, beating their chests in savage fury and threating the lives of young college students as car parts went flying in the air. Not far off, two young (and rather nerdy looking) boys were trapped in a shouting match inside a room with a large gaping hole in the wall.

"Dude! I can't believe you talked me into this. I knew plant and gorilla DNA was meant to be separate. But no! I had to listen to you!" The thinner and hawkish of the two screamed, pulling out the hair from his head.

"B-But I thought it would be awesome! Plant gorilla butlers! People would pay a fortune to have one of those. Maybe dress them up in tuxedos and have them serve martinis..." The more rotund of the pair explained, somewhat oblivious to the damage going around. The hawkish teen just pinched the bridge of his nose and sighed.

"Great. We are going to get kicked out HIT because of you and your numbskull ideas..."

Who can stop this botanical terror before goes beyond the institute of technology? Can someone save the students who are close to being crushed? Only time will tell...

As with most superpowered disasters in Freedom City, it wasn't long before someone called the Freedom League for help! Within minutes, help arrived, in the form of a slightly rotund plant controller. Fleur de Joie popped out of a spruce tree not far from the parking lot and began trotting in the direction of the crashing noises and yelling. Her trademark cowl jacket was undone and flapped behind her as she jogged, looking around for the scene of the crime-in-progress.

Lady Winter sighed as she continued to slide across the Freedom City skyline on the same pathway of ice as she always did. So far, things had been quiet for the Blue Russian. It wasn't until she started her approach to Hanover that she started to hear the sound of car alarms. Coming from something of a slowly developing heroic instinct, she made course to the institute. Instead of robbers however, she found what looked like massive ape like creatures causing terror and destruction. Why are there...Ugh, I don't think I have it in me to ask whats going on at this point. She thought as a massive hammer of ice started to form in her hands. She started to come down low enough to be side by side with Fleur de Joie. "I take it you are here to help?" She asked as she stepped off her path and onto solid ground.

Fleur cocked her head, sizing up this new companion. "Yes, plants are something of a specialty of mine. I'll bet you're Lady Winter, aren't you?" she asked with a half smile. "I've heard of you. You froze some of my plants and beat up a friend of mine a few months ago. He still said nice things about you. I'm betting that freezing power will work just fine against plant monsters." She continued her jogging, but wasn't going too fast, and seeing as how she looked to be about five months pregnant, it wasn't hard to guess why.

Lady Winter let out a sigh that fogged up the air with mist. "Like I explain to others, That zombie came out of nowhere and attacked first. Screaming brains, looking like rotten corpse and rushing towards you with shovel ready to attack does not lead to good first impressions...Sorry about the plants though." She added with some colour draining from her cheeks. Lady Winter was able to keep up with Fleur, then again lacking a child and being surprisingly strong did lead to that sort of advantage.

As the pair got closer to the destruction, Largest ape of the group paused ripping out a car engine out of a unfortunate second hand car. With a bellowing roar it beated its chest with its massive fists. The other green apes discarded whatever junk they were pulverizing and started rushing towards the two heroine filled with primal fury! If primal fury was solar powered to a degree. The largest plant ape followed close behind, each step forcing the ground to shake with each step.

The massive ape of the group ran forward, causing bits of scrap scatterer across the ground to tremble and shake. A massive green fist entangled with vines is raised and comes crashing down on the Blue Russians head, but was stops on impact with a massive thud that did nothing to stop the Woman of Winter. She quite easily brushed its fist away from her face and brough her hammer down on the apes head. The Beast Roared in pain as it tried its best to keep its balance from the blow, but it had some difficulty as it staggered in place.

Fleur was panting for breath a little by the time she caught up with the action, but it didn't stop her from taking action. Planting her feet on the ground, she extended her arm, fingers pointed at the biggest monster. "No plants move except as I wish them!" she informed the monster sternly. Closing her hand into a fist, she drew her hand back as though physically pulling something away from the plant monster. It howled in agony and doubled over, bits of leaves and branch beginning to wither and fall away under the plant manipulator's quiet wrath!

The smaller Plant Apes change course from Lady Winter to Fleur De Joie as soon as they saw their leader slowly decompose from the plant controllers might. The ran forward, vine-like fists trying to bash and smash Fleur, but their own numbers got in the way and her own natural agility, though impared, was more than enough to dodge the rain of fists from harming her. Kinda pitiful when you stop to think about it.

The massive giant plant/primate staggered back and forth, whatever resembled a brain still trying to put itself back together desperately as its body decomposed and welted away at an alarming pace. Lady Winter made her move then and there. Crouching low, she leaped up into the are and brought the full power of her hammer into the primates face. The blow was tremendous, enough to send the massive ape flying across the air and land head first into a unharmed car. The impact crumpled the roof and set the alarm blaring.

Stesha yelped in alarm as the plant monsters descended, doubling over to protect her abdomen from the descending fists. Lucky for her and her peace of mind, the blows merely bounced off, the leaves and branches simply unable to injure her. Vines began boiling up from the ground like thick green snakes, wrapping around the plant monsters.One of them managed to escape, but the others were caught up in the maelstrom, vines growing and entangling them till two could hardly be seen at all.

The trapped plant apes panicked! They struggled desprately to break free from their bonds, but alas the vines summoned forth by Fleur De Joie were too thick and strong from them to rip away. One only one that managed to avoid the fate of its brothers tried to strike our heroine, but its attack was far too clumsy and stuck nothing but the air. The Partially bound Ape also tried, though he was more sucessful at getting closer, his fist none the less felt nothing but the air as well. Not far off the Massive Plant Ape Prime was still dazed from the Blue Russians attack, its body still struggling to break free from the tangled mess of wrecked metal.

Lady Winter was about to summon forth her frozen path and continue her assult on the massive gorilla...plant...Thing, when she saw out of the corner of her eye Fleur being assulted by the other plant apes. She is gonna need some back up. She though as she raised her hand. A second later, a plast of cold air and rappidly forming hail was sent russing forward towards one of the Apes. It struck one of them dead in the face and it was soon seen snapping free from his loose bonds...Only to be sent flying through the surrounding gates of the institution, soaring past incoming traffic and slam right into a building just across the street. Lady winter let out a low hiss. Speaking from experience, that hurts.

Two of the plant monsters were safely contained in a barrier of vines, Stesha saw when the dust cleared, one more had been knocked across the street by Lady Winter. That left one plant monster up, healthy, and absolutely raring to start beating on her again. It hadn't worked last time, but if it slipped even one good hit past her defenses...

Stesha stabbed a finger at the monster, letting fear and anger amp up her power even further. "You don't hit me!" she yelled at it. "You never hit me!" The monster stopped in its tracks, shuddered for a moment, and then literally fell apart into withered, dry, dead branches and leaves. Stesha took a deep breath.

Lady Winter blinked and watched as Fleur reduced the gorilla to dead bits of refuse. "...Please Remind me not to enrage you." She said. She though the job was done untill she heard the sound of the Largest ape of the group suddenly rip free of its scrap bonds and stand over the ruined car. Lady Winter sighed as she kicked off the ground and started slidin across the sky on the ice pathway forming underneath her feet. Raising her hand, she sent forth another torrent of ice and hail at the primate. The blow struck the half plant/ half beast and it it lost its footing, nearly tripping over the wreck it stood on.

"This. Fight. Is. Over." Stesha pointed her finger once again at the largest plant monster, the one that was already half in pieces. It dissolved where it stood, leaving a pile of burnt foliage behind. Wordlessly, she pointed at each remaining monster, performing the same action. The vines retracted into the ground once more, leaving the two heroes alone but for the crackle of dead leaves.

Stesha took a deep breath, rubbing her hands together. "Is it freezing out here, or is it just me? Or maybe you? Let's go inside."

Yes, deffientally do not enrage the plant woman in the future. Lady Winter thought as she slid back next to Fleur. She watched as each plant creature was reduced to nothing but decaying brush and dead leaves. The Blue Russian was at least glad she was not formed of the same matter as them.

She reached her hand out and felt the air around her. "I am not sure. Feels better than when I got here. But why not go inside. Looks depressing out here."

"Would you like a cup of coffee?" Fleur suggested. "I have a cottage with a coffeemaker that I can take us too. It's not much, but no one is there to look twice at a couple of costumed heroes." She chuckled."Anyway, I feel bad that I haven't gotten a chance to meet you yet. I try to meet as many heroes as I can, but I suppose you and I don't really work in the same field most of the time."

"I'm not much for coffee, it tends to go cold quickly. Cold coffee is really not that good." Lady Winter said as her face scrunched up at the thought of the taste. "Though, I do not mind going to your cottage. I do not often meet other heroes in this city." Lady Winter said as she dropped her rather massive ice hammer onto the ground. Signs of it melting already were starting to show, even in this weather. "I hope you do not hate the cold too much. Some small side effect of powers."

Stesha pursed her lips, suddenly looking a little less certain. "Well, anything you can do to be less cold would be appreciated," she admitted. "My cottage is made of plants, and they do suffer a little in extreme cold. But I'm sure we'll make do." She touched the blue woman on the arm, and suddenly the world was full of green light and a smell like fresh pine needles. Seconds later, they came out in a cottage made of plants, furnished like a cozy little apartment, complete with kitchenette. Lamps in the corners provided warm light, while a space heater hummed pleasantly. "Would you like juice or water instead of coffee?" Stesha offered.

"I'll try my best, do not worry to much. I'm sure that- Wait, plant cottage?" But before Lady Winter could get an answer the world became a riot of sheer greenery as she found herself in the home of her ally. "Huh. Like own cottage, just much greener." She noted as she looked around briefly.

"Uh, yes thanks. Juice will do fine." She said, shoving her hands into her pockets. She got the distinct feeling that she really shouldn't let skin come into contact with anything here. It would be rude to damage her hosts home after all.

Luckily for Lady Winter, the furniture and household goods in the cottage were made of more conventional materials, so she could sit down on the sofa without damaging anything. Stesha brought over a tray with two bottles of orange juice and a plate of chocolate chip cookies and sat down in the chair opposite the couch. "So what brought you to Freedom City?" she asked curiously. "I've heard all sorts of talk about how good you are in a fight, but not much about you yourself."

Lady Winter sat down on the sofa, at least trying to keep her hands to herself none the less. "Thank you again." Said said as she picked up one of the bottles of juice. "My fighting skills are not that impressive. It is just simply smashing something with something heavy or freeze it and wait for police to come. Though I do like the compliment. As for me, I'm just a normal woman that woke up with blue skin and ice powers...And with more than a few gaps on how that happened. "

"So you don't know how you got your powers?" Stesha asked with interest, selecting a cookie from the tray. "That's a little bit strange. It must have been quite a shock for you! When did it happen?" Always interested in learning more about new people, she sat back in her chair and folded her legs, sipping her juice and listening.

"It was...Strange." Lady Winter said, unscrewing the cap off and taking a sip. "Last thing I remember before getting my powers was coming to Freedom City, along with doing some work here. Next thing I know, I am breaking out of iceberg off the coast of Freedom City wearing nothing but medical gown and one of those coroner's tags on my toe at least a few months ago, at least a month or two before running into your dead friend." She shuddered as that day slipped into her mind. She shook her head and drank more of her juice. "I have some vague memories of wanting superpowers for some reason, but I cannot remember why I would be desperate enough to do what I think was killing myself to get them. Frightening and stupid things maybe. I do not know."